TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910152025 ... LastLast

Thread: GTA V

Still Subjective
    It's really looking lovely if these are in-game shots.

Is this really for this gen of consoles though? That's some serious work they've done if it is.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hard to tell with screenshots, it's likely they've been prettied up a lot, or have been snapped before they've started optimizing the engine to run on consoles. I wouldn't start getting impressed by graphics yet. What I will start getting impressed by is the inclusion of biplanes, parachutes and dirtbikes racing up moutain roads! Vrooom!

Ooooooh god I wanna play this now. It'll probably be until May-ish, next year, before it gets released though.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Bullshots, obviously. No current gen consoles can produce visuals as clean and smooth as those.

It will be a current gen release too, as a next gen console with the scale and ambition that GTA5 purportedly has would be far too expensive to be justified so early into a console's life cycle. The current gen consoles have the safety net of established, large userbases.

I could imagine that the final graphics will look close to those, though, minus anti-aliasing and viewing distance. Early Red Dead Redemption shots looked similar, and while the final game was not as amazing as the screens we'd seen it still looked pretty damn nice.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Actually it will look that nice.*

*on PC with FXAA or injected SMAA, AF and maybe DX11 post-processing effects.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    would be far too expensive to be justified so early into a console's life cycle.
    But it'd be a big selling point. I suppose they need a current gen version though, yeah.

I'm just finishing up GTAIV (finally!).

Is the DLC worth it?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    For all intents and purpouses I hear it is -- it's not some rinky-dink horse armor but when you combine the two DLC they're worth a whole 2nd game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh yeah the DLC is great. Gay Tony brings back the over-the-top mission design of earlier GTAs. And Lost and Damned is just a really well crafted story with some great characters and a bunch of new cool bikes.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Episodes from Liberty City is a non-shit version of GTA4, unlike the vanilla game.

Yeh definitely get the 2 episodes, I actually played them first before vanilla gta4, much better imo.

I liked GTA IV a lot, so YMMV, but I thought that both of the episodes were very strong. Personally I preferred The Lost and Damned for its tone and cast of characters; Gay Tony felt more like revisiting old (though very enjoyable) territory. Still, both are worth it, not least because the plot of the main game and the episodes intertwine.

Still Subjective
    I'm just on the last mission of vanilla GTAIV now so well btw going on PAN to see what the deal is.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Are you (or is anyone else) playing it on IENhancer (or whatever that mod is called)? If so, a) how does it run, b) how does it look with the standard assets and c) does it look consistently good? I've seen a number of shots and videos that looked garish rather than anything else, but that may have been the settings.

Still Subjective
    Playing on PS3.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I tried to install one of those graphical updates but couldn't get it working because the mod didn't work with the latest version of GTA4. And since I had the game on Steam the latest version of the game is the only version you can have since it auto-updates. I did install and use the first person and slo-mo mods though, which were a blast to play with and defenitely made the game feel fresh even though I'd already played through it on the 360.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Game Informer scans.

The gist of it:-
    • Three protagonists with their own story arcs. You can switch between them almost at any time. There's unique abilities to each character and activities to which they have access.
    • The world is bigger than GTA4, RDR and San Andreas combined.
    • The dynamic encounters that you came across in RDR have been imported into GTA5.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    The world is bigger than GTA4, RDR and San Andreas
    wot?

That's... ridiculous.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    That's gotta be practically half the actual state of California, in terms of square miles...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah yeah. The size of the gameworld is insane, but by this point I'd be more surprised if R* didn't go above and beyond our expectations. I rarely buy games at full price, but their open-world games are one of the few instances where full price feels like a bargain. The game could contain only the gamearea and a dirtbike and it would be worth it.

I don't for one second believe that the game world will be that big in terms of virtual real estate - I very much doubt they can keep up the level of detail players expect these days for that large a world. Even if it's 'just' the size of San Andreas, though, with the detailling of one of their more recent games, I'll be more than happy.

Just to get an idea, how does it compare to Skyrim? San Andreas I never got past the first city and haven't played the others to get an idea...

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I don't for one second believe that the game world will be that big in terms of virtual real estate - I very much doubt they can keep up the level of detail players expect these days for that large a world. Even if it's 'just' the size of San Andreas, though, with the detailling of one of their more recent games, I'll be more than happy.
    If it's bigger and detailed enough that gives a lot more space for DLC, no?

The issue with the size & detail is that GTA4 was like 14 GB. If GTA5 is going to be even bigger than that, then it's getting into territory where of course I can still clear stuff off to play it, but it's hard to keep it on my HD longterm because that's a lot of space to cut off, and I'll have to give other games the axe to keep it. Most other games coming out these days are half the size (so I could have 2 of them for the price of its 1). ArmA2 was pretty big and detailed, and it's only 8 GB.

But the whole advantage of GTA games is they're so sandbox, they're made to keep for longterm on your HD so you can just cruise around and play in the world, or play with mods. I can do that with GTA:SA just fine because it's only 4.5 GB.

But maybe in a few years (laptop) harddrives will be big enough to hold as much as you could want and you won't have to pick between which classic games to keep & cut. I think ~2TB would probably do it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Just to get an idea, how does it compare to Skyrim? San Andreas I never got past the first city and haven't played the others to get an idea...
    Man, that is a good question. Maybe the easiest way to compare would be to get on a horse and ride from one end of RDR's world to the other, then do the same in Skyrim.

Luckily, I happen to have a lot of free time on my hands today.

Edit:
    Ok, I'm in RDR, started with my save from the end where all the areas are unlocked, though I'm guessing my horse is also an above-average horse. I've decided I'm going to make my way from Cochinay, up in the mountains, down to the plains just south of Escalera. Those 2 points are just about as far from eachother as you'd find in this game.

Later:
    I'm now standing in the middle of the camp up in Cochinay. Gonna try to stick to using the roads as much as I can on my way down, though I may take shortcuts in a few places. Hope I don't get bothered by bears, mountainlions and bandits too much on the way down. I got a watch, and a timer in front of me on the table. Here I go.

Time: 12 minutes, 48 seconds. Headed straight southwards first, crossed the border at the eastern-most train bridge, and then did the long gallop west across Mexico. My horse was seriously some kind of superhorse though, whose stamina replenished almost right away meaning I could gallop almost the entire way down.

Gonna shower, eat breakfast and maybe watch some Knight Rider reruns right now. Will do Skyrim later!

Update:
    Ok, in Skyrim now, by Crystaldrift Cave just south of Riften. Bought a horse in Riften and I'm gonna ride to the Thalmor Embassy just north of Solitude, via the dragonbridge. It seems that since I last played the game horseback archery has been patched in. Neat. Ok here I go.

Time:23:20. Though not only was the terrain in Skyrim more difficult to navigate(had to check my map several times)' my horse was also slower. Overall I'd say Skyrim is slightly bigger though.

Conclusion: So what does all of this mean for GTA V? I have no idea! Though if the hype about the size is true I'd guess that if you were driving an average car it might take you about 30-40min to cross the gameworld in it. Which sounds pretty swell. Hope that turns out to be true.
    Last edited by henke; 10th Nov 2012 at 07:27.

henke - better investigative journalism than the BBC!

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910152025 ... LastLast