TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456712172227323742 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Is this compatible with the minimalist project?

Zombified

no anomalies detected. looking pretty awesome, I would say.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 16th Apr 2012 at 09:31.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks for the screenshots - amazing level of detail there...

@Boxsmith: Not quite compatible. It will run just fine, and the minimal HUD is the same (more or less, IIRC picked-up items are placed differently). And you'll need JohnP's textures to get rid of 'atomic frob' etc. The loot percentage will be back, and if you use the custom menu then the text will be misaligned in widescreen. But it's easy to uninstall the Upgrade, so you can just try it out if you want.

The next version will proably have a tweak for the loot percentage, and if I can get the video cropping fixed, then the menu should work too.

Zombified
    one small note - the machine had no internet connectivity, that means the automatic exe download has failed, and I had to look around for a minute to find out what file I need. perhaps the installer could display the filename (or manual download link) if the auto download fails..

I just finished playing "The House of Widow Moira" mission.
    Everything works great with this new patch, no problems. Except a blinking textures bug in some NPC's hair (random bug).

But this might be an incompatibility with Windows 7 64-bits as I never noticed this problem with Win7 32-bits. (regular edition, not the minimalist project).

Blinking textures/surfaces and problems with transparency are usually the game's and not caused by the patch. Maybe the higher resolution makes it more obvious. In general there are a few flickers in TDS missions caused by two different textures on one layer and NPC hair is a complicated thing anyway.

Sorry, I didn't ment it was the patch's doing. I know it's a game bug under Win7 64-bits.

I'm told that this will be taken care of in a future patch, but I couldn't get it to work until I used IMAGECFG to set the processor affinity to a single core.

Sneaky Upgrader
    ...on T3.exe, right? As you told me, T3Main.exe inherits the affinity when it's launched by T3.exe, so that way both will run on the same core.

And yes, the next version of the installer will offer to fix it.

A word of warning, I use Firefox as my default browser and I had lots of grief downloading the Installation program. Then the installer got permanently stuck trying to download temp.7z and I had to abort.

Switched to Internet Explorer as the default browser and the installation worked a treat.
    Did a quick test and Widescreen on Windows 7 64 bit looks fine.

Thanks

Now all I have to do is get Garretloader working!

This is all part of my campaign to Ghost the Thief series - a whole new playing style for me.
    For the first run through I'm doing not too bad. Too many alerts and missing loads of loot, but playing to a loot list/walkthrough spoils the enjoyment of exploring.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
    ... but playing to a loot list/walkthrough spoils the enjoyment of exploring.
    I agree. Not only that, it isn't allowed when ghosting. If you're new to ghosting, you might want to check out the Eidos ghosting threads if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    I agree. Not only that, it isn't allowed when ghosting. If you're new to ghosting, you might want to check out the Eidos ghosting threads if you haven't already.
    Yes, read the rules and not using a walkthrough is the least of my ghosting problems.
    My main busts are no second stage alerts (rule 4). Also the odd no damage given (rule 2) for example using a Gas arrow on Cavador's guards and getting past fire Elementals. Not to mention ratmen with bionic hearing that I never noticed before. Spiders used to be easy-peasy, just a broadhead did the trick.

Back on topic, no problems going through the training mission. Much easier than the previous widescreen fix and no dual core worries. Again thanks to the OP

Dave

Thank you for this widescreen and tweaks patch. It works great on Windows 7 64bit at 1920 x 1080.

Sneaky Upgrader
    You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

@Dave_C: Good that you got it working. I don't know what could cause a specific default browser to be required. I have Firefox as default too, and never had problems downloading.

Great Patcher!

Thank you very much for this new modder/patcher utlity. It's wonderful to see new handy programs developed for this old game nowadays. Just by coincidence I've decided now to install Thief 3 and finding this recent tool made my day.

I had no clue and was wandering how to apply the additional tweaks that come with the patch then I figured out it is probably meant only via editing SneakyUpgrade.ini file. However I've found no mention about this anywhere in the thread or the file and it would by fine to have it covered.

I'm looking forward to see this utility developing even further, maybe some more tweaks and GUI or tick boxes in installer.

Sneaky Upgrader
    You're right, that was not very clear. I've added a comment about the ini file in the first post.

The next version is in the making, quite a few things will be fixed, though most of them are mainly important for triple-landscape display modes. But more tweaks, surely.
    With summer approaching it's going to take a few months before it's ready.

T:DS Tweaker compatibility issue

Is it possible that this patch prevents TS Tweaker to set custom color for frobbing? Collective Texture Pack is able to change frobbing.

Also after applying Minimalist patch the frobbing is set for custom colors and then the Tweaker is able to alter the colours but I don't wish to use all Minimalist changes in the first place.

I've used Widescreen patch before and the Tweaker was able to change the colors of frobbing. It seems as if SneakyUpgrade prevents Tweaker to apply the setting. Can anybody confirm?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by miracle.freak View Post
    Is it possible that this patch prevents TDS Tweaker to set custom color for frobbing?
    What happens is that Myagi's patcher (launched by TDS Tweaker) doesn't recognize T3Main.exe when the Sneaky Upgrade has been applied. And vice versa...

Luckily there's an easy fix: Edit: Which has been removed, because while it worked for the frob colour, it would mess up your exe if you used it to remove the loot percentage.
    There's a new version of Myagi's patcher in the making, which will be able to handle all the different versions of T3Main.exe.

Collective Texture Pack is able to change frobbing.
    That's probably the better way. IIRC, Myagi's fix has some side effects? (things looking weird different, things becoming unfrobbable, instability).
    Edit: Those issues appear to be myth, so I'll make sure that the next version of the Upgrade supports this frob colour tweak. Together with the videotexture cropping issue being fixed, that means that compatibility with the Minimalist Project will be much better.
    Last edited by snobel; 30th May 2012 at 15:24.

Thanks for the tip.. that did the trick.

Now I have the opposite problem. After finding out that changing color of the frob really breaks frobability of some items I am unable to revert back... The button Restore in Tweaker does nothing. I've tried uninstalling and installing texture pack again.. nothing.. uninstalling Tweaker itself did not revert the changes either. But that's not on the topic of this thread anymore I guess.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks for the tip.. that did the trick.
    I hope you didn't remove the loot percentage? (See the edit in the post above.) If you did, better reinstall the Sneaky Upgrade, or restore a backup of the exe by other means, to get rid of possible corruption.

Now I have the opposite problem. After finding out that changing color of the frob really breaks frobability of some items I am unable to revert back...
    Is it your own observation that the frob fix breaks frobbing? If you only got it from my post I apologize. I got that from some old posts here, but I have it on good authority (Myagi, who has played through all of the game using his own patch) that the only issue is that some stuff, like crystals, is looking different.

The button Restore in Tweaker does nothing.
    I can't tell you why, but you should be able to get rid of the changes by just uninstalling and reinstalling the Sneaky Upgrade. When the new version of Myagi's patcher is out, you can try patching it again in a safe way.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    I hope you didn't remove the loot percentage? (See the edit in the post above.) If you did, better reinstall the Sneaky Upgrade, or restore a backup of the exe by other means, to get rid of possible corruption.
    I did not remove loot percentage.

I can't tell you why, but you should be able to get rid of the changes by just uninstalling and reinstalling the Sneaky Upgrade. When the new version of Myagi's patcher is out, you can try patching it again in a safe way.
    Hallellujah. Frob is restored after using your magical installer/uninstaller. One note on that. Though identifying a need to download original t3main.exe is very neat I have concern that in the longer time being the file won't be available over net which would make the patcher obsolete. Would it be an issue to have the original t3main.exe available directly in the patcher pack to avoid net risks?

Is it your own observation that the frob fix breaks frobbing?
    The testing of T3 is becoming more and more frustrating and strange. So I thought Tweaker broke frobbing on certain items. After escaping Shalesbridge Cradle and following ghost to catacombs I've found a coffin of some architect. A skeleton is holding a parchment of map. Neither the map nor the sign on the casket could be frobbed. There is also a room looking like a kitchen and there's a ring hidden under one grate. This ring could not be frobbed either. So I've restored frob to find out the frob is not working on these items still.

EDIT: Then I've uninstalled frob tweak from Collective texture pack and this didn't fix frob issue but I've observed a noticable boost in performance.

After that I've removed also your patch and texture pack altogeter and all possible tweaks just to find out these items still could not be frobbed. Strange enough I remember exactly I've frobbed these items without any problems like two days ago. Wanna more? Introducing this issue I've noticed one other issue just disappeared. T'was an issue of Garrett floating one inch above ground after some unsuccessful jump leading to slide down on the surface. Garrett could not jump anymore in this floating state although after some trying to jump over uneven terrain his walking state could be restored along with jumping. To test disappearance of this bug I've loaded the start of Shalebridge Cradle mission in this cleaned install. There's a fountain on the left with three water crystals. Unsuccessful jump over the fountain was supposed to reproduce float bug. T'was confirmed fixed after my last testing. However none of the three crystals could be taken! Now I'd like to trade off float fix for working frobs.

EDIT2: I wanted to point out that in my case in Resolution Options I don't get aspect ratio like 16:10 but 1.78 and such - screenie
    Last edited by miracle.freak; 30th May 2012 at 17:50.

Taffing around I've uninstalled T3 altogether and deleted all files left behind to start over with clean install. Here's testing results:

1. Clean install - frob working everywhere, floating bug reproduced so this battle lost from the start
    2. SneakyUpdate installed in default conf - frob still working fully
    3. Applied additional tweaking of SneakyUpdate - all working fine
    4. Collective Textures along with frob tweak - all working still
    5. DS Tweaker installed and reconfigured - all working
    6. changing FrobBiasRaycastType=2 in default.ini to FrobBiasRaycastType=3
    ;3 => Create unique triangles for each object and extrude by their
    ; frob bias * normal (most memory, most accurate, slowest)
    frobbing broken on certain items in certain places

mystery solved

Just to make it clear: The frobbing highlight can be altered by hacking ini files, but the actual frobbing of an object is set within every single TDS map file. If an object cannot be frobbed at all (or nothing happens when it's done etc.), it is due to some properties and/or scripts in the map. It would be groundbreaking if changing ini files would interfere with the map's functions.

Sneaky Upgrader
    The new version of Myagi's patcher is out! A big thank you to Myagi for getting this sorted out so quickly. This update will work with every known version of T3Main.exe, including the editor version.

Get it here. To use it with TDS Tweaker you have to copy it into the T3Tweak folder and rename it to MyagiPatcher.exe.

6. changing FrobBiasRaycastType=2 in default.ini to FrobBiasRaycastType=3
    frobbing broken on certain items in certain places
    mystery solved
    Thanks for clearing that up, it may be the source of the confusion about the frob tweak breaking frobbing.

I wanted to point out that in my case in Resolution Options I don't get aspect ratio like 16:10 but 1.78 and such
    Yes, working in assembler I wanted to keep things simple. It might improve in the future, as I'm moving the bulk of the code into a C++ dll.
    I thought I had avoided having the resolution text break into two lines, but I guess not. Which resolution were you running in that screenshot? Do you remember if you'd used alt+tab or alt+enter before?

The button Restore in Tweaker does nothing.
    This seems to be a bug in TDS Tweaker, it doesn't launch Myagi's patcher in that case. But you can copy Myagi's patcher into the System folder and run it manually, then it will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    It would be groundbreaking if changing ini files would interfere with the map's functions.
    Well, it's not unthinkable that changing the FrobBiasRaycastType parameter would enable an alternative (and untested and buggy) codepath?

A word of warning, I use Firefox as my default browser and I had lots of grief downloading the Installation program. Then the installer got permanently stuck trying to download temp.7z and I had to abort.

Switched to Internet Explorer as the default browser and the installation worked a treat.
    I'm also stuck with temp.7z, it just brings up a warning saying it couldn't be downloaded (even after setting IE to default browser from firefox), is the host down, or is temp.7z hosted elsewhere for download?

Chief

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456712172227323742 ... LastLast