TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: What should I do for the release ?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finish both missions

25 23.15%
  • Finish Rocksbourg 4 first

83 76.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preview : Rocksbourg 5

L'architecte de Rocksbourg

Preview : Rocksbourg 5

Here is the deal. At first Rocksbourg 4 is meant to be a 2 missions pack. Thing is, I'll split it in 2 different zip files, to allow players to play the second mission without having to go through its first part.

So, Rocksbourg 4 mission 2, becomes Rocksbourg 5.

Believe it or not, you're actually looking at an OM : Shipping and receiving.

I took the original mission as a base, and I'm entirely remaking it. It allows me to work faster as I just have to modify and complete an existing mission, and it's a different way to work on dromed for me. Compared to the chaotic development of Rocksbourg 4, this feels like fresh and easy work. I needed it.

Now big question : what should I do for the release ?
    As it was a 2 missions pack, Rocksbourg 4 might feel bland without its second part. So I have 2 options :

- Finish both Rocksbourg 4 and 5, and release them at the same time. Problem, it'll take time before the release...

- Finish Rocksbourg 4 first, release it, then off to Rocksbourg 5. By doing so, the end of Rocksbourg 4 might feel frustrating or pointless I dunno, as these missions are meant to be played in a row. But if I focus on Rocksbourg 4, its release should be during 2012 (FINALLY !).

Wat do ?

DromEd Archmage
    It is a great piece of news.
    So, what I'm thinking?
    Well, It is a good idea to reload an original mission, yes. Making two mission in the same time could be a good thing of my point of view.

I advice you to continue Rocksbourg4, when you'll be tired to do it, so, you continue rocksbourg5.
    When you can't stand to continue Rocksbourg5, you continue R4 etc.

In fact, I suggest you to take the two paths in the same time.
    Then, try to finish R4 first, and if you are tired a moment, then, work on R5.

Bon, puisque j'en ai assez de chercher mes mots, je te redit tout ça en français.
    Alors, travaille à fond sur Rocksbourg 4 à fond et lorsque t'en a assez, tu travailles sur R5, et tu retourneras sur R4 quand tu en auras assez plus tard. Ca rend toujours plus efficace.
    Au pire, tu trafiques l'histoire pour dire que R5 est avant R4.
    C'est toi le boss! Moi je conseille. Si tu as besoin d'objets en 3D, je peux en faire pour toi entre temps. Pour l'hallebardier, faudra attendre, motion workshop n'est pas très pratique, mais ça va.
    Je te souhaite bonne chance!

I can't comment because I don't do a whole lot of playing so I sadly haven't gotten myself to play through your other (from what I hear, fantastic) missions.

I just wanted to pop in to offer a big "WOW!" to the unique, dark, gritty (slimy), mossy look of your mission! I love it!

Too bad you're not releasing it for the Reloaded contest. You'd probably win.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMage View Post
    I advice you to continue Rocksbourg4, when you'll be tired to do it, so, you continue rocksbourg5.
    When you can't stand to continue Rocksbourg5, you continue R4 etc.
    Actually that's what I've been doing for the past months

Thing is I feel like it never ends, and people keep asking me when it's gonna be released. So it depends on you taffers. What do you want me to do ?

Pour l'hallebardier te prends pas la tête, j'en ai pas vraiment l'utilité. Ce serait un joli bonus mais j'ai pas vraiment pensé à comment l'integrer à la mission, donc si il n'y ait pas c'est pas bien grave, ça va pas changer fondamentalement la mission.
    Par contre si t'es chaud, plus tard j'aurai des objets à te faire faire, surtout des groupements d'objets existants pour economiser en ressources

scarykitties, I won't have enough time to do it for the contest...

I don't know how I feel about using Shipping and Receiving as a base level (because I hate this mission), but holy fuck, those screens look good!
    I'd say finish Rocksbourg 4 first, but heh you can do whatever you want.

Your missions are without a doubt at the top of my favorite list so what ever and when ever you decide will be OK with me! I actually voted to release 4 first so I would at least get one this year!!

Thank you for your dedication Drk!!

What great news! I love your missions .
    I've recently replayed them

My thoughts on this: If you work on R4 and R5 off and on, so they'll be finished at the same time: release them both.
    But if you finish R4 first, then release it with a note mentioning that the end probably makes no sence, but that R5 will also be released after a while.

The film Lord of the Rings has also such a moment on the end of the first part. I made no sense at that time, but part 2 was definately a sequel of part 1.

Need a betatester ??? ......

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    - Finish Rocksbourg 4 first, release it, then off to Rocksbourg 5. By doing so, the end of Rocksbourg 4 might feel frustrating or pointless I dunno, as these missions are meant to be played in a row.
    I know Eshaktaar went through this same dilemma for the 2 missions in Broken Triad. I think you have to make a decision based on how congruent the missions are. In the case of BT, mission 2 starts almost exactly where misison 1 ends, so I think it would have been awkward if they were released a year apart. The player would no doubt forget little details that in the game world had only just occurred.

However, if it's just a continuing story (like Darkstone Gems or some of Haplo's recent missions), then I'd say go ahead and release #4 whenever it's ready.

I don't know! So I think I'll go and have a glass of wine with my bath and think about it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I don't know! So I think I'll go and have a glass of wine with my bath and think about it for a while.
    Cheers Nickie

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............

It doesn't really matter to me either way... I'm just happy to get another mission from you! But if I had to choose, I would prefer both at the same time. I don't mind waiting for something that is bound to be great.

Archivist
    Oh wow, I love those screens DrK Amazing work once again. Love the feel and texturing of the place.

I voted "Finish Rocksbourg 4 first". By releasing part 4 once it's ready, you receive exactly the motivation and support you need to finish part 5. And personally I wouldn't mind and open or abrupt ending, as it makes even more anxious to play the next part. Who dares to get frustrated after playing something like this.

Glad you're still dromEding, taffer .

Finish 4 first and make sure to end it with a cliffhanger that leaves everyone both angry and excited. Then make a cool intro to 5 that sums up 4. Easy.

I can't wait

The missions would make more sense, from what you're saying released together. We'd have to replay 4 when 5 comes out, not that its a problem, no, but, I'd prefer doing both at the same time. Oh that will make for one hellavu beta test.

Hear is a thought, get 4 almost done, let it go through testing, back up which is the longer mission? Get 4 done, let it go through testing, finish up 5. You know it will have to be tweaked, the testers can take their time with it. It will also be something new for you, get feedback, it will be a breath of fresh air into the mission, and most likely you too, just a thought.
    Last edited by BrokenArts; 18th Feb 2012 at 22:12.

Clearinghouse
    Around 70% polling - Rocksbourg 4 first.

Oh heck, once I wipe the drool off my keyboard I will be ready to play 4. I want it now! I get too twitchy waiting for a long release. That way you can devote your time to 5 whilst we play your R4. I will probably play 4 twice, again when the release time is near for R5.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    You know it will have to be tweaked, the testers can take their time with it. It will also be something new for you, get feedback, it will be a breath of fresh air into the mission, and most likely you too, just a thought.
    Yeah....just a thought ....about testing ...... betatesting I mean .... I mean: I for instance ... THE CREEP

+ + =

Rocksbourg 4 should be the first!

According to the poll most taffers don't want to wait. "Garrett" himself doesn't want to wait

At first with R4, mission 1 was a road to mission 2. Just imagine life of the party being split in 2 parts, the city and Angelwatch. That was the idea somehow.
    Comes to think of it, LGS did an awesome work to include all this stuff in only one mission...

Now I've been thinking about how to modify R4, I may have an idea to make it live as an independant mission with a couple objectives, a lil twist in the story to make the plot a tad deeper, some hidden bonus objectives... Not just a run from point A to point B.
    I'm thinking about a cliffhanger to end it, but it's gonna be difficult.

And R5 will start precisely where R4 ended, but I don't think it would be a problem. After all, the whole campaign happens in 1 single night, and all missions are supposed to be played in a row.

Gloria, you'll betatest it, no worry.

I think I agree that I would love to play the 4th installment when it's ready. It would just be a good incentive to replay it right before Mission 5 is released to make sure I remember all the details. (If you need another betatester when the time comes, put me on the list! I love your missions!)

Those screenshots are stunning and I never would have guessed you used an OM as a base for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    ...Those screenshots are stunning and I never would have guessed you used an OM as a base for them!
    Exactly what I was thinking too. Great work as usual DrK.

It's difficult for me to decide. . I'll be happy either way but I know that I'll be even more happy if both missions were released together. Unless. . .how long do you think it will take to finish both? If it's gonna be later than 2012 then I would say just release 4 first.

Either way, this is great news and I'm super-excited!

Ooh, looks promising!!! Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I think I agree that I would love to play the 4th installment when it's ready. It would just be a good incentive to replay it right before Mission 5 is released to make sure I remember all the details. (If you need another betatester when the time comes, put me on the list! I love your missions!)

Those screenshots are stunning and I never would have guessed you used an OM as a base for them!
    I second that. I don't mind replaying a good mission especially if it's something like Rocksbourg.
    Looking forward to it and available to test whenever.