TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Knows his stuff
    You're thinking of GTA4 EvaUnit. If he's playing LCS on PC it's through a PS2 emulator and I don't think that has anything to do with GFWL.

Anyway, current playing: I'm in chapter 3 of Binary Domain. The dialog-system is wonky but apart from that it's an extremely polished and fun cover-shooter. Also dipping my toes into Bastion and Lone Survivor. Liking LS very much. Bastion I'm just kinda hoping will get better any moment. I like the narrator, but the story or the gameplay isn't doing anything for me.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I was actually playing on PS2.

Anyway I watched the last 6 levels on Youtube so now I'm kinda trying to decide what to play next. It ain't gonna be GTA, not after what just happened. I'll do GTAIII later.

Max Payne 3?

I'm near the end. It's been damn depressing! But good action.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    You're thinking of GTA4 EvaUnit. If he's playing LCS on PC it's through a PS2 emulator and I don't think that has anything to do with GFWL.
    You're right, I was thinking of EfLC.

LCS was pretty damn average, I thought. VCS was far better and had an amazing soundtrack (even better than vanilla VC, IMO).

I've been jamming Saints Row 3 the last few days and I must say that I've been having a whale of a time. Gameplay wise, it's exactly what I wanted the hugely unfun GTA4 to be:- No shit "semi-realistic" driving physics; a shit load of side-activities in the sandbox outside of campaign missions; no "cutscene character motivations" that are completely schizo to the player's in-gameplay actions.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 8th Jun 2012 at 01:22.

Is the driving in SR3 anything like RF: Guerilla? Cause I'm playing GTA 4 atm and the driving in that is so much better than in Volition's game it's not even funny.

GTA vs Saints Row: the new(ish) C-64 vs Speccy/Amiga vs Atari/Intel vs ATI. And just as boring. Way too many variations on "Game X sucks, game Y rules (and if you don't realise this you're an idiot)."

Well played, sir.

Thing is, I'm very much of your opinion with respect to the Saints Row driving, N'Al (at least if SR3 handles like SR2). I absolutely see the appeal in Saints Row's crazy sandbox of fun - but for various reasons I don't enjoy it myself. I don't enjoy the Jackass-style humour, I don't enjoy the gameplay, because my own preference is very much for the more coherent, credible worlds that Rockstar creates. Shamus Young just had a post about this, and while he's pretty good with words he is pretty bad at making a distinction between "X is bad, therefore I criticise it" and "X is not according to my taste". I definitely understand why some people enjoy Saints Row but not GTA IV, even though I'm not one of them. Personally I'm glad that there are two series with a distinctly different feel, catering to the different tastes.

Knows his stuff
    Hah, that's always gonna happen with two very similar games.

N'Al, I love the driving in GTA4 too. SR3's driving is a bit more than that in RF:G and the earlier SR's, but still a bit flat compared to GTA4's. It'll get you from point A to B just fine but won't inspire many joyrides. The VTOL jet and the Hoverbike were fun though.

SR3's driving is fine for what it is. It's the city that's flat in a literal sense. Rockstar is much better at placing crazy jumps everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    SR3's driving is fine for what it is. It's the city that's flat in a literal sense. Rockstar is much better at placing crazy jumps everywhere.
    Exactly the reason why Vice City is my least favourite 3D GTA. Very atmospheric, but not particularly interesting to drive around in. Definitely a San Fierro man myself, all the way. (Is it just me or does that sound like a veiled, Rockstar-themed way of putting my sexuality into question? )

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Be sure to wear flowers in your hair.

The places where I'd have enough hair for that- Erm. Let me not finish that sentence. (Side note: is Miami as flat and topographically boring as Vice City? I don't know the place at all.)

The parts I've seen were pretty damn flat, yeah. Apart from the barbie dolls on the beach, that is.

*Boom tish*

I finished Mass Effect 3 for the fifth time. I mean, played it as far as the "defend the Thanix missiles" part and left it - seeing the ending once was enough. Apart from that, the most annoying thing is the extremely limited dialogue choices, but the gameplay happens to be so fun this time that I actually feel like trying out different classes, hence the multiple playthroughs (plus seeing the consequences of past actions, even if it just means some changes in the dialogue - I must hear every version!). Also, my custom Sheps look great in the game. So, all in all I think I got my money's worth from this game, despite the problems. Might even start another playthough - I still haven't tried being a Vanguard or a Sentinel.

I'm also replaying the Arma 2 Harvest Red campaign. Well, it's pretty much the same as before except with less bugs, so I'm having fun with it alright. I still totally like in it that they tried to combine a tac shooter gameplay and scenario with some decision making and non linear story and choices and multiple endings and stuff. We need tac shooter RPGs, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    I'm also replaying the Arma 2 Harvest Red campaign. Well, it's pretty much the same as before except with less bugs, so I'm having fun with it alright. I still totally like in it that they tried to combine a tac shooter gameplay and scenario with some decision making and non linear story and choices and multiple endings and stuff. We need tac shooter RPGs, definitely.
    Definitely much better than is commonly acknowledged. I still wish it had more of the "You're one small cog in a larger machine" missions I liked about Operation Flashpoint, but Arma 2, especially now after lots of bug fixing, is a worthwhile single-player experience.

In my on-going effort to play the classics, I finally got the old PS2 emulator up and working, and have been playing some Shadow of Colossus. It's as beautiful as they say. Reminding me a lot of Skyrim actually ... horseback riding through a massive, open world; lower-poly of course but the art direction is just as good. But it keeps the motivation boiled down to something pretty simple & compelling.

I loved SotC. Got to get around to ICO some day.

Just finished Max Payne 3.

The plot is okay, very different from 1 and 2, but the fun was top quality.

I replayed about a third of Mirror's Edge last night as, despite my massive backlog, I can't really figure out what I want to play next after giving up on the Sacred games. Apparently it's been long enough since my last playthrough that I don't remember most of the optimal routes through missions, so trying to find decent ways to get around the blues without getting killed is a fun challenge again. Still a game that's on my "never uninstall" list.

I'd kinda like to play Arkham City, but as is always the case now I have the DVD version and no one releases working nocd patches anymore so it will probably wait until I buy a second copy when it's $5 on Steam. I was thinking about trying to slog through all 5 ArmA II campaigns but that seems like too much of a commitment. There's the Witcher 2, but I need to replay the first one to get a decent save file going. I still need to do the DXHR, DS3, and FNV DLC, although I'd preferably like to replay the games in their entirety when I do that. That leaves Bulletstorm, Costume Quest, Hard Reset, and Stacking on my "perma-installed but not actually finished" list. Hm, maybe it's time to kick some fuckers in the dick. Or I could just play another 400 hours of NBA 2K12. Someone needs to release something interesting this year besides Dishonored.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    I'd kinda like to play Arkham City, but as is always the case now I have the DVD version and no one releases working nocd patches anymore so it will probably wait until I buy a second copy when it's $5 on Steam.
    If you're up to it, creating a disc image and keeping it mounted via Daemon Tools works handily enough.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    In my on-going effort to play the classics, I finally got the old PS2 emulator up and working, and have been playing some Shadow of Colossus. It's as beautiful as they say. Reminding me a lot of Skyrim actually ...
    I'd say it's time for glasses, but I'm afraid it's actually time for corrective eye laser surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    If you're up to it, creating a disc image and keeping it mounted via Daemon Tools works handily enough.
    I could always just keep the dvd in the drive, but who am I kidding. I've gotten lazy to the point where it's actually a chore to sit down and play a game.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Now you have a GfWL horror story too. GfWL deleted my Gears of War saves a couple years back.
    GFWL has a serious issue with user defined installations, the updates to any given game fail and one has to force the update manually. I had a hell of a time updating MS Flight recently, updates just didn't work. Install to the default folder or face hell. Maybe its a XP issue, don't know.

Not sure if I will buy the extra plane models since there is no cockpit modes and it doesn't seem to include any new missions to go along a purchase. Each plane alone is $7 and the one sole plane with cockpit mode is $14 or something. I just installed it on a whim. Might buy the Hawaii pack, maybe.

I want more cockpit mode, I gotta have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    I'd say it's time for glasses, but I'm afraid it's actually time for corrective eye laser surgery
    They're both 3P horseback riding through the open countryside. Do you really need it that fucking spelled out for you? I should have said Oblivion, Mount & Blade or even Morrowind with the horse-mod though to keep the comparison on equal footing, but whatever; I've been playing Skyrim lately.

If your point is that the art direction in SotC isn't that good though... I mean the lowpoly hurts it and it's too empty in places, like a games much older than it, but what is there has very good art direction I thought. Art direction != texture resolution & poly-count.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm replaying Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (1).

And ten years on, you know the first thing that really stands out? It's the fact that the first bunch of levels before you get your force powers are as incredibly painful to play now as they were back then. Pulling teeth without Novocaine would be more preferable on the pain scale.

And then, you get your force powers; and, for a brief moment, as the thrum of the light saber reverberates in your bones, you feel that, yeah, everything's going to be all right.

Of course, right after this is where Nar Shaddaa comes in. Everyone remembers Nar Shadaa, don't they? An entire civilisation came up with the word 'nadir' solely for it to be applied at some time in the future to the bunch of levels in Jedi Outcast set in Nar Shaddaa. It is a point in the game so awful that it managed to twist space and time, knotting my past and future replays into that singular moment where I raised my keyboard above my head and smashed it into the desk, sending whole keys and plastic shards flying into the air in violent arcs.

And then, the game instantly gets better. Bespin gives your first light saber fight and upgrades your force powers to the point that they're actually useful, and dear god, it is a joy. Still as good as ten years ago - the clatter and spark of sabers as they clash, sending people flying off ledges at the push of a button, choking them and then electrocuting them, it's all coming back in a giddily enjoyable parade of hilarious deaths.

It's taken about 5 hours, but the game's finally become as fun as most of us probably remember it. Talk about one hell of a starting problem.

Page 84 of 269 FirstFirst ... 34394449545964697479808182838485868788899499104109114119124129134184 ... LastLast