TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TG FM: Shadow Politics [Released on 04/28/2012]

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    Melan i hope this mission will convince you to get back to Dromed and bring us again your lovely t1 city style map missions that only you can make for thief 2 ...please get back to thief 2
    Sorry, that ship has sailed a long time ago. Please accept that I have moved on to TDM missions and will not return to Dromed.

Besides, this FM is already the truest spiritual sequel to Disorientation that anyone, including myself, could imagine. Maybe skacky and others will pick up the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Sorry, that ship has sailed a long time ago. Please accept that I have moved on to TDM missions and will not return to Dromed.

Besides, this FM is already the truest spiritual sequel to Disorientation that anyone, including myself, could imagine. Maybe skacky and others will pick up the torch.
    Ohhh...alright, iŽll try to create some missions with a similiar to your missions and t1 style, still you should know that you have a bigger thief community at thief 2 .

IŽll pick up the Torch and will do the best that i can.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    Ohhh...alright, iŽll try to create some missions with a similiar to your missions and t1 style... IŽll pick up the Torch and will do the best that i can.

Wow! Just finished, I want to say this is one excellent mission.

I got 3003 of loot, could anyone give me some clues as to where the other 900 odd is? Thanks.

My comments on this mission, don't read if you haven't finished the mission.

The layout and design of the mission is superb! Every step you take there's something to keep you occupied, whether it be guards, or loot, or another area to explore, with this mission i was in the 'flow' of being a thief at work.

The 'design' is very good, because the 'indicators' to point the player in the right direction to find an area that's hidden or clues to look for loot is just at the 'right' difficulty, not too hard or too easy.

(big spoilers next) For example, the area near the start with the antiques shop, opposite there's a open window and a stack of coins on another window ledge and you can hear a guy walking around. This is nice and subtle to tip the player off.

Sometimes it is difficult to express in words what a good FM is like, partially because the experience is based on feelings. But the good FMs, i've played have the same features as this mission: not too difficult or too hard, subtle indictors whether by sound, sight or readable, or better still a combination of these to point the player in the right direction, something to keep the player occupied every step of the way.

I've also noticed that missions that use visual indicators to keep the player exploring and point to what they could do next is more enjoyable, but ones that rely too much on readables, i find not as intuitive for me to remember what to do next, humans are visual creatures we tend to navigate the world both physical and culturally through symbols and imagery, not words.

This mission hits the spot!
    Last edited by shadows; 29th Apr 2012 at 05:17.

Thank you for this wonderful mission!

Finished last night with around 3100/3900 loot. Skacky, thank you for making what I consider one of the best T1 missions to date! It looks better than most OMs and plays a lot like one. Like shadows said, there is a lot of thought and care put into the design and I hope you continue and make more missions like this.

Really fun mission, Skacky! I always forget how much I like the atmosphere of Thief Gold, it's so dark and gritty- I love it! It's too bad though that more people don't play it; I guarantee if this was a T2 mission this thread would be 8 pages long by now.
    As many have said, this reminded me a lot of "Disorientation". There's something to find EVERYWHERE, and I love how we get a small taste of all the usual Thief environments (city, sewer, cave, mansion). This was really awesome, MORE PLS.

Glad you enjoyed the mission.
    As for another FM, well, time will tell. I definitely have some plans for new missions (again in that gritty T1 feel), but I'll need to find some free time.

Some hints on hard-to-find loot pieces:
    - Check the windowsills and little carved pieces of architecture, you never know
    - Check the beams, people like to put stuff on the beams
    - Check the indoor lights, taffers who have played Walking the Edge will know what I mean

I finished 876 short of all loot, but enjoyed ghosting the mission very much.

I've only got one question:
    Is it possible to get inside the Hammerite priory? I've already robbed their warehouse but I just can't seem to find a way inside their priory next to St. Jenel Plaza.

Intruder: You cannot enter the Hammer priory, sadly. I wanted to have some catacombs at one point but didn't make them.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    - Check the indoor lights, taffers who have played Walking the Edge will know what I mean
    Oh dammit! When I found my first chandelier, I was thinking, "They had loot in Walking the Edge, didn't they." Then: "But this isn't Walking the Edge, so we have no need to worry." Well...

A really fun mission. More authors should make missions of this type; nothing fancy, all stock resources, but with top-notch game play. Thanks.

Excellent! I was wondering when this would be released! Thanks skacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    nothing fancy
    Nothing fancy? This puts most first-time FM makers to shame.

But to be serious, I know that skacky has some background experience to back up this FM, so maybe I'm being too unfair. Overall, it was an awesome mission. I felt it was very lovely for a TG FM, when most people just try and mimic the wonky proportions of the OMs.

One of my favorites, this year... No wait, my favorite of this year, thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Nothing fancy? This puts most first-time FM makers to shame.
    You understood me wrong. I meant no fancy hi-res textures or new objects. Just the good old Thief look using the stock resources. I meant is as a compliment.

Thanks for this excellent Gold mission!
    Sewers, rooftops and being rewarded to keep your eyes open for hard-to-get stuff.
    I still wonder what to do with the Sunburst-device.
    The architecture is really nice and well done.
    I found 3600 on my own and 'The Trickster's Loot Locator' told me about where to get the rest.
    Looking forward to you next project.
    If it took you 3 month to learn DromEd and create this mission, then I would expect something like 'Kings Story' by the end of may.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 1st May 2012 at 09:28.

Oh so you found the Sunburst Device. Well done.
    It doesn't serve any purpose other than causing chaos if you want to.

Thanks for the compliments everyone and Vexd, I'm still waiting for Merrick's Cellar.

I actually know where the Sunburst Device is, but how do you get up there? Only by means of crates ? Thank you for a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    I found 3600 on my own and 'The Trickster's Loot Locator' told me about where to get the rest.
    Even with this finicky tool I seem to be unable to locate two last pieces: a gold ring in X5-Y2-Z4, and a silver stack in X7-Y1-Z7. Since you found all I'd appreciate a direct spoiler to these nasties.
    Having found ~3400 all by myself isn't this ia pardonable yield to perfectionism?
    Thanks in advance

EDIT: posting works wonders! I found both of them within a few minutes...
    Last edited by csamba; 2nd May 2012 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    I actually know where the Sunburst Device is, but how do you get up there? Only by means of crates ? Thank you for a hint.
    A ropearrow and a short jump to the ledge does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by csamba View Post
    Even with this finicky tool I seem to be unable to locate two last pieces: ...
    What do you mean with finicky ? If I look up my dictionary, then this does not sound very nice
    Feedback is welcome in this thread : TTLL
    Last edited by gnartsch; 2nd May 2012 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    What do you mean with finicky ? If I look up my dictionary, then this does not sound very nice
    Oh, I'm terribly sorry for that ambiguous word I used it only in the sense of "a bit tricky" and "not always quite easy to interpret" - but I certainly didn't mean anything offensive. On the contrary, I find this little program brilliant and extremely helpful for an obsessive person like myself

Looking at those screenshots, it seems to me it is time to download Thief Gold from GOG.com....

Definitely! This is good old-fashioned thieving at its best. But I do have a complaint. It's totally unfair to place a handy but non solid lamppost below a balcony. It's just begging to be jumped on. Big mistake - I died.

Hey skacky, I'm not likely going to play your FM any time soon, but I just wanted to congratulate you on the release of your debut mission. It's a nice feeling to finally have an FM out, and I hope that there'll be many more to come from you.

So, um... Congratulations! ... even though you unknowingly stole the name of my FM

Finished this amazing mission

Just finished playing this lovely mission, this is definetly one of the best mission i ever played, this is my favourite type of mission, the map is gorgeous!!! a beautiful highly detailed city, very dynamic, excellent light, a good choice of sounds and musics, i missed the whistle sound music though, the gamepay is very acessible and very enjoyable, the storyline is captivating, this is a mission of 5 Stars!!!

Skacky you are a very talented 3d architecture designer, you have to bring us more of beautiful maps like this one for thief 2 or thief gold.