TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Crazy Bugs in thief 2 game keeps saving on its own etc.Virus?

Crazy Bugs in thief 2 game keeps saving on its own etc.Virus?

I have been playing thief 2 for awhile now, currently I am on the "life of the party mission"
    I have the GOG version. But now the game completly messing up. The button to use a lock pic (the mouse button)
    no longer will work, so I cant unlock doors etc (it used to do this on occasion and I would restart the game and it would go away)
    but now it will work for about 2 mins of in game play then it stops again... Everytime I read a book or load a save file the game auto saves on its own. Or when I die the game auto saves.
    It keeps bringing things up on my inventory on its own as well.. I dont know what to do? My computer has been having some minor issues,
    for example my mouse curser as been moving on its own and somtimes flashing from visible to invisible.. Do you think this is a virus or a thief issue? I really want to beat the game =).
    Any advice?
    If its a virus or somthing of that nature what program would you reccomend to get rid of it?
    Any help is Greatly appreciated.

That can only be a virus I think. Try scanning your pc with your antivirus (e.g. AVG Free), then uninstall and reinstall T2

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    That can only be a virus I think. Try scanning your pc with your antivirus (e.g. AVG Free), then uninstall and reinstall T2
    Thanks sooo much for the reply =).
    Really? Well I guess thats better than having somthing technical wrong with the game.
    Can I do this without having to re install thief?
    If not how do I avoid loosing my save files?
    And thats the anti virus software you would reccomend? I dont have any right now.

You don't have an antivirus?! That's the first thing you need in a computer - not having an antivirus is like racing drunk without a seatbelt. I've been using AVG for years and it's great.
    If you want to keep your saves, go into your T2 directory, in the "saves" folder and copy the files in it to another directory before uninstalling.

I use the free version of Avast Antivirus and it's also great.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    You don't have an antivirus?! That's the first thing you need in a computer - not having an antivirus is like racing drunk without a seatbelt. I've been using AVG for years and it's great.
    If you want to keep your saves, go into your T2 directory, in the "saves" folder and copy the files in it to another directory before uninstalling.

Just be aware that the virus may be part of the saved files. If that is the case then you will have to do a complete delete of ALL thief files, including your saved games. Then run a virus cleaner and then re-install.

AVG free is pretty good. USE IT or some other.

Sounds more like possession than a virus, truth be told.

Quote Originally Posted by jay pettitt View Post
    Sounds more like possession than a virus, truth be told.
    lol.
    Should I call a priest?
    I just want it fixed =)
    Thanks for the help guys I will install the anti virus software and see if it fixes it, I am downloading it now.

Somone told me Panda is also good, which one do you think is better?

Review of 9 free antivirus.

I use Panda for an online scan occasionally. Although I use AVG Free, I also have Malwarebytes for occasional checking.

You should also have a Firewall. I'm now using the Windows firewall but I used to use ZoneAlarm free version. Review of best free firewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Review of 9 free antivirus.

I use Panda for an online scan occasionally. Although I use AVG Free, I also have Malwarebytes for occasional checking.

You should also have a Firewall. I'm now using the Windows firewall but I used to use ZoneAlarm free version. Review of best free firewalls.
    Thanks for all your help everyone I really apreciated it!
    I downloaded and used the free versions of Avast and scanned my computer and it says
    there are 0 infected files? So either the scan isnt picking it up or I am missing somthing.
    Any suggestions?

Have a go with Malwarebytes. Different types of programmes pick up different types of malware. But if Avast didn't pick up anything then maybe there isn't anything to get.

If you had the disc version I'd suggest copying your savegames to a stick, uninstalling, running Cleanup or similar and starting again.

Maybe contact GOG or see if anyone there is reporting similar?

Any updates to anything just before this started happening?

Or try a decent $#@** operating system in the first place.

...Ahem...

Anyways - it's not likely a virus, virusii don't often do that. It's unlikely but possible that it's some sort of trojan or other variety of malware - but it's a pretty stupid piece of malware if it is. (when I do feel an odd need to use Windows and turn my desk into a portal to a hideous free market and can't possibly imagine being able to plug in a USB stick without first needing to install some branding drivers, I use Microsoft's very own virus and malware checking softwares because that's the only one that isn't like inviting competing schools of double glazing salesmen to follow you around and have permanent access to your private life.)

It's much more likely to be a wayward peripheral (a sticky game controller or pen tablet thingy perhaps), something doing something funny via wireless or bluetooth that thinks it's a wayward peripheral or a loose connection or some such.

Alternatively, as a valued customer, you can buy my PC PLAN PRO package for only 4.99 a month which won't fix anything, but it will fill your computer with branding and advertise shit at you.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 19th Apr 2012 at 11:55.

The only real virus I've had and known about over the last ten years got in from a banner ad and fucked me up royal. That avast didn't even notice makes me wonder how much of this antivirus stuff is just snake oil.