TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 453 of 453 FirstFirst ... 203353403408413418423428433438443448449450451452453
Results 11,301 to 11,322 of 11322

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

I don't remember having those issues with bosses, and I must have played it 6 or 7 times back in the day. I've been meaning to do a replay of the series, playing as a mage, mostly because I've never finished Goithic 3 or even starded Forsaken Gods, because they were so buggy. But I've heard good things about community patches, so I might give it a try.

I don't recall them either, but maybe I used magic/crossbows the last time? Or maybe time has made the games buggier? You'd think the fan patches would have fixed such a blatant bug, though.

Gothic 3... I remember that took two minutes to load every time I died back when I played it. It was a lot easier than the earlier Gothics, though. Gameplay was pretty poor, though it still had some decent writing.
    Forsaken Gods isn't even by Piranha Bytes and is supposed to be pretty awful, I think? Probably not worth playing. Risen is the next game after Gothic 3.

Thing What Kicks
    I'm one of the few who really enjoyed Gothic 3, despite the absolutely abysmal combat (those wild boar haunt me to this day).
    I regard it as one of the first proper modern open world RPGs, as it was ambitiously huge and seamless, with no transition between in- and outdoors.

On top of that, while the combat could be frustrating, the whole idea of liberating camps and towns and choosing which side to hand them over too was revolutionary at the time, especially in the way it would change the economy and open up different quests depending on which faction you sided with.

I'd love to see a modern remake of it with a sensible revision of combat

Ok nudoom grew on me. Combat gets stupid fun once all the big monsters and big guns come up. It's definitely way longer than it should be and ramps up too slowly for a game that just throws you right into things. And im starting to get into levels that close off behind you preventing you from getting back to secrets you missed which blows hard. Pisses me off

Urgh, my least favourite thing in the new Doom, made worse in that there's no actual reason for it in most cases.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 8th Sep 2017 at 17:28.

Moderator and Priest
    For the two of you here who haven't played it, and the one of you who doesn't read RPS...

OKAMI IS COMING TO THE PC!

Looks like I'll be buying it yet again, especially since I never played much of the HD release when I grabbed it on the PS3.

Chakat sex pillow
    Damn straight. Matter of fact, I'm going to invoke my necromantic powers here and raise a thread from when we were younger. Prepare to be amazed embarrassed.

Level 10,000 achieved

Dismissive attitude towards beloved classic in 3... 2... 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    meh tbh

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    You don't want to be a monster, do you!?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    meh tbh
    Wow, would you look at that! It's the back of my hand! And it's swinging at someone's face.

OH, I'M SORRY, HENKE? DOES IT NOT HAVE ENOUGH PHYSICS FOR YOU?

Moderator and Priest
    I'm so mad at Henke right now, I just wanna CUSS!

Moderator and Priest
    I'm not really mad.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's true, only unicorns can explain what the fuck moon people and

Just finished playing through a thing called Tokyo Dark, a visual novelish thing about a homicide detective thrust into a mystery that makes her question reality and her very sanity. It's not terrible, but also not very good. The characters are plucked straight out of anime caricatures, the main character lacks personality and it's hard to care about her struggles, the plot is serviceable but not much more, the "sanity effects" are unoriginal to the point of feeling like they could've come from some defaults menu in Unity, there are no real puzzles and not much choice that seems like it makes much difference apart from the very end maybe. There is a new game plus option which the ending made seem potentially interesting, but I'm not sure I care to click through the thing again although it's not a very long game. I said it's not terrible yet went on to list a lot of negatives, but I did end up finishing it and was reasonably entertained, probably mostly because I'm a sucker for the whole Japanese thing and gritty urban stuff in general. Might be worth it for others with similar predilections, but I'd probably wait for a sale (€16 on Steam, which I feel is a bit much for what it is).

I've also been playing Earthbound on my phone and just got to the third town which is the furthest I've ever gotten. That one's much better.

hmm I just finished Tokyo Dark as well, thought it was cool, but a little half baked. It really highlights the potential for such games.
    And I dont mean VN stuff, but the combination of point and click and vn with animation, I could really see some excellent IF in this vein.
    Last edited by PigLick; 13th Sep 2017 at 10:04.

Half baked's a good way of putting it. Like their list of key features makes it seem like they were planning on going further with some of that stuff but it didn't happen for whatever reason. In particular the sanity/professionalism/investigation/neurosis meters seem pretty pointless. It's mentioned in the beginning and then seemingly just abandoned, and maybe it makes some difference behind the scenes, but even if it does it seems like there aren't that many opportunities to affect them. And they actually list puzzle solving as a key point when there is one single puzzle in the entire game; it really could've used more adventure game elements to flesh it out. Still, if they make another one of these I'm interested enough to check it out.

Moderator and Priest
    Dunno where else to put this, but...

A bit of news I never expected to hear, Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus are coming to the Switch

I imagine they'll both sport lower res textures, and be running at 720p, but it's still crazy to think that the Switch is powerful enough to run these games.

So, after chipping away at it when I've had the time, I finished off Tex Murphy - The Pandora Directive.

Overall this is easily the best game in the series so far (yep I've now said that what 2 times now?). It's not perfect though as it gives "The 7th guest" a run for it's for it's money when it comes to puzzles. Hell, I'd say that this one has even harder ones. Some of them are just plain evil. How you'd be able to figure them out without a friggin walkthrough I dunno. It easily has the best FMVs of the series to this point. Complete with excellent acting (except for the acting by the guy who played "Rook", though his was amusing most of the time). Some damn fine scenes. A lot of soul to this game.

Music is half half. You hear the main tunes more often than not, and quite a few of the sections have singular paths to getting through tricky spots which got annoying fast. There was 2 conversations in particular that had a heap of dialog options, but only one path to beating them. Very annoying.

At first I quite liked the addition of currency into the gameplay, but then about 3/4 way through my play through I completely ran out which if it weren't for being able to trade points for cash I'd have been COMPLETELY stuck. Turns out I'd missed out on 2 important little side activities (filling out a crossword puzzle and then sending it in, and in another location later on in a locker). So the loss of points cost me the "best ending". Grrrr. If your going to have currency in a game, have easier ways to get more (eg have gambling, or some mini game location where you can get more), rather than only having it in easy to miss places. Otherwise playing the game with a walkthrough all the time is a MUST, which takes half the fun away. As it was, I had to use one on a semi-regular basis. I did do my best not to use it all the time, but you get stuck often in this game.

In Under a Killing Moon none of those things was EVER an issue, but then that game lacked the killer FMVs and overall story that this has + it's a shorter game. So this one wins out. FMV's wise, this one is nearly on the level of Wing Commander 4 which had the best FMVs that I've ever seen in a game. This one comes close, but not quite there. Great scenes though.

One little touch I didn't discover until AFTER I'd beaten the game was the discovery that this has light RPG elements in it, where choices made have knock on effects later on, which have an overall effect on the ending you get. Of which there is something like 8 endings. I take my hat off to Access Software on that one.

2 games to go and then I'm done with the series. Overseer which is apparently a partial remake/reboot of the first game "Mean Streets" (except that it's retold in the "present" by Tex), and then the Kickstarter funded "Tesla Effect".

Since Star Wars Battlefront (+ DLC) was extremely cheap last week (about US$5), I got it, mainly because the game does a fantastic job of recreating the visuals of the OT. Seriously, the Frostbite engine's lighting is gorgeous.

However, even at that price the game itself is really not good. Most twitch shooters are shallow, but this beats them all, at least from a quick first impression. I will probably check out all the levels for the sheer AV spectacle, but beyond that I don't think I'll put any time into this. I expected it to be fun but to get old fast, but it got old pretty much the moment I started playing.

Last night I gave "Inner Chains" a try. A game I backed on Kickstarter a year or so ago. This is a very weird game.

The first 30-40 minutes is more a walking simulator than anything. Then it became a proper FPS. Damn fine graphics. Easily the best part of the game is the graphics. Kinda reminds me of that demonic otherworldly type look that Quake 1 has.

Combat is ok. Game needs more weapons. All I have so far is a lightning gun and my fists, except that I can't work out how to switch back to the fists. So just the lightning gun then. I quite like that you have no idea what in the hell anyone is saying to you. Comes out as gibberish. And the writing on walls in the game starts off being gibberish as well, but as you find "letters" (spread out in mostly off the beaten track areas), those gibberish words start to become readable as you begin to understand the language. That's very cool.

Rest of the game though. I dunno. Too early to say. The game uses check point saves only which means LOT'S of redoing 10-20 minutes of gameplay. Hate that in FPS games. Grrr.

Page 453 of 453 FirstFirst ... 203353403408413418423428433438443448449450451452453