TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 453 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106256 ... LastLast

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    HOW CAN THEY CUT THE POWER?! THEY'RE ANIMALS!

I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them quoting each other for a damn percentage.

Finished the first Witcher a couple of days ago. The game didn't pick up until the last few chapters for me but they made up for the previous ones. I love the ending..."But that sword...is for monsters!" *stab*. And the twist. Wow. Too bad the balance of the game was really messed up, at least on normal. Using potions, I had almost 2000 vitality and the last boss failed to even make a dent in my health bar.

Moving on to Witcher 2 now and the game is amazing looking. I forgot how good PC only games could actually be. Tears of joy.

Well at the moment I'm re-playing GTA SA on PS2 and L.A. Noire/Fable 1 on my 360.

@Jason Moyer: would love to argue these points with a reasonable fellow like yourself but this thread has enough of Magik Missile rage Just like I said: combat wasn`t my biggest issue with DA and I`d persevere otherwise.

@EvaUnit02: Heh, I thought as much about the upgrade - simply because there`s no space combat in the game so it had to be plot-tied. Also I think Joker mumbled something on the subject.

Just got Red Dead Redemption (360). Don`t remember being so awed by a videogame for a long time. What GTA IV, all is forgiven Rockstar. Spiritual successor to San Andreas perhaps. Also, super tight code as for such an ancient console...really impressed.

What a world - I can`t actually say I`m playing it...just walking around the ranch, careful not to break something or discover some terrible game destroying bug/design choice. Suddenly in a rush to finish ME2, game that in comparison started looking like 5 year old blinged out in Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    * lower armour class = better, WTF!?!
    Wasn't that the case with every cRPG made before the mid 90's? Wizardry, Ultima, Bard's Tale all used the normal D&D lower armor class = good thing didn't they?

No idea, tbh. Might well have.

I'd not encountered it till BG from what I can recall of other PC rpgs I've played. I'm pretty sure the 2 Dark Alliance offshoot games on ps2 did it differently. Very good games. Though FAR more Diablo-like. Better than Diablo in regards to controls, since you have direct control of your character rather than having to click to move etc.

Either way you adjust to the different style with armor ratings (in BG proper) after a while.

They could've included this lore in some form or another within the game (or atl east in the manual).
    Ever play Homeworld? The manual has an enormous entirely irrelevant description of the planet you begin the game by leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Ever play Homeworld? The manual has an enormous entirely irrelevant description of the planet you begin the game by leaving.
    ever play Baldurs Gate? theres dozens of books in the game with completely irrelevant information about the Forgotten Realms. everything from a description of a random mercenary company called "the red ravens" to historical information on cities you cant go to and battles from hundreds of years ago. also a few myths of the universe like the fateful coin, how Bhaal became a god, and descriptions of the universal entities that allow the use of magic in the multiverse.

yeah, still no books that tell you to not kill a silver dragon though... LOL

Isn't that part of a quest where you're helping someone build armor out of human flesh? And you though lawful/good characters would be ok with that? And can't you talk to the dragon before you kill it? (I can't remember)

Anyway, playing Fallout 2 since I've never actually finished it. Goddamn slowest opening of anything I've played, ever.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 9th Sep 2011 at 18:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Anyway, playing Fallout 2 since I've never actually finished it. Goddamn slowest opening of anything I've played, ever.
    Are you playing with the unofficial patch from nma? Because you really should be playing with the unofficial patch from nma. It doesn't speed up the frankly horrid opening, mind, just fixes about a million bugs.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    One part of which invalidates pretty much the entire plot of Homeworld 2. /pedant rant

Isn't that part of a quest where you're helping someone build armor out of human flesh? And you though lawful/good characters would be ok with that? And can't you talk to the dragon before you kill it? (I can't remember)
    lol... wasnt my problem, someone else on the forums here was upset about it.

wat?

Quote Originally Posted by Pemptus View Post
    Are you playing with the unofficial patch from nma? Because you really should be playing with the unofficial patch from nma. It doesn't speed up the frankly horrid opening, mind, just fixes about a million bugs.
    WAT?

did i enter some alternate universe where the brilliant FO2 is somehow considered bad? is this a bizzarro forum? whats going on here i dont even...?

Chakat sex pillow
    Hold your horses, pally-o. It's generally accepted that FO2, while great, wasn't as inspired as FO1 -- and how could it be? Read the posts again. No one said it was bad, just that it had a pretty slow opening, and a whole lot of bugs, both of which are true.

Yeah, the first 2 areas (Arroyo and Klamath) are boring as shit. Not "too much writing and not enough action" boring, just boring. The Den was better, but I'm still waiting for things to really kick in which I've been told they will (just hit Vault City). I'm pretty sure I was playing for about 5 hours before I found a 10mm pistol - that's kind of a slow opening.

Sulphur: That depends on who you ask. If you remember back to my play through of Fallout 2 a few months back I liked it more than Fallout 1 in the end.

UnrelatedComa: Havings books that you can read in games that have absolutely nothing to do places you'll visit or people you'll meet is a normal thing in games. They are there to give you more of a feel of the universe your within and its history.

Or to look on it another way, in reality you have books in your room (assuming you have books) that are filled with information on places and people you'll never meet. Does that make reality stupid just because you can't go those places or meet those people?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    One part of which invalidates pretty much the entire plot of Homeworld 2. /pedant rant
    What, "It kind of sucks" isn't enough reason to invalidate Homeworld 2?

3 games are currently competing for my time. DX: Human Revolution play through 2, though it['s pretty much dead in the water since I'm halfway through and already a demi-god. Excellent game - but it won't have the staying power of the original.

Space Marine is fun, but it's a straight up kill things action game. The best it can hope for is to be remember fondly as a fun game that didn't have enough to it.

Dead Island currently has most of my attention though. If I were to go down on a point by point list, it's probably not a good game. But I can't seem to want to stop playing it. If I understand correctly, that's Deep Shadow's modus operandi - games that mostly suck, but do enough interesting that you want to keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Hold your horses, pally-o. It's generally accepted that FO2, while great, wasn't as inspired as FO1 -- and how could it be? Read the posts again. No one said it was bad, just that it had a pretty slow opening, and a whole lot of bugs, both of which are true.
    Yeah, the first 2 areas (Arroyo and Klamath) are boring as shit. Not "too much writing and not enough action" boring, just boring. The Den was better, but I'm still waiting for things to really kick in which I've been told they will (just hit Vault City). I'm pretty sure I was playing for about 5 hours before I found a 10mm pistol - that's kind of a slow opening.
    opening gameplay != intro

the intro videos are so iconic there cant be a fault. pacing of the gameplay is subjective and up to opinion, ive never had a problem with it on any of my 10 characters. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    UnrelatedComa: Havings books that you can read in games that have absolutely nothing to do places you'll visit or people you'll meet is a normal thing in games. They are there to give you more of a feel of the universe your within and its history.

Or to look on it another way, in reality you have books in your room (assuming you have books) that are filled with information on places and people you'll never meet. Does that make reality stupid just because you can't go those places or meet those people?
    what? i think youre reading the conversation in the wrong frame of mind.

Isn't that part of a quest where you're helping someone build armor out of human flesh? And you though lawful/good characters would be ok with that?
    I did go into that:

Admittedly, this whole quest is about you trying to obtain armour made of human flesh, so I should have guessed something foul was afoot, but still.
    So, no, I didn't think my lawful/ good companions would be fully ok with that, however, they only complained after accepting the quest. If they had gone "Oh no, a Silver Dragon? But they're so nice and fluffy and everyone's best friend! No way can you even contemplate killing one of them! " beforehand then that would've been one way for the game to give me the correct information on Silver Dragons before I make my decision. As it is, noone says anything beforehand, then complains like crazy once you say yes. As such, my point still stands, the game doesn't teach you enough beforehand; that's bad design.

Also, this is only one of a myriad of such examples in the game (even though I can't necessarily remember all the details of the others).

Nevertheless - and this seems something some of you conveniently seem to want to forget - I still loved the games. Doesn't mean I can't see and discuss the flaws in the games, though.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by UnrelatedComa View Post
    opening gameplay != intro

the intro videos are so iconic there cant be a fault. pacing of the gameplay is subjective and up to opinion, ive never had a problem with it on any of my 10 characters. *shrug*
    Eh? We're obviously not talking about the intro cinematic. We're talking about the opening to the game proper. Why would anyone complain about, 'War. War never changes.'?

So, no, I didn't think my lawful/ good companions would be fully ok with that, however, they only complained after accepting the quest. If they had gone "Oh no, a Silver Dragon? But they're so nice and fluffy and everyone's best friend! No way can you even contemplate killing one of them! " beforehand then that would've been one way for the game to give me the correct information on Silver Dragons before I make my decision. As it is, noone says anything beforehand, then complains like crazy once you say yes. As such, my point still stands, the game doesn't teach you enough beforehand; that's bad design.

Also, this is only one of a myriad of such examples in the game (even though I can't necessarily remember all the details of the others).

Nevertheless - and this seems something some of you conveniently seem to want to forget - I still loved the games. Doesn't mean I can't see and discuss the flaws in the games, though.
    im not conveniently forgetting, thats cool you love the game. i dont think your wording is proper though. there wasnt "correct" info to have about the quest, or the several other quests that allow you to go pure evil. BG2 was attempting to balance out the capability of playing it evil without being completely screwed over. on that particular issue i dont think they succeeded 100% but at least they tried which is more than you can say for playing BG1 evil.

however i really enjoy that it grinds your gears that you stumbled into a quest and performed it to its evil conclusion. im guessing its more of a bruised ego rather than a game flaw that your lawful good characters did something so evil because the game didnt explicitly state silver dragons are good.

"you telling me you tracked down a serial killer, found an unfinished suit of human flesh, murdered a silver dragon for its blood, and completed the human flesh armor quest with a lawful/good party?"
    "THE GAME DIDNT TELL ME NOT TO!!!"

:thud:

I see we pretty much immediately have lengthy discussions about particular games appearing in this thread. This would be why Ulukai closed the original megathread. Why not create a "I'm playing Baldur's Gate" or "I'm playing Fallout 2" thread?

Ok, if anyone still has the energy (I do, as the topic`s as close to my gaming heart as Thief itself), get in here.

*casts Turn Undead*

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I see we pretty much immediately have lengthy discussions about particular games appearing in this thread. This would be why Ulukai closed the original megathread. Why not create a "I'm playing Baldur's Gate" or "I'm playing Fallout 2" thread?
    That's true like something that's the opposite of true.

Page 6 of 453 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106256 ... LastLast