TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Moscow Candidate - Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

The Moscow Candidate - Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

No surprises here.
    http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223929p1.html

Treyarch has fast become the superior of the CoD developers in terms of game design and narrative quality. I.e. None of the IW games have the thematic depth, nor braveness of World at War. Black Ops 1 had the balls to take far more narrative risks than most mainstream games.

(Their optimisation is f*cking arse though. Poor framerates and lower quality graphical assets are par the course.)

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Yeah, I've really grown to appreciate what Treyarch has been pulling off the last few years. I haven't really said this since CoD4, but -- looking forward.

Sure, it's going to be the same damn game it's been for 10 years. To which I say, so? There's certainly a place for that.

Taking a break
    Okay guys it's morning before breakfast so imma break this up for you quick:
    - Treyarch sucks, they try to copy what IW did a game earlier but mostly fail at it
    - WaW was only good because it had weapon variation and limited spawns

Cod fish & chips are cheaper than the halibut version for a reason

Cod is Activison's answer to the FIFA series minus a decent soundtrack.

Cod: Bloops was mandatory playing at a few parties and I couldn't stand it. It's weird because playing Goldeneye 64, which is functionally the same yet over a decade older, was loads of fun. But as soon as everyone switched to Blops I like got the hives!

I never tried the singleplayer part of Blops. Is it actually worth checking out?

functionally the same ga-

functionally the s

functio

f

ffffffffffffffff

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    I never tried the singleplayer part of Blops. Is it actually worth checking out?
    Singleplayer is the only thing worth checking out in CoD games.

Well, there's Zombies if you're into that.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

LOL, dubstep trailer.

MW series already has a Tom Clancy-esque, near-future, sci-fi setting. Did we really need another one? Would far prefer a game set in another past time period, pre-USSR collapse.

Anyway, I'm liking the political commentary emerging from this game's plot already. I will keep an eye on it.

transmission interrupted

Huzzah, dubstep. I muted the video but from what I saw it's almost got a Battlefield 2142 aesthetic there. I definitely like that they're not doing another completely contemporary setting with this one.

The big question is if they'll even try, just try, to shake up the dead horse on-rails shooting gallery gameplay.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    The big question is if they'll even try, just try, to shake up the dead horse on-rails shooting gallery gameplay.
    Did Final Fantasy try to shake up the ATB gameplay?

El Shagmeister
    Yup, with FF XII, if memory serves.

Taking a break
    Yeah, and Call of Duty is only up to 8 now

El Shagmeister

Both franchises could do with a sudden death, though.

Last edited by MrDuck; 2nd May 2012 at 13:23.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Yup, with FF XII, if memory serves.
    ATB is readily present in FF XIII-2. I guess they must've brought it back for XIII, but I haven't played that one after hearing how bad it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Both franchises could do with a sudden death, though.

Won't argue with that!

Still, I would give Treyarch points if they put a little thought into moving the series in a slightly different direction. I hope they move further into sci-fi territory and maybe even come up with some new players or global blocs, instead of the usual US and sidekick UK versus terrorists (Russians, Iranians, Arabs, Africans, Chinese, South Americans, Earthers, Martians, etc).

Woah, just noticed they used clips of an interview of Colonel North in one of their promo videos. *sniff* God bless America.
    Last edited by Slasher; 2nd May 2012 at 18:43.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

This might be the most ambitious game in the series since CoD4.
    • Branching campaign with multiple endings.
    • Strike Force sandbox missions during campaign which play a bit like Battlezone (play from tactical view, jump in and control different units, etc), whose outcome affects the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    LOL, dubstep trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher
    Huzzah, dubstep.
    You keep using this word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

It probably doesn't. I muted the video in any event so I don't care either.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    • Branching campaign with multiple endings.
    • Strike Force sandbox missions during campaign which play a bit like Battlezone (play from tactical view, jump in and control different units, etc), whose outcome affects the campaign.
    Nice.

Still, Treyarch.

Still, Koki.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

PC version FAQ:-
    Summary:- DX11 renderer only (no XP support, LOL); attention supposedly paid to optimisation this time around; enhanced PC graphical options; more options in the graphical menu to help find your ideal performance and IQ balance.

What are the Minimum System Requirements?

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

Can I run the game on Windows XP?

No, sorry. Since we upgraded the engine to use DirectX11, Windows XP is no longer supported. It requires Windows Vista or later.

Will the game actually be playable on my minimum spec machine?

Absolutely. We have tested extensively on a variety of hardware and we are very confident in the performance even at the minimum specs.

What engine is used for Black Ops II?

The Black Ops II engine builds upon the Black Ops engine with a number of improvements including performance optimizations, enhanced graphics, and proprietary anti-cheat technology.

What performance optimizations have you introduced for Black Ops II?

Performance has been a top priority for Black Ops II PC from day one and we have achieved significant improvements. We’ve improved the way the engine handles multiple threads. Additionally, we moved the engine from DX9 to DX11. The DX11 API is leaner than DX9 and requires less CPU time to do the same amount of work. It is important to point out that this benefits the entire range of supported GPUs, not just DX11 hardware. We have also added more “quality vs performance” options than ever before so you can customize your experience to either run faster or to satisfy your taste in eye candy.

You mentioned enhanced graphics for the PC version. Can you tell us more about that?

Black Ops II PC features enhanced lighting, shadows, antialiasing, bloom, depth of field, ambient occlusion, and other enhanced effects that are still in the works. And the game can run at higher resolutions and higher framerates on the PC.

Will there be a framerate cap?

No. Unless you want one. We have included an adjustable FPS cap slider in the game options. The minimum setting is OFF (no cap).