TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 456 of 457 FirstFirst ... 206356406411416421426431436441446451452453454455456457 LastLast
Results 11,376 to 11,400 of 11420

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

El Shagmeister

I'm currently on the 3rd world of Cuphead, kicking ass and taking names (while also getting cornholed in return. Fair trade if you ask me...). Very fun game

FYI, Stranger Things now has an official (and free) game, Nintendo style.

Currently in between on the bigger longer games. Been playing "Deep Dungeons of Doom" which is a rogue-lite kinda game. If you die, you just lose all your items. There's no set xp levels and more rather on purchased talents which give passive bonuses. You get the choice of 1 of 3 per rank, with more ranks opening up as you progress. You also get the choice of different classes to play as, with their own talent trees. I've almost primarily just been playing as the Crusader as he does pretty good melee damage.

Game is alright. Not a great game, but not a bad one either. It's one of moving up or down the levels of locations, and relying on memorization of enemy attack patterns to get you through battles. All done in 2D side view. My main gripe with it so far, is that some of the locations just go on forever (not literally) which can make surviving to the end bosses (of those locations) quite difficult. Some of the locations feel a bit monotonous for this reason after a while. I'm not sure if I'll stick with the game to the end, but I'll play it a bit further.

So I just completed Alone in the Dark (2008) a.k.a. Alone in the Dark 5 a.k.a. How to Hamper Your Game by Implementing the Most Infuriating Control Scheme Known to Man.

Yes, yes, restrictive control schemes are part and parcel of survival horror titles. Both the original Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil titles are famous for their tank controls, and even Resident Evil 4 - one of the greatest games made, by all accounts - doesn't allow you to move and aim at the same time.

Alone in the Dark (2008) takes this to a whole other level, though. There are 4 (!) different on-foot control schemes, for crying out loud. There's a static camera setting like in the early Resident Evil games, there's a behind-shoulder-view that is different depending on whether you are holding a melee weapon or not (if you are the right stick swings the weapon, if not it controls the camera), and finally there's a first person view. All of these controls are incredibly sluggish, which wouldn't be too much of a problem (survival horror, remember) if the game didn't consistently switch from one viewpoint to another seemingly at will, so you spend most of your time re-adjusting the camera.

Thing is, the game really has some neat ideas otherwise, which makes these issues doubly annoying. The story - whilst nothing to write home about - is at least competently told, and unlike most other survival horror games I know of it soon lets you loose in a semi open world (Central Park in Manhatten, essentially), using different types of vehicles. Then again, given Eden Games are otherwise mostly known for driving games the floatiness of the vehicle controls is incredibly disconcerting.

The game also lets you bash down or burn most doors you come across, so progress is more realistic than the artificial locks and keys in e.g. Resident Evil. You can also craft your own explosives in a sensible fashion - alcohol bottle + handkerchief + lighter = molotov cocktail, for example.

All cool things, but again, the controls are utterly rubbish. No idea who at Eden thought this was a good idea.

AFAIK, the PS3 version of the game (AitD: Inferno) did improve the controls a bit - e.g. freely rotating camera in 3rd person - no idea how much it ultimately improves the game, although I can't see anything being worse than this.

I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic II and enjoying it. Oddly, it works better with the controller than mouse and keyboard. It also makes me realize, holy crap it's basically Mass Effect before mass effect. Same thing about gathering a crew you can talk with and develop relationships, having your own ship to maintain, travel to each planet to find person of interest X... damn!

(and yes I AM using the content restoration patch, huushhh)

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic II and enjoying it. ... It also makes me realize, holy crap it's basically Mass Effect before mass effect.
    Bioware basically decided Baldur's Gate II was good enough and has kept many of its core concepts ever since.

So I am done playing "Deep Dungeons of Doom" (which sounds like a Fighting Fantasy gamebook title). It threw a boring 50 level dungeon at me with mostly easy enemies, and then threw a hard as hell boss at the end who completely slaughtered me within about 20 seconds. It took about 30-40 minutes to get to that boss. I'm done.

Now to work out what to play next.

I just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and have now played the Prey tutorial. This seems to be one case where the experience, at least at the beginning, is spoiled by, well, spoilers, because Prey appears to lean quite heavily on a mystery and an upcoming twist. I'm sure it'll become about more than that before long, though, as I've yet to encounter much in the way of gameplay.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Thing is, the game really has some neat ideas otherwise, which makes these issues doubly annoying.
    Yeah, I seem to remember it had some interesting things going on. I only made it to the part where the game goes all open-world and not-very-good tho, never did finish it. Also, earlier today I found out that the guy who voiced Edward in AitD also was the voice of Max Payne! He also played a minor role in the movie American Splendor.

Anyway. This weekend I am following my heart and playing through The Last Of Us (for the 3rd time). Just ran into Henry and Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The guy who voiced Edward in AitD also was the voice of Max Payne!
    Hah, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    FYI, Stranger Things now has an official (and free) game, Nintendo style.
    AND IT'S AWESOME!

But is it worth playing if you have no idea about what Stranger Things is?

I'd say a huge part of how much fun the game is is having watched the first season and understanding what's going on, otherwise it's probably just kind of trite. Unless you REALLY want to play a late 80s style fetch-quest rpg-lite beat-em-up. I think the one thing that would improve the game would be using a controller rather than the touch controls, but it's not bad by any means. Also.. it's free so...

If you have netflix, you can watch the entire show. If you don't, I think they still have the first 30 days free.

I was told to watch Stranger Things months before I actually did, and 5 minutes into the first episode I was so hooked I binge watched all 10 episodes that night and went to bed at 8 am. It's good.

Currently playing Might and Magic 8 - Day of The Destroyer.

It plays nigh on identical to MM6 and MM7, with just some new character classes and spell schools to choose from. Beyond that it's exactly the same. It's even in the same engine as the prior two games with no noticeable new improvements of any kind. It starts off really average with you being dropped onto an island, and if it wasn't for the journal (which only pops up when you push the key to open it) you'd have no idea at all of what was going on.

I spent a good while just fighting enemies to get cash to buy new skills, improve existings skills and buy new equipment. MM7 had that too sure, but then you had the castle that you gained ownership at the beginning of that game, which made for a good central hub to always come back to. This game lacks that.

So this game is half half. I honestly think that series was at it's peak when it was in 2D (aka somewhere between the 3rd game and 5, though MM7 was pretty damn good). Or at least at this point anyway. The 3D entries (MM6 onward) are good, but something was lost along the way. Even the combat from 6 is quite different. More easier to cheat if you know the quirks of the game engine that they used from then on. I've not played Might and Magic X yet so can't comment there. I know that that game was done in a new engine.

To make up for the frustrations of Alone in the Dark I followed up with some more bite-sized games:

Stacking - utterly charming, simple but fun puzzles.

Deadlight - bullshit trial and error sidescroller.

Telltale's Batman - I understand this one got a bit of a bad rep. Not sure why tbh, I thought it was pretty excellent as far as Telltale adventures go. Their game engine needs to die in a fire, though, utter rubbish.

Moderator and Priest
    Finally got a Switch!

Blaster Master and Zelda BOTW would be my recommendations.

Moderator and Priest
    Already got 'em both.

It's nice knowing that my strategy of getting bored one day, then driving around looking for one finally paid off. I know people are still using stock lookup lists to track one down. But me? I just walked into a Gamestop in...

SODDY DAISY

...and bought it off the shelf.

Yeah, it's 30 miles away from home, but hey, I was out there anyway.

Southquarter.com/fms
    What took ya so long? Waited for Super Mario Odyssey, I'm assuming.

Administrator

NOW what are you playing?

I occasionally look at consoles but I keep getting discouraged by the game price premium. In the UK a new copy of BOTW is nearly 50. That's 30 more than I paid for the Witcher 3 on offer, and Nintendo games don't get discounted. The same goes for PS4. No game has given me enough of an incentive yet.

[edit]oops, replied on the wrong page, was reacting to Renz having got a Switch... no, it's just Tapatalk confusing me, never mind...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I've been gazing longingly at the Switch as well. BOTW, Rabbids XCOM and Odyssey are looking like they might be some of the year's best games. Mostly what's keeping me away is that I don't even have time to play all the games I wanna play on the systems I do own, so getting yet another one would be plain irresponsible.

With BotW, at least you have the option of CEMU, which seems to work pretty well - surprisingly so for a relatively recent platform (the WiiU).

Administrator
    The emulator scene doesn't hang about... as henke says the main problem is too many games. I still haven't played the Witcher 3 or MGS5. Often I'm playing something like HOTS, Warframe or Minecraft with kids so solo gaming time is limited within my already limited time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're definitely right about there being too many games, but at least with emulators you can check out some games while avoiding getting another device that then gathers dust because you've got so much of a backlog.

Thing What Kicks
    I still only have BOTW on my switch, and I'm nowhere near as enamoured with the system (or game) as the majority of journalists appear to be. And yeah, the price of new games is a definite contributing factor stopping me from buying more for the platform.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see a PSN sale this weekend and picked up Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and TLOU on the PS4 for just over 50 all told. And Horizon Zero Dawn has been keeping me very entertained. While it may not be as systems-driven as BOTW, and the formula is basically that of a Ubisoft icon sweeper, it's still very fun, and the combat is very satisfying. In fact, while I can objectively recognise that it isn't as accomplished or polished as BOTW, I'm finding it much more engaging. I think the whole monster strength/weakness system has a lot to do with that, especially when it starts mixing things up, like dropping Chargers in with Bellowbacks.

Plus, your gear doesn't break every two seconds.
    Stupid fucking decision. I'd say it's even worse than Doom 3's decision to not allow you to use a weapon at the same time as the torch.
    But nope, Nintendo fanboys in the throes of Stockholm Syndrome will jump through hoops to defend it as an excellent piece of game design, because it "forces you to use all of the tools at your disposal".
    Conveniently ignoring the fact that some dumbass at Nintendo also decided to shoehorn in gear power levels, so that two weapons of the same type may now be miles apart in effectiveness thanks to gear scores, effectively making the gear breakage much more punishing than fun, especially as enemy encounters also appear to scale. Nothing like fighting a monster when all of a sudden, your sword breaks and the only viable alternative you've got barely tickles it thanks to disparity in gear score.

Crikey, that really makes it look like I hate the game, doesn't it?
    Well, it could be worse.
    It could be Skyward Sword.

Page 456 of 457 FirstFirst ... 206356406411416421426431436441446451452453454455456457 LastLast