TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Years (January) Vid Thread!

the left rights best video - Im on crack
    excellent video, if you havent seen it before make sure you take some serious drugs before you do.

Surrealist, or not?

I think the term surrealist is frequently misused to describe horror and black comedy created in comic form. As Muz points out, Vasquez is not a surrealist but a lot of people label him as one anyway.

It's worth emphasizing that psychotic or fucked up art is not automatically surrealist. As Dali himself says, surrealism is not an embrace of madness. Surrealism is about exploring or expanding how we think or how we interpret the world by taking familiar elements and associating them in unconventional ways. Good surrealist art comes from juxtaposing disparate concepts or realities and resolving their conflict in a way that produces a startling or thought provoking result. It's more than just a random brain dump, and it's interesting not just because it's incongruous or fucked up. The genius of surrealism is the use of simple incongruity to make a more profound statement, provoke a question, or put a spark in the mind of the viewer.

A very simple example is Dali's Face of War noting that the nature of war is an endless cycle perpetuated through images and speech of death and of previous wars.

A more elaborate example that really illustrates the genius of surrealism is Magritte's painting Key to Dreams:

At first glance, it's deceptively simple. It looks like vocabulary flash cards with an obvious incongruity: some of the words don't match the images. Many art school interpretations superficially follow that lead and explore the statements it makes about semantics in discourse. Some who have a preference for the word form suggest it illustrates that the meaning of symbology is undefined except by convention. And some who prefer the image form discuss the arbitrary nature of the labels we apply to things. But more generally, it suggests the meaning of any semantic representation is contextual, the meaning of something is established by relating it to something else according to convention, and thus the basis of knowledge is not truth but metaphor.

While those interpretations are valid and interesting, the primary meaning of the painting is given away by the title. It's a commentary on Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams, a critical commentary I think. The frame around the images is actually a window, with a dark background signifying the night, and the images are abstract symbols for the things we dream about. It's a metaphor for Freud's belief that dreams are a window into the subconscious that can be accessed by condensing, compositing, and then interpreting the images from our dreams. The words represent the non-literal interpretations that Freud's method ascribes to the dream symbols. On one level, the painting speaks to the arbitrariness and futility of Freud's interpretation method. Beyond that, it challenges Freud's basic assumption that dreams are the basis for accessing the subconscious, because surrealists believed instead that techniques such as automatism were the keys to unlocking the subconscious.

Sorry to ramble for so long. Don't even get me started on Dali's Galatea of the Spheres.

Anyway, the point I was making is that surrealism is not simply a celebration of the random and absurd. Good surrealist art should be mind-expanding, or at least aspire to it, and David Firth's cartoons don't do that for me. Even though he may be using some surrealist techniques, the end result seems like pointless entertainment. Whereas Magritte's work can be profound on its own, but it's real gift is that it's a jumping off point into philosophy. Similarly, Dali's later work is a jumping off point to explore the relationship between humanity, religion, and science. Putting Firth into the same discussion is like putting John Lily and Allen Ginsberg in the same camp as the kid who uses LSD to trip out at a concert. And I'm insulting the likes of Dali and Magritte by even making that analogy.
    Last edited by heywood; 9th Jan 2012 at 04:06. Reason: Deleted duplicates. Took 3 days to post this without timing out and then it shows up in triplicate. grr

The basic distinction you seem to make is that good or real surrealist art has a message. That's something I can get behind.

Jhonen Vasquez certainly isn't surrealist but his comics are not just for shocks and entertainment either. (Although they are a lot of fun.) There's also a good portion of social commentary in it. I read Johnny the homicidal maniac as an angry and over the top answer to a reactionary consumerist and plainly mundane reality. It's in Vasquez's preface to JTHM and also in the comic itself, eg the little boy with the teddy who's so cruelly neglected by his parents that JTHM's attention seems preferable, startling as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Vasquez's preface to JTHM
    Ugh, after reading that, I'm even less inclined to give JTHM another try than I previously was... Guess it's just not for me.

I tried reading it but my eyes kept screaming

Each of the comics had a similar preface by the author pondering usually nihilistic thoughts, though also increasingly stating that Vasquez does like to live. Apparently in response to pretentious goths sending him letters about their death wish.
    The prefaces are indeed not much fun, but they do provide some necessary context on the mindset JTHM sprang from.

Strange and haunting sounds picked up by Nasa voyager from Neptune. There are also others from most planets in our solar system; apparently they're a combination of the planet's rotation with solar winds and electromagnetic waves.

It sounds creepy as hell, and I really want to believe it's real, but something's not right. Anyone got a confirmation on whether any of the audio clips of planets on youtube are legit, and if so, how much have they been tweaked with filters and other effects?

It sounds like some of the synthesisers I use.

They were officially released by Nasa on cd's:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nasa-Voyager-S...6176912&sr=1-1

Apparently they took electromagnetic and other emanations that were picked up by satellites as they were passing those planets, converted them to audio, and this is the result

Edit: I dug a bit more, and they achieve it with sonification
    Last edited by Azaran; 10th Jan 2012 at 02:01.

If the processes it's recording have any regular structure then it's reasonable to think they might emulate the kinds of algorithms synthesizers end up using. Not every process in nature has to be like Brownian white noise.

I can turn pictures of cats into audio, pick harmonics to emphasise, create a nice stereo field, and there you have an alien world.

At the least I'm sure it's sensationalist, cherry-picked, and heavily edited. It doesn't even sound like any other space audio that I've heard.

I don't mean to be a dick about it. Just avoiding the disappointment of prettified space sounds made to be marketable.
    Last edited by Neb; 10th Jan 2012 at 03:18.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    you sound like kolya

I checked the Nasa website, and a lot of them are particle and radio waves emitted from the planets and converted to audio. I don't know how much filtering and editing they do beyond that, but it's still intriguing

Mistaken for a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I can turn pictures of cats into audio, pick harmonics to emphasise, create a nice stereo field, and there you have an alien world.
    I believe you're the first to even mention "alien". Natural sounds can be cool, strange and even haunting without people going all conspiracy theory over it.

I think he meant "alien world" as in "a strange world", not necessarily one with fanged monsters.

wtf

Taking a break
    A new Silent Hill? dethtoll will be overjoyed

Mistaken for a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I think he meant "alien world" as in "a strange world", not necessarily one with fanged monsters.
    Ok, why bother with that post at all then.
    (Or i just got the tone of it entirely wrong, again)

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    the left rights best video - Im on crack
    excellent video, if you havent seen it before make sure you take some serious drugs before you do.
    Oh, boy. This crazy shit was but a gateway drug to more crazy shit such as Lunchablez:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHnGMV8yOEQ

Head spinning now.

Quote Originally Posted by hopper View Post
    This was awesome, what an effort.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    A new Silent Hill? dethtoll will be overjoyed
    actually silent hill is more likely to enrage me these days

it's my own personal fallout

thanks for trying though, but i think you want 242, who has zero taste

I just noticed today if you start moving the arrow keys around while a YouTube video is loading, the "wait" icon will turn into a little train and you'll start playing that snake game where you have to eat dots and not run into your tail. Might be a temporary thing they coded in for fun. It was ... unexpected.