TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 49 of 312 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394445464748495051525354596469747984899499149299 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 7786

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

My Glass Dagger has soul trap and paralyse enchantments. What's that, bitch? That's just your soul being sucked into my blade.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 17th Jan 2012 at 18:32.

verbose douchebag
    That's a great combo.

I just failed and won hard at the same time in Metro 2033. I finished the game and decided to go back for some achievement hunting. One of those is about sneaking through the Fronline level without killing anyone. I remembered you can buy a stealth armor on the previous level (though I never bought armor before), so I decided to go with that. I loaded the previous level, rushed through it, grabbed the armor and proceeded to Frontline ... and I could swear I get 'visible status' on the stealth meter more than before, and there was a spot where guards heard me even though I never remembered being spotted there, buy hey, maybe I just wasn't in form.

So I managed to sneak through the level, got the achievement, decided to check the Metro wiki about armors ... and I realised I accidentally bought the heavy armor. Basically, I ghosted the level while handicapped. I'm going to view this turn of events positively and deduce that I simply rule the shadows!

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    excellent

now tell us about your thief fms

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    So I managed to sneak through the level, got the achievement, decided to check the Metro wiki about armors ... and I realised I accidentally bought the heavy armor. Basically, I ghosted the level while handicapped. I'm going to view this turn of events positively and deduce that I simply rule the shadows!

Re: daggers in Skyrim there's really no reason to worry about anything but the physical damage (except for soul trapping) since anything you hit should be dead instantly.

I just finished playing Assassin's Creed Revelations, and really the only thing I can think of worth mentioning about the game is that the credits for these games is god damn out of hand. Depending on the game, that can be kind of an overall statement for the industry.

There used to be a complaint that a lot of video games didn't always credit everyone involved. In the last few years, we've went the other way, and now most video games credit every single person working at every company that contributed anything whatsoever to the creation of the game - I've seen companies listing off employees at god damn Sony and BINK and Dolby.

In watching the credits for Assassin's Creed, they didn't quite go that far. But nearly half of the credits include people who, while technically they at least worked for either the developer or the publisher, had no part whatsoever in the creation of the game. Most of them probably weren't even aware the game was in development. It must be awesome to be able to accurately include every single game your company has conceived of (most likely at your sister studio you've never seen or visited, several hundred miles away) in your resume, because they were kind enough to include you in the credits.

"Really? What did you do in Military-Themed FPS XXVII?" "Well it says right there in the credits, I worked as a content developer *cough*"

And then to make matters worse, Assassin's Creed Revelations makes you sit through ALL FIVE BILLION BULLSHIT NAMES before you can get back to the game. HFSDHUAGHJAGADG.

Also, I am now back to playing MW3.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Most credits these days are of relative movie length. But Ubisoft seems to pretty regularly take the cake. The Scott Pilgrim credits is like 20 minutes long, it's fucking insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Re: daggers in Skyrim there's really no reason to worry about anything but the physical damage (except for soul trapping) since anything you hit should be dead instantly.
    Yes but it's fun to watch them go up in a blazing inferno as they ragdoll from 15x sneak attack damage!

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Most credits these days are of relative movie length. But Ubisoft seems to pretty regularly take the cake. The Scott Pilgrim credits is like 20 minutes long, it's fucking insane.
    Lol. I just had a meeting with an actor launching a web series looking to also make some mobile / web games as part of the marketing and fundraising, and had the (un)pleasure of completely breaking his naive expectations with the realistic time, effort and cost of modern game development...
    Last edited by Yakoob; 18th Jan 2012 at 03:15.

Well he could make a shitty flash game in a relatively short time frame (sans the long learning curve before you can even make a bouncing ball), and everyone would hate him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    The Metal Gear Solid 4 credits spring to mind immediately when thinking on this subject. The Deus Ex: HR credits were quite long as well, though were quite good.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Unless the first hit doesn't kill (I know it's rare), in which case, that paralyse enchantment would be useful.

Knows his stuff
    Finished The Missing Link. Man that was good. And very well paced, it felt like the first two thirds is mostly exploration and uncovering what's going on. I don't think I killed anyone during that time either, only non-lethal takedowns. But in the last third I was pretty much forced to take the lethal route and it felt very satisfying and... meaningful. Meaningful violence. I don't know if that makes any sense.

And the story does a nice job of planting seeds of what will surely show up again in the next Deus Ex game. In fact it feels like a better build up for the next installment than the main game did.

Tomorrow I get started on Shadows of the Damned.

Currently playing Dead Space Mobile on Android.

Not as sophisticated as the desktop / console versions, but it is a new and separate story.
    Touch mechanics work great, after the tutorial you aren't plagued by on screen overlays, you just touch the screen in left / right regions to control the "thumbsticks", And the rest of the prompts are on-screen as part of the HUD. Acting is a bit so-so but not quite resevil bad.

Easy difficulty (which I chose because I was scared of the controls at first) has turned out to be a god-mode playthrough. The only other available difficulty is normal, although i'll bet that when you beat it you'll unlock "hard" or "impossible" or something like that.

It's a weird mix of DS1 and DS2 that is supposed to take place on the Sprawl at (i think) the same time as Dead Space ignition.

Runs reasonably well on my aging Galaxy S Vibrant, although it is a ram hog. and my 380 mb of ram is just a bit too lacking at times, usually when there are lots of particles on screen. my FPS can drop below 10, or if it's really bad, the program will just force quit altogether. On a tablet or a newer smartphone I'm sure it would be better.

All in all it is done very well for a fully functional 3rd person shooter (not on-rails or minigame style like most iOS or Android games) on a 4 inch screen. I'm quite impressed, and at 7 bucks, it offers a lot of replay value.

A serious game on a casual platform.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Unless the first hit doesn't kill (I know it's rare), in which case, that paralyse enchantment would be useful.
    If there's something that can withstand the 540 points of damage I'm doing with my Blade of Woe (+ whatever the enchantment is if I feel like recharging it - elemental damage doesn't get the critical bonus does it?) then I've got problems. Hell, my ebony bow only does like 200 or something and that's enough to one-hit kill basically everything short of a boss-level npc.

Two new Duke Nukem 3d maps came out last week. I've tried both of them. The space station one is fantastic, with great visuals where you can see outside, lots of good fights, and both linear and non-linear parts. The cool part is how it starts out with the lights off and you have to go activate the reactor to access the rest of the station. Episode two was always my favorite and this map fits well with them.

The other is a huge city map with apartments and stuff called Parcade, but it chugs so bad on my GTX460, 1100t machine with Polymer (the way the author intended it to be played) that it is almost unplayable. On the center of the Parcade, my FPS goes below 5 sometimes. Apparently there is a visibility culling bug or something and they're investigating it. You know how Doom 3 doesn't render rooms you can't see? That feature isn't working here supposedly. Still it is a nicely designed level.

http://www.duke4.net/news.php

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    Dead Space Mobile
    I'm playing that too! Picked up the iPad version for 79 cents under EA's Christmas sale. I agree with your assessment of the story and the acting, but I'm probablly less optimistic about the controls than you are. They're functional, yes, surprisingly much so, but they still never feel quite natural. You can never really forget about them and loose yourself in the game like if you were playing with kb+mouse or a gamepad.

So continuing into the land of Skyrim. I have imposed myself a limitation to make the experience a bit more engaging - I cant use the world map, except when I find one in the world (like in Jarl's castle). So far this has led to some interesting gameplay. After Whiterun I left for that Vunder...something place where you are supposed to consult some dudes about your Voice right after slaying the first dragon. I looked at the map before heading ok - "ok follow the river, turn right on divide." Great!

I followed the trails, looking at the various signposts to guide me. All was going great and according to the plan, until some point where I think I took the wrong turn and got lost. I followed the path but there were no signs... only frost spiders, wolves and now, apparently assasins. I also ran like hell when accidentally bumping into a dragon.

After days of journeying and resources running low, I finally saw buildings! "Thank god - civilization!" I made it to a small village, restocked and helped the folk deal with some spiders in the mine. I continued on my journey through strange woods. I finally made it to Riften, and rested in a proper bed after days. Now I need to figure out where the fuck I actually am, and how to get to the other place.

-------

I really wish the game allowed you to ask random NPCs you keep running across for directions. SO many times I wish I could do that! One other complaint is how shallowly linear the quests are - I am trying to roleplay nonchalant and detached "in-only-for-the-money" redguard, but in practice it doesn't work too well since typical conversation goes like this:

"Oh I am in such a terrible situation, will you help me?"
    - Sure I'd LOVE to help you, dont care about any details or compensation, I'll leave at once; would you like me to blow you as well?
    - Tough shit, bye.

Would adding a simple "I can help... for a price" really been that hard (I know VOs and all but eh). I feel like I may be shooting myself in the foot by shutting people down left and right. Any thoughts on how this may break my game/make me miss awesome stuff eventually?

Taking a break
    Wait until you start getting into the

NPC: "Do X for me asshole"
    PC: "Fuck off"
    NPC: "Tough Luck, here's a quest added to your log"

situations.

verbose douchebag
    I think role-playing to that extent, while laudable, does try to hammer a square peg into a round hole somewhat.

butts

Playing without using the UI map is a great idea, though. I don't know if I could ever manage it without caving in, but I'd imagine that actually having to learn the terrain would give you a much greater sense of 'place'.

Rather than "blitz in a straight line until you reach the marker", having to think "follow this path until I reach a hollow tree on the left, then hang a right until the big clump of overhanging rocks, then left and straight on" would be great.

The whole 'having to learn and commit to memory your entire environment..or get lost and possibly die' is one of the best ways for feeling involved in a world (I feel it's one of minecraft's particular strengths, for instance).

Mind you, with an elder scrolls game, finding NPC #2397 to hand in 5 deathcap mushrooms (or whatever) without resorting to the map would probably drive me mad.

I'll turn Quest Arrows or whatever off in something like BioShock or Human Revolution, but I couldn't imagine playing Skyrim without them. It was doable in Morrowind since NPC's were always in the same location (having a much smaller gameworld helped too) but jesus, I'd go crazy trying to find radiant AI without it.

For my next playthrough, I'll print out a map like the gamebanshee one with all the locations and add the smaller roads. No ingame map or quest markers. That'll be fun.

Page 49 of 312 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394445464748495051525354596469747984899499149299 ... LastLast