TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Years (January) Vid Thread!

Still Subjective

The New Years (January) Vid Thread!

Thought I'd start a new one seeing as it's a new year and a new month.

Here's your starter. The Thing. Remade in... Pingu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Def4JOlRLU4

Still Subjective
    Beautiful and terrifying. Those ships! Madmen!

Last edited by Azaran; 23rd Jan 2012 at 21:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Here's your starter. The Thing. Remade in... Pingu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Def4JOlRLU4
    I think the term for this genre would be kawaii-kowaii.

I'll link to a video of my favorite old Ukrainian jazzman, Kapustin, being a fuckin' boss as the first comment puts it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    By chance I saw that lately, there's also a cat on yt that likes it's lemon. Very weird.
    My own cat eats potato chips and yoghurt. But no fruits ever.
    Anyway, I really laughed hard at this: Cat gets caught barking by a human and resumes meowing

And then there's this: Girl with a funny talent

Still Subjective
    Come on the cat was in the old thread already really guys what's the point if we're doing this
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

That barking cat is awesome, that's when you know animals are more more like us than we think...

A black and white cartoon about berries, from the twisted mind of David Firth

I don't like David Firth's purposely psychotic creations. Maybe because I'm neither a sheltered 13 year old, nor do I want to "harden" myself into becoming a real good cynic by watching the most fucked up shit on the internet.
    There are too many real life psychos around. Diving headfirst into the abyss isn't even creativity to me. It's giving up. Try to make something good instead. Something that makes me smile and feel like a human that I can relate to and don't make it cheesy. It's much harder than this simple game of fear and disgust.

Still Subjective
    Are you going for Buzzkill2012 or something? Cuz it's working.

I have no idea what you're talking about. But I'm sure it's awfully clever.

He does comedy too, like the hilarious Men from up the stairs

And his Health reminder is a riot.

Not funny.

You see when I wanna hear fucked up shit I read the news...
    Oh here's a good one: 60.000 Americans were forcibly sterilized between 1907 and 1981. Mostly black American women. And usually because they were officially deemed retarded and promiscuous. Like Elaine Riddick, sterilized by state at age 14, after she'd been raped.

In short: Real life is fucked up enough. I don't need some pubertal comic to show me the mind of a psychotic murderer. I can see that any time I turn my head. And that's not to say I want to see no disturbing stuff in art. Quite to the contrary. It can be a great way to deface atrocities done in the name of whatever prejudice or ideology. But I don't need a comic that wallows in psychotic murderous fantasies. If that's humour to you, I think you're sick. Or very young.
    Last edited by Kolya; 5th Jan 2012 at 18:38.

The point of surrealism from the start was to rip the cover off the idea that life has to be rational and isn't actually some absurd fantasy most of the time. You might not like the idea, but when you start pigeonholing art, like it doesn't have meaning unless it "very practically" helps mankind and "the oppressed" or give some insight into the good & decent life or whatever, there's a chance you may be shutting your eyes and shouting "lalalala, that's puerile, sick & juvenile", to how most of life actually works.

Good surrealism & anti-art is designed to keep us from falling into this trap by obliterating the walls people use to keep life rational, tidy, & contained. And it's not just that real life is fucked up; it's that fuckedupedness is also inside of you, and it's important that you get acquainted with it since it's part of you too; it's even worse if you ignore that part of you -- and "surrealism", "surreal fantasy", and "imagination" can tap into that inner part of you better than the 24 hour news cycle (which, needless to say, is an awful vehicle to any real insight).

That isn't to say Firth is a grandmaster at this... He's still leagues behind people like Breton, Buñuel, Dali, Lynch, etc... But he's on the right track IMO.

Edit: This is an old (& very interesting IMO) debate actually. For background reading cf.: the break of Aragon from surrealism because it didn't "help the people" (he criticized Dali's milk-suit since it was such a waste of good milk, which turned everybody against him), and the big debate between the relationship of surrealism & politics, Breton's expulsion from the Ass'n of Rev Writers for not being "disciplined" enough, but also the great "trial of Dali" & his expulsion for supporting Franco & going commercial but he still kept to the letter of the surrealist manifesto & its revolutionary potential better than anyone.

The core of surrealism has always been "imagination is liberation", and you have to let the free imagination out, *especially* the irreverent subversive and discomforting kind, not cover it up; but people have different ideas about what's being "liberated". I've always understood it in a more spiritual sense... It's tapping into the irrational core of ourselves that defines us, and not covering it up with tidy comforting illusions. Politics & "situations" come and go, but that spiritual core is always with us.
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Jan 2012 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Good surrealism & anti-art is designed to keep us from falling into this trap by obliterating the walls people use to keep life rational, tidy, & contained. And it's not just that real life is fucked up; it's that fuckedupedness is also inside of you, and it's important that you get acquainted with it since it's part of you too, and "surrealism" and "surreal fantasy" can tap into that inner part of you better than the 24 hour news cycle (which, needless to say, is an awful vehicle to any real insight).
    That isn't to say Firth is a grandmaster at this... He's still leagues behind people like Breton, Buñuel, Dali, Lynch, etc... But he's on the right track IMO.
    Exactly. There's something profoundly fascinating about surrealism, it's hard to explain, but David Firth goes to the core of it (especially Salad Fingers).
    As for Dali, I've loved his art since as far back as I can remember, and it has the same effect on me.

For something more lighthearted, George Carlin's 7 Words

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Not funny.

You see when I wanna hear fucked up shit I read the news...

In short: Real life is fucked up enough. I don't need some pubertal comic to show me the mind of a psychotic murderer.
    THIS JUST IN: SURREALISM OFFICIALLY SHIT

GET OUT

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Kolya, you have less of a sense of humour than Batman, only you're not awesome either. How can you even be alive? Fuck you, fuck your delicate East German sensibilities, and while we're at it fuck you again. Seriously, get out. You remind me of people who claim that everything is exploitative and that wanting to be entertained is an exercise in self-nullification.

You're an awful person and you need to rethink your life.

Here's some reality for folks
    The Vice Guide to Liberia (it's actually worth going to the site to watch the rest, despite the shit you're going to hear)

Can we go back to zany pretend murder and mayhem now thanks?

Why is it that Kolyas nationality always gets referred to in these powows?

muz been on a Vice guide binge? That video is horrific, in the sense that I cant even fathom how those people live.

My favourite (and unfortunately less well known) surreal comedy series from my favourite comedian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjoZnNewgvY

Yeah, very much so. They're like this "cool" alternative publication that was a little bit kooky, a little bit "mondo" shock and exploitation, but the curiosity and sense of adventure almost accidentally makes them some of the best stuff around.
    Even pretty dangerous mainstream journalism is still all about them and how they are or became 1000yard stare sleep-with-your-knife types. These guys, Smith and Alvi particularly, are sort of schlubby and casual about the whole thing.

Of all the horrors in the Liberia one there's one bit that kinda sticks out the most and it's because of that bit in the swamp at the start. Here's this dude, formerly the most feared and psychopathic warlord in the most violent and depraved war for hundreds of years, mass murderer, human sacrifice etc etc And he's sorry he can't carry the white guy through the swamp. He's got so much respect for the white man who'll get his feet wet with him.
    That ep is just crazy shit on top of crazy shit.

Doing human rights law I deal with that kind of stuff every day. You can't be squeemish if you have to document it and work out all the different laws involved and the social causes & effects on the ground. What gets me about West Africa are things like using rape as a systematic military tactic, and how they brainwash the kids. Obviously I'm not as fatalistic as some people are... These things have social causes that aren't written in stone, even if they're sometimes very entrenched.

Edit: On the topic of Surrealism, I love this comedy spoof-documentary on it -- Surrealismo - The Trail of Salvador Dali
    Last edited by demagogue; 6th Jan 2012 at 02:46.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Kolya, you have less of a sense of humour than Batman, only you're not awesome either.
    A grown up man who dresses up as a bat is not awesome.

I can see what Kolya is getting at with Salad Fingers, I really can - Firth is clearly into sensationalism just as much as surrealism, which can muddy the waters for any sort of artistic appreciation. There is definitely a line (that is crossed in vids like "Milkman") where it's more about pure sensationalist awfulness than anything else - yes the juxtaposition of the imagery and music and the abrupt tonal shift is still well within the artistic credibility realm, but really it's just a dude killing people and fucking their corpses for shock value. By the way, I laughed at Milkman the first time I saw it but this stuff definitely leaves you with a very sleazy and discomfiting after-taste. Ultimately I'd rather see art that inspires and lifts and empowers than one that strips someone naked and feeling emotionally vulnerable - that's just a taste thing, though.

I think Salad Fingers is well put together, but I'm not sure how much of the fanbase's psychoanalysis can be credited to Firth.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I can see what Kolya is getting at with Salad Fingers, I really can - Firth is clearly into sensationalism just as much as surrealism, which can muddy the waters for any sort of artistic appreciation. There is definitely a line (that is crossed in vids like "Milkman") where it's more about pure sensationalist awfulness than anything else - yes the juxtaposition of the imagery and music and the abrupt tonal shift is still well within the artistic credibility realm, but really it's just a dude killing people and fucking their corpses for shock value. By the way, I laughed at Milkman the first time I saw it but this stuff definitely leaves you with a very sleazy and discomfiting after-taste. Ultimately I'd rather see art that inspires and lifts and empowers than one that strips someone naked and feeling emotionally vulnerable - that's just a taste thing, though.

I think Salad Fingers is well put together, but I'm not sure how much of the fanbase's psychoanalysis can be credited to Firth.
    The Milkman one (which I also found hilarious first time I saw it) was definitely for shock value (as are his Christmas and Valentines Day shorts, which however are extremely disturbing and not really funny..) but he's on to something with his other stuff. I read once that he draws inspiration from his dreams.

Anyway, here's Dave Chappelle's classic skit on the Black White Supremacist