TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Carmageddon sequel likely

Taking a break

Carmageddon sequel likely

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-reincarnation

400k seems kind of low but it might be just something to gauge interest as they're an active company(making Magic: The Gathering games no less)

As long as they keep it closer to Carmageddon than Carmageddon 2...

Knows his stuff
    Yeah it's been in development for a while already before they started the kickstarter.

The novelty of getting to run over pedestrians and being rewarded for smashing up the opposition in a wide-open go-anywhere city was pretty amazing back in 97. But I hope the new game will be more than just the same ol' thing but with prettier graphics. Some kind of coop missions might be cool.

Taking a break
    Well they are already promising multiplayer. I assume it's friendly Carmageddon coop(i.e. pushing your buddy off a cliff).

I'm told I did play Carmaggedon once upon a time but I don't really remember. It must have been 1 or 2 though. Anyway, some news here suggests they want to make it like 1 and 2 but not 3.

"The new game is going to be like Carmageddon 1 and 2," said Mr Barnden.

"But not 3, we're happy to confirm that!"
    And just for info, the redesign of the original box art pictured in that article and in Koki's link was done by Saturnine (for those who haven't/don't play Thief, he created 7th Crystal and Rose Cottage Fan Missions).
    Last edited by nickie; 12th May 2012 at 13:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    As long as they keep it closer to Carmageddon than Carmageddon 2...
    Finally someone :0 we are a rare breed.

Knows his stuff
    Indeed. What do you have against Carmageddon 2 exactly? It was just more of the same except with better vehicle deformation, more awesome power ups, 3d (very basic) ragdoll peds and Iron Maiden instead of Fear Factory.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't get it to run on my comp after I'd spent my hard earned money on it. Not even after several hardware upgrades. Had to wait for years till I bought a brand new computer before I finally got to play it. :(

edit: ah, nostalgia.

edit2: oh OH OH! AND everyone who's ever played Carmageddon needs to check this out: http://www.carmageddon.com/blog/ballet-not-gay-tony Some wonderful behind-the-scenes footage and a great story to go along with it. :D
    Last edited by henke; 13th May 2012 at 04:52.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Indeed. What do you have against Carmageddon 2 exactly?
    Too cartoony.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Too cartoony.
    Really? REALLY?
    So a game that in all incarnations has a power-up called "Pedestrian Electro Bastard Ray" is "Too cartoony"?
    Hold the presses everyone, Carmageddon 1 was obviously FAR more grimdark with its sprite based pedestrians that would warp hilariously when viewed at an angle than Carmageddon 2 where individual limbs could be removed from fully 3D pedestrians.

None of the Carmageddon games were ever anything more than cartoonish, harking back to the golden years of Warner Bros. cartoons, except with the gore turned on.

That's on a par with a friend of mine who didn't like Super Mario 64 because it was "A kid's game".

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Really? REALLY?
    Yes. Really.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine

"I was in the war!"

They have to include that.

Edit: how the hell did my post end up here, I posted after zajazd below

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

If you played Carma 2's campaign in between regular races, they'd have these awful timed challenge missions. These were unskippable. Back in the day one such mission killed the game dead for me, because I couldn't get past it.

Carmageddon 2 has ugly blocky 3d graphics and awkward polygonal pedestrians that don't splash and explode like sprite ones. Also as EvaUnit mentioned - timed missions.

I have a factory sealed Carmageddon big box that I'm planning on opening on doomsday 21/12/2012. I got it for only 30usd on ebay last year. Maybe it is the last sealed Carmageddon in the world, shiiit.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

So Stainless announced that they're releasing on Steam Early Access early next year with tiered pricing packages, including a "full package" which gave you all future DLC; crowdfunding campaign backers would only get the basic package; justified angry criticism arose and Stainless backtracked. Now all Kickstarter and Paypal backers who donated $15 or more will get all future DLC for all time.

Long story short, I just bought a "slacker backer" copy through their Paypal.
    http://www.carmageddon.com/paypal-pledges

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Those who are about to die, we salute you. OHHHH YEAAAHHHH!

Knows his stuff
    Eh... it looks like Carmageddon 2 but with higher res textures and higher poly models.

I guess that's all some people want out of sequels/remakes, but personally I prefer when devs do something new with their IPs.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Given the age and popularity of the series I think it's okay to retread some old ground. I always kind of felt that sequels to games that came out years ago should be more or less the same game as before -- that way you end up pleasing the fans enough while still drawing in new fans, giving a little bit of financial capital to experiment with the next game.

Exceptions can be made, of course -- nobody really wanted the new Shadow Warrior to be exactly like the old Shadow Warrior, even if you stripped out the racism.

As for '90s carxploitation games, now that GTA and Carmageddon have been revived for our era, I hope Interstate '76 is next on the list.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Exceptions can be made, of course -- nobody really wanted the new Shadow Warrior to be exactly like the old Shadow Warrior, even if you stripped out the racism.
    Adventure game remakes would also be obvious exceptions. I.e. opportunity to leave fucking moon logic puzzles; pixel hunting; etc on the cutting room floor that many of the "classics" had.

Oh and Carmageddon 2 can go suck a bagful of dongs.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 23rd Mar 2014 at 17:01.

I guess that's all some people want out of sequels/remakes, but personally I prefer when devs do something new with their IPs.
    Wasn't TDR2000 fairly different? I didn't play it, and vaguely recollect that people didn't like it / wished it was more like C1/2.

Knows his stuff
    It's been ages since I played TDR2000, don't remember much about it. Wasn't as good as C1/2 tho.

edit: I had to look up the developer of TDR200 on Wikipedia to see if they're still around. They are. Their most recent game is Barbie's Dreamhouse Party. Not making this shit up.

My video:

I had to look up the developer of TDR2000 on Wikipedia to see if they're still around. They are. Their most recent game is Barbie's Dreamhouse Party.
    Now there's a mash-up waiting to happen.

Knows his stuff
    That video is quite something, Valet2.

Interesting choice of custom soundtrack. Then again, last time I played Carmageddon 2 I listened to The Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" album throughout, so what do I know.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

A most amazing trailer.