TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 456 of 464 FirstFirst ... 206356406411416421426431436441446451452453454455456457458459460461 ... LastLast
Results 11,376 to 11,400 of 11587

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Blaster Master and Zelda BOTW would be my recommendations.

Moderator and Priest
    Already got 'em both.

It's nice knowing that my strategy of getting bored one day, then driving around looking for one finally paid off. I know people are still using stock lookup lists to track one down. But me? I just walked into a Gamestop in...

SODDY DAISY

...and bought it off the shelf.

Yeah, it's 30 miles away from home, but hey, I was out there anyway.

Southquarter.com/fms
    What took ya so long? Waited for Super Mario Odyssey, I'm assuming.

Administrator

NOW what are you playing?

I occasionally look at consoles but I keep getting discouraged by the game price premium. In the UK a new copy of BOTW is nearly 50. That's 30 more than I paid for the Witcher 3 on offer, and Nintendo games don't get discounted. The same goes for PS4. No game has given me enough of an incentive yet.

[edit]oops, replied on the wrong page, was reacting to Renz having got a Switch... no, it's just Tapatalk confusing me, never mind...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I've been gazing longingly at the Switch as well. BOTW, Rabbids XCOM and Odyssey are looking like they might be some of the year's best games. Mostly what's keeping me away is that I don't even have time to play all the games I wanna play on the systems I do own, so getting yet another one would be plain irresponsible.

With BotW, at least you have the option of CEMU, which seems to work pretty well - surprisingly so for a relatively recent platform (the WiiU).

Administrator
    The emulator scene doesn't hang about... as henke says the main problem is too many games. I still haven't played the Witcher 3 or MGS5. Often I'm playing something like HOTS, Warframe or Minecraft with kids so solo gaming time is limited within my already limited time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're definitely right about there being too many games, but at least with emulators you can check out some games while avoiding getting another device that then gathers dust because you've got so much of a backlog.

Thing What Kicks
    I still only have BOTW on my switch, and I'm nowhere near as enamoured with the system (or game) as the majority of journalists appear to be. And yeah, the price of new games is a definite contributing factor stopping me from buying more for the platform.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see a PSN sale this weekend and picked up Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and TLOU on the PS4 for just over 50 all told. And Horizon Zero Dawn has been keeping me very entertained. While it may not be as systems-driven as BOTW, and the formula is basically that of a Ubisoft icon sweeper, it's still very fun, and the combat is very satisfying. In fact, while I can objectively recognise that it isn't as accomplished or polished as BOTW, I'm finding it much more engaging. I think the whole monster strength/weakness system has a lot to do with that, especially when it starts mixing things up, like dropping Chargers in with Bellowbacks.

Plus, your gear doesn't break every two seconds.
    Stupid fucking decision. I'd say it's even worse than Doom 3's decision to not allow you to use a weapon at the same time as the torch.
    But nope, Nintendo fanboys in the throes of Stockholm Syndrome will jump through hoops to defend it as an excellent piece of game design, because it "forces you to use all of the tools at your disposal".
    Conveniently ignoring the fact that some dumbass at Nintendo also decided to shoehorn in gear power levels, so that two weapons of the same type may now be miles apart in effectiveness thanks to gear scores, effectively making the gear breakage much more punishing than fun, especially as enemy encounters also appear to scale. Nothing like fighting a monster when all of a sudden, your sword breaks and the only viable alternative you've got barely tickles it thanks to disparity in gear score.

Crikey, that really makes it look like I hate the game, doesn't it?
    Well, it could be worse.
    It could be Skyward Sword.

Administrator
    You've still got to buy the game still. My wii is in a box in the loft so at least it isn't dusty. Along with an original PlayStation which I've just realised is 20 years old. I'd be more inclined to get hold of a cheap PS2 so I could pick up on the games (also in the loft) I didn't manage to play before the one I had died...

Southquarter.com/fms
    Regarding the high price of console games - I bought a PS4 last November, and I've accumulated over 20 games so far, and I don't think I've paid full price for more than 2 of them. That's the beauty of consoles vs. PC - used games. You can get stuff that came out 6 months or a year ago dirt cheap through Amazon, Ebay, Gamefly, etc. With the PS4 being out for 3+ years now, there's tons of good games available on the cheap.

They flirted with it this generation, so I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before consoles will require you register each individual game to a console, making used games a thing of the past. But until then...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    What took ya so long? Waited for Super Mario Odyssey, I'm assuming.
    Mario Odyssey coming out soon was increasing the pressure to get one, but it's mostly that I could never find one in stock when I went looking. That I have one now is based entirely upon lucking out on a lark. I was out and about, decided to check out a local Gamestop, and BAM! I'm now the proud owner of a Switch!

I think this is the first time I've bought a console brand new during its launch year since, geez, the Playstation 1 and N64 days.

Regarding the high price of console games - I bought a PS4 last November, and I've accumulated over 20 games so far, and I don't think I've paid full price for more than 2 of them. That's the beauty of consoles vs. PC - used games. You can get stuff that came out 6 months or a year ago dirt cheap through Amazon, Ebay, Gamefly, etc. With the PS4 being out for 3+ years now, there's tons of good games available on the cheap.
    I tend to buy digital downloads only these days but even so there are regular sales where I’ve picked up quite a few awesome games; not to mention the free monthly games that often contain some gems as well. That being said, the starting prices for new releases are ridiculously expensive. It doesn’t take them that long to drop down a little but still much dearer than PC versions in general. Speaking of which, I’ve got a policy never to spend any more than 50 on a game, although I have made the odd exception.

Moderator and Priest
    The one biggest problem I have with buying console games would be Gamestop. I can understand why they sell used games without a box for $2 off the retail price of a brand new copy, but I still think it's stupid.

Southquarter.com/fms
    There's really no need to ever pay $60 or more for any game. Both Amazon and Best Buy (and probably others) have gaming clubs that will give you 20% off any new game. I'll be picking up Super Mario Odyssey next week on release day for $48. Another thing I've taken advantage of lately is price matching. Your local Best Buy will match any online price by places like Amazon, Walmart, etc.

Yeah, Gamestop is awful, you can find an occasional deal there, but 95% of the time not so much.

There's really no need to ever pay $60 or more for any game.
    I think Australians & Kiwis may still disagree with that assessment. Last I checked they were usually being asked to pony up $80+ for the basic version of new AAA releases. But as far as Europe and North America goes, you're right as long as you aren't looking to get a Season Pass or "extra content" edition.

Moderator and Priest
    There's really no need to ever pay $60 or more for any game. Both Amazon and Best Buy (and probably others) have gaming clubs that will give you 20% off any new game. I'll be picking up Super Mario Odyssey next week on release day for $48. Another thing I've taken advantage of lately is price matching. Your local Best Buy will match any online price by places like Amazon, Walmart, etc.
    Now that I'm back in the brand new console scene, I might have to take advantage of that. Unlike Steam, consoles rarely ever host 50%-75% off sales at regular intervals. This is especially true for Nintendo, who knows when they've made something that's in demand, and has no qualms milking it for every penny it's worth.

And now that they've found their footing again, looks like I'll be spending a fuckton just on a couple-three games. I just now paid $60 for Zelda, I'll likely be paying that much for Odyssey here in the not too distant future, and I still really want Mario Kart, which is $60 as well. $180 for three games, and this isn't counting anything else that might pop up I want later, like Xenoblade 2, or Octopath Traveller. Hell, I might even rebuy Doom, cuz I'm an idiot.

I could spend maybe $150-$200 in a year, and get, like, 2000 games on Steam.

Yeah, Gamestop is awful, you can find an occasional deal there, but 95% of the time not so much.
    I miss Electronics Boutique.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 17th Oct 2017 at 16:24.

Southquarter.com/fms
    If you're buying that many games per year - Best Buy Gamers Club man. 30 bucks for 2 years, 20% off any new game, 10% off used. This is not only for new releases, but any new (not used) game.

Moderator and Priest
    It's tempting, but I know if I do, I'll be buying games just to get the discount.

My problem is (and this is something Steam has done to me) is that most of the games I buy, I buy them just to have them, eventually getting around to playing them maybe a year or two later when I'm bored.

Like Zelda and Mario? Both of those games together could easily last me 5-6 months. Why do I need to buy more when I know I won't play them immediately?

To be fair, aren't even full-price games still fairly good value for money compared to other hobbies?
    I always think of them in terms of nights out (a popular pastime here in Ireland), which probably cost about as much as a full-priced game, and mostly seem to produce hangovers and, in extreme cases, no memory of the entire night.

Games, on the other hand, usually last a lot longer than one night, and can produce fond memories you'll keep with you for years... not that I haven't also played short and unmemorable games, but I probably didn't pay full price for them.

... Except Dawn of War 3.

Moderator and Priest
    That's why I don't binge drink. Well, that, and you know, alcoholism. What's the point of having fun if all you remember is the aftermath. You wake up in some strange motel in Boise, a headless barbie doll and a crosseyed Vietnamese woman in bed next to you. The only thing you can think of between the moments when you're nursing your hangover is that you probably had a lot of fun the night before.

The way I see it, if you're gonna go for some substance abuse, do some weed. Yeah, you'll probably end up spending the entire night giggling at stupid crap while eating salt and vinegar potato chips (which you suddenly LOVE SO MUCH NOW), but at least you'll remember it.

Anyway. Videogames. Yeah.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I was just making a case to my wife the other day that gaming is a relatively cheap hobby, especially if it's your primary hobby (and especially compared to her, she buys antiques for fun). Much better mileage compared to movies or going out or cars/boats or something like that.

Renz, I often buy games that I don't play right away, but I'm trying hard to get away from that. I remember buying DXMD when I bought my PS4 last year for 50 bucks. It's still in plastic. I could buy it now for 12. I is stupid.

I'll give a shout out to Gamefly though, they have great sales - I just bought Shadow Tactics for 20, Amazon has it listed for 40, and it's still 30 on Steam (on sale). I saw they had some other good stuff there like the new Tomb Raider for 20, Prey was like 15, and a bunch of others.

I suspect that my reference point for that observation - young Irish people from my student days - is probably something of an extreme case anyway.

Either way, I also have so many games that I really don't need to buy anything when it's new.
    I mostly just do it these days when I really want to support the developers of that game, or if I really want to play it now for some reason.

Edit: A €60 game really doesn't sound like bad value when I played it for 170 hours. That's 35c an hour.

Moderator and Priest
    Renz, I often buy games that I don't play right away, but I'm trying hard to get away from that. I remember buying DXMD when I bought my PS4 last year for 50 bucks. It's still in plastic. I could buy it now for 12. I is stupid.
    That's exactly my reasoning for trying to get away from it. There are some games I'll drop everything else for to play and finish right when they come out. Most recently, it was Dishonored and DX:MD. I bought them both full price, and don't regret it.

I'm doing the same thing with Zelda now. Though to do that, I had to drop my light hop through of The Evil Within, a game I bought on sale for $40 about a year or so ago, and am only just now getting to. I could've waited to play it. I liked the demo, but I didn't feel a driving need to play it from beginning to end when grabbed it on its first discount. Now? It's $20. It'll probably be $10 when the Steam winter sale comes swinging through.

...so why didn't I just wait?

Administrator
    Human psychology. It's exploited everywhere. The premium of NOW! I think I've usually gone for things close to release because of enthusiasm in a thread here. I can mostly wait.
    I'm not sure about investing in a PS4 just yet. For the UK at least the PS3 seems pretty cheap and some of the games are selling on Amazon for a few quid. Even so the voice in my head reminding me of the stack of stuff in my steam library is saying I won't have time for it. The risk is dabbling in a few cheap games and then forgetting about the thing. Ultimately I'll have to sit down and look at games that I'm particularly interested in before buying any other machine...

Page 456 of 464 FirstFirst ... 206356406411416421426431436441446451452453454455456457458459460461 ... LastLast