TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Also, does Divinity 2 count as a Drakan successor?

Chakat sex pillow
    If you meant Divinity: Dragon Commander, it's kinda halfway there but also not, you know? (It's missing the, uh, Tomb Raider element, y'see. Yes, those are priorities.)

Renz: I guess you'll find out when they're not there anymore then, won'tcha.

Edit: ah right, my bad. You're talking about Ego Draconis. I guess I totally forgot about that one because it was pretty bland from the start. I can't remember if it was any good. Was it any good?
    Last edited by Sulphur; 17th Aug 2017 at 15:14.

Moderator and Priest
    Is banders be my nuts?

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, not exactly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    500 hours? That's almost 21 days. In a bit over 3 months? That's... maybe overdoing it a bit.

You guys have a point about the emulation route. Never bothered with that sort of thing before, but I don't see a new one on the horizon. Psygnosis was a Sony subsidiary, but I doubt anyone there would even remember owning the license.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I also loved Drakan but never played the console-exclusive sequel.
    We should all do something about that.
    I feel a montage coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    I feel a montage coming on.
    hums Eye of the Tiger

Moderator and Priest
    Any montage done here needs to be to the tune of Hot Blooded by Foreigner.

Rising up, back on the street. Did my time, took my chances...

Moderator and Priest
    Well, I'm hot blooded, check it and see, I got a fever of a hundred and three...

You remind me of the babe...

Moderator and Priest
    What babe?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Edit: ah right, my bad. You're talking about Ego Draconis. I guess I totally forgot about that one because it was pretty bland from the start. I can't remember if it was any good. Was it any good?
    Yes. Yes it was quite good.
    Mostly the writing, humour, music, and getting to fly around as a dragon. And Bellegar, of course.

Everyone should be playing Rez Infinite. My god, I can't believe Rez was ported to PC. Best railshooter ever made.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I wish there was a demo for Rez Infinite, as I'm not really getting the big whoop from the trailer.

Thing What Kicks
    Rez Infinite's good, and is nice to have in VR. Area X is probably the best bit of it for VR, although it's more a tech demo than a full thing at the mo. But I reckon Polybius is going to be the abstract shooter to play when it finally hits PC.

I enjoyed Rez Infinite, but for me it's not the quasi-religious experience that it seems to have been for others.

I liked playing Rez again, but it's lost a lot of its impact for me, even in VR. I don't know if it's because it's really easy without a low maximum reticle movement speed, or because the on-ear headphones aren't great at immersing you in the music. Right now it's just pleasant. I'll check out Area X later, maybe that'll do it for me.

Senua is definitely something for the headphones. Just started playing, and even with default on-board soundcard, the voices are really making me unconfortable. So far this is walking, running, climbing, jumping, sometimes-combat simulator with environment puzzles and strong horror vibe, so that might be not everyone's cup of tea.

Regarding Senua's Sacrifice: Almost every hallucination, delusion, visual distortion or post-processing effect and sound effect comes straight from the real-life experiences of real people with psychosis -- even, to a degree, the puzzles! The whole game, as an authentic rendering of a specific mental illness, is an incredible, bold achievement.

In case anyone playing doesn't know: they worked closely with several mental health professionals (including a University of Cambridge neuroscience professor, who they gave top billing on the game), and brought in real psychosis and voice hearing patients at multiple stages of the game's development for input and feedback. They went to great lengths to make this an authentic, empathetic experience and I feel it really shows.

But it often isn't conventionally fun. It grows into a harrowing experience.

I recommend researching some combat tips, as I've seen several people finish the game without realizing several different moves even existed, especially... after certain points in the game. I don't think it's much of a spoiler to learn some of the combat outside of the game because the game doesn't really teach you any of it, and doesn't give you any opportunity to practice the controls and combos outside of actual fights.

And if the combat starts to feel tedious, don't hesitate to drop the level down. On my second playthrough, I played it mostly on Easy, and I think I enjoyed it better that way. On my first playthrough, I started it on Normal, raised it to Hard, then dropped it to Normal. Easy isn't all that easy, and it isn't all that different of an experience than Hard. The fights just last longer. So if at some point you start to find the combat isn't your thing and you feel it becomes a distraction from being able to appreciate the rest of the experience, don't hesitate to drop it down to Easy. It's not really a combat-oriented game, anyways.

Gaming is funny. Prey is mechanically far more aligned with being my ideal game, but of games I've played in recent years, Senua's Sacrifice is far more likely to stick with me for good.

Thing What Kicks
    I'm one achievement away from unlocking an extra stash tab as a reward in Diablo 3's current season. ONE.
    Dagnabbit, this game has really got its hooks into me again. All I'm doing is pushing up numbers, but I can't stop playing.
    I finally cottoned on to something late last night that makes getting gear a lot easier as well, and can't believe I didn't know about it before. Still, at least it means I should get that achievement tonight. Then I can be done. Right? RIGHT?!

Chakat sex pillow
    A bunch of hours into Observer, and it's very nice, aesthetically, but the rest... well. Rutger Hauer sounds like a pleasantly bored alcoholic with a very Mr. New Vegas genial charm, which is an interesting read on the character. (If I'm being less generous, it's likely he was sloshed and pleasantly bored during the VO sessions.)

The writing is... well, it has its good points, but the delivery's pretty hammy. Hopping into people's mindspaces shows that the brain is essentially an abstract dreamscape*, or a generic horror tape riddled with corruption and stock scares forever on loop, or both. The jump scares from Layers of Fear are all over the place in these segments; at best they're not very effective, and at worst I rolled my eyes so hard I went fucking cross-eyed for a minute.

The setting's pretty much standard cyberpunk future - corporate hegemony, poverty and squalor, drugs, and regret. All fine if executed well, which the visuals keep telling me they have, at least from a rendering standpoint. It's very slick graphically, lots of detail and moody lighting and anachronistic 80s-style computer terminals. While the story struggles to make me care about anyone in it, the details manage to remain interesting enough that I want to continue - there's conspiracy and theft and murder, and if you dig around enough, suitably awful depictions of what the world of future tech holds, like when you stumble into a home-grown biomass enthusiast's apartment.

*The glitchy iconography/art style during the mindjacking sequences scream 'demoscene' to me; I wonder if bloober team's artists came from that side of techtown.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 22nd Aug 2017 at 06:59.

Yesterday evening I finished Tales from the Borderlands (PS4). I don't think it's as good as its biggest fans say; the plot is a mess, which doesn't have to be a problem, but this is still too plot-driven not to suffer somewhat. Some of the humour also falls flat, which can only sometimes be justified by the characters being less clever than they think. Nevertheless, it does a lot of things right and IMO is an example of the Telltale formula working well.

Still, I'm in the mood for something a bit more involved now. I'm thinking I'll probably play Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry and then Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hmm. I consider TftB as Telltale's best after TWD S1. The plot did kinda fall apart towards the end because it had to reconcile all those branching decision trees, but the journey there was easily one of their best outings, IMO. I laughed quite a bit throughout its runtime, and when I wasn't, it always had a winning sense of charm that more often than not carried it onwards to the next successful bit.

Having said that, I'm done with Telltale at this point. It's likely they've spread their talent too thin, with both of their recent attempts - Batman and TWD S3 - delivering very little flavour to the uninspired stories they're telling. I'm no longer in the zone where I'd get something they made sight unseen.

Humour is generally tricky because it depends so much on personal taste. I think it's more rare to find someone going, "I like drama, but I don't like *that* kind of drama." I enjoyed TftB and it has a lot of charm, but there were a few small things that kept me from enjoying it as much as others, e.g.:
    spoiler:
    • I didn't like the way the game actively seemed to push for a Rhys-Sasha relationship, even if you could say no in the end.
    • Talking of Sasha, I never quite warmed to her, and as a result her sacrifice didn't mean much to me. (I'm more of a Fiona guy.)
    • Gortys, while nice, fell a bit short of how cute the game seemed to think I'd find her.
    • Similarly, I didn't think Loader Bot was as great a character as the game thought he was. (I was reminded a bit of the people who talk about how sad they felt when they had to destroy the Companion Cube, when I thought that the whole point of the joke is that GlaDOS doesn't get how real emotional connection works.)

I also think that Telltale will have to step up their game for me to buy another one. I don't expect them to completely change what they do, but the writing has somewhat fallen into a rut and at least in the more serious, dramatic series the bad facial animations really put me off. The voice acting is usually good, but if the characters pull faces like they're in the worst kind of children's TV, it's difficult to take what's going on seriously.

Page 447 of 463 FirstFirst ... 197347397402407412417422427432437442443444445446447448449450451452457462 ... LastLast