TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Dark Engine Games won't start; I am confused.

Dark Engine Games won't start; I am confused.

SIMPLIFIED EXPLAINATION: Using Windows 7 32-bit, all my Dark Engine games crash instantly w/ the messages shown in the starting post. That's all.

Alright, I've just about had it with Windows 7 32-bit..
    Last edited by Albert; 29th Apr 2012 at 21:41.

Gee! That actually worked... Thanks alot, Voodoo47!

I've just had tons of problems recently on my netbook, I got last December.

UPDATE: Oh crap...

OK, now that I've completely messed up this decent thread, I should bring up this odd discovery. When I set compatibility mode to Win98/ME, the ddraw/menu/video portions of the game run, but not the actual ingame itself.

I'm looking into this myself, but has anyone had similar problems?

I just don't know why they all stopped running, simultaneously, all of a sudden.
    Last edited by Albert; 29th Apr 2012 at 22:30. Reason: A whole slew of editing problems; I haven't chatted in a long while, online

you shouldn't use win9x compatibility mode. have you updated your drivers recently? post your full system specs.

As you've mentioned, I've realized that maybe my custom drivers have something to do with it. However, this is odd, as they never gave me any trouble before.

I'm going to revert to the latest vanilla drivers. In the meantime, here's rough specs:

HP Mini 110-3000 (Not certain which make series, because HP doesn't like putting complete model numbers on)
    Intel Atom - @1.66GHz
    Intel X3150/965 GMA series
    Windows 7 32-bit - Custom version w/ less resources
    2GB DDR2

UPDATE: Alright, changing the drivers to vanilla seems to have fixed it... So I guess all this time I've wasted your time for nothing. Yep... I'm feeling rather dumb.

Thanks for all your help, Voodoo47. I appreciate it.

I'll be doing tests from now on with drivers. Seeing how they all work out and such.

These are the drivers I was originally using, BTW. When the game actually ran, it ran alot better than with the vanilla drivers. These drivers are made to get the best performance out of GMA chips, and it really showed, for a short while.

Whelp, now that the depression is over, I'll just call this thread closed.

UPDATE: Cripes, now it's not working?! I'm gonna have to do something major like install another OS. This is absolutely asinine.
    Last edited by Albert; 1st May 2012 at 13:06.