awesome, will reinstall my game and post results
thank you, thank you, thank you.
The patch contains various bugfixes and game improvements such as widescreen support, and provides some GUI tweaks. It also enables the use of the FMSel FM loader frontend with Thief 3 and bundles the most important T3 mods. It works with the GOG and Steam versions of the game.
Original game bugs and issues that have been fixed or improved:
- Multicore fix prevents the intro video from looping. Can be switched off for better performance (when it works)
- New missions and restarted missions will use your chosen difficulty instead of Normal/Easy
- The City sections are now played on your chosen difficulty instead of always being on Normal
- Frame rate and refresh rate limiting fixes broken lockpicking, ladder climbing and wall flattening
- Some speed-up of level loading, especially with vsync on
- Fix for the desktop being visible during level loading on Vista and up
- The game will no longer crash when binding an analogue controller through the keybinds screen
- Fix for controller axes sometimes being set up reverted
- Fix for a crash that could happen when using the game's multisampling option
- Fix for the mouse freezing or becoming invisible when using large font size settings in Windows
- Fix for the vsync (and possibly brightness) settings not working on Windows 10
- All resolutions reported by the system, plus an optional custom display mode, are available from the options screen. The aspect ratio is shown as well
- In widescreen the horizontal view is extended, instead of cropping off the top and bottom
- The field-of-view can be specified by the user. The setting will work with both the original game and fanmissions, with existing savegames and with missions which use scripted FOV changes. FOV adjustment includes the mechanical eye and bow zoom
- The HUD and menus are shown correctly, regardless of resolution and aspect ratio. In 3-monitor modes, the HUD can be constricted to the center monitor
- The main menu and loading screens are shown correctly, at 4:3 aspect. The proper movies, which are letterboxed, are allowed to crop to fit the monitor (up to 16:9)
- Take screenshots with descriptive file names, and automatically with savegames
- XBox360-type gamepads are working, the triggers are mapped to buttons. Support for up to 16 gamepad buttons using modifiers. Mouse and escape key emulation
- Run the game on a display other than the primary
- Multiple quick saves, quick load the most recent save
As an FM loader, the emphasis is on ease of use and reliability:
- Easy to set up – besides this patch there is nothing to install or configure
- The contents of your game installation folder are never changed. (GarrettLoader has a habit of messing up your installation)
- Works even if the game is installed in Program Files
- Automatically installs custom conversations. (Used in the FM All the World's a Stage)
- Fixes for crash on save and crash on exit in certain FMs, and for the mechanical eye zoom not working in many FMs
- Fix for the in-game loot list showing wrong values and total in certain FMs
- The FMSel supplied with the installer is slightly improved over the NewDark version
Additionally some optional tweaks have been incorporated:
- Mirror and/or scale down the main HUD
- Scale down loading screen text
- Minor HUD and GUI tweaks: Remove loading screen tips, mechanical eye overlay, main menu version text, "Nothing" texts, loot percentage, purple fog, 'bouncing arrows', junk item flashing and the lockpicking HUD
- Alternative background modes for the readable/map and pause screens
- Better mouse response and removed motion blur, adjust mouse sensitivity
- More realistic physics, gravity multiplier
- Scale the difficulty up or down. (Can be set to zero for a 'notarget' cheat)
- Disable auto-raising of the blackjack and dagger
- Reduce or remove headbobbing
- No switch to third person in death
- Classic speed (walk by default, run qualifier) and a speed multiplier
- Decrease or increase the ambient fog or ambient light in any level
- Human-readable savegame folder names
- Borderless windowed mode
All tweaks are disabled by default.
The full edition includes the mods The Minimalist Project, The Collective Texture Pack (a.k.a. John P), "GarrAT" Garrett Animation Tweaks, Thief 3 Gold and Briefing Videos. Please see those threads or the included readme files for more information. The update edition only includes the SU patch and the SneakyTweaker tool. It provides a much smaller download in cases where the mods are unchanged since the last release.
Current release 1.1.8: Full (mirror) - Update (mirror) - readme - release post
Previous releases can be found here. Please report it if you find that an older version works for you, while the current version doesn't.
- It's recommended to reboot before installation, especially for the full edition
- It's also recommended to disable the virus checker during installation
- Advanced users should consult the list of additional installation options in the readme
- Execute the installer
- After installation, run the original game once and select your preferred resolution in the Options screen. (The patched game uses a private setting for the resolution)
- Steam users should read Additional notes below
- Run the SneakyTweaker tool for setting up tweaks and mods
The installer will set up a start menu group with shortcuts to the readmes, the options folder, installed FMs folder etc. By default it will also create three icons on your desktop: A yellow glyph icon for the original game, a cyan version for the fan mission selector and a green version for the SneakyTweaker tool.
The patch has its own configuration file, SneakyOptions.ini. Normally this should be changed only through the tweak tool, but for advanced options manual editing is necessary. In that case it can be found through the Sneaky Upgrade start menu group (in Local Folders).
Beginner's quick start guide to playing FMs using the FMSel loader frontend: (To play using GL, just make sure GL is installed before installing the Sneaky Upgrade.)
- Create a folder for downloaded FMs in a neutral location. A subfolder of your Downloads folder will do
- Go to a site which hosts Thief 3 FMs, and download some into that folder
- Start FMSel through the cyan desktop icon.
- A dialog will ask for the FM archive path. Select the folder from above
- The FMSel window will now show the titles of the downloaded FMs. Right-click an entry and select View Info File to see the FM's readme
- To start the mission, click Play FM (or Start FM if you're ready for a full play-through)
- See the FMSel readme for more detailed information
The patch expects an original installation, the original T3UI.ini in particular. Existing tweaks may or may not be compatible.
It's not necessary to install the official 1.1 patch before installing the SU.
Steam users should disable updates for the game and refrain from doing game cache validation, because it would remove the patch. Be sure to run the game once prior to installation, otherwise the game's registry values may not be set. As a work-around to get the overlay working, add the patched game as a non-Steam game. (Browse to the Steam install and select the Thief3.exe file.)
If you want to use TDS Tweaker to change frob colour, then you have to get this updated version of Myagi's patcher. Copy it into the T3Tweak folder and rename it MyagiPatcher.exe. It's recommended to use the built-in tweak instead of TDS Tweaker to remove the loot percentage.
If you have existing savegames, and they appear to have gone missing after installing the patch, then chances are that your SaveGamePath registry value is set to a location in your private user folder. (The original default path is in your Documents folder). Such paths are diverted to the public Documents folder for the unpatched game, but not anymore after patching. Either locate the new folder and move your savegames there, or edit your registry to use the old path. Also note that Thief 3 Gold will use a separate folder for savegames, since original saves are not compatible.
There are a few known issues - nothing major, though. There is a list in the readme. Hopefully they will be fixed in a future version.
Tester hall of fame: Abysmal, fortuni, Maruchin, Linda, noblehelm, Cigam, mensch, AluminumHaste, Depili, Kerrle, decayedmatter, DJ Riff, lowenz, Lolwutman, Corsair, bikerdude, Beleg Cúthalion, Child Of Karras, gnartsch, chrish, Pheonix, PsymH, Hiatus, tolsen64, Xarg, Zaratul, voodoo47, Lord Soth, scavvenjahh, scarcow and TreyM
This patch builds on previous fixes and ideas etc. from the following sources: massimilianogoi, tolsen64, Hadley, NotCarolKaye, daremo, Xiaopang, New Horizon, Pheonix, Kerrle, lolwutman, swaaye and UCyborg...
A huge thanks goes to le Corbeau for NewDark and FMSel, to John P, New Horizon, Beleg Cúthalion and mensch for permission to include their mods, and to the FMSel translators: gnartsch (German), Briareos H (French) and raven4444 (Polish).
Thanks also to clearing, Lord Soth and Esme for file mirrors.
Here's the slightly improved options screen at 16:9 aspect ratio, and an example of the smaller, better looking loading screen text in Thief 3 Gold:
Here's the same scene at various aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9 and 16:3 (3-monitor) with the HUD on the center monitor:
It also works in portrait modes (as 'vert+'), although the HUD looks a little weird:
FOV examples: 80 %, 100 % (default) and 125 %
HUD tweaking examples: Mirrored, scaled to 50 %, scaled to 75 % and mirrored
awesome, will reinstall my game and post results
thank you, thank you, thank you.
@Snobel, apologies for not getting back to you for testing, I never got to borrow the ati card from a buddy in the end.
Contrats on the release :-)
@Bikerdude-in-reverse: Thanks - and no problem, there were enough testers as you can see. Xarg did the 3-monitor test.
Look awesome, thanks! Will come in handy while testing new FMs and stuff
Tested, and it's working great. Thank you!
One thing, when loading missions, game goes to desktop and gets back to the game again (due to widescreen fix). Is there a way to avoid this or there is no way around it ?
If that's how it has to work, no problem. I read somewhere else that you could try to enable the "Disable Desktop Composition" in the "compatibility" mode, but it didn't work.
Another nice news is that Creative Alchemy is now working as it should (wasn't working before) and I can enable EAX by hardware now
Intel Core I7 2600 3.4GHz
eVGA GeForce GTX 570-HD 2560MB
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS sound card with 5.1 speakers system
Monitor 16:9 with FullHD res (1920x1080)
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bits
for Thief 3:
Creative Alchemy for Audigy 2 cards to enable EAX
John P.'s high res textures
Unprotected .exe files from T3 editor
Thanks again for this great patch.
@Judith: You're welcome, one of the reasons I started this was because I wanted to play the Cabal in proper widescreen. "New FMs and stuff" sounds promising
Hmm, I can't reproduce that, I always get a black screen. It doesn't happen with the original? Maybe it depends on graphics drivers etc? (I have ATI graphics on the machine I just tried it on.)One thing, when loading missions, game goes to desktop and gets back to the game again (due to widescreen fix). Is there a way to avoid this or there is no way around it ?
It must be working with the original exe too, yes? If it works only with the patched version, then it's... interestingAnother nice news is that Creative Alchemy is now working as it should (wasn't working before) and I can enable EAX by hardware now
I tried enabling "Disable Desktop Composition" on compatibility mode, and I get the black screen instead of going into the desktop. No problem, I can deal with it. I'm so happy the game is finally working with widescreen res
huh, negative. With original files or the editor files, Alchemy simply does not work (no EAX special effects).Originally Posted by snobel
Alchemy works fine for GTA: San Andreas and GTA Vice City though.
Only with your patch, it started to work properly.
for me the behaviour is the same for the original EXE and the patched one:
When e.g. loading a mission, the games shows my desktop and then the game comes up again.
AMD Athlon II X4 640, NVidia 460 GTX, Windows 7 64bit
A big BIG "thanks" to you!
I have not been able to play thief 3 for years.It just crashed and wouldnt run on my modern pc.Thanx for this patch ,it runs sweet and looks great.
You're welcome. It's a bit of a pleasant surprise when it makes stuff work for people
Edited the first post to add confirmation that the Upgrade works with the Steam version too.
Btw, Thief 3 is € 4.99 on Steam this weekend
Awesome, just bought my first 16:9 monitor a few weeks ago and was kind of bummed I couldn't get T3 running in that aspect ratio. Thanks for this util.
Thanks! Much appreciated.
I'm having trouble with this. You say it needs an unmodified T3UI.ini, but I can't remember what changes have been made to my copy and there's no backup. I went through and commented or uncommented various settings in it to no avail.
What happens usually is the intro movie is repeatedly being restarted. If the movie doesn't show up, the menu animations are choppy and prone to freezing.
It may be because I have the Sold Out version. Other patches, like the nocd patch, have failed to work for me before.
Interesting... Please see PM.
I really don't deserve the credit - did play with the files for a bit, but did not really report anything. wanted to redeem myself by doing a full eyefinity test, but the hardware was not ready 'till today.
will post here if I find something worth interest.
Just for your info. First, I want to thank you for this patch. I had steam version installed and it ran good except that I could not get pm loaded. I used steam to uninstall their version and dug out my original retail version.
Installed retail version and used t3.exe from T3 editor for no cd. Installed 1.1 patch, garrettloader. Game ran good in 1024x768 resolution. Ran the POV and the widescreen.exe patches.
Installed Cabal Campaign and it ran good except that the objectives were not showing on objective screen.
Searched for solution and was advised to use t3main.exe from the garretloader directory
Worked great but my widescreen was gone, ran widescreen.exe again and it said that I had the wrong t3main.exe and it would not let me change back to widescreen.
I was stuck looking at a small screen 1024x768. If I tried higher resolutions the game would crash at load screen.
Then I tried your sneakypatch without changing anything else. It worked and I was able to set resolution in options to my native resolution 1366x768.
Cabel Furious Flames is so far running great and showing objectives.
Thank you, Thank you, pete
Toshiba Satellite M645 laptop 14" screen
i5-2410M 2.30 GHz
64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium Service pack 1
Nvida GeForce GT 525M Video
@voodoo47: Eyefinity screenshots would be welcome.
@Pete67: Thanks for the feedback.
If you've used the old T3FOVPatch.exe on the original game, then you'd better run it again and reset the aspect ratio to 4:3 - if you haven't already. Otherwise you'll get widescreen compensation twice. (FMs are not affected, because the changes made by T3FOVPatch are in the .ibt mission files.)
I don't want to move this thread as it seems to apply to playing T3 FMs but I think you should also post it on the Thief Series General Discussion Forum as not everyone visits here who wants to play T3.
I've cleaned up the first post a bit and posted a short version in both Thief Gen and Legacy Gaming, pointing here. That should do it, I hope.