TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: A Sorrowful Farewell (15/10/2011) updated to v1.01

Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd View Post
    Hm... not sure what to do next: I've put the gargoyle on the pedestal; the Monks have killed the Mechanists and are patrolling the premises; I have the dead Monk's key, some loot, three rope arrows, and four secrets. But I have no idea where to go next or what to do, and the objectives are not really any help.

Somebody, quick, tell me where to go! (No jokes, please.)

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Now you need to check out the areas that used to be blocked off with red fields.
    And if you can't remember where they were, read the mechanist weekly report again.

Ghost
    Huh, I think I must have missed a couple of coded documents...

I haven't found either the document discussing the Tomb of the Founders or the tomb itself.

Apparently there was another document discussing the use of the gargoyle; I never found that scroll, but I did find the gargroyle and used it to take down the seals, so that coded scroll is probably moot (if it even exists).

Can someone point me in the right direction? I do have the candle.

Thanks!

Dafydd

Stuck in monk's crypt like Shadows

Hi Haplo
    Just like Shadows I get stuck in Valfar's grave when I try to go back in time. Am I missing some scripts? Great mission though! Thanks

Huh, I think I must have missed a couple of coded documents...

I haven't found either the document discussing the Tomb of the Founders or the tomb itself.

Apparently there was another document discussing the use of the gargoyle; I never found that scroll, but I did find the gargroyle and used it to take down the seals, so that coded scroll is probably moot (if it even exists).

Can someone point me in the right direction? I do have the candle.

Thanks!

Dafydd
    Just go to the tomb and use the candle on the plate. The hint for this was in the mission start-up screen.
    The tomb is next to the graveyard, close to the building with the broken staircase.

Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    Hi Haplo
    Just like Shadows I get stuck in Valfar's grave when I try to go back in time. Am I missing some scripts? Great mission though! Thanks
    Check PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    Let's start by making sure it has been installed properly. Install the original Thief 2, close DarkLoader, follow the instructions for "Clean up of files" here http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202
    Then install the mission again and give it another try.

I'm going to re-download it and try it WITHOUT the Thief Enhancement Pack to see if that is the problem.

EDIT - yep that fixed it ! It looks beautiful ! Thanks ! Like the Assassin's Creed scaffolding.

Still plenty of annoying crashes in those massive open areas near the aforementioned scaffold, I hope you will be able to optimize it to remove these game breaking problems.
    I say game breaking because I quicksaved in the outside area so immediately the game crashes a micro second after loading so that's game over for me, i'm not starting over again.

And the Gas Arrows have been assigned to the wrong Archetype, i'd be pissed if I didn't have infinite items, or a quick save and had just wasted my 1 single Gas Arrow because you had changed the accepted convention that Gas Arrows fly straight and not arc-ed.

The monk has a 3 dimensional nose !! Amazing ! Whomever did that model is a genius !
    Last edited by malau; 23rd Oct 2011 at 04:58.

Ghost
    Sigh. I don't like to quibble -- the mission is ambitous and beautiful -- but again and again and again, I accomplish something... and then I'm left standing around like an idiot with no idea what to do next.

All right, so I placed the candle, frobbed it a second time, and the tomb opened. Now what? I'm sitting here with a lit candle and a frobbable skelly. I have no readable, nothing to tell me why I'm sitting here with a frobbable skelly or what I'm suppose to do with it.

I happen to remember from reading this mission thread that I'm suppose to give Mr. Bones something called the Crystal of Life, or the Living Crystal, or somesuch; but I have no idea where to hunt for such a thing; and as I said, the only reason I even know the name is from reading the thread on Through the Looking Glass.

And the only reason I have the candle is because I read about it here, too.

Where are the readables? How is a player without access to this website suppose to know what to do next? I think there should have been at least one more pass through beta testing to ensure that players couldn't get so far as I have without having read what need reading, therefore having some kind of a roadmap. I really feel like a doofus having to ask again and again, "What do I do next? Where do I go from here?"

I know the well is locked -- because I read it here. I know about the Easter egg -- because I read it here. I know I'll end up going back in time -- because I read it here. Story, story, story, guys; you have to tell the effing story! When you mission designers design missions, you have to give the players the clues necessary to lead them along from plot point to plot point... or else we just sit around feeling dumb.

Yeesh.

Can somebody please point me to the readable that explains all this, so I know firsthand, without reading TTLG, what I'm supposed to do? I have played about three hours of game time, been all over the map, solved several puzzles, yet I never ran across whatever scroll or book or plaque that sets me on the right path from here.

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 23rd Oct 2011 at 16:23.

I must admit I felt like I didn't know what (and how) to do at times in this mission. But at the same time there were readables some kinda hinted at what you needed to do, yet for some reason I found it difficult working out how to do it. I think the mission was perhaps designed more like a sherlock holmes type puzzle, where you have to work out your own theory on what's going on and see if your thinking is correct or not, at least that's what I found myself doing, not sure if i was on the right path.

Saying that i eventually completed the mission. This mission remains me of another mission that is similar to this one, where you have to do a lot more on your own. Can't think of the mission title offhand, but in it you play a detective in a city where you get sent on a case. There's also a gun in the mission, one shot only. The first time i played it, i didn't know what on earth to do, but the next time around i completed it fairly easily.

Ghost
    Meanwhile, back on the ranch, I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do with a frobbable skeleton.

Dafydd

Quote Originally Posted by malau View Post
    And the Gas Arrows have been assigned to the wrong Archetype, i'd be pissed if I didn't have infinite items, or a quick save and had just wasted my 1 single Gas Arrow because you had changed the accepted convention that Gas Arrows fly straight and not arc-ed.

The monk has a 3 dimensional nose !! Amazing ! Whomever did that model is a genius !
    I did not touch the gas arrow properties. And I still don't know why it crashes so much for you. The ploy count never reaches the crashing point. I think you are running out of palettes, due to leftover objects in your Thief directory. That is why I asked you to do a clean up.

And the monk was done by PinkDot.

Sigh. I don't like to quibble -- the mission is ambitous and beautiful -- but again and again and again, I accomplish something... and then I'm left standing around like an idiot with no idea what to do next.

All right, so I placed the candle, frobbed it a second time, and the tomb opened. Now what? I'm sitting here with a lit candle and a frobbable skelly. I have no readable, nothing to tell me why I'm sitting here with a frobbable skelly or what I'm suppose to do with it.

I happen to remember from reading this mission thread that I'm suppose to give Mr. Bones something called the Crystal of Life, or the Living Crystal, or somesuch; but I have no idea where to hunt for such a thing; and as I said, the only reason I even know the name is from reading the thread on Through the Looking Glass.

And the only reason I have the candle is because I read about it here, too.

Where are the readables? How is a player without access to this website suppose to know what to do next? I think there should have been at least one more pass through beta testing to ensure that players couldn't get so far as I have without having read what need reading, therefore having some kind of a roadmap. I really feel like a doofus having to ask again and again, "What do I do next? Where do I go from here?"

I know the well is locked -- because I read it here. I know about the Easter egg -- because I read it here. I know I'll end up going back in time -- because I read it here. Story, story, story, guys; you have to tell the effing story! When you mission designers design missions, you have to give the players the clues necessary to lead them along from plot point to plot point... or else we just sit around feeling dumb.

Yeesh.

Can somebody please point me to the readable that explains all this, so I know firsthand, without reading TTLG, what I'm supposed to do? I have played about three hours of game time, been all over the map, solved several puzzles, yet I never ran across whatever scroll ro book or placque that sets me on the right path from here.

Thanks,

Dafydd
    The reason why you get stuck so often is because you read things but without paying attention. Then you move on without thinking what that text was trying to tell you.

I remember you inquired about rope arrows. They were in a box under the stairs, not behind a secret door. You asked about them without having explored the level properly first.
    You didn't know where the tomb of the forefather was. Its building is a huge structure just across from the entrance to the big chapel. I have no idea how you could have missed it. And there is a plaque next to its entrance, in plain view, saying its name. You can not blame lack of clues if you miss a big room in a very accessible part of the map.

If you have no idea where to hunt the life crystal is because you didn't pay attention to the room in which you found note from a monk telling he had invented them (or you never found that room? If so, it means you are complaining without having explored the mission properly). Next to that note there is a locked chest. You can not claim there were not enough hints about the whereabouts of the life crystal. Go back there and use the dead monk's key. That room is in the cloister. The weekly report clearly said that there were TWO sealed rooms in the cloister. Did you make sure you had found BOTH?
    I don't see how an extra round of beta testing would've helped you explore the level properly before complaining about the lack of hints, or helped you remember a locked chest with a clear clue next to it.

No sir, the clues are in abundance, you just have to pay attention to your surroundings and what you read instead of rushing around.
    Last edited by Haplo; 23rd Oct 2011 at 07:26. Reason: Typo

I was wondering why the properties of the fire and gas arrows have been changed. Usually when fired, they keep going in a straight line, but now they act like broadhead or water arrows, where gravity pulls them down. This is not their 'usual/normal' properties.

Just wondering why this is... not that i found it a problem as such but curious.

Every no and then a lurker must step out from the shadows and put down a few lines... Im playing this great mission second time, now on expert. The next thing to do is put the artifact in its place and release the guardians again (Im really scared of them ).

Ive been searching everywhere for more loot and there is one thing I cant figure out: In the temporary chapel, there is a scroll in the altar that says that the row of pews in the middle should be removed. An obvious hint, but I havent found anything there??

There's a purse on one of the rear pews. Or there was.

There's a lootlist up at thiefmissions.com.

(I see I wasn't the only one having trouble with the forum today.)

Ghost
    Haplo, I think I've just lost all interest in finishing this mission. Thanks anyway.

Dafydd

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    There's a purse on one of the rear pews. Or there was.

There's a lootlist up at thiefmissions.com.

(I see I wasn't the only one having trouble with the forum today.)
    So if the purse is all Ive found it... thanks
    Also a hint for the Easter egg would be nice...

Hello All,

Great FM Haplo, But i have some problem, I`m standing at the stairs with the glyphs and the hatch won`t open?
    I`ve got the contraption object tick off.

Anyone has a idea??

Greetzz T-Linkz

T-Linkz : If you smashed any of the old barrels up in the attic where you have to do the timed run you may have broken the mission like I did!!

Quote Originally Posted by pwl View Post
    T-Linkz : If you smashed any of the old barrels up in the attic where you have to do the timed run you may have broken the mission like I did!!
    Thanks, i read this before so i didn`t smashed them.

Greetzz T-Linkz

Quote Originally Posted by Timhotep View Post
    Also a hint for the Easter egg would be nice...
    Hint 'Use' the hand after you've used the well key.

Spoiler The hand will point to a glyph on a post - have a look.

@ T-Linkz. If you didn't beat up some old barrels, then I can only suggest you double-check the glyphs you're trying.

Haplo, I think I've just lost all interest in finishing this mission. Thanks anyway.

Dafydd
    It is certainly your decision, but no need to get sore about it. All I did was to tell you (and in a much milder tone than your original post) that you were unfairly complaining about the mission when you hadn't even explored it properly and had missed a couple of obvious rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by malau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    I was wondering why the properties of the fire and gas arrows have been changed. Usually when fired, they keep going in a straight line, but now they act like broadhead or water arrows, where gravity pulls them down. This is not their 'usual/normal' properties.

Just wondering why this is... not that i found it a problem as such but curious.
    I just went back and checked, and you guys are right. However I did not change any of the arrows properties; I must have inherited the gamesys like that. I'll compare it to the original gamesys.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Linkz View Post
    Thanks, i read this before so i didn`t smashed them.

Greetzz T-Linkz
    The barrel bug does not exist in v1.01, and you haven't smashed them anyway. Please make sure the "get this machine to work" objective is actually ticked off; and as Nickie said please make sure you are pressing the correct glyphs. If still no luck then let me know and I will take a look at your save game.
    Last edited by Haplo; 23rd Oct 2011 at 17:43. Reason: Typo again!

Thanks Again, I don`t know how i did it, But i pushed the glyphs again 4 and i pushed another one and the hatched openend???
    Anyway, i completed this Masterpiece of work

I`m playing Thief now for over 6 years and i have about 637 FM`s on my HD, But i must say.....This game still rocks!
    And Credits go to All you FM-Creators.
    You made a great , no..Fantastic Mission Haplo. Thank you very much.

Greetzz T-Linkz

Heyo, Haplo!

Though you may not have fully made this mission, you did a good job dovetailing it all into one nice mission for the fall season (A winter-themed FM )

Also, it's very funny how the banner in that one room covering the window is simply in place, because on my system it seems that the trees outside are clipping due to how the brushes are rendered. Is this at all what you intended? Because the diary is a great way to hide that fact, if so

UPDATE: Yet another thing I gotta nitpick on, that as best as you did to block access to it for "Brother PinkDot", the footpath along the monastery wall is easily accessible if you jump in such a way, as to be able to climb onto the roof of the red barrier crypt. Just thought I'd mention that, as I didn't notice any scene complexity problems, looking out at the map.
    Last edited by Albert; 23rd Oct 2011 at 21:50.

Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by Haplo
    All I did was to tell you (and in a much milder tone than your original post) that you were unfairly complaining about the mission when you hadn't even explored it properly and had missed a couple of obvious rooms.
    You may very well be right. I couldn't possibly comment.

Dafydd

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    I just went back and checked, and you guys are right. However I did not change any of the arrows properties; I must have inherited the gamesys like that. I'll compare it to the original gamesys.
    It must be my fault - I did play with arrow properties while ago, but I couldn't remember about that after all that many years. Sorry for that folks - ideally such gameplay changes should have been mentioned in the readme.txt...

---
    As for the mission itself - Haplo, you did a great job (which you already know, I believe... ). I was surprised many times and really enjoyed it. Not to mention, that you dragged me back to Thief after so long time. And who knows, maybe for longer than just that one mission...

Thanks!

Yeah, overall a great mission. I just gotta finish it. I stopped because I got annoyed trying to fight the monk-demons with my touchpad... :P

You may very well be right. I couldn't possibly comment.

Dafydd
    Alright. I hope you will enjoy my future missions more.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast