TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328 ... LastLast

Thread: GTA V

verbose douchebag
    This little Kotaku piece has made me curious.

" past a tour bus that the Rockstar guys said would have taken Michael on a tour of the homes of the game's sleazy celebrities."
    ok I'm sold.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Sounds like they're doing exactly what I was hoping they'd do. With GTA IV they updated the engine, physics, core gameplay, and added robust multiplayer on top. It was quite restrained as far as GTA games goes. With this one they're reintroducing all the stuff they took out since GTA:SA, and then adding some more stuff on top.

I wonder if they're still gonna make a VC game using the same engine.

All I've heard in the rumor mill is keep your eyes on the blimp. Something's gonna go down.

Still Subjective
    Well I was just about to say I've got sandbox game fatigue and they go and give us these details that sound fab. Based around setting up and carrying out heists? Count me in.

verbose douchebag
    It all sounds so very promising. Will be released around the time I'm due to hand in my thesis too

It's about time I chime in here. This is what I want to play. GTA IV bored me to tears. I just bought the glitchy mess that is the PSN release of Vice City Stories, and it is excellent, but really poorly emulated. I get frequent hard locks and artifacts. I have played San Andreas so much it isn't fun anymore.

I am really glad to see the side activities bumped up again and the 3-way characterization. 3.5 times the size of Red Dead? Wow...

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Thank God my 80gig PS3 is fully backwards compatible, wheee!
    You're VERY lucky that it's even still running at this stage. Early gen PS3s had a fairly high failure rate (it just wasn't as widely talked about as it was with 360).

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Too bad about VCS -- but thanks for taking that bullet for me. Now I know to stick to my disc copy.

El Shagmeister

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    You're VERY lucky that it's even still running at this stage. Early gen PS3s had a fairly high failure rate (it just wasn't as widely talked about as it was with 360).
    Well, luck seems to be double all around. My 80gig PS3 is also running fine

Backwards compatibility indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Too bad about VCS -- but thanks for taking that bullet for me. Now I know to stick to my disc copy.
    Oh, man, dethtoll. If ever a game suffered for not having checkpoint and/or manual saves, it's this. It locks the PS3 up at least twice an hour, and the missions are tough as nails. Jen and I have each lost an hour of progress 3 times.

The odd thing: I have San Andreas, GTA 3, and Vice City all from PSN and they are flawless.

Still Subjective
    Re-download?

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I just went in and tried that (delete, redownload and reinstall) and it acts the same.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

First gameplay footage. It truly looks like the spiritual successor to San Andreas, a shame that we had to wait an entire console generation to finally see it.

I'm going to be honest, I am genuinely surprised Rockstar didn't do much with the GTA4 era. There were no less than five GTA3-era games, 6 if you count the execrable GBA game. The GTA4-era game had... GTA4, two expansions and Chinatown Wars.

Though I suppose GTA5 is set in the same continuity as 4...

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Honestly GTA4 felt like one of those generational transitionary games that you got when a PS1 franchise first saw its debut on PS2. They started from scratch on the new hardware platform and the games had nowhere near the amount of content and features that the late gen PS1 franchise entries had. (Eg annual sports franchise games, Tony Hawk's, WWE Smackdown, The Sims generational product cycles, etc)

Except here you didn't see the gradual, incremental "regrowth" since there's been so few GTA games for the 7th gen consoles. GTA4 near the start of the cycle and finally GTA5 at the VERY end.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 9th Jul 2013 at 18:21.

Level 10,000 achieved
    THIS WILL BE THE BEST GAME THAT ANYONE EVER HAS EVER PLAYED ANYWHERE EVER OF ALL TIME

OF ALL TIME

THINGS IN THIS VIDEO THAT GAVE MY EYEBALLS EYEBALL-BONERS:

GRAPHICS!

DIVING!

BIG MOUNTAIN!

BMX-BIKE!

SWITCHING CHARACTER!

AMERICAS MOST WANTED TV COP CHASES!

HUNTING!

TOUR DE FRANCE!

TENNIS!

DEFORMABLE SCENERY!

WITTY ONE-LINERS ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY (LOL HOLLYWOOD AM I RITE)

LOOK AT HOW FAST THAT CAR GOES!

U CAN BUY STOCKS!

U CAN BUY STOCKS PEOPLE

Whenever a new GTA comes out I pick it up and I am hooked for weeks. I only exit the game because I have to. I have to go to work, sleep, see people, eat. But this one? This new one? People, this might be the one I don't come back from. I'm staying in San Andreas this time.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    People, this might be the one I don't come back from. I'm staying in San Andreas this time.
    oh no, who will then buy all of the heavily critically mauled games during steam sales and then post about how they weirdly enjoyed them

I'm with henke on this one.

Although he forgot one thing: YOGA!

I'm undecided: should I get it pretty much immediately (pending reviews) on PS3, or should I wait for the inevitable PC port? I've got such a huge backlog of games, it's not like I *need* to have the game ASAP - but every now and then it's fun to get caught up in the initial excitement, rather than reading all the reactions from a comfortable distance.

I'm waiting for the PC port, personally. Three reasons -- I like adding my own music, my hardware should be able to make the most of the game's features, and modding. Nothing major, just, like for GTA4 I use a mod that modifies foot and vehicle traffic to be more realistic, like Broker is almost deserted at night.

I imagine that if I get the PS3 version, I'd still get the PC one at some point down the road (probably once it's come down in price). I've enjoyed most Rockstar games enough to play them several times. Anyway, we'll see.

verbose douchebag
    I'm pretty sure Dethtoll just plays the whole game listening to The Carpenters. I'll be waiting for it to be on a Steam sale, because no way am I stupid enough to buy a game that looks this good while I've got 4 months left to finish a PhD.

Russian Circles, actually.

I'll go on record admitting it looks cool as hell to me.

TBH I like playing what I'd call ambient games like golf or motorcycle racing, where you just jump in and do it for a bit, and this looks like it's going to be the ur-game for that.

The multi-player switching is one of those mechanics I've (& probably most people have) thought about every now and then would be interesting, but you hardly ever see it pulled off in a game, and even then it's like Zac McKraken or some game where switching characters doesn't actually do much except give you a different inventory.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328 ... LastLast