TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 462 of 464 FirstFirst ... 212362412417422427432437442447452457458459460461462463464 LastLast
Results 11,526 to 11,550 of 11588

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    There isn't anything unsolveable. You can get "trapped" up there, which is unusual in this game, but rewind (or quickload) will let you retry. Some of those are hella tough, though, and it introduces a couple challenges you won't see anywhere else. I actually looked up two of them in that section, and ended up kicking myself both times because they had fairly obvious solutions I just wasn't seeing.
    Yeah, it took me a few tries to get stuck... First time I was pretty lost and soon got consumed, but for each new attempt I got a little farther until I could sprint through it all without thinking -- which might be why I missed whatever I'm missing for what seems like the last puzzle before the unknown. I retried the last puzzle a couple of times, but eventually thought to myself that not being able to solve it was the twist, because it made sense in a way getting trolled like that. Anyway, I'll try again until I figure it out.

Haha yeah, that's about right. Honestly I love all the endings, you really have to save and see each of them.
    Will do. I've checked to make sure I can reload an old autosave (instead of having to backup the actual files), which I can, so it should be alright to continue as is. That's one thing I prefer with games having manual saving (you don't have to worry about losing anything (even if you decide to do stupid things just for the hell of it)) -- although the autosaves seem pretty well distributed here. Then again, not having manual saving gives more weight to the choices you face, which seems fitting in this game.

Edit:
    It is done.

Choosing the tower ending first felt natural, since I had unresolved issues with that one: I was so close earlier and it was a bit of a facepalm moment once I more or less stumbled on the solution. In the end I actually really enjoyed all of it; I know I was sceptical at first, but the game won me over. There is one thing left I want to do, though, so I will check that out before moving on to whatever comes next: as it stands it's a choice between Valley, The Turing Test, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (I'm sceptic, but got it cheap, so I'll try it out at least), or Eidolon. Road to Gehenna is also a thing I'm curious about, but not so soon after.

By the way, has anyone here played 35MM? Reading the reviews, it seems to be a mix of many different genres (walking simulator, exploration, puzzles, shooter, horror etc...), so it could be a gentler path into genres I don't play so often, but it might also be too inconsistent.

Edit 2:
    I did some creative climbing in C1 while I was at it, and also discovered a thing I had missed before.
    Last edited by qolelis; 4th Dec 2017 at 04:08. Reason: typo

Was it the part where you have to send the elevator back down to get it out of the way so you can make a beam connection? Have you done the other two endings, as well?

Three endings, huh? I only remember two:
    Climbing the tower and disagreeing with Elohim then eventually waking up in the real world (inside a Dam or somesuch), or going along with Elohim to the very end, resulting in the entire game starting over.

There's another ending where you become a messenger. Your character can actually show up in other people's games that way, btw.

Yeah. Requires every single dang star, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Was it the part where you have to send the elevator back down to get it out of the way so you can make a beam connection? Have you done the other two endings, as well?
    Yes (or, rather, to let the jammer do its magic). Yes.

I painted a couple of QR messages throughout the game as well (I'm guessing others can see those too).

Getting back into Crusader Kings 2 and remembering why I love it so much.

Instead of spending half an hour poking around and trying to decide who to play as, I just randomised it and set the ironman option. I got a Sunni Muslim ruler on the southern coast of what is now Spain. Almost immediately, my father -
    who was the sultan - got thrown in prison. No idea how, but then I'm suddenly sultan. I managed to piss everyone off as soon as a typhoid epidemic arrived by locking the palace gates. Everyone called me a coward, so the next time the typhoid came back, I just put up with it. My daughter and wife died. I caught it. Nearly dead, I trusted the court physician to try a highly experimental medical procedure. It worked, but I ended up infertile. Having no male heir, it looked like the emirate would pass to one of my jealous brothers, but in all the epidemic panic I'd missed that my wife was pregnant, and she finally gave birth to a boy. [EDIT: I had multiple wives. No time paradoxes here.]

Ended up playing as him after dying in battle conquering more territory, so now I'm onto the second generation. My spymaster is an ugly, drunken, lecherous dwarf with one eye and the master seduction trait. I gave him a wife because he was lonely, and she kept coming to me with problems because he always sleeps around. She wanted me to throw him in prison for it, which seemed a little harsh. Now it turns out that he's infertile, and I had to pull some strings to stop the rumours getting around. I think he might have a venereal disease.

Do they just not get up anymore then?

If you're asking whether they "get it up", then I don't really know. What I do know is, the shagging situation on my end is now out of control. I have four wives, twenty children, and the sultan next door keeps spamming me with permission to marry my daughters. I might declare war on him.

It's still not as bad as wanting to marry in the first place only to find my realm had been mysteriously populated by lesbians.

And in the game.

I just finished The Turing Test, which was nice as a puzzle game, but I didn't care much for the dialogues and how the story played out: too simplified and polarized (the texts found in the crew quarters were better). I did like the premise for the story, though: what would actually happen with us as a species, and the societies we live in, if we acquired immortality? The way the cutscenes took away part of your control was sort of weird: why not make it either a proper cutscene or, better yet, not a cutscene at all!? It was pretty short too. On the other hand, after playing a game like Talos, maybe any game would have a hard time impressing me.

It's back to Talos for a bit now for some creative climbing and see what other weird things I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    On the other hand, after playing a game like Talos, maybe any game would have a hard time impressing me.
    You've reminded me that I still haven't played Road To Gehenna...

It's basically more of the same, which is good. I particularly enjoyed the star-bonus section, it's got some really clever yet tiny puzzles. Also, you don't have to get ALL the stars to unlock it.

I got the set of all the big Paradox grand strat games last month, and Crusader Kings 2 is next on my list.
    My favorite is still Victoria II, which I've played for a while.
    I'm more hyped about Vicky 3 rolling around than probably any other sequel anyone could do.
    I love games that let you write your own story/history, and that's what these games let you do.
    (Unfortunately they scrapped the WIP East vs. West, their Cold War era grand strat.)

Valley was... not entirely what I expected: I thought it was going to be a pretty calm exploration game with cool mechanics -- which it also sort of kind of was, but it was also... a bit more. It started as a walking simulator, turned into urban exploration with platforming and combat and running super fast while forgetting which way is down and random detour with boss fight and not being able to lose weight and instead drowning and spooks and so on... Then it ended as something else. Crazy mix with a little bit of everything, but it was good crazy.

I almost picked that up in the recent sale, sounds interesting. One for the wishlist then.

Felt like some retro from the backlog, so currently playing "Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance" on the GBA. Graphics are good though they could have done better on the player sprites. Its quite obvious when comparing to the textures and enemy sprites which are excellent. I'm not sure why they went so badly there. The GBA was capable of SNES level graphics afterall, and you have only to look at other Metroidvania style games on the GBA like Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion etc.

Music - Great. Gameplay - Typical post SOTN Castlevania style stuff. Very fun.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I almost picked that up in the recent sale, sounds interesting. One for the wishlist then.
    If you wanna pick it up on the cheap you can get it for a fiver in this bundle, along with 11 other games. Stasis is supposedly ok too. And 140 was alright. Dunno about the rest.

cool thanks, hey did you see the steam sale atm? Finnish Developers thingy. Now just imagine if you had put A Good One on steam your game could be on sale right now!

Level 10,000 achieved
    If only. Yeah, Finland is turning 100 today! Woop woop!

As for the sale I'm thinking of picking up Infra, actually didn't realize it was by Finnish devs.

Oh and as for A Good One I have plans for an "Xtreme Xmas Update", but I think it'll have to wait till next Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    It definitely had its flaws, but there was a lot to like too, and I think the good outweighed the bad. I really enjoyed the exploration part of it (some of it had really great verticality) and using the exoskeleton thing was great fun (some of my favourite moments with that came later in the game). It has a problem with focus, especially in the later parts, because it wants to do too many things and becomes a bit of a mess towards the end. It switches back and forth a lot, but the exploration was always there to make it worth continuing. The music wasn't my thing. The story wasn't too bad, and part of it was sort of satire, but I'm not sure if that was intentional. I think the developers are definitely talented and the quality shows, but I think they could have done with a better project lead to tie everything together and maybe kill some darlings too (and maybe save them for another game).

It was like a 3 year old sugar addict gourmet speed eater decided what to have for dinner:
    - I want pizza and ice cream and hot dogs and candy and cookies and fries and milkshakes and kobe beef and cake and soda and frog legs."
    - You can only have one thing.
    - No, I want EVERYTHING!
    - Okay, do you want me to mix all that in a bowl for you?
    - Yes, please.
    Then the 3 year old sugar addict gourmet speed eater happily eats EVERYTHING, but also throws up a little.

Can I recommend it? I don't know; it's a hell of a crazy ride. I was never bored and the good parts made it worth playing. If you're ready to just tag along, relax, and ignore the flaws, then I think you will enjoy it too. If you're willing to be like a kid in candyland again, you will definitely enjoy it. If you want a challenge or dream about the games of yore, this is not the game for you: it does show signs of being a "contemporary" game (i.e. busy HUD, quest markers, and overpowering the player). If you want realism above all else or shun "gameyness", you might not enjoy it either. It's a game that is hard to review. At some point I thought to myself "wtf game", but then I decided to just go with it and have fun.

Disclaimer: I got it dirt cheap in a sale, but might not have bought it at full price. I hesitated a long time, but after seeing a review by ACG on YouTube, I added it to my wishlist, and then when it went on sale I took a chance and bought it.
    Last edited by qolelis; 6th Dec 2017 at 16:03.

Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance finished off. Overall quite good. Could have used some better player sprites as previously mentioned, and DEFINITELY could have used more music variety. Just as with SOTN it goes with the 2 castles mechanic, but unlike SOTN the alternate castle isn't a flipped version of the other. Annoyingly they just re-use the music from castle 1 in castle 2, so you get sick of some of the tracks after a while. Beyond that it's a great game. Not as good as SOTN though as that had better music variety, cheesy voice acting, much more elaborate bosses and was a much more challenging game overall. Plus it had more abilities to collect + Alucard is just badass.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I got the set of all the big Paradox grand strat games last month, and Crusader Kings 2 is next on my list.
    I can't recommend it enough. Just make sure to disable Sunset Invasion if you have it because it's the biggest 'fuck you' DLC ever (Europe gets invaded by endless hordes of Aztecs via the Atlantic). And, if you don't have Conclave and The Reaper's Due, then get them on sale.

Baybars, the one-eyed alcoholic dwarf, is long gone. I'm about four more generations along, slowly growing in power.

I'm the light green in Spain. The Almoravid and Massufid dynasties to the south have spent the last hundred years fighting internally over control of their own kingdom, which is lucky for me because I still haven't managed to kick them out of their foothold in Spain. I'm a bit busy with internal stuff.

The religious situation is all kinds of fucked up. It's not like the old days when you could count on the south being Muslim and the north, Christian. It started getting out of control around the time Zikri heretics were rising up in my provinces. One thing lead to another and I had formed a secret society to spread their cause. My extended family caved the quickest. I targeted my vassals who resisted by having their heirs educated by people who I knew to secretly be Zikri adherents. I disbanded the secret society, and it's now out in the open. My vassals are revolting against each other (gotta keep 'em separated), and I have no idea where this thing ends.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    My favorite is still Victoria II, which I've played for a while.
    I'm more hyped about Vicky 3 rolling around than probably any other sequel anyone could do.
    I finally played a whole bunch of Vicky 2 late last year. I enjoyed it, but as soon as the laissez faire kicked in, I missed building railroads myself. <-- (State capitalist at heart)

Eidolon is the complete opposite of Valley: The HUD is minimal, almost non-existent; the graphics are heavily stylized and built up from basic, geometrical shapes; you start in a forest somewhere with no backstory, you have no idea where you are, how you ended up there, or where you are going; the game is slow, almost an exercise in patience; there is a story, but it doesn't present itself at all; and you have to figure out everything for yourself.

Once you get going, you'll find mushrooms and berries to pick, and also tools for hunting and fishing, fires can be started, and you can also get hurt, cold, hungry, wet etc which have to eventually be remedied lest you want to die, so there is a clear survival element present. I have yet to find any people to talk to, but they have left behind notes, diary pages, or posters in which you can learn more about what has happened, and also get pointers on where to go next. The world covers a pretty large area, so you do walk a lot and finding anything is so out of the ordinary that you almost get a little excited. Nothing ever happens unless you make it happen, except for the occasional animal or a change in weather.

It surely is not a game for everyone and I can't say I'm thrilled, but I am intrigued, so I will try it again once I'm done with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, which, by the way, was better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    (Europe gets invaded by endless hordes of Aztecs via the Atlantic)
    That sounds like the greatest DLC ever.

Page 462 of 464 FirstFirst ... 212362412417422427432437442447452457458459460461462463464 LastLast