TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief Reloaded Contest - Part Two! - Nov 1, 2011

Thief Reloaded Contest - Part Two! - Nov 1, 2011

Southquarter presents:

The Thief Reloaded Contest
    Part 2

Rules:

Create a new mission in Dromed using any existing Thief level as a base. This level could be either an official mission or a fan mission, but it must be a level that has been released to the public as a complete mission (no abandoned missions, please).

Change anything you want within the level, including but not limited to:

• AI
    • Textures
    • Objects
    • Sound
    • Objectives
    • Readables
    • Terrain

While there won't be any building restrictions, the intention of this contest is to take someone else's mission and give it an entirely different feel. This could be done by coming up with a completely new story, a total graphical makeover, a complete redesign in gameplay, or anything else interesting that you can think of.

Try to keep terrain additions/deletions/modifications to a minimum - the level should be somewhat recognizable as a pre-existing level. No official restrictions on this though.

Some Useful Files - get them at www.southquarter.com/downloads/reloaded2

• Unstripped versions of the T2 OMs - use these for editing instead of the ones in your Thief directory, which are incomplete. T1 versions can be found at The Circle and I believe on the install CD, Iím reasonably sure the same applies for Thief Gold missions.
    • Full Clean - a utility created by Yandros and Nameless Voice for the last Reloaded contest. These files will allow you to delete old data from .mis files, such as objectvies, loot, AI, books, etc. This will save a ton of time in cleaning up old missions.
    • TDS City Project - A recreation of The City from Deadly Shadows for T2. Would make for a nice base mission for this contest.

Important Dates:

• Missions must be submitted by March 1st, 2012.
    • There will be a status check February 1st to see if anyone needs an extension
    • The contest has been extended by one month, the new date for missions to be submitted by is:
      Monday, April 2, 2012

Update 4/2/12 - A couple of authors are close to finishing, so we have implemented a two week grace period for all entries for the contest. Authors will release their missions as they are completed by starting their own thread, so there won't be one big mission release thread where entries are released at the same time.

After the grace period is over, I'll post a summary of all the entries with instructions on how to vote.

Also...

• Entries can come from individuals or teams.
    • Missions from Thief 1 or 2 are OK as a base or finished mission.
    • Port overs are allowed (i.e. take Bafford's and port it into T2).
    • If you use a fan mission, you MUST get permission from the original author. I will be checking this.
    • You are allowed to use your own previously released fan missions as a base.

Voting:

Missions will be rated by players on the basis of:

1. Overall Originality - The amount of uniqueness and creativity used in the level transformation.
    2. Audio/visual enhancements.
    3. Story/plot/narrative quality.

Voting instructions will be provided when the missions are released.

Prizes to be determined, I'll steal something from somewhere (I know, I said that last time!).

Good luck to all!

For those interested in the results from the last contest, check the thread here.
    Last edited by Brethren; 2nd Apr 2012 at 09:52.

NewDark 64≥ Contest Winner
    Does it spoil the surprise to say what level we're redoing?
    In case everyone is choosing the same level to redo, now might be the best time to know.

Maybe a list of possible participants and the mission they've chosen as their starting point?

I digged out an old idea of mine for reloading a OM and I'm thinking it through again right now.

I'm thinking of doing Running Interference.
    I've got a pretty neat idea for it.

This quote from last years contest pretty much sums up what I thought after reading your post, Xorak:

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Ooooh boy, I'm doing the same thing!

I'd like to take a shot at this contest - I have an idea that's been rumbling upstairs for a while, I think I'll be using Trace The Courier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I'd like to take a shot at this contest - I have an idea that's been rumbling upstairs for a while, I think I'll be using Trace The Courier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros
    Oooh boy, I'm doing the same thing!
    Yes.

Looks like this is going to be a very interesting contest.

Hey, quick request for some of our multilingual taffers - can you spread the word on the contest to some of the other boards out there, such as Dark Fate, ttlg.de, etc.?

Are there any issues for contests of using content created by others, such as textures, objects, voice/music files, movies, etc.? Assuming permission is given and appropriate credit is given, of course.

Not at all.

However, there has been a Stock Resource Contest which only allowed standard T1/T2 materials if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, Yandros hosted the stock resources contest a few years back, you can see all the details at The Weary Taffer.

But just to be clear, this contest does not have any restrictions like that.

@PsymH - Thanks for getting the news out.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Hey, quick request for some of our multilingual taffers - can you spread the word on the contest to some of the other boards out there, such as Dark Fate, ttlg.de, etc.?
    http://darkfate.org/forum/index.php?topic=3792.0

Very fine! I'll do edit of Haunted Cathedral.

My plan of reloading the Rumford Manor is fixed by now. I've got a new story and started to add the required additional areas to the manor (e.g. a extended garden surrounding the entire house).

You've made a lot more progress than me, then. I've managed to remove 2/3 of the mission, slightly tweak the appearance of about 1/10 of the remaining area, and pretty much stalled there. Not that I don't have ideas, mind you! I've just been so caught up in object creation and brainstorming, I've barely done any actual building!

I've also been doing some landscaping to the Rumford Manor grounds.
    And I'd say I'm about 30% done overall in adding brushes to the level.

My mission progress has been unavoidably delayed for some very real life and very serious personal issues.

(damn you Skyrim)

(damn you Skyrim)
    Hehe, how good I understand you.

Here's a first impression of the manor's main building. The design is based on a previous attempt of reloading the manor, but I was not satisfied with the look so I trashed the mission and started all over again for the contest.

The interior remains almost the same as in the original version, appart from some minor changes and the additional floors on the main building (+2 floors), and the two wings of the building (+1 floor each).

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Wow Intruder, Bafford would be jealous ! Nice Work !

Firemage is back!!

Hello everybody,

It was a long time that I was absent because works, pot-pourris, school and other project that I share with other frenchplayer etc. But a day, my brother tell me that a new reloaded contest.
    I have think about it. I have done 3 missions not very perfect and sometimes horrible. I use the full complexy of dromed but I have always a bug to destroy all. but it was the past, now I'm ready to make one of my better fun mission for this contest. I have begun a little work about it with the "Thieves'guild".

So, you understand it: I accept this new challenge!

That's cool.
    That means there are six known missions being made, plus another builder that Yandros hinted at in the other thread.

Steffen, that really kicks ass.

The other author I hinted about is serious about making a mission for the contest, but unfortunately I'm gating the start of that work as I've yet to do my part. Hopefully this weekend and during the U.S. holiday next week I'll find time to do so.

You can also add me as a potential contributor myself. I began porting a T1 FM to T2 some time ago but didn't really know what to do with it. I still don't really, but if I figure out a story and find time to finish the architecture and add the story, I'll have a submission of my own.