TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: A Sorrowful Farewell (15/10/2011) updated to v1.01

If this is the objective to get the Life Crystal, there's a book near the guard post with the gate lever that mentions a bad smell. Have a listen near the door.

Clearinghouse
    Thanks, nickie

I'm having a great time with this mission, still stumbling through a few places, but I think I'm close to the end now.

I've noticed a couple of places where the architecture "falls a little short":

# In the southeast section of the outdoors area, the outer north/south wall (the one with the barrels and crate on top that you can climb) doesn't quite reach the tower to the south.

# In the room south of the Mechanist chapel (the one with the staircase to the upper level, and the small courtyard to the west) the pole supporting the upper platform above the stairs doesn't quite reach all the way down.

Are these gaps intentional due to some technical problem, like scene complexity (loved that note, BTW) or just an oversight?

EDIT: OK, I've found the combination lock, but the clues provided are not giving me the right answer. I get the combination A13B4C2D, but it doesn't work. Can anyone point out to me what I'm doing wrong here?
    Last edited by Unkillable Cat; 15th Oct 2011 at 14:43.

I've just started, but been everywhere in the opening area; there are two doors I can't open: upstairs, off the courtyard, and downstairs off the entry hall to the North. there's also a clue about the wire and electric gate I'm not sure what to do with.
    hints, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post
    EDIT: OK, I've found the combination lock, but the clues provided are not giving me the right answer. I get the combination A13B4C2D, but it doesn't work. Can anyone point out to me what I'm doing wrong here?

Edit: Explanation if C goes after 4 the combination will become A13B4C2D. Rule 6 says "Half of the letters are immediately followed by a number". With that combination three letters are followed by numbers (A, B and C). The correct combination has only two letters (half of them) followed by numbers: A and C.
    Last edited by nickie; 15th Oct 2011 at 15:01. Reason: To confuse the issue

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    I've just started, but been everywhere in the opening area; there are two doors I can't open: upstairs, off the courtyard, and downstairs off the entry hall to the North. there's also a clue about the wire and electric gate I'm not sure what to do with.
    hints, please?
    If you've been to the armoury then you will have found something to deal with the electric wire in the room next to the kitchen. What you need will become available after dealing with that.

well.. I am sure stuck...
    I've been everywhere I can pick locks into or find keys... but now I got nowhere to go..
    how do you get thru those seals?

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji View Post
    well.. I am sure stuck...
    I've been everywhere I can pick locks into or find keys... but now I got nowhere to go..
    how do you get thru those seals?
    Some hints.

1. Have you found the 3 serpent rings to make the key for the triangular lock up the tower from the library.
    2. When you have done you will receive some help from a guiding hand.
    3. You'll be led to another part of the maze where you have to place an item.
    4. Have you found your way down a chimney.

Congrats on the release, Ali! Really looking forward to this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Edit: Explanation.
    Ah, now I get it! I read that "rule" wrong due to the wording. Let me try again...

Nice Fm. Really nice.
    A little bit of help, please. I got the code book, I figure out the combination, but I don't know where to use it. And there are some hieroglyphs somewhere and a closed door next by. A hint would be welcomed.

Yorad, you first need the three keys to unite them into the serpentile key. After that you need to get to the library. See what you can find there.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Well I THINK I explored everything caused ofcourse I can never be sure. But goddamn I've gotten to the cool tower in the library with the kinda useless rooftop area and the level-below weird place with countless useless rooms and a triangle shaped object that I must put something onto and there's 2 grates within those countless useless rooms and to the whole level entrance there's a code message on the floor. I ahve 2 code scrolls with me as well and no hints throughout the mission in general. I'd prefer the actual FM giving me a chance and give me a hint, but oh well... I'll just ask here what the hell do those codes say and how do I proceed. Cause I really wanna see more of this cute architecture presented.

Alright, finished with about 700 short of the maximum loot on Expert, and found 60% of the secrets.

Where to begin to review this FM? The architecture and usage of the architecture. Nothing wrong with the former here, save for the aforementioned "gaps" (see earlier post). The layout makes sense for the building itself, and I really liked the chapel area and the scaffolds. However, in the "usage" department, there were several occasions where I groaned because of how... "cheap" some things were, like the artificial barriers (not the ones put in place due to the size of the FM, but due to gameplay reasons) and having to run from one end of the map to the other to complete some objectives, with the all-too predictable came-out-of-nowhere-enemies slowing you down every step of the way. To make matters worse, you spawn a whole bunch of them, over the whole map. Makes retracing your steps a real pain.

On that last note... two times? Really? Isn't that a bit too much?

The only criticism that can be aimed at the level design are the mazes. I know you're good with these, and the first one isn't so bad (mainly there to confuse you, not hinder your progress) and you pull off a neat trick with that one, but the second one serves no purpose except as filler. Game padding. Having to deal with that one had me grumbling under my breath the whole time, especially as it designed to be as annoying as possible. At this point in the FM, I just want to get on with it, not be bothered by yet another hurdle in my path.

As for the plot and story? I felt that there's a serious lull in the middle here. I didn't even understand what was the point of this chapter in the overall story until the part where I lit the candle, and from there on it's just 100% exposition. It gets the job done, but I couldn't help but feel that it could all have been done better, especially since you have done better before.

Overall, I'd have to say that this is your weakest FM so far, and I was a little disappointed by it. That said, it isn't crap or anything like that, it's just... you can do better. I'd rate it as a low 7.

Of the secrets, all but one were of the usual "spot the loot in the hidden place" variety, the last one was one of those Easter Egg secrets that you do so nicely, the one with the camera. However, the camera never worked for me, and I "broke" the secret by opening it from the inside. (Oops!)

WHAT ..... ??????

Thor and Unkillable Cat: ??? I can't believe this! It must be a "Add to the Thief FanMission forums in 2008" thing.

Sorry, that was a joke ......
    I can't believe you made those remarks on this mission! If you use words as "cute architecture" .... DID you see the restauration area in the great cathedral, with all of these great Roman(?) paintings on these walls .... for example???

I guess you skipped those.

Sorry, but I have to step in here for the author of this mission!

If you stop to see the details and get the clues right ..... you can't be sure to state this remarks!!

As a betatester I got stuck at some points, for sure, but when I got the hang of this mission .... I thought and DO think it's a fabulous mission

Last week I played the OM's again and boy is THAT a difference with what some Taffers make for us!!! No offense meant.

Just play the game and enjoy!!!

Just letting you look through another pair of glasses.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    I can't believe you made those remarks on this mission! If you use words as "cute architecture" .... DID you see the restauration area in the great cathedral, with all of these great Roman(?) paintings on these walls .... for example???

I guess you skipped those.

Sorry, but I have to step in here for the author of this mission!

If you stop to see the details and get the clues right ..... you can't be sure to state this remarks!!
    Well that's a fun misunderstanding. In my book the word "cute" is more of a compliment. I really liked the architecture of this mission. The attention to the holding beams and the construction sites and the arcs were wonderful. Gave a nice feel for it. Altho now that I think of it I wonder how it would've looked as a non winter mission.

@Yorad: I suspect you have not been into the library yet. Go back to the torture room and climb the big crate.

@Thor: You are stuck because you missed something really obvious. That useless rooftop you are referring to isn't useless. There was a note telling you the head priest was on top of the tower working on the antenna. That is him there, and his key is on the desk in front of him. Use it to get to his room. You either missed the note or forgot about the note. There are clues for everything.

@Unkillable Cat:
    - The whole structure is floating in the air because there was simply no way I could create a believable surroundings and keep the ploy count below the legal level.

- When you go rub a monastery, you cannot expect everything to be placed for you conveniently. It is more likely that you'd have to go back and forth a few times. And the place is not that big.
    Did you make the same complain in Ominous Bequest every time you had to go down in the crypts?

- The testers and some other people found the three-phase AI a new and neat idea. You didn't like it. Can't please everyone.

- What "second" maze were you talking about? The one upstairs from where you use the hand? That is not a maze. It is a linear circular path with branching rooms housing pedestals. You can't get lost in it, it is linear. Especially since the side branches are never more than two rooms.

- There are no "hidden switch" or other usual secrets because I didn't think those monks would have created such places. And the easter egg didn't work for you because as you said you broke it.

Hi Ali, this is a mission of high quality you brought to us, im loving playing this one, im playing on normal mode, however im finding hard how to figure out the glyphs combination in the wooden beam in one of the church towers, by the way this church is nicely done, very beautifull , i also like the cloister, so do i need to figure out the glyphs puzzle in normal mode, if so whats the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    Hi Ali, this is a mission of high quality you brought to us, im loving playing this one, im playing on normal mode, however im finding hard how to figure out the glyphs combination in the wooden beam in one of the church towers, by the way this church is nicely done, very beautifull , i also the cloister, so do i need to figure out the glyphs puzzle in normal mode?
    Thanks Pedro. You'll get to the glyphs much later. For now concentrate on the codebook and the serpent keys. Check the spoiler I gave Yorad above.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Well that's a fun misunderstanding. In my book the word "cute" is more of a compliment. I really liked the architecture of this mission. The attention to the holding beams and the construction sites and the arcs were wonderful. Gave a nice feel for it. Altho now that I think of it I wonder how it would've looked as a non winter mission.
    I'm sorry, I read this as in: "cute ... as in a child's reply!
    Perhaps I just got it wrong! If so: I'm SORRY!

But why not post the reply as you now did as above, more positive, so I and perhaps more Taffers can understand the compliment ??!

Clearinghouse
    Great atmosphere, great sound, I thoroughly enjoyed this mission and I still trying to find all secrets and easter egg

I've gotten the Trinity of serpents and the Hand, now I'm trying to figure out what to do in the rooms with the gargoyles. Nothing I've picked up (yet) will go on the empty pillar. next step?

also, is there a dentist operating in this tower? the rooms are filled with a high, whining noise that is very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    I've gotten the Trinity of serpents and the Hand, now I'm trying to figure out what to do in the rooms with the gargoyles. Nothing I've picked up (yet) will go on the empty pillar. next step?

also, is there a dentist operating in this tower? the rooms are filled with a high, whining noise that is very annoying.
    Go back to the cloister and look at the roofs.

Awesome mission,but am stuck.I have put the candle by the fore farthers tomb but cant seem to do anything with the skeleton
    Still this is an amazing mission
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 16th Oct 2011 at 12:45. Reason: Please use spoiler cover!

Quote Originally Posted by trioptimumscapes View Post
    Awesome mission,but am stuck.I have put the candle by the fore farthers tomb but cant seem to do anything with the skeleton
    Still this is an amazing mission
    there is an item that can bring the dead back to life... do you have that yet?
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 16th Oct 2011 at 12:45.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast