TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED T2 FM: Finals at the Academy - v2.0 May 6 2012

There are other references to the Maze of Anharra and to where Aescha's Stairs are located.
    I am having difficulty finding Aescha's stairs. I have found the wisdom bell and I know what to do with it but I have no idea where these stairs are located. I am in the Special Collections room with the display cases. I can hear some spiders behind the crawl space with the crates inside but I have no idea if that's where I should go.

You need to complete the other objectives first. You can't get to that area until later on in the mission.

OK, I found the maze. This might be a mission ender right here. I HATE mazes. I mean I really can't stand them and this one goes on and on and on. I might just have to stop right there on this one.

It isn't as difficult when you use the map. You wouldn't want to miss out the baby part.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

I'm no fan of mazes myself, but actually, it's one of the best mazes I've seen in a Thief mission, very logically designed. And as Gloria said, if you use the map, it's not particularly difficult.

Thank you. Perhaps you already figured out that I am no fan of most mazes in video games, and that I tried to do everything I could think of to make traversing the maze a series of opportunities for game play rather than just am obstacle to overcome: "Damn! another blasted maze to get through before I can have fun again ... " I'm not convinced that I succeeded to the degree I wanted to. There are still too many stretches in the maze where there is little to do or avoid. But I was up against DromEd's object and terrain brush limits and had to omit some stuff that I wanted to fill those stretches with. Oh well. Life is full of compromises.

Did anyone figure out that the moths will lead you through the maze?

Did anyone test my warning about not harming them? Heh heh heh.

Oddly enough, I found the maze to be fairly simple and rather fun. I managed to get to the end really early on, but turned back because a huge chunk of the maze map was blank and I thought "Now what kind of thief would I be if I didn't explore the rest?"

The riddles for the spells on the other hand, I hated. .but that's just 'cause I hate riddles in general for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    There are still too many stretches in the maze where there is little to do or avoid. But I was up against DromEd's object and terrain brush limits and had to omit some stuff that I wanted to fill those stretches with.
    Yes, some corridors were a bit long and empty, but it did not bother me much.

[Did anyone figure out that the moths will lead you through the maze?
    I did not even think they would. On the other hand, I was often interrupted by the other inhabitants of the maze. Would have taken a lot of time to follow the moths. Anyway, I managed to do the maze thing with some looks at the map and did not run into any problems (except for these inhabitants).

Did anyone test my warning about not harming them? Heh heh heh.
    Yes. But I saved the game first.

Actually, it was not easy to hit them with an arrow.

I got through the first part of the maze when I reached the center room where two ghost like guards were walking around and a key was in a locked box next to a throne like chair. At that point I was like, ok that wasn't too bad. Then I went up the stairs on the other side and found ANOTHER MAZE! AHHHHH.... At that point, I just lost interest in continuing. I'm not sure why I hate mazes so much but I do. If I was ever caught in a real maze in real life I would probably just sit in one spot and starve to death.

Don't give up yet! I've got something which might help and I've sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by urgrue View Post
    as established authors got older or got frobbed by the real world.
    I like this expression! Very descriptive and unique to taffers everywhere.
    BTW, nice mission but maybe a tad too difficult for me. I will press on however as I try never to leave a mission unfinished.

Don't give up yet! I've got something which might help and I've sent you a pm.
    Thanks Nickie, I appreciate that. I might try again on that maze at a later time. For now, I went into Dromed and changed goal 4 from the Ritual to stealing the wisdom bell to end the mission. I know it doesn't make a ton of sense but this way I never have to deal with the maze and I enjoy it more. I'm sure Larry would cringe at the thought of me altering Dromed to make the mission end this way, but it's just a simpler version for me to play. It's such a beautiful, well designed mission (except for the maze) that I wanted to salvage it in some way. I might try the other way with the maze and all that later on.

Quote Originally Posted by cavador_8 View Post
    ... I'm sure Larry would cringe at the thought of me altering Dromed to make the mission end this way, but it's just a simpler version for me to play.
    Whatever floats your boat. It does tell me that I did not fully succeed in making the maze an enjoyable part of the mission. In fact for you, I didn't succeed in making it tolerable.

I keep trying to think of a way for you to bypass most of the maze, but really, if you have gotten to the central chamber you are already about 2/3 of the way through it. There is a shortcut to the central chamber, but not after. There is a way to bypass most of the high priest's family rooms . . . but that's after the maze.

I was hoping that the search for hidden rooms, corridors, and secret caches in the maze would make exploring it desirable and the experience enjoyable. Oh well. Sorry.

... If I had put in a much harder to kill skeleton AI which follows behind you after you enter the maze, not alerting to you unless you try to sneak past it, but following at a distance, relentlessly . . . would that have helped motivate you through to the end? Or would it just have pissed you off and made you want to quit earlier?

If I had put in a much harder to kill skeleton AI which follows behind you after you enter the maze, not alerting to you unless you try to sneak past it, but following at a distance, relentlessly . . . would that have helped motivate you through to the end? Or would it just have pissed you off and made you want to quit earlier?
    Pissed off is to put it lightly. That would have really, really have added to the frustration. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed this mission. I loved everything leading up to the maze. For me, the only thing mazes can do is bore and frustrate. To me, mazes have always been just boring and frustrating. Others might enjoy them though, but not me. But, I really liked this mission. I just had to find some way to keep it and I did.
    Last edited by cavador_8; 13th Feb 2012 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by cavador_8 View Post
    Pissed off is to put it lightly. That would have really, really have added to the frustration. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed this mission. I loved everything leading up to the maze. For me, the only thing mazes can do is bore and frustrate. To me, mazes have always been just boring and frustrating. Others might enjoy them though, but not me. But, I really liked this mission. I just had to find some way to keep it and I did.
    Well, it was a thought. Now I know it was a bad thought for this situation ... but I still think it might work well elsewhere. I've been toying with a pursuit concept, where as the player goes through a mission, a particular AI keeps showing up, almost as though it were tracking the player, but not yet alerted to his/her presence, just quietly and relentlessly looking around. It would alert if it showed up when the player was carelessly exposed or drew its attention, but not otherwise. Just something to keep the players looking over their shoulder and wondering. I think it could add a little tension and enhance the game play. But not in the maze if you would have your druthers. Got it.

That's a good idea. That would be very creepy (in a good way) to have a character in a mission keep popping up on you. Just not in a maze.

Cavador_8, I guess you did miss the baby part now.
    That part creeped me out a lot

at least check it out. You're so near

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

I guess you did miss the baby part now. That part creeped me out a lot.
    That does have me curious. I will probably give it another go pretty soon.

What you need then is a save game just after the maze as you can do the baby objective without going into the maze.

Finished!

Thanks to the many helpful posts in this thread I was able to complete this mission on normal difficulty. The maze was extremely impressive and as others have noted able to be handled pretty easy using the map.
    My only complaint was the annoying cobwebs!
    Great job Larry! I hope to see the sequels soon.

Expert Level

The hint: Use something to move the scroll (in the first Auditorium). I take this to mean that you would use something that instead of climbing, your pulling. The problem is I haven't found any such item(s). In DromEd I can see such items near the Rainmaker and the cloths rack. but when playing they aren't there. Now are these items difficulty specific and I'm chasing the wrong idea. Or do I have a fault of some type.

Quote Originally Posted by rastas View Post
    The hint: Use something to move the scroll (in the first Auditorium). I take this to mean that you would use something that instead of climbing, your pulling. The problem is I haven't found any such item(s). In DromEd I can see such items near the Rainmaker and the cloths rack. but when playing they aren't there. Now are these items difficulty specific and I'm chasing the wrong idea. Or do I have a fault of some type.
    Chasing the wrong idea. You won't see the solution in DromEd either. This is no DromEd trick. It is built into the engine. Just a unique application.

Another Hint: What would you use to push a button at a distance, silently?
    One More: Have you ever had to knock loot down to where you could pick it up?
    Last edited by LarryG; 16th Feb 2012 at 11:06.

I'm playing on Expert. Is ghosting a requirement here, or if not, where can I access an item to knock heads with?

I've gotten the scroll, and roamed around the place for a while, but I'm not usually a fan of ghosting.

I might have simply missed it in my rambles about the place, especially due to the fact that I'm way overdue for sleep. The insomnia seems to be losing its grip at the moment, though, so hopefully I can tackle this later with a clearer head... and, perhaps, a blackjack.

Go to your room and look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
    I'm playing on Expert. Is ghosting a requirement here, or if not, where can I access an item to knock heads with?

I've gotten the scroll, and roamed around the place for a while, but I'm not usually a fan of ghosting.

I might have simply missed it in my rambles about the place, especially due to the fact that I'm way overdue for sleep. The insomnia seems to be losing its grip at the moment, though, so hopefully I can tackle this later with a clearer head... and, perhaps, a blackjack.
    Yes. Your trusty blackjack is provided. You even start the mission with a note:
    Garrett, please come to the Auditorium foyer at 2:00 sharp for your final examination as a student. You may bring your sword, bow, and no more than seven arrows. Leave your blackjack in your room. Good luck!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast