TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Game Music TRACKS (blast from the past?)

Favorite Game Music TRACKS (blast from the past?)

So the 2008 Favorite Game Music thread had lots of good picks that augment my (nerdy) collection, but some time has passed and I figured could use a new version of the thread, especially with some kickass new game soundtracks out there (coughbastioncough).

BUt to keep things interesting, I am putting a spin on the old thread with three rules:
    1) You must list a SPECIFIC TRACK, not just a game in general. YT or relevant link appreciated
    2) You may list only ONE TRACK PER GAME in your post (and no double posting) so pick your favorite! But two different people can totally list the same game, if the track is different!
    3) If you comment/quote on any track, you must post another favorite track from the same game!

Ready steady? Go:

Bastion - Build the Wall - the whole soundtrack's just great really!
    Beyond Good and Evil - Home Sweet Home - The first game song I heard that I thought was more than just a "game song." Utterly beautiful.
    Neverhood - Klayman's Theme - pretty wacky, much like the rest, but very catchy!
    Fahrenheit/Indigo prophecy - Sandpaper Kisses - absolutely moody, even if a little on the "girly" side
    Unreal Tournament - Hyperblast - hard to pick just one, but I figure Id go with something different than the main menu for a change!
    American McGee Alice - Village of the Doomed - absolutely love the eerie female chorus that kicks in ~0:40 ("ooh ooh ooh la la la...")
    Arcanum - Main Theme - completly love this one, I think it captures the spirit of the game perfectly!
    Chrono Trigger - Schala's Theme - obligatory JRPG. Lots of good bits, this one one of the most memorables for me.
    Mirror's Edge - Still Alive - another more modern classic!
    Phoenix Wright - Godot - My "relaxing in the evening with a mug of coffee or a glass of whiskey" song. Rest of the ones are good too and I don't even really like jazzy stuff much!
    Silent Hill 3 - You're not here - while SH games sport some of the most atmospheric SurHor themes out there I'm sure people will post after, they also have a nice collection of regular songs. This is one takes the cake for me, just great great beat!
    The Witcher - Believe - while the in-game soundtrack is rather passable, this piece is quite awesome with a beautiful violing intro and mixed heavy music kicking in about a minute in
    Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines - Hollywood Theme - that's right, not the main menu or downtown themes! This one just has a nice little "lazy night" kind of a feeling to it that just felt so right when strolling down the VTMB world. Crap it's making me want to replay the game!
    Neverwinter Nights - Wealthy City - spending hours in the editor with that music playing made me grow to love it somehow. I still pop it in when I need some RPG-tinkering inspiration!
    Tribes 2 - Badlands - not a big fan of the genre, but I quite loved this theme, fit with the game so perfectly too
    Operation Flashpoint: Resistance - Track 2 (?) - one of my favorite "shit's about to go DOWN" game songs.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 19th May 2012 at 03:30.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I don't know what it is about the Gameboy soundchip, but I get a stiffy whenever I hear it.

So here, have a bunch of fucking Gameboy music.

Megaman Xtreme's Sigma Stage 1 theme. Technically a remake of the SNES version, but who cares? It sounds awesome.

Bionic Commando's Area 5 theme.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow's Stage 1 theme.

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening's Face Shrine theme.

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Season's Tarm Ruins theme.

Metal Gear Ghost Babel's Infiltration 1 theme.

Crusader:No Regret - The Traveler
    Freedom Fighters - March of the Empire
    Hitman - Main Title
    I guess you can see where I'm going with all the Jespyr Kidd stuff.

Metal Gear solid 1 & 4 - The best is yet to come In 4 my eyes actually teared up a little with all the nostalgia.
    Killer Instinct - Cinder. Lots of cool, dorky, but cool tracks.
    Shogun Total War - Mobilize
    - When this started playing you knew shit was about to get heavy.
    Lifeforce Tenka - Track 2
    C&C Red Alert - - Hell March
    Nanotek Warrior - Main Theme
    Jade Empire - Main Theme
    WoW - - Ashenvale Forest - really don't like WoW, but it had a nice soundtrack.

I'm not going to bother linking the Cake song from Portal, it's been played to death. I mention it because it was a giant cherry on top and pretty much made buying the Orange box worthwhile for me.

Damn your rules Yakoob. so many good tracks, its hard to pick favorites.

Weird that Yakoob's link is 5:10 long, while "The Witcher Theme" by Believe that I have in my "Music Inspired by the Witcher" is only 2:13. In any case, I preferred The Dike from the regular soundtrack.

From the Witcher 2, Dwarven Stone upon Dwarven Stone is one of my favourites.

From Beyond Good and Evil, I preferred The Hylian Suite, myself, but that's a bit of an obvious choice.

I'm a big fan of Ys music. Some of my favourites include:
    Ys: Oath in Felghana : the Strongest Foe which is one of the best final boss themes ever.
    Ys Seven has a lot of great songs, but none quite stand out as "best". I think I'll just go with Lost Method.

Outlaws is very hard to pick a favourite. I actually have three songs in my library rated 5 stars, when I only have 62 songs rated 5 stars out of a library of 10000 songs. That said, I think I'll go with The Last Gunfight/Wildcard. I don't know which it is, because apparently my Outlaws has a different track order?? I have it labelled as WildCard in my library.

VVVVVV has a great soundtrack, as anyone who has played the game can attest. Potential for Anything is actually my Ringtone right now.

Let's not forget about Trine. From Trine 1, The Wolvercote Catacombs has a special place in my heart.
    From Trine 2, I'd have to say my favourite is the Main Theme (be it the orchestral version).

Okami : Okikurmi the Hero is another great one from a game with pretty fantastic music (and a very large soundtrack).

Finally, I'll go with Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core: Prowling in the Moonlight/Moonlight Wandering (take your pick of translation). I personally preferred Crisis Core's soundtrack to FF7 itself. Does that make me weird?

EDIT: And just for Dethtoll:
    Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge : Praying Hands, although this soundtrack does have a lot of great tracks. I recommend you track down the .GBS file if you don't already have it.
    Last edited by Zerker; 19th May 2012 at 07:49.

The Last Gunfight from Outlaws would have been one of my choices too, even if it's a blatant rip-off of Ennio Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold. Outlaws was ugly and outdated already when it was released, but this track and the great atmosphere made me fall in love with the game...

At Doom's Gate from DOOM is another favourite of mine. I don't normally listen to that kind of music that much, but this one fits in the game just perfectly. Just listening to it makes me want to go shoot some demons.

Something a bit different... Joyride from GTA 1. Hip-hop isn't really my thing either, but this is really catchy! Just listening to it makes me want to go drive over some pedestrians... oh wait

And here's another old favourite... (yes yes, I know, I'm just a nostalgic old fool ) The Fellowship Theme (starts at 3:10, but the link should jump to that automatically) from Ultima VII. This one really brings me back to my childhood, and I'll always love this game and this track... even if "Stones" is probably a better track.

I can definitely see a pattern developing here... another early 90's track here. But hey, it's a classic! The Wing Commander Theme! Game soundtracks nowadays try too hard to sound "epic" with real orchestras and stuff, but they often sound quite bland and samey to me. This one, on the other hand... it defines the word epic.

Hey, this next one is from this millennium! It's one of those songs that try hard to sound epic, but it's one of the few that don't fail at it in my opinion. Overture from Guild Wars (Eye of the North).

I could think of lots of other old favourites from the past, and perhaps even a few newer ones (but they just aren't that memorable to me, and I don't even know why!), but I'll go away now before all this nostalgia makes me cry. Bye.

(EDIT: Oh, I can't believe I forgot the Alone in the Dark series! They all (well, the original three games at least) had fantastic soundtracks, here's just one of the tracks that I like: Don't Despair)
    Last edited by Tomi; 19th May 2012 at 10:49.

Shatter: Seriously one of the best soundtracks for any game I've heard. It's hard to pick a favorite - I guess Argon Refinery is as good as any track on the album. The game itself is an enjoyable breakout clone, by the by, which I can also recommend. It's an indie title available on PSN & Steam.

VVVVVV needs to be seconded. Cheerful sugary chipmusic that keeps you going, even when you've died for the 64th time in Veni Vidi Vici. Plenary is just 22 seconds, but I get goosebumps every time I hear it. Goosebumps, I tell you!

King of Dragon Pass: This one features medieval-style music, giving a game that strictly consists of (well-drawn) still images an authentic atmosphere. Sea Season is lovely. The game could be described as a rather unique mix between Civilization and Choose Your Own Adventure.

Frozen Synapse: Another indie title with outstanding music, IMO. Focus is a great one, but so is the rest of the soundtrack.

Ok I'm game.

Hardwar - The Black Dog - Raxmus

Vietcong - Rude Kostry - Pseudo Hendrix

Vampire Bloodlines had one of the better credit scroll songs for a game, I thought: Lacuna Coil - Swamped

Deus Ex - DuClare Chateau

Kyntt Stories - D Fast - Before Our Eyes

Within A Deep Forest - Alterfish Gravity - Forest Level

Cave Story - Safety

Seiklus - Radix - Rainy Summerdays. Reminds me of the old Wizball theme (Martin Galway).

Civilization III - Stars Full. I kept this on my mp3 player and listened to it on that for a long time.

SimCopter - Jazz 5. And I liked this one so much I emailed the Sims composer for a copy, since the music wouldn't play on modern systems -- I didn't know the name so made a quick midi by memory -- and he very graciously replied that his co-composer that wrote it was out on tour. Fortunately a version came out on YT not long after.

NeoTokyo - Ed Harrison - Tin Soldiers. (I like it in this gameplay video.)

1080 - This is a Test
    Last edited by demagogue; 19th May 2012 at 14:36. Reason: added a few

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines - Hollywood Theme - that's right, not the main menu or downtown themes!
    Ugh. That is my least-favorite tune in the entire game-- I find it actively unpleasant to listen to.

There are rules here slick so you don't get away with drive by criticism so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    3) If you comment/quote on any track, you must post another favorite track from the same game!
    Edit: I'll take my own pill. When I was playing it, the track that made an impression on me was Chinatown.

Edit2: As a peace offering, I'll also put up a track from the Bane system of choice.
    Tempest 2000 - Mind's Eye. "Play it."
    Last edited by demagogue; 19th May 2012 at 14:46.

Chakat sex pillow
    So much good stuff in here already! I gotta say, that Civ 3 track just bowled me over. Didn't quite expect something that lovely, dema. I haven't played Civ III, so, uh, have Baba Yetu as a counterpoint?

That Outlaws track is great, but sounds incredibly Ennio Morricone-ish, to the point where I'm sure it's directly quoting that track from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, amongst others.

And yeah, that Neotokoyo soundtrack - some of that stuff is so good. My favourite's got to be Annul. Very GitS-y.

I've recently fallen in love with Dustforce's soundtrack. It's bright, cheery, melodic chiptunes that put a smile on your face like so. And again. (For the record, I can't find it in myself to like VVVVVV's soundtrack - all that pitch shifting and flanging grates on my ears for some reason. This one's okay, though.)

Bit.Trip also has some lovely stuff: there's Runner's iconic first stage music, and your reward for reaching Zone 3 is this track playing in the background for the levels.

Silent Hill's instrumental pieces weren't too bad either: my second favourite from SH1 was called Tears Of. SH4 was a terrible game, but Yamaoka still came through for most of it. It had a dark, dark ass lullaby which I love, and that opening guitar ballad that just smoulders.

To The Moon was a tour de force when it came to beautiful music. For River is pretty much burned into my brain cells by now. And then there's this sombre piece, which reminds me more than a little of the music that underscored the sad bits in Chrono Trigger. There's more, but linking to the other tunes would ruin the power they would have if you're experiencing the story for the first time. So, well, play the game instead if you haven't yet.

Edit: there are rules? Well, I was always a rebellious sumbitch. Two for the price of one? No? Come at me with them pitchforks.

Edit2: now with BONAS TRAK!
    Last edited by Sulphur; 19th May 2012 at 13:47.

Mother of mayhem, Megaman music much?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    There are rules here slick so you don't get away with drive by criticism so easily.
    Edit: I'll take my own pill. When I was playing it, the track that made an impression on me was Chinatown.
    For Bloodlines, I'm fond of the ambient track Disturbed and Twisted. From the club tracks, my favorite is probably Pound.

Star Control 2 - Hyperspace. It's just so damn perky and "Welcome to the WORLD of TOMORROW!" There are many remixes of this track, and they all make it worse.

Cave Story Remix Project - Doukutsu Dance. Are remixes allowed? Too bad, here it is. Stick with this one until at least the one-minute mark.

Anachronox - So much awesome, epic music in this game, so I'll just throw out Blind Ambition.

Psychonauts - The Milkman Conspiracy. This is what paranoia sounds like.

TRON 2.0 - Thorne's Server, from the part where you enter the virus-corrupted zone of the system.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 27th Sep 2016 at 10:32.

Here's a few:

Shadowrun (SNES) - All the music in it, full stop. Great tunes from beginning to end:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItVAyXzWkLM

Vagrant Story (PS1) - Abandoned Mines: (All the tracks in this game are awesome)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9_w5TtAgvI

Wingcommander Prophesy (PC) - Average game, but good music.
    Here's my favorite of the lot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R422rgLyPc

And being on a site like this one I have to throw in one Looking Glass tune. So here's my favorite SS1 track. Reactor level:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjIpc_Lbjk

Level 10,000 achieved

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Anachronox - So much awesome, epic music in this game, so I'll just throw out Blind Ambition.
    One of the stand out tracks for me was the Hephaestus Theme. But I agree, there was lots of goodness to be had throughout.

This is but one of the many classic tracks from Might and Magic VI.

Too many, here's a few in no particular order:

Turrican 2 - Main Title I loved most of the songs in the game to death but since i only get to pick one...

Wizball - Main Title Galway made som really fantastic tunes. Reyn Ouwehand brings out the brilliance live in this video.

VTM: Bloodlines - Ministry - Bloodlines This game had one of the best soundtracks ever. Many great songs but this is the best.

Homeworld - Yes - Homeworld Love this song, it's quite different and unique.

Quake - Main theme Quake is in my spine and so is this song by Nine Inch Nails. The whole soundtrack is great even if it's not really songs but ambience.

Well that's a few anyway.
    Last edited by Ahris; 20th May 2012 at 13:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahris View Post
    Turrican 2 - Main Title I loved most of the songs in the game to death but since i only get to pick one...
    Am I missing something here, or why does that link to "Bud Spencer & Terence Hill Best of part 1"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Am I missing something here, or why does that link to "Bud Spencer & Terence Hill Best of part 1"?
    HAHA, it was something i linked on facebook, must have had it in the clipboard and forgotten to copy the right one, fixed now

Administrator
    Izanagi Cavern from Okami

The music from the original Settlers

Byzantine Power Game from Max Payne

200 Meters from Red Alert 2 - go Frank Klepacki

Title from Mega Lo Mania - RIP Richard Joseph

Also Moody Breeze from Jaguar XJ220 - unfortunately a pretty bad upload. Martin Iveson still puts some choons out under the name AtJazz.

Speaking of Frank Klepacki, I've always loved his early work on Lands of Lore, like the track that's played in the Gray Eagle Inn. I prefer the AdLib version to the more natural sounding Roland rendition, simply because that's the way I heard the music back when I played the game.

Oh man, so many songs from so many games to choose from...

Quote Originally Posted by scumble
    Byzantine Power Game from Max Payne
    Hell yes. Great song. Then again I liked all the tracks from Max Payne.

Here's a few I enjoyed, starting with the obligatory Max Payne one for quoting.

Max Payne - Graphic Novel - Fits the mood and is that signature track one might think of when thinking of Max Payne (other than the main menu track.)

Mirror's Edge - The Shard - The entire game's soundtrack is great. The main menu song and this one seem to me to stand out the most though.

Portal 2 - Want You Gone - Another great song from Jonathan Coulton

Left 4 Dead 2 - RE: Your Brains - I actually just listened to this again.. It has catchy lyrics and sounds so sincere

Red Dead Redemption - Born Unto Trouble - A bit hard to choose just one song here but I really enjoyed Born Unto Trouble. Just fit so well with the game as you are exploring New Austin.

This is all I can think of for the moment in terms of newer titles, so now I'm going to list older titles.

Final Fantasy IX - Vivi's Theme - I really liked the soundtrack for this game. Some other greats were Kuja's Theme, Trance Kuja's Theme, the battle theme, Hilda Garde, Black Mage Village, and so on...

Resident Evil 4 - Serenity

Metal Gear Solid - Cavern - Probably because this is the song I remember the most but there are of course other good songs from this game

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Yell Dead Cell

Syphon Filter - Expo Center Reception

Syphon Filter 2 - Club 32

Quake II - Big Gun - All of them are good, hard to choose from. Really like the beginning of Big Gun though.

Diablo II - Tristram

I'd post even more but it's late.

Skate or Die! - I didn't like the game at all, but I regularly loaded it only to hear the music.

Zoids - I had a pirated copy of this game (hey! don't judge me, I was young!... Well... younger!), I didn't have a manual and didn't know how to play, so like Skate or Die I only loaded the game for the music.

The Last V8 - OK. I loved this game. But I suspect it was in big part because of the music.

BTW, get off my lawn!