TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Skyrim Mods and Discussion

Skyrim Mods and Discussion

I thought this would be the perfect time to create a thread dedicated to mods. I thought of posting in the first impressions thread but that's not really a good place seeing as it's a discussion thread.. So anyway, this thread is dedicated to posting links for mods that you might find useful to your fellow TTLGers.

I discovered this article with 10 mods discussed already. The no spiders mod may be of interest to those of you that can't stand spiders.

I'm not sure I want bears instead of spiders though.

is Best Pony
    How about a nice horse texture mod?

(Bwahaha.)

Guys can we have a mod that turns the Dragon in the intro into StarScream thx

Gonna spend some more time playing before hacking at the precious

I want to ride a dragon. Somebody make a mod that'll let me do that.

'kthnx.

also, using the tanning thing to make hide parachutes for basejumping.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I'm not sure I want bears instead of spiders though.
    Apparently it has been updated to mudcrabs now. Not as amusing but seems like a better model choice.

Witch king

I downloaded this http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12747
    because i much more like two handed swords to be elegant and so board as friggin mast of the galleon- like other two handed swords are in this game(well with exception of ebony, and orkish swords, but i didn`t like how they look)
    Aaaand i also very like this one- http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12539
    at first i thought "wow now fight.... it`s too damn fast" but...
    And now... this friggin witch king sword is too slow compared too ones, that was originally put in this game.
    Can anybody help me before i burst in flames, and delete this game to make some "room" for Risen 2? Well i`d like to end this stupid Skyrim even once, and to have some fun playing it, so: is it possible, some way to make this witch sword faster, or at least modify this mod, so it will do that?
    One word from me- i`m dumb as rock, when it comes to computers, so please help me- or at least use simple words, when you will try to explain something to me
    Much obliged
    And pardon my bad english

verbose douchebag
    I saw THIS and have decided to give it a spin. Am just at the texture optimisation stage and about to start tweaking the .ini.

I've got an intel quad coreQ8400 2.66 gHz cpu, 8 ghz of PC3200 ram and a 1gb nvidia GTX 460 gpu, so am using the recommended settings, plus erring on the side of caution and using some of the medium quality enhancements for the ones listed as FPS draining. I am not using all of the suggestions as there are some I don't like the look of (ambient seagulls for example - I'd find too much realism might take away from the fantasy feel).

Will give it a spin and report back as it does look like a very good way of massively upgrading the game quality without changing the game too much. It's been VERY labour intensive though, so I hope it will be worth it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Only 1GB on your vid card? Skyrim with High res texture mods will devour your VRAM. Expect framerate stutter and when saving, long freezes.

Taking a break
    If I were to mod the graphics, I'd boost grid to 7.
    Then I would boost it again to 9.

And only then, if I still had performance to spare, I'd bother with texture mods
    Last edited by Koki; 9th May 2012 at 13:13.

verbose douchebag
    OK well I had to basically do away with SSAO and transparency supersampling, plus I had to turn off the mipmap LOD bias, but other than that, it is running nice and smooth and looking fantastic.

Very good list of mods and tweaks and doesn't feel to different from vanilla, which is just what I was after.

[EDIT] Scratch that - started getting noticeable frame-rate stutter in open areas. Going to re-install and use ONLY the lower res packs this time and exclude some of the more FPS killing mods (high quality Winterhold college is gone as the slowdown there was pretty noticeable).

Koki - is there some way to do what you're saying?
    Last edited by faetal; 10th May 2012 at 04:26.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Categorized Favorites Menu
    This mod is brilliant, a perfect compliment to SkyUI.

Textures

congratulations , i love it , is there a link where i can download the skyrym textures ?
    or i can extract everything? from the files in the folders ? ..patience with me .i'm a little girl

On nexusmods there's a "Skyrim - Thief overhaul" wich makes sneaking harder, gives you waterarrows and ropearrows and other stuff. It's around here somewhere: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/searchresults/?cat=76

Ah, cool. Is this the one you're talking about?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19447

Yes that one is it. I also have the binocular vision mod for NPC installed. It makes sneaking a real challenge in some situations. And well known things like this will be prevented ^^

verbose douchebag
    I'm about to install Skyrim again and was wondering which are the essential mods?
    I don't want anything which changes the game too much, just have no idea what the MUST HAVES are at the moment.

Do you still need the script extender thing too?

Well, since I posted this thread the link in the OP has been updated. There are 25 mods you can look through in that article, and I'd recommend SkyUI if you hate Skyrim's default UI. Another mod that you may consider is the one that gives your companion a horse. I felt bad for Lydia (and, it's also a bit annoying having her trail behind on foot while you are on your horse) so I got the Horses for Followers mod.

verbose douchebag
    That article looks great - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Do you still need the script extender thing too?
    Yeah, you should use that.

SkyUI is the essential one. I like the Realistic Lighting mod. There's another one that fixes the annoying flickering shadow lines you sometimes see, but I can't recall it just now.

There are some good cosmetic ones, like one that fills the cities with heaps of dummy buildings so they look like much bigger cities, ones that give you houses to live in, one that gets rid of the load zones, and lots of texture and model upgrade ones. Not essential, but nice to look at -- although the vanilla game itself looks pretty great on its own for that matter.

verbose douchebag
    I got a bit carried away and used ALL THE MODS and now I get frame rate issues about 20% of the time. Whoops.
    I'll be uninstalling them all and then just re-adding the ones I feel were essential.

On another note, I'm positively dismayed to realise that no one has made a mod which replaces the "FUS RO DAH" of unrelenting force with the sound of a colossal sneeze. That needs to happen.

I don't have too many mods installed & still get a frame rate hit about that often. I added them sequentially (not all at once, but over successive playthrus), and I didn't have the framerate issue until I think the mod that gets rid of the shadow jaggies and lines, not the realistic lighting but the other lighting one, and that's the one hitting the framerate, from what I've read...

But it's also one that I really like, since I hate those jaggies. (It might also be that mod in combination with others too.) But the hit isn't too bad & not all the time... It'll knock down to like 20-30 (my impression), which is still playable compared to 10. I'm still debating the best tradeoffs to get the look I want and still good performance.

verbose douchebag
    The jaggy shadows can be fixed with .ini tweaks I think, but do cause stuttering in areas with a lot of NPCs, making towns a bit of a drag. I also have an ENB mod in use, which changes lighting effects and what not. I have ridiculously fast fibre optic internet at home now, so I may just wipe the directory and re-download Skyrim and then be a little more restrained with the mods.