TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crysis 3 - 2013

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Crysis 3 - 2013

Crysis 2 was grand, a marriage of Crysis 1 and CoD, minus their respective bad bits.

As I expected, they're building upon the base of Crysis 2, rather than throwing out the bath water and starting from scratch (i.e. Crysis 1 -> Crysis 2). Pretty obvious given the shorter dev cycle than Crysis 2. There's nothing wrong with that though.

“Players take on the role of ‘Prophet’ as he returns to New York, only to discover that the city has been encased in a Nanodome created by the corrupt Cell Corporation. The New York City Liberty Dome is a veritable urban rainforest teeming with overgrown trees, dense swamplands and raging rivers. Within the Liberty Dome, seven distinct and treacherous environments become known as the Seven Wonders. This dangerous new world demands advanced weapons and tactics. Prophet will utilize a lethal composite bow, an enhanced Nanosuit and devastating alien tech to become the deadliest hunter on the planet.

Set in 2047, Prophet is on a revenge mission after uncovering the truth behind Cell Corporation’s motives for building the quarantined Nanodomes. The citizens were told that the giant citywide structures were resurrected to protect the population and to cleanse these metropolises of the remnants of Ceph forces. In reality, the Nanodomes are CELL’s covert attempt at a land and technology grab in their quest for global domination. With Alien Ceph lurking around every corner and human enemies on the attack, nobody is safe in the path of vengeance. Everyone is a target in Prophet’s quest for retribution.”
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 24th Apr 2012 at 13:51.

Skyscraper jungle bow and arrow fun ftw!

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Crysis 2 was grand, a marriage of Crysis 1 and CoD, minus their respective bad bits.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y13Ffjqwamk

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, the Neverhood was great.

Crysis 2, unfortunately, was not a grand marriage of anything except great graphics tech and console hardware. Crysis 2 was a competent and unmemorable shooter with a limp, sodden narrative and exactly none of Crysis's more open and free level design.

It had potential, and it never realised any of it - remember the claims of 'verticality'? I was imaging bits where you could leap from level to level in a building, maybe even across buildings, in a tense, escalating game of cat and mouse. What Crytek actually meant was they'd place you on a balcony or a floor a level up from an enemy patrol and you could lean out and snipe them and jump on over, or just jump the fuck on over anyway.

Eva's talking out of his hat, I'm afraid.

I found Crysis2 pretty unmemorable compared to the lush jungles of Crysis1.
    I also disliked that modes got combined and speed mode was replaced by a lackluster sprint.
    No more insane jump/stealth/strength-punch to the face/stealth again in one go moves.
    Sliding was fun though.
    I missed rigging jeeps with explosives and driving them into enemy encampments.
    The "tactical mode" with its tagging was overpowered and cluttered the screen with icons.
    The inclusion of on-rail bits and "press X to look at awesome" looked more a step down in design than up for me,
    the whole predator simulator feeling was gone compared to the previous title (which was flawed itself but those levels were amazing).
    It still prefered Crysis2 over other, more linear shooters like COD/MOW, but it did not live up to its own standards imo. Crysis3 seems to tread the same path with smaller, contained levels but at
    least they seem to pack more diversity into them.

Biodomes to contain the alien threat - why not just scorch the place since it looks there are no structures left caring about and the whole interior is a big, overgrown maze, hard to fight in with
    an army or larger groups....

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    Biodomes to contain the alien threat - why not just scorch the place since it looks there are no structures left caring about and the whole interior is a big, overgrown maze, hard to fight in with
    an army or larger groups....
    More importantly, what alien threat if you killed all of it in Crysis 2 with the supervirus thing?

Well, they did not care much for the Crysis1 story in 2 so why bother now. I read it plays 20 years afterwards so the virus did not seem to be very effective. "ADAPTING" or something like that.

Crysis 2 sucked. The new trailer reminds me of The Conduit, the Wii game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post

Crysis 2, unfortunately, was not a grand marriage of anything except great graphics tech and console hardware. Crysis 2 was a competent and unmemorable shooter with a limp, sodden narrative and exactly none of Crysis's more open and free level design.

It had potential, and it never realised any of it - remember the claims of 'verticality'? I was imaging bits where you could leap from level to level in a building, maybe even across buildings, in a tense, escalating game of cat and mouse. What Crytek actually meant was they'd place you on a balcony or a floor a level up from an enemy patrol and you could lean out and snipe them and jump on over, or just jump the fuck on over anyway.

Eva's talking out of his hat, I'm afraid.
    Unfortunately, this is one of the best summaries of Crysis 2 that I've seen. After beating it, I uninstalled the game promptly.....and this was while stationed overseas and not having any way to get new games on my computer.

For all the problems I had with Crysis it still succeeded in giving you large, open levels and the tools to tackle problems your way. Warhead did even better and fixed a lot of the issues present in the first game. Notably, enemies respawning in thin air.

Its a bit of a pity. In the end Crytek is just another studio that traded in a unique product in exchange for aping Gears of War and Call of Duty.

Taking a break
    I wonder how many people on the Internet who say that Neverhood was great actually finished the game?

Chakat sex pillow
    Not the bots, I'm guessing.

Well, I'm sure that bots, being able to parallel-process, are able to play The Neverhood on the side while they spam message boards. It's one of the perks of being a bot.

That kid that keeps killing and teabagging you on Battlefield 3? Bot.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    I wonder how many people on the Internet who say that Neverhood was great actually finished the game?
    I did, albeit with the help of a walkthrough. I normally hate and suck at point-n-click adventures, but Neverhood just had too much charm to idly pass it by.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Interactive version of the E3 press presentation, "choose your own adventure" style. PC version footage played with 360 controller.

This game looks ace, IMO. The sandbox levels look Crysis 1-esque in terms of their size (great stuff), but with Crysis 2's improved pacing and focused narrative.

"How will you play Crysis 3? Stealth or Armor?"
    Really, Crytek? Is it too complicated to just let the player choose between the two dynamically during the campaign?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

icelandic bitches don't know about marketing

Why are you bringing my nationality into this?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    He does that, the sheepfucker.

Level 10,000 achieved
    That does indeed look good. Makes me wanna install Crysis 2 right away, but I'm trying to pace myself with my Steam Sale purchases and finish one game before I start the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    "How will you play Crysis 3? Stealth or Armor?"
    Really, Crytek? Is it too complicated to just let the player choose between the two dynamically during the campaign?
    I hope you're just pretending and you're not actually this thick, but in case it really needs pointing out: of course you'll be able to dynamically swtitch between the two in-game. The choice in the video is there to show off how the game can be tackled using different playstyles.
    Last edited by henke; 27th Jul 2012 at 13:23.

Administrator
    rather than throwing out the bath water
    The phrase is "Throwing the baby out with the bath water"...

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I hope you're just prentending and you're not actually this thick, but in case it really needs pointing out
    It was simply a misunderstanding on my part. I mistook that interface for something that could actually appear in-game. I guess I just figured this could be possible because I have seen games do some incredibly stupid stuff in the past.
    Last edited by Bjossi; 27th Jul 2012 at 12:35.

Taking a break
    The sandbox levels look Crysis 1-esque in terms of their size (great stuff), but with Crysis 2's improved pacing and focused narrative.
    You know these two are pretty much polar opposites right?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Er, yes, that does seem to be the implication, but there's nothing that says the two can't go together.

The Alchemist
    So did Crysis 3 take the bow from The Avengers or was it the other way around?