TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: I'm sure this has been covered many times, BUT (Thief on Win 7)

TTLG Server Goddess

I'm sure this has been covered many times, BUT (Thief on Win 7)

Okay searching the forums resulted in a zillion threads, which were impossible to weed through... So I ask you:

What do I need to do to get TDP and TMA running on Windows 7?

Thanks in advance!
    If you didn't really laugh out loud, you're just an idiot

Tafferpatcher is where to start. It feels like it's luck of the draw whether you have problems or not. I had none but some people do.

And Tafferpatcher for TG is here though I recently installed a TG and didn't need to do anything except set affinity. But I'm not sure if that will work with TDP or not.

Administrator
    I've very recently re-installed Windows 7 64 bit and the patch worked fine for me with TDP. Quick summary of the steps I took:
    • Copied the Thief folder from my installation CD onto my hard drive
    • Downloaded and opened the archive using 7-Zip
    • Extracted the contents of the tgfix1.05 folder in the archive into the Thief folder overwriting all files
    • Ran movecrf.bat
    • Edited cam.cfg in a text editor and changed the line "game_screen_size" to my monitor resolution
    • Opened a command prompt in administrator mode and ran "regsvr32 %systemroot%\syswow64\ir50_32.dll"
    • Right clicked on thief.exe in the Thief folder, went to the compatibility tab and ticked "Run this program as an administrator"
    • Ran thief

I've not installed TMA yet, but I'd imagine the process is similarly painless.

I just purchased the Steam version of both Thiefs and have managed to get it working fairly painlessly with Tafferpatcher on 64bit W7. I had tried to do this manually at first by downloading and installing all of the separate patches separately but ran into a number of issues.

The included updates such as Thief 2 skies, the updated texture pack and other goodies really make a huge difference to the look of the game. Having never tried any of these before, it's refreshing to see the engine with a slightly more modernized look.

I'm still having issues with playing the videos however. It was working temporarily after I installed the XP version of the Indeo codec but hasn't worked since. I have followed all of the advice in the troubleshooting guide without any sustained success. They play outside of the game only. Has anyone tried encoding this in a different codec and got it working? I tried this on a couple of videos but it wont play within the game.

EDIT: I just realised that I forgot to change Thief2.exe to run as administrator again after installing Tafferpatcher. It works fine again now after changing this.
    Last edited by twisty; 30th May 2012 at 05:29.