TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Grimrock - new UW styled game

Grimrock - new UW styled game

Ok, comparing this to UW might be a bit of a stretch, but it's good to see another 1st person dungeon romp make another appearance. Judging by the videos, it appears to be more of a hack and slash type of affair rather than a deep CRPG but still could turn out to be a pretty decent game.

What is Legend of Grimrock?
    • Old-school dungeon crawling game inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld.
    • Explore a vast dungeon riddled with hidden switches, pressure plates, sliding walls, trapdoors and more.
    • Discover secrets, cast spells with runes and craft potions with herbs.
    • Fight murderous monsters and seek lost artifacts in ancient tombs.
    • Create a party of four characters and customize them with different races, classes, skills and traits.

A group of prisoners are sentenced to certain death by exiling them to the secluded Mount Grimrock for vile crimes they may or may not have committed. Unbeknownst to their captivators, the mountain is riddled with ancient tunnels, dungeons and tombs built by crumbled civilizations long perished now. If they ever wish to see daylight again and reclaim their freedom the ragtag group of prisoners must form a team and descend through the mountain, level by level.
    http://www.grimrock.net/
    Last edited by twisty; 28th Mar 2012 at 09:15.

Administrator
    You've got a slight typo in your title, twisty (unless it was intentional ). I also don't see it having the depth of the Underworld games, but I did enjoy the old-school 90 degree dungeon crawlers and this looks like a nice modern take on them.

Fixed

Preordered right away. I had a very similar idea of a modern-looking dungeon crawler with an old-school controlling scheme several years ago and then pondered how much potential a game like this would have. I guess we shall see now. I played (and completed) Dungeon Master only recently, and I must say it holds up pretty well.

The pre-order goodies contain a graph paper template if you are hardcore enough to draw your own maps. There is also a world map which confuses me a bit; as far as I am aware the whole game takes place in that prison mountain, and there is no outdoor exploration like in Lands of Lore. In any case, looking forward to the release.

Just saw this. Looks awesome. I'm getting it.

Reminds me of the older days of Might and Magic. like M&M 2: Gates to another world, or the Genesis D&D title "Warriors of the Eternal Sun"

I loved both games. This is gonna be good.

First impressions: WTF is Legend of Grimrock

It looks like they've really nailed the concept.

Be careful of those minimum requirements. Especially the half-gig of video RAM.

Minimum:
    CPU: Dual Core 2GHz Intel or 2.8GHz AMD
    Memory: 2GB
    Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported). Minimum supported resolutions 1280720 and 1024768.
    DirectX: 9.0c
    Disk Space: 1GB

Administrator
    I've only played it a little, but with the shadows and occlusions scaled down a little it runs fine on my ION based netbook which only has an Atom based CPU.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Be careful of those minimum requirements. Especially the half-gig of video RAM.
    WTF? That's a low-end PC by today's standards. It might've been upper-mid range in 2006/early 2007, but definitely not now.

And I'm sure that some of the people who are old enough to have played Dungeon Master back in the day will be running a PC which is "low-end by today's standards". So yes, as minimum requirements for a game like this, they're worth mentioning.

Another good one in Dungeon-Master/EOB/Lands of Lore/Might and Magic/Wizardry 6&7-style (Orthogonal) is The Quest by Redshift Games.

It plays with the standard Orthogonal game format, but they've deepened the gameplay immensely; adding quests and a quest log ala later Elder Scrolls series. It's probably a few hundred hour game if you do everything. They have a free demo up on that page. It's worth checking out for any fan of that style of game from yesteryear. I have it on my iPhone and it's the only game there that I actually give a rat's ass about.

I hadn't heard of that game before. How does it work with combat? It looks like it might be little bit fiddley on an iPhone. It would be interesting to know if they've got any plans for an iPad version.

I'm sure it works just fine on the iPad. They're both the same OS, just with some slightly bumped up screen resolution and CPU specs on the iPad vs the iPhone. Worst-case-scenario is you see some pixelization (from the iPad scaling up the screen resolution from the original), which, given the values of the better part of the people on this forum, probably won't represent an issue.

Combat is handled similar to Eye of the Beholder where whatever weapon you have equipped is used through the Weapon/Attack icon. Same thing for magic :

With standard controls turned off for touch-drag movement :

Actually, nothing about that game is fiddley. It's all very well-handled for iPhone. The clicks are responsive and precise. It's got a ridiculous amount of depth for an iPhone game, especially with all the expansions.

If you have an iPad/iPhone try the Lite version for free. They have a pc demo also that I linked in my original post. Find out for yourself. Note, I am not a salesman for it. Just a fan that's happy to see old-school sensibilities make their way onto a modern platform.
    Last edited by Running_Wild; 22nd Sep 2012 at 04:00.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Running_Wild
    I'm sure it works just fine on the iPad. They're both the same OS, just with some slightly bumped up screen resolution and CPU specs on the iPad vs the iPhone. Worst-case-scenario is you see some pixelization (from the iPad scaling up the screen resolution from the original), which, given the values of the better part of the people on this forum, probably won't represent an issue.
    I just fired up the demo, and thought it was pretty decent. You get the usual upscaled pixelated not-quite-fullscreen look all iPhone apps running on the iPad have, but it doesn't hurt the game at all. If anything, the low res graphics kinda give an oldschool charm to it.

Plus playing it on a larger screen makes for a much better experience, in my opinion.

There is hardly any similiarity to Ultima Underworld, it's just a dungeon crawl, which can't be said about Ultima, which is more like early D&D with very interactive and dynamic megadungeon. I can't believe I'm saying this as old games enthusiast, but Grimrock is so backwards, there is no reason to use grid based movement and simplistic gameplay after Ultima managed to bring cRPG closely to real thing in such elegant way. Orcs and Elves at least had great athosphere/graphics.

Grimrock was never intended to be another UW game, but harkens back to an era where it would have fit in well with a lot of the games that it was inspired by.

I believe the first sentence in this thread captured the thrust of it.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Grimrock was never intended to be another UW game
    Very much indeed. For reasons unknown to me, they decided to make a game exactly like first Dungeon Master. Yet they advertise it as being similiar to Ultima Underworld. http://www.grimrock.net/buy/ "Old-school dungeon crawling game inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld."

They advertise it as being "inspired by" Ultima Underworld (among other, more similar games, which are mentioned first). That's not the same thing at all.

People draw inspiration from many sources, but that doesn't mean the end results of their efforts will be similar in most respects to every one of those sources (and nor could that even be possible when there are very significant differences between the games which are listed as inspiration).

I can't guarantee that it wasn't just a line intended to appeal to old-school gamers, but I also can't see any obvious reason to believe that it was.