TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 485 of 485 FirstFirst ... 235385435440445450455460465470475480481482483484485
Results 12,101 to 12,122 of 12122

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Torment definitely ticks that particular box. You tend to have lots of options in how you interact with others - mostly through conversation, but also through certain actions. I won't remember many of my decisions, but I enjoyed making them at the time.

I do wonder how I would've liked Planescape if I'd only played it ~20 years after its release. Back then, it was a massive breath of fresh air (after lots of fantasy consisting of permutations of elves/dwarves/orcs and little more), and I'm sure I'd still like it, but after reading some entries in the New Weird genre it'd probably feel less new and exciting. However, I think for me it's really the characters that I still remember best, and that'd still be the case; the Torment party members are okay, but there's no Morte there, for instance. There's also a distinct lack of Scottish accents.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yep, Morte is always brilliant. And for a tiefling, Annah's a very Scottish... cat? I'm looking forward to marching further in and seeing this thing and its characters unravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    unravel.
    Heh.

I'm convinced something like half of PS:T's charm is Mark Morgan's music. The other half is the characters, both in your party and in the world.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's that plus in the larger scheme of things, its design sensibilities show some smart choices - like borrowing liberally from Glaswegian patter, which adds a lot of unique flavour to its conversations. (I do sometimes wonder how people from Scotland felt while playing it.)
    Last edited by Sulphur; 19th Jun 2018 at 13:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    It's that plus in the larger scheme of things, its design sensibilities show some smart choices - like borrowing liberally from Glaswegian patter, which adds a lot of unique flavour to its conversations. (I do sometimes wonder how people from Scotland felt while playing it.)
    I'm fairly certain that a lot of those things (including how people in Sigil talk) is more or less straight from the source material (ie. the Planescape setting books).

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, you're right. I looked it up after I posted, and the cant's part of the campaign sourcebooks. There's some seriously fleshed-out fleshing out for its pen and paper setting.

The setting is the reason that PS:T is the only Infinity Engine game I've completed more than once.

Turns out the tree escape wasn't as difficult as I expected it. Of course I had to restart a dozen times, but I was expecting that I'd have to use Bash to destroy obstacles and open up paths while the water was nipping at my heels. It was difficult, but it wasn't Meat Boy or Hollow Knight's White Palace difficult.

(Talking of Hollow Knight: I remember people discussing which of the two is better, Ori or Hollow Knight. While I think both do different things very well, I'm in Camp Hollow Knight, mainly because of the atmosphere. Ori is beautiful to look at, but its tone and atmosphere don't really engage me emotionally so much as aesthetically. The mood of Hollow Knight, its deep melancholy, took hold of my imagination for a couple of weeks when I played it. Much of that is the music: Ori's soundtrack is very accomplished, but Hollow Knight's music is among my favourite game soundtracks of the last 10-20 years.)
    Last edited by Thirith; 20th Jun 2018 at 02:39.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh yeah, Ori isn't deep or anything, but it nails the major beats it has to in terms of character and mechanics. Dark and melancholy is more of a thematic preference, can't say I'd like one over the other given similar quality. But I do have multiple bones to pick with its designers about how they went about its difficulty. Time-sensitive escape segments but gameplay-important projectile systems don't reset on respawn and hence run asynchronously to flooding water? Super-thin spike edges designed to annoy instead of challenge? Like good god, what's wrong with you people?

However: from an aesthetic standpoint it is fucking lush. I just pause every now and then to look around (when I'm not being pummelled from five different directions at once that is) and soak in the glory that is the artwork, moving and otherwise. It's another thing that Ori's so bloody tiny against these detailed backdrops that getting a feel for level navigation is unnecessarily frustrating, but yanno, the overall experience is still bright and lovely.

(v. late edit: Ori doesn't get any easier past the Ginso tree, that's really just the first signifier that it isn't a gentle woodsy platformer. It's more or less claws out from thereon in.)
    Last edited by Sulphur; 20th Jun 2018 at 15:57.

Chakat sex pillow
    Continuing with PS:T, and... foiled by item decay.

So there's the point in the Lower Ward where Morte gets skullnapped. He apparently drops everything in his inventory when this happens, a thing I failed to notice because I'm running after these were-rats to find out where they went. A few days later, after doing Mebbeth's mage quests and testing my party's prowess, I get him back, then proceed to goggle at his empty inventory. I go back to where the incident occurred, but almost every gosh-darned item had decayed by that time. So I go back to a previous save and redo the entire thing because I'd given him some fairly important items. All done, I redo the mage quest, stuff's fine.

Only, it turns out, he also had the puzzlebox TNO's randomly handed by Mar, and that's now nowhere to be found. Which means I get to do this thrice-damned sequence of events again, but from an earlier save point, from the Alley of Lingering Sighs. I think I'm gonna do some Just Cause 3 instead because I feel like exploding something.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 21st Jun 2018 at 02:25.

Oh man, that sucks...

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, persistence has its perks. I cross-referenced the item code for Moridor's Box and summoned it into TNO's inventory via the debug mode. Hacky, but warranted in this case I think. Onwards!

Finished off Half-Life 1. Overall an excellent game. Had a blast (no pun intended) playing it. Textures have not aged well as have some of the sections, but overall it's still a fun game.

Final boss was a pain in the ass though. I remember when I first played this having no issue at all with it. But this time round I found the battle REALLY damn annoying, with it's teleportation move. Had to save scum to get anywhere with it. Grrr. In the end I found, just hiding behind one of the pillars to be the most effective way to do the battle and eventually beat him after dying something like 30+ times.

Administrator
    Enjoying The Signal from Tolva quite a bit. I'm not sure how much substance there is to the story yet, but the art style is appealing and it plays well. It's been a while since I've been this immersed in FPS combat.

I also ended up playing XCOM 2 because they've included that as the free game for PS plus this month. My son started playing COD:Black ops 3 but I'm not that interested. I was a bit nervous about XCOM 2 being complicated strategy and decisions but it turned out to make being strapped for resources quite fun. I made a bit of a mess of the second main mission and lost two soldiers to a grenade but it was tense trying to just extract the other two as one panicked and nearly didn't make it. I've just got a bit of a problem with the cheesy dramatic sci-fi blockbuster music so turned it off.

Also, my spirit animal is a coyote! Is that going to make things awkward?

It turns out that Shadowrun Returns is exactly the happy game I needed. I'm playing as myself -- the ultimate roleplay -- while specializing in buffing/debuffing and assault rifles. I gave a look at spirit summoning, which would have also used my main stat, but I decided it was too morbid for me.

I like the way this game handles the traditional RPG party. Instead of a uniform roster that you can draw upon at will, you have various NPCs that you meet, who can all be hired for much cheaper than regular shadowrunners. However, they all have their own motivations, and will only sign up for certain missions. I was also worried about the game being too easy on Normal, but roleplaying solved that. First off, I always go in with a party of three, not four, since I don't want (too many) others to die for my decisions. Second, I often take the difficult route when it's shown to me.
    spoiler:
    For example, in the mental hospital (which was quite accurate, up until the severed limbs and shooting), I made sure not to kill any patients, except the one with the chaingun. Also, in the Scientology building, I went into the inner sanctum alone, because opening the back door would have triggered an alarm and I didn't have enough Strength to get my party members in with me. I also managed to save Coyote's cousin, and she thanked me tearfully, which is a good thing since she represents my in-game totem.

Every NPC in the safehouse has an opinion of you, as I've discovered just playing naturally -- some of them like me, some of them respect me and some think I'm a complete idiot. (Just like in real life.) This may also be the first game I've discovered where the special dialogue option, unlocked via demeanors via high Charisma, is not always the best option. Finally, it may be the only game I've ever played where I turned down a sidequest... which, it turned out, made the next main quest objective easier.

I think my character is getting a tad overpowered, what with the extra Karma from using smaller parties, so we'll see if I continue to enjoy it as much as I delve through the second half.

Glad your enjoying it. It's an excellent game. Though not as good as the later Dragonfall and Hong Kong expansions. The fact that it's a quasi sequel to the SNES Shadowrun game hooked me in.

On a side note. You can get Shadowrun Returns for free over at Humble Bundle for a limited time. It's a great game worthy of playing.

Moderator and Priest
    What Icemann said. I love Shadowrun Returns, though it's Dragonfall and Hong Kong where Hairbrained Schemes hit their stride.

Definitely. People tend to be divided on which is better between Hong Kong and Dragonfall.

I'm thinking of replaying the "They Hunger" trilogy mod series for Half-Life next. It is by far the best TC I've ever played. And thats saying something as there is some damn fine TC mods for games out there.

I'm almost done with Ori, or at least with the story. Unless I'm mistaken, there's one of the DLC areas that I haven't visited yet and after that it's what looks like the final area, Mount Horu. I'm enjoying playing with the full (or almost full) toolbox, though I have to admit that most of those wooden doors still have me stumped - or perhaps I just suck at finding the switches? In any case, as I've written before, I think that Hollow Knight is more my cup of tea, mainly due to the melancholy and the more Souls-like progression, but Ori is definitely a lovely addition to the genre and well worth playing.

I have a couple of shorter games lying around that I might play afterwards, but my main plan is to do a replay of Fallout: New Vegas with a bunch of mods. The many, many roleplaying opportunities in Torment have made me want to play another game in which the majority of options aren't whether I shoot someone from far away, close up or whether I beat them to death with a stick.

Well this is a pretty game.
    FAR: Lone Sail

Page 485 of 485 FirstFirst ... 235385435440445450455460465470475480481482483484485