TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 122

Thread: Thief 4 Storyboard Art

  1. #51
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2011
    Location: IN UR INTERNETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spandex View Post
    Based on what?
    To corroborate what Dominus said, the actual imagery in the storyboards isn't what the artist is trying to convey. It's lighting, gesture, atmosphere and composition. It's a shame the blog isn't up any longer, because you could look at some of the storyboards this same artist did for cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They look nothing like the final product. That's just his art style. With a likelihood bordering on certainty, Garrett will not look like Gollum. He's just exaggerating the posture in order to convey that the figure is sneaking.

    They're so rough, in fact, that you can see on the second page, panels 2 and 3, that he literally just copied and pasted the same character model he drew once before.
    lol so the act of drawing is not conveying anything according to you. Don't worry guys I'm just gunna draw a couple of cool ninja looking Garretts. But the act of me drawing Ninja Garrett doesn't mean that's how I the artist pictures Garrett because I just wanted to draw Garrett like a ninja cos' I felt like drawing Garrett like a ninja.

  2. #52
    the actual imagery in the storyboards isn't what the artist is trying to convey
    furthermore

    this same artist did for cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They look nothing like the final product
    this same artist did for cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They look nothing like the final product
    this same artist did for cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They look nothing like the final product
    this same artist did for cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They look nothing like the final product

  3. #53
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2009
    Location: Alaskaland
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spandex View Post
    Based on what?
    To corroborate what Dominus said, the actual imagery in the storyboards isn't what the artist is trying to convey. It's lighting, gesture, atmosphere and composition. It's a shame the blog isn't up any longer, because you could look at some of the storyboards this same artist did for cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They look nothing like the final product. That's just his art style. With a likelihood bordering on certainty, Garrett will not look like Gollum. He's just exaggerating the posture in order to convey that the figure is sneaking.

    They're so rough, in fact, that you can see on the second page, panels 2 and 3, that he literally just copied and pasted the same character model he drew once before.

    I agree on this. Concept art doesn't mean it's the finished product idea. It's more about setting a mood for a story rather than showing what it will actually look like. In that sense, I feel that just from looking at this, that they aren't going for flashy Assassin's Creed style gameplay, but that can't all be concluded from this very small portion of the project, if it is even valid at all. Who knows if this is even relative to what they are doing now.

  4. #54
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: not anymore :(
    Can we still all agree on the fact that this guy is a terrible artist?

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsmith View Post
    Lots of dumb words.
    Was it that hard to understand?

    Here's one of the storyboards the same artist did for a Deus Ex: Human Revolution cutscene (I guess I had remembered to save one):


    Notice how there's virtually no decoration in the office whatsoever? That's because it's the roughest of sketches. That's what storyboards are. What matters are the sharp shadows, the lighting, where characters are standing, and how the shot is framed. Does this look ANYTHING like what the cutscenes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution ultimately became? Of course not.

  6. #56
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2009
    Location: South Dakota, USA
    Personally, I'm more concerned that "Thi4f" is still officially spelled that way.

    I'm okay with the Victorian setting. It was going that direction anyway in Thief 2.

  7. #57
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2008
    Location: Sniffing your socks....
    All I know is.... Nice ass in that picture!

    (It may not be art, but I know what I like.)

  8. #58
    The word "Concept" is key here. This guy isn't the Lead Art Director for EM or anything, he came up with an idea. His "concept" my be rejected altogether. Ask anyone in advertising, agencies usually come up with multiple campaigns to win a client over - one is usually picked while the others are rejected outright and never see the light of day. I'm guessing this setup is similar. We have no idea if this will resemble Thief4 in any way.

  9. #59
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2009
    Location: Alaskaland
    Maybe someone will get some answers at the Open House. I'm sure they are dreading these very questions, but perhaps they'll be prepared to answer them.

  10. #60
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2011
    Location: IN UR INTERNETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephthys View Post
    I agree on this. Concept art doesn't mean it's the finished product idea. It's more about setting a mood for a story rather than showing what it will actually look like.
    Setting the mood for some sweet ass ninjas!

  11. #61
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2011
    Location: IN UR INTERNETS
    Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    Personally, I'm more concerned that "Thi4f" is still officially spelled that way.

    I'm okay with the Victorian setting. It was going that direction anyway in Thief 2.
    really? was it? Robots, semi-undead servants and Mechanist technology was Victorian?

  12. #62
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2006
    Location: Deutschland
    No, the skybox! Those stars were definitely Victorian.

    I hope you're as serious as I am.

  13. #63
    jtr7
    Guest
    Who's serious? I hope no one's serious. No one.

    NO ONE'S SERIOUS HERE!!







    histaria wut
























    NO ONE!

  14. #64
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Prostitutes and Pterodactyls
    I was totally serious.

    TOTALLY

  15. #65
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2005
    Location: Not Kansas
    I wuz but I'm not anymore.

  16. #66
    jtr7
    Guest
    In these threads, seriousness is equal to mock-worthy "hysteria". People who have no interest in the game can't wait to jump in and laugh at the "hysterical" seriousness of others who are "attacked" by "pixels" and "blurry images", etc., so then, the peanut gallery must have their lulz:


    WUT WUT



  17. #67
    Moderator
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Australia
    I wonder what the fan reaction might have been to the following concept art:


    Last edited by twisty; 29th Oct 2011 at 21:45.

  18. #68
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2011
    Location: IN UR INTERNETS
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I wonder what the fan reaction might have been to the following concept art:


    your argument is invalid. We had nothing in which to judge the original concept of Thief . Thi4f on the other hand... has three previous games to go by.

  19. #69
    Moderator
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Australia

    The point being that the final product differed significantly from the concept art. That fact is not unusual, however the art in concept pieces tends to look more similar in detail to the final product than what storyboarding does.

    Storyboarding serves a different purpose in that it is designed to conceptualise a moving scene rather than just an object or setting. To that end, it doesn't need to define an end state -- it is used as a tool to help the team visualise the scenes as part of the design phase.

  20. #70
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: Situation's changed, Tom.
    What twisty said. If this would have been the concept art for Thief 4 (Constantine being a new character then), this thread would have given just as many headache-giving, overanalyzing responses. I mean, jtr's "what the hell are these?" suggests he has never seen a human face before. It's concept art, people, calm down.

  21. #71
    jtr7
    Guest
    The arrows point at nothing. If you think I'm serious, you're too serious. I'm not serious.



    DAMN YOUR EYES!

    (Too late)

  22. #72
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: Situation's changed, Tom.
    Ugh, let's keep this on a case of bad reading on my part. Sorry man.

  23. #73
    Taking a break
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    The point being that the final product differed significantly from the concept art.
    Bugbeast is in the game. With legs, probably because the snake version would be a bitch to do(and I can't imagine it with the animation quality Thief got away with). Constantine is in the game. Viktoria is in the game and has long hair, wow.

    I don't know what WEWD! is. Looks like some kind of underwater thing?

  24. #74
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: Situation's changed, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Bugbeast is in the game. With legs, probably because the snake version would be a bitch to do(and I can't imagine it with the animation quality Thief got away with). Constantine is in the game. Viktoria is in the game and has long hair, wow.
    So, now Thief 4. There will be a thief in the game. There will be climbing into a building via a window in the game. There will be steampunk in the game. Well this doesn't sound so bad now, right?

  25. #75
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    Location: Full on Kevel's mom
    That room full of birds is the shit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •