TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED T2 FM: Finals at the Academy - v2.0 May 6 2012

So, being beyond ridiculously tired and going back to the room I started the mission in would be why I didn't find my blackjack.

Things can only get better from here, yes? Hurray for sleep!

How do you get the scroll in the first mission ? Even after I managed to rush and read it without being seen, as soon as I left the scrolls text screen - game over.
    You so much as fart and it is game over ! The failonsee is far too strict and the AI have impossibly supernatural senses.

I spend more time on the loading screen than in the actual game.

EDIT:

It doesn't matter. I used Sunbeam's cheat program to fly through the walls and explore the other parts of the FM first. It broke the level of course :-)
    Last edited by malau; 21st Mar 2012 at 04:44.

That is so NOT true! I'm not even a ghoster and I've ghosted the mission. It just takes a bit of patience and even on Expert, you only have to ghost a very small part at the beginning. To get the scroll use a moss arrow to knock it into the shadows . If you check your inventory at the beginning and read the exam note you'll see you were required to leave your equipment in your room so that's where you find your BJ. After that, it's back to playing any way you please.

Quote Originally Posted by malau View Post
    How do you get the scroll in the first mission ? Even after I managed to rush and read it without being seen, as soon as I left the scrolls text screen - game over.
    You so much as fart and it is game over ! The failonsee is far too strict and the AI have impossibly supernatural senses.
    What difficulty level are you playing? If you are trying to play at Expert and find it too difficult without having your blackjack at the beginning, I suggest that you play at a lower difficulty first. That will allow you to KO the Keepers in the Auditorium before you go for the scroll. If you try to "rush and read it without being seen" without KOing them first, you will be detected. That's not how to solve the puzzle. If you want to get the scroll without KOing the Keepers, that is amply documented elsewhere in this thread and in the Hints, Spoilers, and Loot List I have provided. But I suggest you play through at a lower level of difficulty first to learn about how to avoid alerting the Keepers before trying Expert.

If you do decide to play at Expert, even then you don't need to ghost the mission. You just can't KO anyone until you recover your BJ. The note in your pocket at the start of the mission tells you where you left it, so you don't even have to hunt for it, you just have to get there unseen. Once you get your BJ, you can KO to your heart's desire even playing at Expert. And if you do want to try and ghost the full mission, you can. The mission is very ghostable and with diligence you can even get a Perfect Thief (ghosting and collecting all the loot). It is not easy to ghost, but it is possible. You just need to spend a little time studying the AIs and their patrol paths.

Can someone tell me where to find the baby rattle on easy?

I'm not sure where you are now but, if you've found the room with a load of sarcophagi which you can get to from either the maze, or the precursor area below, it's in that room. You need to climb a ladder and jump onto one of the sarcophagi. Come back if you need better directions.

I'm there, Nickie, that's where i found it on expert~ I know where it's supposed to be, but I can't see it. Maybe I'm just retarded. I'll go look again. Thanks!

It's in a slightly easier place, in the same place, on Easy.

Got it, thank you!
    Larry's new fix eliminated the crashes after soothing the baby for me as well. Thank you Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by MuptheTaffer View Post
    I'm there, Nickie, that's where i found it on expert~ I know where it's supposed to be, but I can't see it. Maybe I'm just retarded. I'll go look again. Thanks!
    That's the thing about placing the rattle in an "easier" to find location: when you already "know" where it should be from playing through at a higher level of difficulty, it now becomes harder to find when it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by MuptheTaffer View Post
    Larry's new fix eliminated the crashes after soothing the baby for me as well. Thank you Larry!
    Thank you (and nickie and Nightwalker and Tannar and karstenpontoppidan and gnartsch as well) for testing the fixed English language sound files for me!

I want to convert the Russian and German language versions to the same format and release all three versions at the same time. So it'll be a week or so before I post the updated zip here.

Sorry, but I'm also struggling to find the moving sarcophagus in the maze.
    Done everything else.
    I think I need an outright spoil on this. Is it one of those in awall niche?

No, it's not in a wall niche. It is at the north (top) end of a dead end passage which is (I think) the third one from the left as you look at the map. Look for a button on the wall nearby.

Found it !
    Thanks Tannar. 3rd dead end from left or 6th passage from left

Updated Mission Release

I have updated the mission release to v2.0, replacing the problematic wav files with ogg. Go to the first post in this thread to download the updated zips for all three languages (English, German, & Russian).

This is now updated (English) at the Keep with both mirrors there.
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

@Komag: Thanks!

The mission is fabulous! I love all this riddle solving, looking for ingredients and spell and potion making! Thanks, LarryG!!!
    But I desperately need a straightforward spoiler! I am scouring the necropolis for loot and just can't find the so-called 2nd burial vault with a small statue. Please, kind people, help me!

I've sent you a pm. Let me know if you need more help.

Maybe a glitch:
    In the room with the crying baby:
    After realising that the tapestry on the wall is actually a secret door, I tried a random frob on the door and it opened, probably by frobing the button inside the tunnel. I guess it wasn't supposed to be frobbable from outside.

Congratulation on the release, by the way. Great mission!

That was a glitch that turned up in testing and was fixed - or so we thought.

I can't get the game ot load in garettloader.... it automtaically reverts to the original game.... tried version 1 and version 2, but no success.

There must be something wrong with your GL installation, then. I used GL exclusively with no issues during development and testing. But GL is a bit flaky and now unsupported for a couple of years.

I suggest that you install the 1.20 New Dark patch and use built in FM loader instead of GL. All future updates that I make to Finals (and the subsequent missions in the campaign) will only run on the (then) current version of New Dark. And it's soooooo much better and more reliable then 1.18. Truly.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    Maybe a glitch:
    In the room with the crying baby:
    After realising that the tapestry on the wall is actually a secret door, I tried a random frob on the door and it opened, probably by frobing the button inside the tunnel. I guess it wasn't supposed to be frobbable from outside.

Congratulation on the release, by the way. Great mission!
    There's a button on each side of the door. You must have frobbed one or the other.

Thank you. I'm glad you had fun playing it. I had a ball making it!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Garett View Post
    I can't get the game ot load in garettloader.... it automtaically reverts to the original game.... tried version 1 and version 2, but no success.
    1) Install Thief3, or any Thief game and play it once, and save a game once.

2) Install GarrettLoader
    http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/files/...SETUP_1_41.ZIP

3) Set GarrettLoader to Load FMs (Choose a folder)

4) Next, Install this patch (Patch allows you to save and use widescreen monitors)
    http://darkfate.org/view/details/fil...de_1.1.1.1.exe

5) Follow the install directions in the patch to backup T3MAIN.EXE, and use Patch versions.

6) Then Reload GarrettLoader, choose FM, and play

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    1) Install Thief3, or any Thief game and play it once, and save a game once.

2) Install GarrettLoader [...]

3) Set GarrettLoader to Load FMs (Choose a folder)

4) Next, Install this patch [...]

5) Follow the install directions in the patch to backup T3MAIN.EXE, and use Patch versions.

6) Then Reload GarrettLoader, choose FM, and play
    The mission we're talking about is for Thief 2, not Thief 3. Are you certain that all these things (especially installing and patching Thief 3) are necessary to solve the GarrettLoader-related problems in this case?