TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 453 of 459 FirstFirst ... 203353403408413418423428433438443448449450451452453454455456457458 ... LastLast
Results 11,301 to 11,325 of 11473

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

hmm I just finished Tokyo Dark as well, thought it was cool, but a little half baked. It really highlights the potential for such games.
    And I dont mean VN stuff, but the combination of point and click and vn with animation, I could really see some excellent IF in this vein.
    Last edited by PigLick; 13th Sep 2017 at 11:04.

Half baked's a good way of putting it. Like their list of key features makes it seem like they were planning on going further with some of that stuff but it didn't happen for whatever reason. In particular the sanity/professionalism/investigation/neurosis meters seem pretty pointless. It's mentioned in the beginning and then seemingly just abandoned, and maybe it makes some difference behind the scenes, but even if it does it seems like there aren't that many opportunities to affect them. And they actually list puzzle solving as a key point when there is one single puzzle in the entire game; it really could've used more adventure game elements to flesh it out. Still, if they make another one of these I'm interested enough to check it out.

Moderator and Priest
    Dunno where else to put this, but...

A bit of news I never expected to hear, Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus are coming to the Switch

I imagine they'll both sport lower res textures, and be running at 720p, but it's still crazy to think that the Switch is powerful enough to run these games.

So, after chipping away at it when I've had the time, I finished off Tex Murphy - The Pandora Directive.

Overall this is easily the best game in the series so far (yep I've now said that what 2 times now?). It's not perfect though as it gives "The 7th guest" a run for it's for it's money when it comes to puzzles. Hell, I'd say that this one has even harder ones. Some of them are just plain evil. How you'd be able to figure them out without a friggin walkthrough I dunno. It easily has the best FMVs of the series to this point. Complete with excellent acting (except for the acting by the guy who played "Rook", though his was amusing most of the time). Some damn fine scenes. A lot of soul to this game.

Music is half half. You hear the main tunes more often than not, and quite a few of the sections have singular paths to getting through tricky spots which got annoying fast. There was 2 conversations in particular that had a heap of dialog options, but only one path to beating them. Very annoying.

At first I quite liked the addition of currency into the gameplay, but then about 3/4 way through my play through I completely ran out which if it weren't for being able to trade points for cash I'd have been COMPLETELY stuck. Turns out I'd missed out on 2 important little side activities (filling out a crossword puzzle and then sending it in, and in another location later on in a locker). So the loss of points cost me the "best ending". Grrrr. If your going to have currency in a game, have easier ways to get more (eg have gambling, or some mini game location where you can get more), rather than only having it in easy to miss places. Otherwise playing the game with a walkthrough all the time is a MUST, which takes half the fun away. As it was, I had to use one on a semi-regular basis. I did do my best not to use it all the time, but you get stuck often in this game.

In Under a Killing Moon none of those things was EVER an issue, but then that game lacked the killer FMVs and overall story that this has + it's a shorter game. So this one wins out. FMV's wise, this one is nearly on the level of Wing Commander 4 which had the best FMVs that I've ever seen in a game. This one comes close, but not quite there. Great scenes though.

One little touch I didn't discover until AFTER I'd beaten the game was the discovery that this has light RPG elements in it, where choices made have knock on effects later on, which have an overall effect on the ending you get. Of which there is something like 8 endings. I take my hat off to Access Software on that one.

2 games to go and then I'm done with the series. Overseer which is apparently a partial remake/reboot of the first game "Mean Streets" (except that it's retold in the "present" by Tex), and then the Kickstarter funded "Tesla Effect".

Since Star Wars Battlefront (+ DLC) was extremely cheap last week (about US$5), I got it, mainly because the game does a fantastic job of recreating the visuals of the OT. Seriously, the Frostbite engine's lighting is gorgeous.

However, even at that price the game itself is really not good. Most twitch shooters are shallow, but this beats them all, at least from a quick first impression. I will probably check out all the levels for the sheer AV spectacle, but beyond that I don't think I'll put any time into this. I expected it to be fun but to get old fast, but it got old pretty much the moment I started playing.

Last night I gave "Inner Chains" a try. A game I backed on Kickstarter a year or so ago. This is a very weird game.

The first 30-40 minutes is more a walking simulator than anything. Then it became a proper FPS. Damn fine graphics. Easily the best part of the game is the graphics. Kinda reminds me of that demonic otherworldly type look that Quake 1 has.

Combat is ok. Game needs more weapons. All I have so far is a lightning gun and my fists, except that I can't work out how to switch back to the fists. So just the lightning gun then. I quite like that you have no idea what in the hell anyone is saying to you. Comes out as gibberish. And the writing on walls in the game starts off being gibberish as well, but as you find "letters" (spread out in mostly off the beaten track areas), those gibberish words start to become readable as you begin to understand the language. That's very cool.

Rest of the game though. I dunno. Too early to say. The game uses check point saves only which means LOT'S of redoing 10-20 minutes of gameplay. Hate that in FPS games. Grrr.

Now have 3 weapons + alternate fire mods on two of those 3.

This game is so Quake 1-ish / H.R Giger inspired. It also puts me in the head space of living in an alternate timeline where Half-Life never came out, where FPS games stuck to their "pure" roots. That's what this game feels like. Loving the look to it + the hell inspired story line, with the holy/hell book verses on the walls that I thankfully can now read in full (as I've unlocked most of the letters now). Kinda reminds me of the 90s FPS game "Chasm - The Dark Rift" minus the body part dismemberment.

Game just needs gore. The games set in hell (or I think it is, it sure looks like it is) for fucks sake. You see gore all over the walls, and everywhere you go, but you can't gib / blow chunks off enemies. They just die and disappear into a pile of slime every time. Regardless of which enemy it is or where on their body that you shoot them or of which weapon / fire mode that you use. You hear the same damn music track everywhere in the game. Slowly getting annoying. Luckily the one track goes for a while and works it's way more into the background, but if they just used different tracks per level / chapter it would have a monumental difference to the game. Hell, even if they just put Trent Reznor's music tracks in that would improve the game a fair bit.

Dying in this game is so annoying due to the lack of manual saving and stupid checkpoints. Add to that, when you die you see a quick white skull loading screen that appears for like 2-3 seconds and then your back at the last checkpoint before you've really had a chance to take in what happened. I hate check point saving (in FPS games). Lazy programming. Movement is quite slow. The player character moves slow like he's got something heavy on his back. If old school FPS was the intended design, then fast movement would have been much better.

So I can see why this game hasn't done well on one hand as it's appeal is more to a niche audience, but then I'm really enjoying much of it regardless due to it's Quake 1/Chasm/old school FPS style vibe.

[edit]
    And I beat the game. Final boss battle was ok, nothing special. Only 3 weapons though. Damn. So a good game sure. It just's rough around the edges and just needed more in it.

The way the game ends though. Very confusing. I sort of get the in-game lore reason for it, but nothing feels resolved. More of things coming full circle. I guess that was the intention. Hmm. Either way, I got my moneys worth by Kickstarter standards. A good investment.

I just finished Salt and Sanctuary a few days ago. I wasn't sure initially how souls-like game mechanics would work in 2D but this game has pulled it off pretty well IMO.

I didn't use a shield despite putting some levels into it, until the last boss battle because I found them quite clumsy given how much they limit your movement (you can't turn around while blocking and your movement speed is much slower).

Played through the "No Compromise" DLC for Watch Dogs 2. Not as good and not as long as "Human Conditions". I was through the singleplayer missions in about 2-3 hours. It's ok. Could have used double the content that it does have.

5/10

[edit]
    Then went to give "Tex Murphy - Overseer a go. Hmm. This game does not run well on modern systems, and even after some tinkering I've still not been able to get it to run right. First off I have to say that this games FMVs are on the level of Wing Commander 4 this time round. Damn fine stuff. But then I ran into an error message that would pop up often:

error code does not indicate

Which it turns out was a midi driver (for the game) issue. After doing some searching I discovered that I needed to install VirtualMidiSynth and a sfArk file, then setting the game to use the Microsoft MIDI Mapper (in it's in-game config) which 100% fixed that. Then I got to the first playable (after the first lot of dialog) location and much of the textures and objects in the game are see through, which isn't how it should be. Online guides tell me to put some dgVoodoo dll's into the games main install folder, which I did but caused the game to lockup. This will require further tinkering, which I hopefully will get working in the end. Would love to see this series through.

I should note that this game like the others is a re-release by Night Dive, and for them to release the game in this state is just pathetic. Ensuring that a game not just runs, but runs well without tinkering is a MUST for Steam releases. And for them to not even provide the necessary fixes before releasing this game on Steam is really unprofessional. If this was a version on GOG I'd be more forgiving, but for Steam, hell no. If you take a look at the user reviews for the game it has nearly all bad reviews of which all of them are due to these issues. Very bad form Night Dive.

[edit 2]
    And I've had to give up. Game is unplayable. I'm really appalled at Night Dive. None of the "fixes" work. My only hope is a fan remake, that has the support of Big Finish Games (Makers of Tesla Effect), that is slated for release next year.

Hmm. Well that puts my play through of the series to an end till then. Onto the next game then. Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by icemann; 23rd Sep 2017 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Ensuring that a game not just runs, but runs well without tinkering is a MUST for Steam releases.
    That's the way it should be, but it isn't always the case. I wanted to play a series of Star Wars FPS games on Steam. Dark Forces made DOSbox crash, and Jedi Knight, according to the Steam forums, requires following an elaborate 12-step plan before you can play it correctly. I said fuck it and moved on to Jedi Outcast, which I'm now playing. That's a Quake 3 engine game, games using that engine usually work well on modern systems. Takes an .ini hack to be able to run it in 1920x1080, but otherwise works fine.

I also remember Hexen not playing correctly when I bought it on Steam. But I intended to play it in a Doom engine source port anyway (and proceeded to do so), so that wasn't a problem.

IRT QTE's,

Them dying off is a great thing. i kinda get why they existed, but it just becomes stupid if they don't give you some ability to impact how a cutscene plays out. Only place I've seen them done right was in the Spiderman 3 game. I remember my roomate deliberately failing QTE's at different stages because doing so would result in Spiderman derping and dying rather hilariously. I remember one where if you miss the QTE he also misses a jump and splats unceremoniously into a metal pipe before sliding off the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    That's the way it should be, but it isn't always the case. I wanted to play a series of Star Wars FPS games on Steam. Dark Forces made DOSbox crash, and Jedi Knight, according to the Steam forums, requires following an elaborate 12-step plan before you can play it correctly. I said fuck it and moved on to Jedi Outcast, which I'm now playing. That's a Quake 3 engine game, games using that engine usually work well on modern systems. Takes an .ini hack to be able to run it in 1920x1080, but otherwise works fine.

I also remember Hexen not playing correctly when I bought it on Steam. But I intended to play it in a Doom engine source port anyway (and proceeded to do so), so that wasn't a problem.
    What annoys me, is that the earlier games in the series (also distributed by Night Dive) run nearly flawless (though not perfect) in Steam thanks to Dosbox emulation that comes with it, and yet this one which is the first in the series to be Windows only, does not run straight out of the box. Instead it needs a process by the user of getting everything fixed, which in my case still did not fix everything. All of it should have been done in a newly made installer. Instead they just released the game as is, with no mention at all about the issues on the games store page. It's just plain wrong imo.

If this was a new game release, people would be screaming bloody murder over it. But since Overseer is a niche game, that's only played by a far lower amount of people that they managed to get away with it. It's certainly lowered my respect for the company (Night Dive), and I'll think twice before buying games from them again in future, with this knowledge in hand. Very bad form.

Hexen plays flawlessly under source ports. Surprised they didn't bundle the game with one of those.

I'm sorry to hear about Overseer. I was planning to play the Tex Murphy games as well (starting with Martian Memorandum, I tried Mean Streets but hated the flying bits) but now I know I won't be able to play Overseer. That sucks.

Moderator and Priest
    I have the GOG version of Overseer, and it runs fine, provided you turn off 3D acceleration.

Ensuring that a game not just runs, but runs well without tinkering is a MUST for Steam releases.
    With the sheer number of different potential system specs, this is a logistical impossibility. Especially when talking about games released for older versions of Windows where the source code is no longer available. Old games like that often rely on the way the OS worked back then and modern DirectX & Win7/8/10 work in a different way on many levels.

Still, it is very likely that Night Dive could and should have done more.

Hexen plays flawlessly under source ports. Surprised they didn't bundle the game with one of those.
    Indeed. I've just been playing Hexen (and Heretic) myself, and the first thing I did was set up the source ports - which of course means I don't get Steam functionality such as play time.

The source ports run (or can be configured to run) just like the original games, just with more options, so it's not like they'd be "corrupting" the experience or anything.
    They also allow more modern control schemes out of the box. I'm partial to a bit of the old arrowkeys+ctrl with no mouse (for Doom and Heretic), but I'd imagine most people these days would prefer mouselook (and I have in fact been using that for Hexen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I have the GOG version of Overseer, and it runs fine, provided you turn off 3D acceleration.
    I've not tried the GOG version, but I did try switching off the hardware graphics and switching to software and all that resulted in was a black screen for me. Normally I'd not buy a game twice, but I really enjoyed the prior games in this series, so in the off chance that it will work, I'll give the GOG version a try. Plus they (GOG) have quite a good record of customizing games to work with more modern systems.
    Last edited by icemann; 24th Sep 2017 at 01:01.

So I'm giving the GOG version a try. The games "System Checker" would not even run until I set it to Windows 95 compatibility.

It requires the same fixes (that require the user to do some mucking around to fix them) that the Steam version has. So just as with the Steam version I was able to get fixed using what I'd learned earlier:

* Music - You have to Download and Install VirtualMidiSynth, then download a sound font file, then load that in VirtualMidiSynth, then in Overseer set the audio to use the "Microsoft Midi Mapper".
    * FMV Videos - The GOG release had this already fixed up. In the Steam version I had to setup ffdshow to fix the audio in these.

So with the above 2 fixed, all that is left for a playable game is to fix the transparent / invisible textures on objects. The GOG version has the same problem here with this, so I'll experiment a bit further but I'm not expecting much since I was unable to fix it in the Steam version.

[edit]
    Transparent / invisible textures bug fixed .

Earlier on, I'd seen suggestions to use a set of dll files from "dgvoodoo2", but when trying the files from it's most recent version, it caused Overseer to freeze up. This time round I tried an earlier version and voila, fixed. Yay . So for anyone here thinking / planning on playing Overseer and you encounter the transparent / invisible texture issues. DON'T use v2.54 of dgvoodoo2. I should note that that version sets off my virus scanner for some odd reason. Now my issue is that I can see everything, but when I turn everything goes slow for a second. Hmm. Dgvoodoo2 issue me thinks.

[edit 2]
    So the turning issue was a vsync issue. Forcing vsync on fixed that, but the game lags every now and then. I think by this point I've done as much as I can as the game is fully playable now.

Now to get on and play it .
    Last edited by icemann; 24th Sep 2017 at 09:01.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Hey TTLG, isn't anyone playing Death of the Outsider? I am, it's great so far, mostly in that it's more Dishonored. I was surprised to see only 3 of you on my friends list even own it. It does reuse a level from D2 and also rehashes one of it's own levels (kind of a Casing/Masks scenario from T2). But it's all still really good. I'm only about half way through, but already have close to 15 hours of game time - lots of optional side quests and stealing to do. I've heard people say this standalone leans more towards a killing strategy instead of stealth, but I don't see that at all. A lot of the bone charms you get are bonuses for silence and stealth. I'm playing the same way I played for the full game, which is somewhat "ghost-ish."

I do like playing as Billie Lurk too - when I was Corvo, I sometimes felt like to much of a goodie two shoes to do bad things, but with Billie, the lines of morality are a bit more blurred. Anyway, having fun with this so far - I really hope these recent Dishonored games have sold enough that we get a D3. There's tons of possibilities to explore still with this franchise.

... I'm still playing Prey...

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Hey TTLG, isn't anyone playing Death of the Outsider? I am, it's great so far, mostly in that it's more Dishonored. I was surprised to see only 3 of you on my friends list even own it. It does reuse a level from D2 and also rehashes one of it's own levels (kind of a Casing/Masks scenario from T2). But it's all still really good. I'm only about half way through, but already have close to 15 hours of game time - lots of optional side quests and stealing to do. I've heard people say this standalone leans more towards a killing strategy instead of stealth, but I don't see that at all. A lot of the bone charms you get are bonuses for silence and stealth. I'm playing the same way I played for the full game, which is somewhat "ghost-ish."

I do like playing as Billie Lurk too - when I was Corvo, I sometimes felt like to much of a goodie two shoes to do bad things, but with Billie, the lines of morality are a bit more blurred. Anyway, having fun with this so far - I really hope these recent Dishonored games have sold enough that we get a D3. There's tons of possibilities to explore still with this franchise.
    Yes, I enjoyed it, and it lasted a while. Though the final chapter in the void didn't do much for me and I was kind of rushing to the end, and I have no desire to replay it. I got burnt out on the main game as well. I think at this point I'd prefer they just make a central hub open world instead of the individual levels things, and they really need to step up their writing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Short Trip is a lovely interactive illustration/train game which you can play in your browser.

Between this, Conductor, and Derail Valley, I will proclaim 2017 "THE YEAR OF THE TRAIN GAME"! It's a shame Endless Express came out last year, or that'd make the list too.

edit: oh shit, Tracks as well! Almost forgot about that one.
    Last edited by henke; 26th Sep 2017 at 02:51.

If you're into that sort of thing, you might want to try Trainyard Express on Android and iOS. While it might unsettle train purists such as yourself, it was one of my favourite mobile games many years ago; starts off quite easy but gets quite challenging the further you progress.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't know if I'm a train purist, but I do like my trains to have a bit of weight and momentum and go "chunk-a-chunk" and "choo-choo!", and Trainyard Express is really just a train-themed puzzle game. I played a bit of it on the iPad years ago but it didn't grab me, HOWEVER I did just download it on my Android phone as well because I've been wanting something to play on lunchbreaks. Perhaps Freeways has opened me up more to this kind of transportation-planning gameplay, even though I'm more fond of it's freeform road-drawing than the grid-based stiffness of Trainyard Express, BUT we'll see.

I finished Freedom Cry over the weekend, and so far it's definitely my least favourite addition to the Assassin's Creed franchise. Okay, that's not entirely fair: I thought it was probably better than some of the DLC to the main games (I don't think I've played all of them, but I remember some of the Syndicate DLC being very middling), but I played it as a standalone game, and as such it wasn't very good. There are some nice ideas, but on the whole it mainly reminded me that I'd rather be playing Black Flag.

Anyway, yesterday I got started on Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and I really dig Naughty Dog doing what it does well. This won't be at the top of my list of favourite games, but it's the equivalent of good comfort food, except with amazing production values. I've not played very far, but I do love the places ND creates. Yes, they're obviously spectacular, but they also feel believable and coherent.

Page 453 of 459 FirstFirst ... 203353403408413418423428433438443448449450451452453454455456457458 ... LastLast