TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    hahaha i'm just fucking with you dude

I know. I mentioned the sex sim just to fuck with people too.

But I wasn't lying about the spiritual purity shit. I almost wish there were a "perfect sim" where there's just you and an open, natural world, and you can walk around with a dog, chop wood and carry it to the fireplace, fuck in the kitchen, drive a pickup truck to the gas station to fill it up, set up a telescope at night to look at the moon, fish, play a record ... you get the idea.

Knows his stuff
    Sounds like Minecraft. Except for the fucking, driving and telescoping bits. Unless you happen to walk into MrDuck's sex-kitchen.
    Last edited by henke; 15th Apr 2012 at 02:49.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    But I wasn't lying about the spiritual purity shit. I almost wish there were a "perfect sim" where there's just you and an open, natural world, and you can walk around with a dog, chop wood and carry it to the fireplace, fuck in the kitchen, drive a pickup truck to the gas station to fill it up, set up a telescope at night to look at the moon, fish, play a record ... you get the idea.
    That's pretty pathetic of you.

Cute but it usually works the other way. People that play WoW or Skyrim literally can't get off it if a woman walked in the room ready to go.

Irrelevant. Its a purely hypothetical situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    That's pretty pathetic of you.
    ram ur dick in ur self

Well the 2 of them held back for half a day, so that's a new record.

And Koki despises my sim idea. So it has that going for it.

Minecraft ... to an extent. I'd like a game-world has a more "realistic" and darker tone. Stalker, at least its world and walking around it, is a reference here. I liked the tone of that world. Another thing I wish they'd make sims for is ways of life that are way different than anything we could experience now, like a medieval Japanese tea ceremony, or a Russian shtetl, or Sassanid court life or whatever, and then didn't cop out in simulating it, or pull a Dear Esther where there's no real interactivity and it's a glorified movie, but more like DwarfFortress is uncompromising in modeling its world & the level of interactivity, if only you weren't an effing fantasy ascii character. But I wouldn't say these should be for popular consumption. Some indie person could make them.

Sounds a lot like Myst to me, which isn't a bad thing by any means.

So Vice City Stories is a lot of fun.

While I'd love to have a PC version of this, VCS is still quite playable -- the draw distance is actually very good and so far I've not had a huge issue doing most of the missions. I like this "early" take on the city, where certain landmarks haven't been built yet and some things in VCS' 1984 are long gone in VC's 1986, such as a trailer park.

The "empire building" mechanic is interesting. I haven't done much of it -- just set up about 4 small businesses that are mostly left alone. Each business is owned by you or one of the gangs, and you can take over by slaughtering the gang members hanging out around them. They will, in turn, attack yours, though they seem to leave you alone if you keep your businesses small-time. I probably should've rolled over the Cholos before the Bikers did, 'cuz now I can't take over those businesses without pissing the Bikers off.

Also, Lance Vance is the biggest idiot in the world.

Cocaine tends to do that to a guy.

My biggest gripe with the game was how shitty the aircraft controls are. Actually hitting anything with aerial gunnery is a feat. On that note, I would absolutely love to see a Vita GTA game.

Still Subjective
    I wish they'd make sims for is ways of life that are way different than anything we could experience now, like a medieval Japanese tea ceremony, or a Russian shtetl, or Sassanid court life or whatever
    This I can get behind, but your initial "perfect sim" idea was just terrible. You should just DO those things. The point of games for me is to have experiences I can't have in RL, not emulate something I can do for real.

verbose douchebag
    There is a massive cognitive difference between doing these things and simulating them. Simulations are devoid of real-world consequences for one, so you can truly experiment with how you do them.

Ok ok. Well the point of a perfect sim isn't what you do but what you can do. I just made up that example on the spot and concede it's not great by itself (maybe if you added a forest fire to escape or some explosion in the distance to go and investigate). But what I meant was like a platform out of which you could do anything, especially things FPS game characters don't normally do but real people (and characters in IF) do, and make any kind of story-telling FP game... Minecraft actually hasn't been too bad if you've been playing the fan maps; it's just I'd rather it be more realistic. And I said already I disapproved of the lack of interactivity in Dear Esther, so I think there should be something to do and a story to be interactively told too. And then for the actual settings & stories I was thinking more like the examples you quoted after I thought about it some more.

Edit: Ninja'd. Yeah, I like the idea of more realistic scenarios but you can really screw with that world like you couldn't IRL. But I don't want to see the end of the author either. I don't want to give that impression. For me they should still be platforms for telling stories or presenting this vision of a world, even if they're very hands off and let their world emerge on the player's own initiative. Or I don't know, maybe like Minecraft in that regard too, since MC starts with this agnostic world, but an author can build a world & story out of it too, just not simulate it (the NPCs & story-events anyway) that much like I'd hope for.

edit2: I think this engine might be the base: http://procworld.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by demagogue; 16th Apr 2012 at 10:02.

dema, I really like your idea about STALKER, I found that world/enviroment an absolute wonder to explore, but without any combat, just a desolate yet beautiful and strange place to wonder around in.

I'm currently playing UFO: Afterlight with the excellent Total rebalance mod, it's one of the games i keep coming back to.
    Also playing Quake Live now and then, but i've never really stopped playing Quake since 1996.
    Oh, and i'm trying the open TERA beta this weekend, i only wanted to play with the pretty girl boob character editor at first but the game isn't bad so i'm enjoying it. Haven't seen any MMORPGs that didn't bore me after a week or so since EverQuest and Saga of Ryzom though and this isn't going to be any different.

El Shagmeister

What AM I playing?

FEZ!

\/
    Last edited by MrDuck; 20th Apr 2012 at 18:51. Reason: D'oh! I knew that, Sulph...guess I wrote it a bit too fast and too distractedly. Thank you, grammar nazi! :D

Cute! It's like a 2.5D Knytt. I just wish it had an editor like Knytt Stories so fans could put out their own maps too.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Fez
    What AM I playing. Questions constructed in that fashion usually follow a reversed verb-subject order.

There's this article on Ars Technica about one of Fez's more incredibly obtuse/esoteric puzzles, and it's a bloody good read; it talks about how it took a communal approach to solve what was, essentially, a near-unreadable puzzle. It's almost kinda sorta some form of videogame investigative journalism.

Just finished Botanicula from the Humble Bundle.

Holy fuck. That was one of the most joyful things I've experienced in a long time. Almost every screen is filled with either "d'aaaw", "coo" or laugh out loud moments.

Go play it now if you're happy to have a soul.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, that rules Koki out.

I'm inclined to agree with Pemptus's assessment, and about half of that joy comes from the sound design, which I don't recall being as taken up with in Machinarium. It's also been fairly easy so far, but given the fact that it looks and sounds gorgeous, having obstacles to progress kept at a minimum is a good thing.

Knows his stuff

Played and finished The Ball over the past few evenings. It's quite a beatiful game at times, and the architecture of the underground Mayan temples is fantastic and always epic. Everything is big as hell. A weird thing that happens is that the Ball really gets anthropomorphized after you've spent the entire game with it, relying on it for solving puzzles and killing baddies. More than once have I caught myself yelling "come on, man!" at it when it gets stuck behind some scenery. The puzzles, overall, are ok, though rarely very challenging. I really liked the low-gravity puzzles. And the floaty feel of the jumping lends itself well to all the platform jumping. On the minus side, the combat is an akward and unweildy affair, and the story isn't particularly gripping. I got the game as part of the Be Mine bundle though, so it was certainly worth what little I spent on it. Best Portal-wannabe so far.

Well that's Vice City Stories done with. Aside from some IRRITATING fucking missions (including one that takes about 20-30 minutes to do because you have to fly the slowest helicopter in the world) it's overall a pretty good GTA game! The soundtrack is nice, the Phil Collins concert (which you provide security for) is one of the greatest things ever, and there's a few anti-frustration features such as being able to buy back your weapons after getting busted or wasted. Also, sunrises are absolutely beautiful.

I guess next is the original Vice City or something.

El Shagmeister

Man...200+ hours with Skyrim and still going strong.

RAWR!

Though I should start making some concrete plans on -what- I want to do while I finish the main storyline. 'coz this fucker's getting shelved for quite some time after I finish it.

Also, Fez rocks my cocksocks.

Having played Call of Pripyat for 2-3 hours now, the game's finally clicked for me. I think I had a very similar experience with the other two Stalker games as well - I had to 'unlearn' normal shooter behaviour and play this more like something between a regular FPS, Operation Flashpoint and Thief in order to enjoy it.

Page 75 of 305 FirstFirst ... 2530354045505560657071727374757677787980859095100105110115120125175 ... LastLast