TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATED T2 FM: Finals at the Academy - v2.0 May 6 2012

Marbrien: AFAIK no-one else has experienced that, so it could well be a one-off glitch. Unfortunately glitches get saved along with the good stuff. What happens if you play through and ignore the baby? It's an optional objective after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before (I can't get the 'search within this thread' to complete), but whenever I try to save after completing the "quiten the baby" objective, the game crashes to desktop. Playing on Hard.
    This is entirely new (and naughty) behavior. Are you saying that the crash happens when you attempt to save? Can you save successfully just before you quiet the baby? If so, can you verify that if you recover using that save that the problem still occurs, and then PM me a link to the save. I'll see if I can reproduce it in my machine. I just can't imagine what would cause that behavior, but if it is reproducible I'll do what I can to fix it.
    Last edited by LarryG; 30th Dec 2011 at 10:33.

Quote Originally Posted by jardakrupka View Post
    Thank for counsel,perhaps I'm it turned on.Dispatched private report from someone I have to always search about?: D
    Yes. The forum is no longer rejecting PMs to you. I just PM'd you. You should have a Notification in the upper right corner area.

Larry G

Thank for PM afternoon I'm it already solved plus entrance found.Already Shall I and broken arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    This is entirely new (and naughty) behavior. Are you saying that the crash happens when you attempt to save? Can you save successfully just before you quiet the baby? If so, can you verify that if you recover using that save that the problem still occurs, and then PM me a link to the save. I'll see if I can reproduce it in my machine. I just can't imagine what would cause that behavior, but if it is reproducible I'll do what I can to fix it.
    I can save just before quieting the baby. I can reload that save file and proceed to the end of the game (as I have now done) and make further saves along the way, as long as I don't quieten the baby. But once I have given the baby the necessary object, then when I press Esc (in order to make a save) the games crashes to desktop. I can be some distance away from the baby room and the problem still occurs. Playing on Hard.

How do you attach a save file to a PM? None of the icons seem to allow that.

I'm playing on normal. Since i finished the baby objective, every time i try to read something from my inventory, or do a quick load, it crashes. And like the idiot that i am, i don't have any saves to go back to. Arrgh.

I can save just before quieting the baby. I can reload that save file and proceed to the end of the game (as I have now done) and make further saves along the way, as long as I don't quieten the baby. But once I have given the baby the necessary object, then when I press Esc (in order to make a save) the games crashes to desktop. I can be some distance away from the baby room and the problem still occurs. Playing on Hard.

How do you attach a save file to a PM? None of the icons seem to allow that.
    You use a file sharing service like MediaFire or ADrive or 4shared or ... just google file sharing and pick one. Then after uploading your file, paste the URL to it in a PM.

Does it crash if you do a quicksave? or just if you escape to the menus and then save?
    Last edited by LarryG; 30th Dec 2011 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by MuptheTaffer View Post
    I'm playing on normal. Since i finished the baby objective, every time i try to read something from my inventory, or do a quick load, it crashes. And like the idiot that i am, i don't have any saves to go back to. Arrgh.
    This is not good. Once might be an anomaly, but twice is the beginning of a pattern ... I just wish I could duplicate it and determine if the rattle objective business is a red herring. I can't imagine how it could connect, but I don't know that much about how this all works.

I'm sorry, I wish it didn't happen. I think I will have to start the mission over from the beginning now.
    And I want to thank you Larry, for making this. I am enjoying it very much. Best Christmas present a taffer could get ;-)

thanks for the clues, folks, but I'm still having trouble (this is not a mission to play while sick and slow-thinking):
    1- I found the glyphs in the attic but even having read the lesson and the note about the code, I'm not sure what to do. simply frobbing 1-8 doesn't do it.
    2- I couldn't find the key to the exhibit hall window lock, but did find an alternate route. specific hints for the key would be appreciated.

oh, and now that I have the ingredients I easily made the Airy Spell, but the Mixed Drink requires 4 ingredients. it took me a couple tries to realize this, since only I,III,III are listed

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    1- I found the glyphs in the attic but even having read the lesson and the note about the code, I'm not sure what to do. simply frobbing 1-8 doesn't do it.
    You don't mention finding the mnemonic which tells you the combination. If you didn't find that, having found the glyph poster doesn't do you much good. To find the mnemonic, you need to explore the Principle Floor and read everything in the file cabinets. See if that's enough of a hint.

If you did find the mnemonic, then just use the glyph poster to look up the glyphs called out in the mnemonic and frob them in order when they show up on the wall.

2- I couldn't find the key to the exhibit hall window lock, but did find an alternate route. specific hints for the key would be appreciated.
    Hint:
    spoiler:
    Which keeper(s) would have the responsibility for the Special Collections? Search their rooms and offices closely

2nd Hint:
    spoiler:
    Search Coleman's residence closely

3rd Hint:
    spoiler:
    Don't forget the study off of the bedroom.

4th Hint:
    spoiler:
    Look at everything in there.

oh, and now that I have the ingredients I easily made the Airy Spell, but the Mixed Drink requires 4 ingredients. it took me a couple tries to realize this, since only I,III,III are listed
    All four items are listed, 3 ingredients and something to hold the resulting potion ...

Gather these to test your mettle,
    Each and every in the kettle
    You must place them, let them settle.
    Next one bottle, with a stopper,
    You must add within the copper.

Must be the illness slowing you down. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. Feel better!

Just to update everyone on the status of this anomaly, I have received Marbrien's save file, and opened it up on my machine. No problem. I then completed the objective and saved the game into another slot. No problem. I then restored the game to the pre-objective completed state using Marbrien's save file. No problem. I then restored the game using my post-completed save. No problem. Finally I did my happy elf dance, tripped over a dog and crashed into a wall. Still no problem with the mission, but my wife may have injured herself laughing at me. (Not really. She's fine, and due to my bad back I actually only imagined myself doing the elf dance, but when my back was healthy enough for the elf dance, I did tend to crash into things, causing my wife to laugh a lot. Why is it that women laugh at men when they do pratfalls? Never mind, I don't want to know. I'm just grateful that there is one thing that I can do which generally makes her laugh. Except I can't anymore due to the aforementioned back ... I may be in trouble ... but enough about me.)

In any event, I'm currently calling this anomaly a computer specific event. Which means that I don't think there is anything I can do to fix it on Marbrien's machine. We'll see if MuptheTaffer can reproduce the issue after replaying to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    We'll see if MuptheTaffer can reproduce the issue after replaying to that point.
    Gee, not to put any pressure on me or anything
    Alrighty then, I better get crackin'. I'm slow.

I soothed the baby and pressed O to check my objectives... and T2 crashed

I soothed the baby and pressed O to check my objectives... and T2 crashed
    Well something odd is going on. Send me a url to your save just prior to the soothing the baby. No crash with that save, yes? I can try it here, complete the objective, and see what is to be seen.

Also, from my README:
    Firstly, this mission is right on the edge of what the Dark engine can support in terms of numbers of objects and terrain / scene complexity. It plays best on up to date hardware, and should be OK on most systems. However if your rig is marginal, there may be sections of the mission map which will stress it. Should you experience frame rate degradation, thatís a tip off that your hardware may not be up to the demand. The mission, however, can be completed by avoiding those areas. While fun, those areas are optional. There are other paths to follow. I did my best to have multiple solutions and multiple routes, so if you get blocked one way, try another.
    I don't know if this is a factor in these three cases or if there is some common cause in the mission that I can do something about. But until I find a cause, I advise everyone to save your game prior to soothing the crying baby.
    Last edited by LarryG; 31st Dec 2011 at 01:37.

Hi LarryG

I'm replaying and I'm eager to solve EVERY puzzle in your FM.

So I have 2 questions concerning the Academy part:

1. I'm battling with the babble-fish riddle. Garrett has written something like "is it a code...?" in his notes. In Coleman's bedroom there is a hooked marlin with declarations on length & weight, and on his dresser is a living fish in a bowl.
    Is it a question of a numeric puzzle in combination with the bell of wisdom? If yes, how are the numbers to be handled, especially the "1/2" in the weight? I've tried some combinations on both fishes, but nothing goes on.

2. There should be a "special goodie" in Leopold's rooms. I'm very curious to find out. I searched and searched, tried to do something with the mine cart model and with the paintings. No result. Could you please give me a gentle hint on what I should direct my attention?

Thanks in advance!
    Urumo

Quote Originally Posted by Urumo View Post
    I'm replaying and I'm eager to solve EVERY puzzle in your FM.

So I have 2 questions concerning the Academy part:

1. I'm battling with the babble-fish riddle. Garrett has written something like "is it a code...?" in his notes. In Coleman's bedroom there is a hooked marlin with declarations on length & weight, and on his dresser is a living fish in a bowl.
    Is it a question of a numeric puzzle in combination with the bell of wisdom? If yes, how are the numbers to be handled, especially the "1/2" in the weight? I've tried some combinations on both fishes, but nothing goes on.

2. There should be a "special goodie" in Leopold's rooms. I'm very curious to find out. I searched and searched, tried to do something with the mine cart model and with the paintings. No result. Could you please give me a gentle hint on what I should direct my attention?

Thanks in advance!
    Urumo
    Whew. Let me think how to reply.

1. The Babble-Fish riddle. I suggest that you try and read the text aloud to yourself, syllable by syllable. That may help to focus your mind on the solution. The difficulty is really in recognizing what is not there rather than what is there. Remember Aescha was in a hurry when he wrote it down. I can say that Coleman's rooms play no part in the solution, and that though you will go to where the riddle applies during the game play, you may not recognize that you are there unless you are very observant. Once you have decoded what the Babble Fish said, you may not need any further hints. But if you do, post again and I can then be a little more specific.

2. Well. I wonder what led you to that conclusion ... but yes, there is a little something extra there. 1st Hint: Read what he wrote. 2nd Hint: It was written to Coleman. 3rd Hint: Ever play "Hot and Cold" as a child. The one where something was hidden and you were told "hot" if you were close to it and "cold" if you were not?
    Last edited by LarryG; 31st Dec 2011 at 09:02. Reason: Added another hint to the Babble-Fish section

"I'm currently calling this anomaly a computer specific event" - specific to people whose user names start with M it would seem!

I can't help but wonder about computer specs and version of T2 being played, whether there is any commonality there that the rest of the folk who play the mission uneventfully (and all of my Beta Testers) do not share.

If your game crashed after quieting the baby, would you post your computer specs, including amount of installed memory, free disk space on the drive you use for T2, and the version of T2 that you have installed? Maybe I can spot something.

Larry! Ha!

How many languages do you speak anyway ??? The first lines of the babbel text were really babbely to me - until I found something that sounded a bit familiar, and in the next language again and more clear. And then I understood it of course.
    Does the "decoded" text refer to a painting or so somewhere in the Academy? I'm looking araound but until now I didn't find the land ... where Pegasus should be.

Thank you for guiding me!
    Urumo

It doesn't refer to anything in the Academy itself. You'll get to it later on.

Leopold

Hi Larry,

After solving that riddle it seems soooo easy and clearly. He destroyed the plans for a weapon. What is hot must be cooled - and voila!

Brilliant.

Cheers
    Urumo

I expected that Europeans would have an advantage over Americans, and Swiss especially so, with the Babble-Fish puzzle.
    Last edited by LarryG; 31st Dec 2011 at 13:33.

Someone apparently fixed the problem with the german version available via Southquarter. The Zip file is OK now.

@Brethren: Thank you!

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast