TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jericho?

Jericho?

so anybody played it?

I think its fan-f'n-tastic personally. Its not the most imaginative of shooters, (mostly i'm talking the level design) but I just love the FEEL of it. the way the your character moves, and sees things etc.

It reminds me a lot of the gameplay for Painkiller, except this is actually fun, and the gameplay feels like you're actually pushing forward the story instead of fighting through 5 levels and then waiting for the cutscene to tell you whats really going on.

If only i wasn't having problems with it freezing because my videocard is pussing out on me constantly. I'd be great.

Judging by the demo, it's exactly what I thought it would be - a solid action fps. Nothing more, nothing less. It looks pretty nice, the expected weapon variety is there, and the enemies die under my minigun fire with an appropriate amount of fanfare.

somewhat short. extremely unimpressive. a friend bought it but had problems running it so he came by to see if it could run on my comp. anyway it did so he left me the game for the weekend since he'd be leaving too. installed at about 16:00 on friday, finished around 7 am on saturday morning (yeah i slack alot). and thats not playing nonstop or anything. took frequent breaks cause i got frustrated every now and then with the whole "linear...erm..-ity" and the crappy console port.

so :

pros - kick ass graphics and stable as hell. running on highest detail, 4x "smoothing" (:P im guessing this is aa) @ 1024x768 didnt break a sweat.
    somewhat gory and a lot of trash talk. nice one-liners from squad members. nice aliens-kinda-squad feel. nice presentation (no 3rd person cut scenes etc).

cons - OMG CONSOLE PORT. levels are small as well.. console game levels. theres a loading screen every 15 mins of gameplay. (does not take much time to load though and theres some somewhat interesting text to read while waiting).
    EXTREMELY linear. there arent even "trap" alternate routes like in doom3 or painkiller. levels are also extremely "blocked" (the invisible-wall-blocking-you thingie)
    controls/movement feel a bit clunky. no jump. no crouch-walk. a kind of bug that doest recognize remapped keys in the "action-cutscene"-press-button-that-appears-on-screen (i play with esdf and had to use wasd in cutscenes).
    ammo is restocked at each checkpoint and while in combat the "hacker" squad member "downloads supplies"? wtf? this means infinite ammunition. (on normal difficulty)
    not much variety in colors.
    not much variety in enemies. there are like 7 enemies total and 3 of them are specific to the different timelines you encounter. this is excluding bosses and mini bosses. also enemy AI is boring. they just charge at you the same way each time.
    short and easy game. has some unlockables if you complete it on different difficulties etc but not much replay value there IMHO.
    squad AI not that good.
    spoiler:
    fucking extremely disapointing ending.

all in all it gives me that "console tard" feeling. no offence to anyone that finds a liking in this game. i do hope that some other similar games dont feel this way. mainly crysis and blacksite.

anyway im off to

I played the Xbox demo and was completely underwhelmed. The controls are unrefined, the shooting was dull and the graphics were mediocre. Good voice acting, I guess, but that doesn't save it from being a total run-of-the-mill FPS.

EDIT whoops, I was thinking of Call of Juarez, but really, the same complaints apply.
    Last edited by Aja; 27th Oct 2007 at 21:07.

Knows his stuff

There are a bazillion* Jericho threads in GenGaming, this is the one I'm necromancing

SPEAKING OF THE LEVELDESIGN, for a game this linear I find it quite hard to know where I'm supposed to be going in this game. At one point I had seemingly reached the end of a level and ended up in this open area. Someone on my radio kept yelling "Get up here Billy, we need your bloodmagic!". Meanwhile I'm running around in this open area for five minutes trying to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to be going. The voice on the radio keeps repeating "Hurry up Billy, I can't hold her much longer!". And I'm like "uuuuh you've been holding her back for five minutes already, it seems to me that you can hold her just fine but whatever". Then I backtrack through the entire level thinking that maybe I'm supposed to go back to the beginning of the level, but nope. Once back at the open area I think that maybe I need to switch to the right character for the level to end. I gotta be "Billy", right? The problem is that the interface where you switch character lists names like "Church", "Black", "Jones". These are surnames but for some reason all the characters keep calling eachother by their first names. So "Billy", that's gotta be one of the guys right? NOOOOPPPPEE. I spend five more minutes switching between the male characters and running around before I pause the game, open the gamemanual where luckily there happens to be a "BIO'S" section. Turns out that "Billy" is the female samuraichick. So I switch to her and run around a bit more, finally I stumble into the nondescript corner of the area which triggers the end_level command.

JESUSFUCK

A few levels later I fight through all kinds of shit only to keep getting wiped out in this area on top of a castle. And the checkpoint is half the fucking level back. So I restart from the checkpoint, and after 10 more minutes of shooting and slashing my way through enemies I'm back in the castle area. I die again. I repeat this procedure four more times, never managing to come up with a winning strategy, but plenty of new cursewords. FINALLY I manage to kill all the enemies in that area only to discover that the level-exit is RIGHT THERE. It's a hole in the ground! While strafing around shooting motherfuckers I just tried avoiding falling into it but it seems that I could've just jumped down into it at any time to end the level. I'd use the mad-smiley right here but mere emoticons do not express how I'm feeling right now.

What is wrong with those people over at MercurySteam? Do they feed on the tears of gamers?

Anyway I guess it's a testiment to how fun the combat is and how the story keeps you wanting to know what comes next, that I'm actually still playing this game despite it's horrible leveldesign and brutal checkpoints.

* actual number: four

I liked it. Far from ideal but the atmosphere and story were good.

Hmm, interesting views. Jericho happens to be one of nine games I bought cheapish about a week ago, so it's on my to-play list.

Although, did I read Sinister_Evil right? There's no jumping???

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForge View Post
    There wouldn't be enough buttons for the console-toy users otherwise, herp derp.

You won't miss jumping. Besides, like Sg3 said, the atmosphere and story are good enough to be worth playing.

Knows his stuff
    You can vault over most waist-high objects, but there's no specific jump-button. It's just a "press actionbutton to jump" kinda thing. Can't say I noticed the lack of a jumpbutton till I just read it here.

Anyway, I'd say the game gets better past the halfway mark. Though that might be mostly because I've gotten comfortable inside the different characters shoes by now, enough to know what strategies to use on the different enemies at least. Mostly I end up playing as the samuraichick though. She has this Blood Ward spell which freezes enemies, leaving them open to be stylishly dispatched by a quick slash of her blade. Also the hackerchick is good because she can slow down time, boost the entire teams firepower, and throw grenades which can be configured to blow up in 4 different ways. And of course the Heavy is very useful if only because his gatlinggun can fuck dudes up real fast in close to medium encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemptus View Post
    There wouldn't be enough buttons for the console-toy users otherwise, herp derp.
    Yup. Shooters need to let the player jump half their body height vertically and possibly change directions in mid-air.. Goddamned consoles ruining everything.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    FPS games have occasionally gone without jumping for ages now. Where've you been? Thiefgen?

I found that the last half of the game bored me a bit because the enemies stopped changing. Nothing new really happened. But i stand by my feeling on the action, especially in the bits inside the colleseum thing. where half your team is on the other end of the map and the tracer fire is ripping around. Felt really cool. I hated the ending though.

Basically I figure it deserves the all the negative things that has been said about it, about as much as Undying deserved all the positive things that were said about it.

Also, I take back that line in my OP about Painkiller, not sure why I would've said that.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    FPS games have occasionally gone without jumping for ages now. Where've you been? Thiefgen?
    I suppose it's just that out of the FPS games on the PC that I've played, I've never come across one that didn't let you jump. I guess I just figured that it was always a default inclusion for these things.

In fact, I think the only FPS I've ever played that didn't let you jump was Alien Trilogy on the Playstation.

Knows his stuff
    You haven't played Doom?

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I hated the ending though.
    Just finished it, I didn't hate the ending. It was satisfying enough, it just didn't really have any punch to it.

Overall I'm gonna have to agree with the critics on this one, it's a 6/10 game. The gameplay is really good once you get a hang of it(which won't be until halfway through the game really) and the story and atmosphere is good. But the punishingly few checkpoints and often confusing leveldesign weigh it down a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    You haven't played Doom?
    No. No I haven't.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Fix that.

I played the demo through Steam a while back. I was mildly interested, but it is a very 'busy' game. Some people may be into that sort of thing, but to me, it was just hectic. Frantically fumbling through the characters to find the one the game wanted me to be playing as @ that moment just didn't appeal to me.

I see it has been super cheap the last couple years, and once this backlog dies down a bit, I may get it during the summer dry months, when game releases typically slow down to a trickle.

Hmm, interesting views. Jericho happens to be one of nine games I bought cheapish about a week ago, so it's on my to-play list.
    Well I made that post in February last year, and I've only now just started on this game...

... Yeah...

I read the posts here discussing Jericho's problems and, if I'm honest, I remember thinking to myself that it was probably exaggeration, that chances are I probably wouldn't quite see what you guys were talking about when I finally tried it for myself. But as it turns out, I do. It is getting a little repetitive with: kill enemy, another replaces it, kill enemy, another replaces it, walk a bit, kill enemy, another replaces it, kill enemy... you get the point!

I also think it's using up enough ammo just trying to take one guy down in this game. I don't mind admitting that I'm playing through this on Easy, and bearing in mind there's often six or seven of the team all fighting together, just one enemy takes longer to die than I would expect. (I guess headshots don't register in this game; even the sniper rifle chick often needs to use around 4 shots on the "weakest" enemy.) My guys also don't seem to stand up to much punishment before dying: if we're under fire and one of them goes down, I run over and heal them only to see them go down again mere seconds later. For christ sake guys, try and at least dodge the enemy fire, instead of continuously forcing me into it just to save your sorry asses!

Other little niggles include not being able to save anywhere, and henke's complaint of characters calling each other by first names when only surnames are used on screen, so I can't always remember who's who. Also finding it difficult at the moment to remember the special abilities of each character; what they're able to do and which of the two keys activates which power (guess I should write this stuff down!) Doesn't help either that I've been forced to abandon my usual control setup because this game literally prohibits me from binding any mouse button to any movement - it's difficult to suddenly have to ignore what's been the norm for years and struggle to get to grips with a different way of doing things.

But you know what? Despite all this I'm having a not completely terrible time playing this game. I guess it's mainly the story that's holding my interest right now; it's an interesting premise and an intriguing plot, and I am liking the characters and their interactions with one another. If I can just try and get more comfortable with its flaws, I think I'll look forward to seeing where this goes.

Favourite line thus far, from the always popular "sinner priest" character: "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"
    Last edited by DarkForge; 8th Nov 2012 at 17:09.

Knows his stuff
    Haha, I'd totally forgotten about all the complaints I had earlier in this thread. Yeah, Jericho certainly had it's share of flaws. Nevertheless, I have vaguely fond memories of it. Especially playing as the samuraichick. Her weapons and powers were really badass, even feeling slightly overpowered compared to some of the other characters.

this thread makes me want to go replay it again. I've have a newer videocard now, I wonder if getting it to work in Surround would be difficult. When it boils down. It's the shooting that kept me coming back.

I clicked on this thread still thinking it was Call of Juarez.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Despite being a post-Halo game and having supernatural elements, it's still a Tactical FPS. Games in that genre rarely have jump for obvious reasons (eg soldiers don't bunnyhop around), mantling is usually used instead.

I got it because Clive Barker wrote the story. The story and athmosphere aren't bad at all but the gameplay is unfortunately.
    But the story was good enough for me to ignore the flaws so i guess the game was ok.