TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000 clues that you have been Dromeding too much

I do think Zontik should have 825

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I do think Zontik should have 825
    Fixed.

827. Your real name is George, but you start to spell and write it another way...

828: You debate with someone on how to pronounce DromEd.
    829: You debate with someone on how to pronounce Jorge.

830. Your girlfriend's father is called Georges and you hate him without knowing if it's due to something else than what his name inspires you.
    831. You start to think about giving your frame door a time higher than the hole to prevent people from entering your room all day long.
    832. You barely use the great computer you bought 2 weeks ago because DromEd doesn't work properly on it.
    Last edited by Nightstroll; 1st Nov 2008 at 21:07.

833. Your beta testers hear strange, spooky noises while testing your mission, although you never placed such.

834. You are happy about Obama new president 'cause it means the end of eight years of Jorge W.Bush

835. You often think and act out "Discover, Thwarted" when frustrated.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    I used this texture as avatar.
    I love this avatar

Too !

836. You double-check every square inch of your mission so often that Garrett became addicted to the speed potion you use to hover around the level faster, and now he won't move without it anymore.

837. The monster in your nightmare suddenly becomes invincible to your attacks, and you wonder if it has contracted the DeathStage 12 error.

Truly, happened to me the other night.

Isn't it pronounced "Ye-org-ee"?

Only if you can't pronounce the letter J.

And I think the E is meant to be silent. Only babies should pronounce every e at the end of a word as "ee".

So I pronounce it "Jorg", where the J is from, say, Jug, and the org is from Borg.

Only if you can't pronounce the letter J.
    Or if you're Spanish. And it's a Spanish name.

I've often wondered why people from some countries have trouble with certain sounds. Is it conditioning (i.e. are some people simply brought up to pronounce J as Y), or do people from some countries inherit some genetic trait that affects their vocal chords?

I was thinking along the line of the Swedish Chef BORK BORK BORK!

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14795

Absolutely no one gets my jokes--I suck
    Last edited by Queue; 21st Nov 2008 at 12:32.

I've often wondered why people from some countries have trouble with certain sounds. Is it conditioning (i.e. are some people simply brought up to pronounce J as Y), or do people from some countries inherit some genetic trait that affects their vocal chords?
    Because the sounds aren't used in the language, so the symbol is assigned a different sound.

I pronounce it like "George".

I pronounce it "Georg", like "George" but with a hard g at the end. Except I'm sure that's not the proper pronunciation.

Whore! Hey!

....not directed at anyone in particular.....just sayin'...that's...um...how I pronounce it......I'll go now...

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanret View Post
    Whore! Hey!

....not directed at anyone in particular.....just sayin'...that's...um...how I pronounce it......
    Ditto. It looks like a name in Espańol.

It's definitely not genetic (there is some genetic variation with the size and shape of vocal chords, throat, nasal cavity, etc..., not only with race but also gender, age, family, etc. But that's a different issue). But "conditioning" is putting it a little too simply. Some of it is that people are out of practice (or have never practiced) using the muscles to make certain sounds/phonemes, so their muscles miss the mark when they try. But it's also a mental thing; when you use a language it makes you think in terms of a particular type of sound and muscle use. Latin-language J's actually don't work like English Y's, but something more unique to itself, not only in sound but in context; so in a new context it's hard to force your mouth not to follow the old rules (e.g., with Spanish, you usually don't pronounce an initial S, you say "es...". In English, you usually don't pronounce the K in knob, or G in gnome, or the B in Bgag. But in other languages these sounds are common. So when a German asks you to pronounce knob, try to think in your own experience why it's tricky to pronounce the K fluidly as one sound with the N; Kuh-nob isn't right, it's Knob.). I had to get used to this when I learned Japanese; their "R" is exactly between an English L and R (as far as tongue placement), and you have to re-learn it as a unique letter all its own, because if it sounds too much like English "L" or "R", you're doing it wrong.

There's a way to avoid the problem, though ... basically learn how to pronounce every possible phoneme the mouth can possibly create, and how it's used in every major world language. There's a chart for that called the the International Phonetic Alphabet.
    Last edited by demagogue; 21st Nov 2008 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul
    In German(y) we speak J as Y and one might consider our phonetics-letter-accordance as quite inexact in general although Mark Twain for instance thought English was worse. Getting used to unknown kinds of phonems is a little hard but most Germans suffer rather from the th sound than from dj. Oh, and Arabic is worse, especially for native English speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice
    Or if you're Spanish. And it's a Spanish name.
    That's something which popped up in my head a few weeks ago. The texture is written Jorge, isn't it? Jorge de Burgos (inspired by Jorge Luis Borges, the author from...erm... Argentina?) is the bad guy in The Name of the Rose, a film that's supposed to have inspired LGS. Now, Jorge is blind and this texture is sort of a blind blot in the Thief world, isn't it?

I have the idea that one of the developers specifically said that it was named after a character in The Name of the Rose.

Now, back to the Clues!

838. You have a vivid dream set in a strange location, and when you wake up, you immediately draw a map and begin to turn it into an FM

I'm doing it right now

838. You have a vivid dream set in a strange location, and when you wake up, you immediately draw a map and begin to turn it into an FM
    And I thought I was the one.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast