TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 481 of 481 FirstFirst ... 231381431436441446451456461466471476477478479480481
Results 12,001 to 12,020 of 12020

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Huh

Also, Mankind Divided definitely suffers from a weak beginning but improves considerably. I liked Golem City and I'm enjoying my return to Prague after finding the city rather boring the first time round.
    It is rather bland the first time, not to mention loading times, these are abymal. But there are only two sections, and the second one is quite big, with all the vent and canal network running throughout the city, as well as multiple apartaments accessible only from the roof or balconies, with all interiors are already loaded etc. They also tried to do something interesting with it, not only changing the time of day; at some point things get worse and there's a curfew, so spaces like interiors, gang teritories you cleared, hideouts etc. are safe zones, while the streets are danger zones.

Also, I'm not sure about that, but I did they switch the takedown controls in DXMD? IIRC, in DXHR takedown kills was the "easier" option, you just had to press the button, while knockouts required holding the button for a while. IMO that made more sense. In DXMD you have to hold down the button for the kill, and press the button for knockdown, so the latter is basically useless.

Nah, takedowns vs kills worked the same way in DXHR.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    When I opened up AssCreed Rev after months away, they were all screaming at each other like the family down the street with the blackout curtains. I turned around and left. I'm kinda scared to go back.
    I spent a couple of seconds trying to parse who "they" were until I saw it was an Anarachic Fox post so it didn't matter anyway.

Here's another nonsensical post to go with that one though:
    This week I planned on getting back into Yakuza 0 since I have Kiwami, (half of) 4, 5 and 6 waiting for me, but I instead opened up Senran Kagura Estival Versus and spent some more time getting into the mechanics and then getting put off by just how lecherous the game is again. Like, you'd expect a game with an all-female cast that spends its time exploding the clothes off each other to be lecherous, but it exceeds all expectations in a bad way. Then I turned off the PS4 and started up Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (its predecessor, which I have on PC), which is sliiiightly better about not making me feel unclean, just to find it lacking a bit in the features Estival Versus added (situational finishers, collectables). It also insists on rendering at 720p when the resolution is set higher.
    I think the thing that annoys me most is the plot presentation, which is visual novel style text on static background, or 3d characters posing at each other on a 2d background with a textbox at the bottom. All of the exposition is dumb, and not really sincere dumb or witty dumb. It's either with a wink towards the audience, like "hehe this girl is totally in lesbians with this other oblivious girl", the serial groper girl wanting to grope everyone else, or just out of place po-faced "my ninja parents died somehow while doing the same kind of fighting I'm doing now (which seems to end with being left without clothes at worst) and then I had to take care of my 7 brothers and sisters when I was 9 years old and it was really tough and then some years later grandpa taught me the ninja way of exploding other girls' clothes". Sometimes there's exposition during the levels but the action is too frantic to pay attention to subtitled Japanese. The only thing I like about the visual novel bits is that in post-fight scenes clothing damage hasn't been reset so you end up with serious conversations being held while one of the characters has her own face pasted twice over her chest as censorship.
    The actual gameplay is dumb but fun enough, kind of like people describe how they enjoy Dynasty Warriors games but I can't seem to.

I think I want one of these games that's just less like bad anime. I'll probably drop them again and actually get on with Yakuza 0.
    Last edited by Jeshibu; 18th May 2018 at 18:54. Reason: added a visual example

Thing What Kicks
    A while back, I set the Steam storefront to not show me anything tagged with anime, JRPG or early access.
    It now shows me almost nothing but survival games.

Maybe set it to not show those, either?

Gonna start playing Thief on Twitch in just a few minutes, actually. Giving the HD mod a chance and using Tfix. Also slowly drinking myself insensible.

Poke my signature if you want to say hi!

Moderator and Priest
    OMG it be Wynne O_0

Wynne! <3

In the early days, she was just about the only person on the CoSaS team equipped to deal with emotional problems.

Yours or someone else's in particular?

I'll see myself out.

Played some Avorian tonight. It's like the X series but much easier to get into, and you get to build your own ships and every ship & station is unique (procedurally generated). I think as a game where you just make your own ship and go out and explore & fight with it, and gradually upgrade to bigger ships & stations, it's kind of the ideal space sandbox game in that sense. The creative & accessible parts is what it has over X3 and Elite, so that's why I think it bumps ahead of them, or will by the time development is done and as a more casual game. If I wanted something deeper I'd go back to X3. The ships need to look less clunky and more story needs to be filled out, but I think those things will improve with time. Edit: Could probably use some kind of crafting like space engineers, or a space version of Subnautica too.
    Last edited by demagogue; 19th May 2018 at 12:19.

Hey, Renzatic, Fox! <3 Been a long time, hope you've been well! I'm so glad to be remembered that way, Fox. It's not how I thought of myself, though I've been learning there's a definite disconnect between how I see me and how others see me. I always think I'm a pain in the ass. *lol*

I got way too drunk last night and ended up in no shape to even finish Lord Bafford's manor, but I'll try again later. Sober.

I'm playing Starfinder today, btw. (D&D IN SPAAAACE!) My character's a Lashunta detective.

Jason, that was funny. XD

I'm playing Thief again, if anyone wants to come remind me where I'm going. I get lost a lot. *lol*

Can anyone tell me whether Elder Scrolls Online the shit, or just"shit"?

Moderator and Priest
    I hear it's somewhere in between.

And that is what metamucil does wonders for.

I decided to start a ghost play (think "playing slowly, according to conducts or self-imposed restrictions") of Dragon Quest Builders, and it has been immensely rewarding.

Just completed Dead Island: Riptide (and with that, both Dead Island titles).

I found the interlocking systems in the games quite compelling - loud indestructible guns vs. silent breakable melee weapons, constantly respawning enemies and items vs. your character's progression, wide open spaces vs. urban environments, etc. (I do understand Dying Light recontextualises these systems much better, though).

But boy oh boy, is it one schlocky game (or two, rather). Most of the characters are repugnant, the story is so poor not even Steven Seagal would bother turning up for a movie version, and the whole tone of the games is quite crass. Let's put it this way, it doesn't surprise me in the least they included a bikini zombie torso in their collector's edition.

Still, I enjoyed both games. Gonna file them under 'guilty pleasures', though, rather than 'stone cold classics'...

While I'm now enjoying Mankind Divided a fair bit, I have to say that I'm finding the scenario and what they do with it pretty played out. So many situations - both in terms of plot and levels - feel very much like déjà vues. It doesn't help that the whole conspiracy shtick means we get the same plot and character points over and over and over.

What I'd like to see in one of these conspiracy games would be antagonists that actually believe in the rightness of their actions. Characters like Serenity's Operative, perhaps, who are credible in thinking they're genuinely doing this for the betterment of mankind. What we always get is variations on what Assassin's Creed does with the Templars: shadowy powers that want to wield power above anything else, that want to exploit and rule and don't care who gets fucked up in the process. They all spout grandiose speeches about how the masses cannot deal with freedom, but they generally utter hypocrites. I want a Templar or Illuminatus or Stonecutter who can argue their position with intelligence and empathy, not another phony ideologue who's just trying to fill their own pockets or sadist who gets all hot and bothered when they have power over others.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    What I'd like to see in one of these conspiracy games would be antagonists that actually believe in the rightness of their actions.
    I thought DX:IW and DX:HR both did that fairly well. Especially DX:HR, where you can argue extensively with most of them.

Page 481 of 481 FirstFirst ... 231381431436441446451456461466471476477478479480481