TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thief 4 Storyboard Art

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    I was wondering how long the hardly-necessary "Voice of Reason" would show up and who's voice it would be. I'm not surprised. Circle complete.
    Who are you even talking to? Do you even have a focal point for your sardonic gibberish anymore?

i am sighing so hard right now, you guys

They're just rough sketches. As usual, you're reading way, way too much into the art.

It looks cool. Maybe this means they'll be using the same style for their cutscenes as TDP and TMA did.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsmith View Post

It looks cool. Maybe this means they'll be using the same style for their cutscenes as TDP and TMA did.
    Cool? What are you drinking? Send me a case.

jtr7
    They're just rough sketches. As usual, you're reading way, way too much into the art.

Much appreciated, Boxy!

There are still a couple of the usual parroting party-crashers coming to keep bumping the thread. Nothing like a flock of Chuckling Macaw-hahas to raise the spirits!
    Last edited by jtr7; 27th Oct 2011 at 01:18.

I don't want to read too much into this, but I think the concept of that room there is pretty neat in general. Seems like something that one could find in the City. Like the widow's mansion, I can picture it being a strange house full of oddities.

The steam coming out of the safe, I dunno man. Unless there's dinosaur DNA in there it seems a little over the top :P

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephthys View Post
    The steam coming out of the safe, I dunno man. Unless there's dinosaur DNA in there it seems a little over the top :P
    Unless it's some kind of new steampunked out beyond all necessary measures and totally overly complicated to the utmost extremes supra-secure safe from an alternate Victorian era reality, I'd say that looks more like a boiler.

But whatever. I'm with you. If it has dinosaur DNA in there, then it's all good.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    It's also a little hard to believe that someone working for EM (whether as an employee or contractor) would so carelessly put unreleased Thief 4 materials out on the web for anyone to find - I have to think this was intentionally leaked for the fan community or just for PR in general. Of course, the blog is completely gone now, quite predictable.
    But the thread on the official forums was deleted. I don't know much about how EIDOS forums are moderated, but if it was fake I'd assume someone from up top would just say so and maybe locked it.

Outright deletion is pretty damning.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    But the thread on the official forums was deleted. I don't know much about how EIDOS forums are moderated, but if it was fake I'd assume someone from up top would just say so and maybe locked it.

Outright deletion is pretty damning.
    I don't think Brethren were claiming it wasn't real... As you say, it must be, if Eidos are this quick to try and get it off the 'net! I think he was just wondering whether it was a 'deliberate' leak.

I can't really believe Eidos decided, "yeah, let's pretend some storyboards got out accidentally", but perhaps the concept artist deliberately put it up on his blog, knowing it would get taken down?

Or it could have just been a genuine accident. But you'd think he'd have been briefed not to display materials online without approval...hmm. Interesting.

I was probably too unclear with my last post. One accidental leak might happen, but unless they have totally confusing internal guidelines, how can it be that there are two or three "accidental" leaks during the last year?

Two or three? What was the content of the third and/or second? I only recall those extremely vague images on the QA people's monitors, and frankly, that wasn't much of a leak.

Much appreciated, Boxy!

You know, a few years back you seemed like a pleasant and helpful kinda guy. Now you're caustic and defensive as fuck all the time. Did something happen, man? Do you want to talk about it?

You know, a few years back you seemed like a pleasant and helpful kinda guy. Now you're caustic and defensive as fuck all the time. Did something happen, man? Do you want to talk about it?
    At length.

Whether we want to hear it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spandex View Post
    At length.

Whether we want to hear it or not.
    is that you Dethtoll?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spandex View Post
    I'm surprised everyone's jumping immediately to the 'that doesn't look like Garrett' conclusion. The moles, the baggy eyes, the dark nails... they could be indentifiers of Garrett as an old man ......
    If so, then that means as he grew older he also grew a new eye?

Moderator and Priest
    He's still got the scar underneath his right eye, Dia. It could just be the guy didn't sketch out the mechanical eye in detail for the storyboard.

...or if he is an old man, maybe he got a more natural looking replacement eye at some point. The way the shot focuses on his face, it could be drawing attention to just that. Who knows. :shrug:

jtr7
    What scar? I see vertical lines on both sides, more shadow on the left of the face, above and below around the eyes. Doesn't matter, anyway. Odd that a close-up like that wouldn't give a mech-eye emphasis, if that character has one, but then, everything but the bird cages, which got the most time spent on them, is rough. We're getting CGI cinematics, and nothing in this guy's demo reel for "high-quality photorealism" is animated well at all. Why's "Garrett" old?
    Last edited by jtr7; 27th Oct 2011 at 09:38.

Moderator and Priest
    What scar? I see vertical lines on both sides, more shadow on the left of the face, above and below around the eyes. Doesn't matter, anyway. Odd that a close-up like that wouldn't give a mech-eye emphasis, if that character has one...
    Like I said, who knows. Chances are good the guy wasn't too familiar with the source material, and maybe forgot to add it in.

Though the scar does seem fairly obvious to me, even if the eye looks perfectly normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    I don't think Brethren were claiming it wasn't real... As you say, it must be, if Eidos are this quick to try and get it off the 'net! I think he was just wondering whether it was a 'deliberate' leak.

I can't really believe Eidos decided, "yeah, let's pretend some storyboards got out accidentally", but perhaps the concept artist deliberately put it up on his blog, knowing it would get taken down?

Or it could have just been a genuine accident. But you'd think he'd have been briefed not to display materials online without approval...hmm. Interesting.
    Deliberate is what I meant, yep. I mean, playtesters sign non-disclosure agreements. I sure artists and other people who are far more involved in the project sign much lengthier and detailed versions. So you're gonna sign it, then just publicly post stuff that says "Thief 4" all over it, leaving yourself open to legal action? Just seems weird. Anyone who's ever signed an agreement with your employer (such as a non-compete, etc.) - tell me you occasionally just forget about it or it slips your mind. No way, you're always thinking about it, and are wary of breaking it, it's normally pretty serious stuff.

I should shut up now, I don't want to be one of the crazy conspiracy theorists. But it just seems odd.

Why would they do it? Maybe they'd want to see the reaction to a possible female protagonist? The pics are rather ambiguous though and don't really give anything away, so who knows.

I'm still having issues with the black fingernails.

Angry teenager eyes, assassin's hands with black nails ("IT'S MATTE POLISH SO THAT THEY DON'T REFLECT ANY LIGHT LOL!") and SECRET SMOKE denote a serious lack of taste. I hope they aren't too seriously representative of the art direction for Thief 4. If anything, a few of these storyboarded shots wouldn't look too out of place in a rustmonkey video.

a few pixels and the fans go wild!

chill out taffers, these are mere STORYBOARDS, which are very, very rough preliminary sketches for cutscenes. the details from the scene (scars, nails etc) don't really matter, its more about the camera angles and lightning.

also these are old, from 2010, so I'm pretty sure this is not the final version anymore.
    the characters here are a bit stylized, which is not a bad thing in video games, yet it could be just the artist's drawing style.

also remember that Thief 4 theme is NOT steampunk anymore, but Victorian, so it is sort of a reboot and Garrett still IS the main protagonist with slight re-design.
    Last edited by Dominus; 27th Oct 2011 at 19:55.

Every picture drained me more and more of all hope I have for Thi4f.
    14: the lord shall fight for you and ye shall hold your peace.

jtr7
    If they were truer to the older titles, Viki didn't give Garrett a scar, nor did anyone else involved with the eye removal and mech-replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by zachary1975 View Post
    It is depressing

Quote Originally Posted by zachary1975 View Post
    Based on what?
    To corroborate what Dominus said, the actual imagery in the storyboards isn't what the artist is trying to convey. It's lighting, gesture, atmosphere and composition. It's a shame the blog isn't up any longer, because you could look at some of the storyboards this same artist did for cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They look nothing like the final product. That's just his art style. With a likelihood bordering on certainty, Garrett will not look like Gollum. He's just exaggerating the posture in order to convey that the figure is sneaking.

They're so rough, in fact, that you can see on the second page, panels 2 and 3, that he literally just copied and pasted the same character model he drew once before.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
    a few pixels and the fans go wild!
    1,280,124 pixels.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast