TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Gave Rust a go (thanks Jeshibu!), spent an hour running around naked hitting trees with rocks and trying to find the ever elusive stones (urgh it's so hard to tell em apart from regular scenery rocks). This basically sums up my experience:

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not big on crafting / survival games but the MP brings a bit of an interesting aspect. The community was surprisingly supportive and I ran into one other guy ingame who insisted I follow him around for a while but eventually lost track of him.

This and that. Limited by time, interest, and an old slow computer.

What should I be playing?

Moderator and Priest
    Dark Souls!

What Renz said.

El Shagmeister
    Hear-fucking-hear.

Banner Saga - Uninstalled. The wannabe viking stuff is great and all, but it's not "let's fight the same battle over and over for 10 hours" great.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - Not awful, just highly mediocre in the same way the Deadpool game was, except I don't really give a shit about Spiderman enough to keep playing. Uninstalled.

Waves - Let's make a less fun Geometry Wars where the main gimmick seems to be that you're a ball that rolls really slowly. Uninstalled.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Totally bounced off this the first time I tried to play it, but this time I figured out that the entire game is parrying, dodging, and ninja-run-sliding so it's a bit better. My god are the facial expressions and the entirety of the writing cringe-inducing, though.

Kingdoms Of Amalur + DLC - Attempt #2 at cracking this after I finish Revengeance.

So as I mentioned in the Prey thread I've finished the game off. This is easily the best System Shock 2 inspired game that I've played. The first two Bioshock games were pretty good, but this is FAR MORE of what made SS2 what it is.

Would I play this again - Hell yeah. The end is a bit meh, but the rest of the game as a whole is fantastic. Great character development (which in this case I'm more meaning character skills / stats upgrading via neuromods), combat is great though it takes some getting used to. Loved the hacking, and the options the game gives you with things quite regularly, with obstacles having multiple solutions. Very open ended all round really. Game has a great way of tracking quests, the fact the you can track specific crew members (often needed in search of keycards) is essential at times. Oh and the recycler grenades are amazing. Best thing in a FPS that I've seen in ages.

Some great natural scares early on. For a long time the mimics had me jumping out of my chair as I'd keep forgetting to put on my helmet scanning thingy to scan rooms, and so go to loot a desk and have cup suddenly jump and attack me. Which would result in me yelling GAHHHH and being thrown off for a good few seconds. Loved moments like that.

One criticism I have is that barely anyone in the audio logs even mentions the Typhon. So for ages playing through the game I was wondering if Morgan was going bonkers, as often when they actually were mentioned it was by someone who was crazy or going in that sort of direction. You would think that people in a ship being invaded by aliens would make mentions about it. But nope. Barely ever until MUCH later on. Game had me on edge quite a bit, in the same way that System Shock 2 does, with the respawning enemies etc etc, you never can be truly sure that an area is clear when you return later. Well as long as you'd changed to another map and then came back (unlike SS2 where enemies respawned after a certain amount of time had passed).

Loved the character upgrade options. I mostly just went for the non Typon based ability and buffs. Good range of items to choose from for stat upgrades (for attaching to your suit). Besides the ending, the game as a whole from beginning to the end (not counting what happened after the credits) was excellent.

As a mega fan of the System Shock series as a whole, with SS2 being my favorite, I HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone who loved that game, as there is a high chance you'll love this as well. I sure did.

9/10 (lost 1 point due to the ending and the audio logs).
    Last edited by icemann; 12th Aug 2017 at 07:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Kingdoms Of Amalur + DLC - Attempt #2 at cracking this after I finish Revengeance.
    Remember that KoA was originally meant to be a MMO, but got turned into a singleplayer game after they ran out of funds. Do not attempt to complete every sidequest or faction mission unless you wish to burn out before getting halfway through the main campaign, but do take a few moments to learn where the two mini-campaign DLCs start as they're actually quite decent.

I have a feeling it will be like last time, where I just made it out of the technicolor candyland forest and into the desert before running out of steam, because I generally hate open world games, but I'm going to give it a legitimate try.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finally finished my replay of Thief: Deadly Shadows. Only played it on XBox back then, but now I went through it on PC with the Sneaky Mod. I liked it better this time around. The gameplay is still basically just a more clunky version of Thief 1/2's gameplay, with smaller levels, but I do think it does a good job of wrapping up the story. And having the finale play out all over the city, complete with NPC AI's fighting eachother randomly in the street, was pretty cool.

Just finished Hollow Knight, with 90% completion. I think I can leave it at that for now. That last boss... I must've tried about 20-30 times, with the game making it very difficult at times for me not just to give up. (Basically you can't just refight that boss, you always have to do a bit that takes several minutes beforehand.) The design of the final boss itself and its various stages is pretty nifty, but the bit just before that... Gah. Still, very good game and made with a sense of love and dedication that is very rare.

Next up: What Remains of Edith Finch, which I hope is light on challenge, because Hollow Knight was challenging enough.

Also, I did finish Horizon: Zero Dawn over the weekend. It's good but at least for me it's not great, mainly because I prefer more urban open worlds and the main character didn't do much for me. Technically it's a wonder, though. Anyway, I've now returned to Tales from the Borderlands (I'm at episode 5), and I'd definitely say that in spite of the tired formula it works really well. You have to click with its sense of humour, and for me that's only true about 75% of the time, but when it works it's goofy and cool and surprisingly poignant at times.

Tonight I gave "GTA - Vice City Stories" a try.

So you know those times when a sequel comes out many years later to a movie you loved and it shits on everything that was great about that movie? Well this is that. In game form.

The main character is an idiot, the other characters are irritating to the point that I celebrated when I thought one of them had died, there is an excessive amount of racism against Mexican's (or in this games case it calls them "Chollo's"). The radio music is about 3/4 bad and only 1/4 good.

Man, going from Prey to this. Gah.

Controls are fine, same as Vice City.

A decade and a bit ago I played Liberty City stories on my PSP. That was pretty good. Had a lot of made GTA 3 great. This on the other hand is terrible.

[edit]
    Progressed a bit further and the game improved a bit. Main characters less of an idiot now. And he turned against the irritating characters. Well 2 of them. So not all bad I guess. I'll stick with it for a bit longer.
    Last edited by icemann; 13th Aug 2017 at 16:01.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm not playing it yet, OBVIOUSLY, but I will be!

Super Mario Odyssey! Finally, after 20 years, I have the Super Mario 64 sequel I've always wanted! TWENNY DAMN YEARS! I AM OLD!

Maybe twenty years is becoming the new five-year development cycle, Renz. I look forward to my Drakan successor in 2019.

Playing Planescape Torment EE now, my last title from the original Infinity Engine batch. The plot's got me hooked, the characters are interesting and yes, the writing and options are generally a cut above, so I'm definitely into it. On the other hand, the combat and itemisation are as dull as reputation held, the UI is still rather obtuse even in the EE and the game's not a looker. The environment art is detailed and appropriately moody, but there's only so much you can get from fifty shades of brown.

So yeah, I'm into it for the writing. Trick with that is that I need to tread carefully to avoid spoilers, as my time's limited and I tend to hit up walkthroughs regularly. Unfortunate, but these days I rarely get to play during the week.

I went and bought >Observer_ after this review tipped me over:

About an hour into it, but so far it feels like a massive improvement over the devs' last game: Layers of Fear.

Looks quite interesting .

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    Maybe twenty years is becoming the new five-year development cycle, Renz. I look forward to my Drakan successor in 2019.
    Eyyyy. Don't get my hopes up like that.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Super great from beginning to almost the end. I think the game could do a better job explaining its mechanics (which is why I think I bounced off of it so hard the first time), and it occasionally forgets I'm playing a game and not watching a movie, but overall I enjoyed it. The last phase of the final boss fight can get pretty fucked, though. And the DLC isn't particularly interesting. The one where you play as Sam seems to focus entirely on the parts of MGRR that aren't fun, and the stuff with Blade Wolf is ok but not exceptional.

Kingdoms Of Yawnalur: Reckon You Got French Fried Taters In Thar - Cleared out the tutorial, cleared out the first "zone", remembered that the game is basically an MMO where you go through and clear out distinct zones, saw that I had about 80 more to go, uninstalled.

Rez: Infinite - Still playing, but man is it great to have Rez on PC. Haven't touched Area X yet, but the original stages are as good as I remember. Also fuck VR.

Uplink - Haven't started it yet.

The Legend Of Korra - Don't care whatsoever about the source material, but after a few chapters it feels like a Platinum game with tons of parrying and ridiculous slo-mo enemy death.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Eyyyy. Don't get my hopes up like that.
    My bad, didn't mean that as a rickroll trick.

Besides, since Drakan 2 came out in 2002, it'd be 2022.

Yeah, but it was a PS2 exclusive so I never got to play it, I'm bitter about that.

Moderator and Priest
    Psst. Hey. Emulators. PCSX2. Get yo groove on.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, you could always emulate it in a fit of post-platform pique. As a matter of fact, I never played the sequel either. Maybe I should remedy that.

Edit: oh yeah, ninja'd by what Renz said but less eloquently. Renz, word better or someone's gonna snatch your banders, man, it's a thing I didn't make up and it's gonna happen to you like totes.

I also loved Drakan but never played the console-exclusive sequel.
    We should all do something about that.

Moderator and Priest
    I ain't know what banders is.

Page 446 of 463 FirstFirst ... 196346396401406411416421426431436441442443444445446447448449450451456461 ... LastLast