TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

2 days further into .hack GU part 1 and my opinion has improved quite a fair bit of it. The combat whilst yes its changed over the earlier series isn't as much of a drastic change as I first thought. More a strategising of it alittle more.

The new mechanics of running a guild (complete with guild levels with is a very a-typical MMO thing), motorbike transport, and getting side quests from NPCs (in the .hack games you generally get all quests given to you in outside of "game" emails are a welcome that helps add in the "playing in a mmo" feel to the game (since with the .hack games your playing a game within a game). The story now makes a hell of alot more sense than it did initially, and I'm enjoying the game alot more now.

Looking forward to seeing where game heads to.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    After you finish Stealth Bastard[/SIZE]
    Good lord, I got to the last level last night. I've really enjoyed the puzzles up to this point, but my god if I manage to figure out how to move 5 inches in this one without dying it will be a goddamn miracle. I'm thinking that checking the user levels out will precede any successful attempt at completing the final level.

El Shagmeister

And now, a proper update from yours truly!

Voila!

• TES V: Skyrim (PC) - After my fling with Skyward Sword and totally devastating the last boss (bit of a dissapointment that fight tbqh), I return to my beloved frozen Skyrim. Man, it feels good just to wander around riding Shadowmere, opening up new areas and doing some cool sidequests. Great to be back!
    • Red Steel 2 (Wii) - Guess I wasn't finished with motion sword controls after Skyward Sword...heh. I picked this little gem at a bargain bin. Not bad, not bad. Cool gameplay, awesome artistic design. Shame about the simplistic level design. Still....samurai cowboy?, Hell yeah!
    • Rayman Origins (PS3) - Finished off World 3. Man, this game is HUGE and FUN!
    • CoD: Modern Warfare 3 (360) - Just doing Survival co-op rounds with a friend of mine until I resell this game for the Jak and Daxter HD Collection.

I want to rationalise that I refuse to play Skyrim because Oblivion was a disappointment, but truthfully, I'm terrified of the mud crabs. They're more realistic than I can handle.

Would top hats make them more approachable?

Having played through Skyrim it makes me want to give the PC port of Oblivion a second chance (I played the ps3 version a few years ago and got sick of the level scaling and gave up on it after a few days of play) with some mods installed to fix up the level scaling and other issues.

Good lord you don't even have to "play" Skyrim. It's worth it just to get on a horse and gallop around the countryside, discover a few new places, do a side quest here and there, grab some shrubbery, swipe some loot, bash some local fauna, forge something, talk to people... and just take in the sights.

I can understand that as part of the overall experience, but I don't think I would last long before the guilt sets in. Unstructured open worlds make me feel bad about being indoors.

I will eventually try out Skyrim (with top hats!)

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    So I'm done with Dead Space. Gave up about halfway through Dead Space Mobile -- I guess I'm burnt out or something. Extraction was very good, however.

Kinda taking a break from games for a while. Buuuut the lure of GTA's nostalgic value is tugging at me... this will develop.

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I want to rationalise that I refuse to play Skyrim because Oblivion was a disappointment, but truthfully, I'm terrified of the mud crabs. They're more realistic than I can handle.
    I can understand that, the spiders are way too lifelike for my liking. I switch to third person whenever one shows up. It makes ranged combat a bit fiddlier but if it manages to get close I don't get as freaked out. Feels like it's attacking my character and not me. Heh, this probably sounds really stupid to someone who's not phobic of things like this but it's true.

Anyway, the mudcrabs move pretty slowly, you can outrun them even by running backwards. Just don't go into the water.

Also, I didn't like Morrowind, and couldn't really get into Oblivion, but I am loving Skyrim. So don't judge it too much based on the previous games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Good lord, I got to the last level last night.
    Yeah I remember that one. Super Meat Boy-like difficulty. But at least in SB's final level you get a few checkpoints, so you don't need to start over from the beginning if you die halfway through.

edit: I tried youtubing for a video of the last level and the only one I found was this half-hour video of a guy dying 119 times while playing through the level. Ah... that makes me wanna play the game again.
    Last edited by henke; 29th Mar 2012 at 01:50.

I've played the Monkey Island 1 Special Edition to completion and I'm now playing MI2 Special Edition, just finished the first chapter of the game. I'm happy to notice that in MI2 they've addressed my two minor gripes concerning the first one: 1. There are more animation frames when characters walk somewhere, it looks more natural now. 2. The interface has been overhauled into something better than the first game had. With the first game with the grog mug switching puzzle I had to switch to the classic version because of the cumbersome interface. The interface on MI2 is a lot better.

The games themselves are quite a lot of fun but I'm not going to talk about that, most everyone who likes adventure games has probably played them or at least knows what they're about.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah I remember that one. Super Meat Boy-like difficulty. But at least in SB's final level you get a few checkpoints, so you don't need to start over from the beginning if you die halfway through.

edit: I tried youtubing for a video of the last level and the only one I found was this half-hour video of a guy dying 119 times while playing through the level. Ah... that makes me wanna play the game again.
    C'mon guys, it's not that hard I finished it a few weeks ago and didn't remember even as many deaths as the average Meat Boy level.

Plus Stealth Bastard has checkpoints in almost every level...

I've more or less accepted what L.A. Noire is and what it isn't - which makes it a lot less aggravating. However, I mind how it punishes you for thinking too much; half the time I come up with good reasons to go to location B before checking out location A (usually they boil down to, "Chances are I'll be able to confront character X with more evidence!"), but since the game is designed that going to B before A actually means I miss out on certain clues - which I have no way of knowing based on the evidence - the case is closed as only partly successful. Some of the ways L.A. Noire penalises its players seem way too random.

Help, I am stuck in a time sink!

I had heard the shouts on the internet. "It's been released!". I ignored the calling, I really don't have the time.

It is my fault... 2 nights ago I typed the web address in for the first time in months and months. I found myself not extremely busy for once in a rare evening. I thought, "an hour, I will check out this new update and that will be enough". That night I went to sleep at 1am, having lost 3 hours.

I hoped that was the end of the madness, but no... last night, 1 hour turned into 3.
    I had found hardcore mode and I was hooked.

This morning 1 hour turned into 3 again. I can't let this happen.

I have now hit rock bottom though, surely this is the chance to escape.
    I have achieved the obvious (survived the night, grew some trees and dug to the bottom of the world).

Last time I played that was about as much to the game as was possible, (excluding building a roller coaster, or giant monument to your favorite computer game character or possibly computer within a computer. All laudable, but who the hell has the time for that?)

No... now I have a chance to end the madness and escape. My plan this month was to pick up the shreds of my life (after 1.5 years of solid, constant work).

So I quit the game...yes I am still alive, and yes I still have full iron armour, tools and a bag of red stone and coal... but this is the time to walk away.

Hmm... what's this "Achievements" button?

What? What the hell does We Need To Go Deeper mean?

What... oh my god... there is an END? and an END!

I am in trouble...
    [and I though skyrim would be the only world I left to the doom of a dragon due to not having enough time to play computer games].

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Happy Wheels. That is all.
    Hahaha, well that was unexpectedly awesome and gruesome.

The controls are a bit QWOP-ish, except applied in a way that actually makes the game playable. I like it.

I've been messing around with the really easy drag-and-drop level editor recently too! A friend of mine described it as a cross between Trials and QWOP, which I think sums it up pretty well!

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Help, I am stuck in a time sink!

I had heard the shouts on the internet. "It's been released!". I ignored the calling, I really don't have the time.
    You fail to mention the game that you've been playing in your entire post. I assume that it's Minecraft?

I don't play that game as it's made by racists.

Knows his stuff
    Yeah Notch don't care about creeper people.

ANYWAY I was just playing some Trine 2 coop with Sulphyboy and it was might good fun!

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I don't play that game as it's made by racists.
    terrible troll 0/10

Anyway, so I fired up Mafia for the first time.

Er, am I playing a different game from the 'masterpiece' everyone jerks themselves into a stomachache over? The voice acting is kind of bad, the city feels lifeless and robotic, the ambient audio is non-existent, the game itself is pretty ugly for 2002 with one of the worst draw distances I've ever seen...

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Unlimited Draw Distance mod available here.
    http://mafia.hodnoceniher.cz/mafia1_en/mody.html

Tried that. Brings even my beefy system to its knees and the popup is just as bad, just further away.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post

Er, am I playing a different game from the 'masterpiece' everyone jerks themselves into a stomachache over? The voice acting is kind of bad, the city feels lifeless and robotic, the ambient audio is non-existent, the game itself is pretty ugly for 2002 with one of the worst draw distances I've ever seen...
    Don't forget "cars handle like ass" :I

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Anyway, so I fired up Mafia for the first time.

Playing a lauded game for the first time a decade after it's been released is almost always a mistake in my experience. It's never gonna live up to the hype. Mafia was certainly a great game in it's day(wouldn't go so far as to call it a "masterpiece"). I can agree that the city is lifeless though, after you finish the story there's really nothing to do.

Well now that I'm getting into the groove of things, it's grown on me. The voice acting is still laughable at times and gunplay is a bunch of fiddly bullshit I can't stand, but I'm liking the story.

I can't remember the voice acting being that bad - stylised, yes, but it definitely never stuck in my mind as outright bad. Do you have any examples? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering whether it's my faulty memory or just different standards.

I only played it about a year ago and was somewhat underwhelmed myself; to my mind, the game didn't live up to its own ambitions. Especially after having played games that did much better at creating a living, breathing city, I found Lost Heaven to be lacking. Not entirely fair, I know, seeing when the game came out... but Mafia would've needed something at least on par with San Andreas's cities to work for me. Perhaps they should've made the game a couple of years later.
    Last edited by Thirith; 2nd Apr 2012 at 04:39.

Page 70 of 305 FirstFirst ... 202530354045505560656667686970717273747580859095100105110115120170 ... LastLast