TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief's Rising, an 8 mission set for Thief DS - 21/04/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Adsk1 View Post
    So you have two alternatives. Try making some noise that will cause the guy to investiate, and if that doesn't work, you'll probably have to re-start the mission.
    No, no, where the display cases are is where you set the flee point. So now he's spooked, right in front of the elevator looking in every direction.

So YOU have two alternatives. Try getting your FM's beta tested that will cause testers to investigate, and if that doesn't work, you'll probably have to re-start another hobby.

I resorted to throwing boxes at him to knock him over towards the shadows near the cases in order to get his key. Then knock him back over to finish the mission.

also, Garrett gets easily stuck 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the map when returning from where the gavel is...

Now on mission 4, it keeps crashing, not just when I save or quick save but also when I go into a different area of the map, such as crossing the bridge.

We all appreciate the time put into these missions, but it is just plain dumb to release one without it being tested, and quite arrogant to not think that you need other people to help you release a quality mission pack.... that works

So, like others on here, I have limited patience and will return to it some day down the road, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by rustmite View Post
    Strange, because all the lights are red and at the helm area (where the wheel and switches are) is only a male and female guard patrolling, no captain. I was assuming that the light would eventually turn green and I would find him there as per the readable up there too?? Any idea whats wrong?? Thanks.
    Ah, right, a missunderstanding. I thought you had already been in the captains quarters. You need to explore the guest quarters first. This will trigger the captains transition.

Quote Originally Posted by ValmontPhl View Post
    No, no, where the display cases are is where you set the flee point. So now he's spooked, right in front of the elevator looking in every direction.

So YOU have two alternatives. Try getting your FM's beta tested that will cause testers to investigate, and if that doesn't work, you'll probably have to re-start another hobby.

We all appreciate the time put into these missions, but it is just plain dumb to release one without it being tested, and quite arrogant to not think that you need other people to help you release a quality mission pack.... that works

So, like others on here, I have limited patience and will return to it some day down the road, maybe.
    Ok, thanks for the constructive criticism.

This was never a hobby for me, this was just something I chose to do to pass the time during a financial crisis in my life. A possible one off. So I didn't do it for you or anyone else, I did it for me and I released it to the community as is, just because I could.

As I have stated before in this thread, I was entirely new to this 'game' and didn't know all the relevant procedures that are expected of a - as you put it - 'quality mission pack', which is something I knew I would never achieve on this occasion. I accepted the limitations of my ability and the limited time I had and did what I could with it. And let's face it, if everyone produced flawless, quality mission packs then we'd all be game level designers by profession.

I have learnt a lot during this journey and I now understand the extent of what is required to produce flawless missions. So if I was to do this again in the future, I would be more dedicated to the project and thus, more thorough in my testing and more professional about the end product.

In the mean time, this mission set is, as it is, bugs and all. Others have played it and commented on their enjoyment of it despite it's flaws. But hey, if you don't like it or don't have the patience for it, that's fine, it's your prerogative, don't play it, it matters not to me.

...what is required to produce flawless missions.
    There are no flawless missions. It would (maybe) be nice if there were but there aren't. There is no way to catch every little thing that might be or could go wrong in a mission, no matter how much you test it. But you can be sure that there are no bugs that prevent the player from accomplishing what they need to accomplish. As long as those are fixed, the rest is forgivable. As you say, we're not all professional game designers.

Ah, right, a missunderstanding. I thought you had already been in the captains quarters. You need to explore the guest quarters first. This will trigger the captains transition.
    Well, I will go through there again, but I explored all the guest quarters and have all objectives complete except the captains artifact. I found the thief, so that is complete, other than that, it was a lot of lockpicking to get loot. But I will go thru each room again, except I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for?

So I went all through the guest quarters again, then went back to the helm and the captains quarters and still no captain, red light still on. So something must be wrong, I don't know what it is that I am supposed to do to trigger this transition, since I am not supposed to be seen by anyone??? I'm about ready to shelve this one, shame because I was looking forward to the last 2 missions.

Quote Originally Posted by rustmite View Post
    So I went all through the guest quarters again, then went back to the helm and the captains quarters and still no captain, red light still on. So something must be wrong, I don't know what it is that I am supposed to do to trigger this transition, since I am not supposed to be seen by anyone??? I'm about ready to shelve this one, shame because I was looking forward to the last 2 missions.
    Not sure what's gone wrong there. When you first knock on one of the occupied guest quarters door, the person inside should come out, briefly look around and then go back in. This should then trigger a voice over saying "I need to get into those occupied rooms". This then allows you to pick up the Captains Invites from the kitchen and at the same time sets off the captains transition from his quarters to the helm.

I don't know why this hasn't happened for you. I know this is quite a repetative level and the last thing you'll want to do is re-play it, but that seems to be the only solution, I'm sorry to say.

Not sure what's gone wrong there. When you first knock on one of the occupied guest quarters door, the person inside should come out, briefly look around and then go back in. This should then trigger a voice over saying "I need to get into those occupied rooms". This then allows you to pick up the Captains Invites from the kitchen and at the same time sets off the captains transition from his quarters to the helm.

I don't know why this hasn't happened for you. I know this is quite a repetative level and the last thing you'll want to do is re-play it, but that seems to be the only solution, I'm sorry to say.
    OK, guess I will restart the level and see if it works. I could have swore that I did see that message, but for whatever reason, the captain doesn't feel like working...haha

Hi, excellent missions. I am on mission 7 and saw this huge rat going into the portal but I am unable to follow him into the portal because the opening on the second floor is too small for me to go through. Is there another route to get to the portal?
    Again thank you for theses magnificient missions.
    Silent Warrior
    Last edited by Silent Warrior; 1st Jun 2012 at 14:09. Reason: more detail explanation

Ok, thanks for the constructive criticism.

This was never a hobby for me, this was just something I chose to do to pass the time during a financial crisis in my life. A possible one off. So I didn't do it for you or anyone else, I did it for me and I released it to the community as is, just because I could.

As I have stated before in this thread, I was entirely new to this 'game' and didn't know all the relevant procedures that are expected of a - as you put it - 'quality mission pack', which is something I knew I would never achieve on this occasion. I accepted the limitations of my ability and the limited time I had and did what I could with it. And let's face it, if everyone produced flawless, quality mission packs then we'd all be game level designers by profession.

I have learnt a lot during this journey and I now understand the extent of what is required to produce flawless missions. So if I was to do this again in the future, I would be more dedicated to the project and thus, more thorough in my testing and more professional about the end product.

In the mean time, this mission set is, as it is, bugs and all. Others have played it and commented on their enjoyment of it despite it's flaws. But hey, if you don't like it or don't have the patience for it, that's fine, it's your prerogative, don't play it, it matters not to me.
    "do to pass the time" - might be a hobby, j/s

No mission is flawless, and I suppose I should rephrase, This is a quality mission pack (what i've been able to play ) and one of the best T3 ones out there... if only it worked. I'd compare it to tires that didn't quite fit right on a high performance vehicle.

Why rule out working on it more? Say, letting others help you get to the bottom of some things and how to fix them... could be something simple, IDK but I bet someone else does

does anyone here willing to help me and to answer my question.

" I am on mission 7 and saw this huge rat going into the portal but I am unable to follow him into the portal because the opening on the second floor is too small for me to go through. Is there another route to get to the portal?

Thanks
    Silent Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Warrior View Post
    Hi, excellent missions. I am on mission 7 and saw this huge rat going into the portal but I am unable to follow him into the portal because the opening on the second floor is too small for me to go through. Is there another route to get to the portal?
    Again thank you for theses magnificient missions.
    Silent Warrior
    Thanks for the appreciation!
    Look for the bonfire on the second floor, and study it in great detail

Quote Originally Posted by ValmontPhl View Post
    "do to pass the time" - might be a hobby, j/s

No mission is flawless, and I suppose I should rephrase, This is a quality mission pack (what i've been able to play ) and one of the best T3 ones out there... if only it worked. I'd compare it to tires that didn't quite fit right on a high performance vehicle.

Why rule out working on it more? Say, letting others help you get to the bottom of some things and how to fix them... could be something simple, IDK but I bet someone else does
    A hobby is a favourite subject or occupation that is not one's main business, and this was far from my favourite occupation, especially with this editor! Anyway, enough about that.

Your appreciation is gratefully received.

I'd have no issue with fixing the bugs myself if I could recover the scripts from the .ibt files. I no longer have the original files and don't fancy trying to re-write them. So that is why I've not done so, I'm sorry to say.

Another B%&£**d Long Jump!

Mission 7 - Need some help here! Following the trail and gone through my rival's room. I can see a grating on the opposite side of the street and a broken ladder. Looks like I have to make another olympian leap - from the rail. Really tedious!!!

If I'm on the wrong track can somebody put me right please? If not I would appreciate a post-leap save - I'm not going to waste my life on another 57 tries.

Otherwise this is an interesting mission and I would like to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draigcoch View Post
    Mission 7 - Need some help here! Following the trail and gone through my rival's room. I can see a grating on the opposite side of the street and a broken ladder. Looks like I have to make another olympian leap - from the rail. Really tedious!!!

If I'm on the wrong track can somebody put me right please? If not I would appreciate a post-leap save - I'm not going to waste my life on another 57 tries.

This leap is easier than the Mountain one. Just jump up onto the side railing and run and jump. The ladder is easily reached even if you jump a little too early. Or at least I found it to be anyway.

Scripts

I have just received a download of my original scripts, extracted from the maps IBT files. So I shall endeavour to rectify as many bugs as I can, time permitting, with the intention of releasing an updated version in the forseeable future.

Thanks to snobel for sorting that out.

Stuck Again

Thanks Adsk1 - it only took me 5 attempts to make that jump.

However I'm stuck again. Made it through the ventilations shafts and out onto the dropped landing. Easily jumped that gap and the next one to the sloping roof. . This is where I come unstuck! Have ducked under a beam and now standing on two blue footprints. Where do I go from here? There is another roof nearby but I have no run-up because of the overhang.. Can somebody help please?

I was able to push the 2 large crates out to the grating and mantle up on top, then that jump is cake

Thanks Adsk1 - it only took me 5 attempts to make that jump.

However I'm stuck again. Made it through the ventilations shafts and out onto the dropped landing. Easily jumped that gap and the next one to the sloping roof. . This is where I come unstuck! Have ducked under a beam and now standing on two blue footprints. Where do I go from here? There is another roof nearby but I have no run-up because of the overhang.. Can somebody help please?
    Just stick to the roof tops. You don't need a run up, just hold the run button and jump forward, aiming for the lowest part of the roof. Should be able to jump straight onto each roof with no mantling

BUG FIX LIST

Here's a list of all the bugs that I plan to try and fix, based on feedback from earlier posts in this thread. If you have experienced any bugs that are not listed below, please let me know and I'll add them. Thank you for your support.

Mission 1 - Practice
    Add a proper Sky Box
    Loot objective isn't counted towards Mission completion.

Mission 2 - Mansion
    Add a suitable Sky Box
    Moon Emitter needed to replace moon in sky box
    Remove some loot to make maximum 10,000.
    Increase Keys Draw scale.

Mission 3 - Auction House
    Add a proper Sky Box
    Lock the door by starting position.
    Block off carts in starting area with more invisible walls.
    Remove physics from chandeliers in auction room.
    Remove panicking status from stock check guy when loot has been stolen.
    Add junk status to the cup in safe room that causes game to crash
    Add light above Gavel trap door after both switches have been pressed
    Fix Gavel trap door that causes player to get stuck half-in, half-out of level.

Mission 4 - Framed
    Alter script to prevent Newspapers from being read more than once
    Change objective that says "escape to the North". Should be South.
    Allow exit door to be used if unconsious bodies are in area!
    Re-build exit area, possibly reduce AI & alter zone portals to try to fix game crash when saving. (Big bug)

Mission 5 - Mountain
    Shorten the gap of the jump.
    Make Blessing ritual items unfrobable until ready to be used. Unused Candle, Holy Symbol and Skull.
    Fix rip in wall of zombie area between the two doors where player arrives in toilets from tunnel beneath.
    Increase frob distance of key on belt of Sibling Male

Mission 6 - Nauticle
    Remove some light at exit areas of dining rooms, by stairs.
    Remove default scripts from levers in engine room
    Change patrol path of pirate at helm to not pass over where Captain appears.

Mission 7 - Tracker
    n/a

Mission 8 - Confrontation
    Add 5-10 seconds more to Bell timing for dagger acquisition.
    Change 750G Note to an Objective
    Increase draw scale on Were-rat Balthesar's key
    Stop Were-rat from doing ritual and darken the world when all artefacts are highlighted
    Fix the portal exit which does not work!

Update request

When updating this mission please please put in some rope arrows (especially in Mission 7).
    Until then I'm shelving this game - I've had enough of falling short or finding that the "jump" button does nothing.

Rope arrows in TDS are in the current state probably less useful than getting to know how to jump and mantle in TDS (which isn't that hard actually, don't know why everyone is making a fuss). Plus, even if Adsk1 took the hassle of implementing them, the rest of the mission would have to be adjusted so that you cannot screw things up with them. Bottom line, I think that request is a bit illusory.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Rope arrows in TDS are in the current state probably less useful than getting to know how to jump and mantle in TDS (which isn't that hard actually, don't know why everyone is making a fuss). Plus, even if Adsk1 took the hassle of implementing them, the rest of the mission would have to be adjusted so that you cannot screw things up with them. Bottom line, I think that request is a bit illusory.
    My sentiments exactly!

Draigcoch - Sorry to hear that you'll not be finishing the game.

Really like the campaign thus far, but stuck at mission 6:

where are the invites - I've been to both kitchens and can't see anything to pick up?
    Maybe there is a bug and the invites disappeared because I did something earlier in the mission that I wasn't supposed to do?

Mission 4

I can't find the last newspaper. The one referred to in the letter doesn't make sense? I found the house of the person named but there is nothing in that area or by the river. I have even been to the fence's front door but I can't finish until I read the final newspaper. I need a direct hint please.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast