TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891419 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you kicking?

It's like a mix of king's bounty, HoMM and choose-your-own-adventure, with you playing a conquistador in hispaniola (and later, mexico). Your hermandad of hand-picked grunts represents your fighting force, and fights, when they happen, are turn-based hex-map battles, which (as you acquire skills for your dudes) get fairly tactical fairly quickly -flanking attacks, attacks of opportunity etc.
    When not fighting, you (as a single representative unit, a la kings bounty) wander around the world map finding interesting things and resolving quests and stuff, and have to camp each night, assigning people to various roles like patrolling and hunting and so on (and if you fuck this up, like forgetting to post guards, there's a chance someone'll run off with half your stuff).
    You need to keep everyone fed, too. And happy: each member of your team has various character traits, like "pious", "greedy" or "racist". Be too accepting of all these weird foreign religions and whatnot, and your pious and racist people get pissed off.
    Also, definite emphasis on multiple ways to resolve conflicts, and the writing is great (coz it's by Jonas Waever, of The Nameless Mod): it's well researched and a lot of it is roughly based on actual events (and the shit the conquistadors got up to is...terrifying). Sometimes you feel like a horrible person no matter how you resolve a situation.
    Also, sometimes it's funny as hell.

You encounter a group of native hunters. They jabber something at you loudly.

>Ask Isabela to translate
    >ATTACK
    >Shout "DOES ANYONE SPEAK SPANISH, HERE?"

Disclaimer: Jonas is a friend of mine, so I'm biased as hell, admittedly, but yeah, it's a fun game. Hard, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Velocity doesn't apply Gs in any context, after all.
    In an atmosphere, velocity relative to that atmosphere results in acceleration.

But consider: if you have an engine that can output enough force to accelerate you at 8Gs.
    That's, uh, quite an engine. The space shuttle, for example, caps out at 3Gs. A typical fighter jet's thrust/weight ratio is less than 2Gs. And with those 2Gs and an atmosphere, they produce 10+G turns, no problem. What could you do with 8Gs and an atmosphere? Kill your pilot, for one thing.

In the atmosphere this will not be sustainable, because eventually air resistance will balance out the thrust.
    At 8Gs straight line, you're going to leave the atmosphere, and if you include the ability to turn, then your statement is just false.

(and indeed will probably be slightly higher than 8Gs, because air resistance never applies)
    See, this is such a strange notion to me. It's like, what are you talking about? In space, your Gs cap at your thrust/weight ratio. Atmospheres get you to Gs many times your thrust capabilities. A craft capable of 8G could get no more than 8G in space, and potentially much more in an atmosphere.

And yes, I'm picturing a ship with thrusters all over the shop, catbarf.
    If you're mimicking fighter-jet movements, then smaller roll-jets and strong forward and down engines are all that's really necessary. Also, if you're planning on having a human pilot (and 8Gs acceleration), that's a good idea; 8Gs of downward acceleration (thrust from engines pointing up) will quickly burst the capillaries in the pilot's eyes, and kill her not long after. There are huge differences in how the human body withstands G-forces from various directions.

...and then considering that such a fighter plane would be able to do everything an atmospheric plane could do, but would be able to pull off more strenuous maneuvers.
    Nonsense. You'll need a much more powerful engine to perform even comparable maneuvers, and the cap on G's has long been the squishy meat-bag inside rather than the titanium alloy aircraft performing it.

Ok, yeah: clearly I am not getting it. "velocity relative to that atmosphere results in acceleration." Velocity never results in an acceleration. Change in velocity, sure, but that's not velocity, it's literally a definition of acceleration.

How exactly does a craft capable of generating 8-Gs of thrust (in an atmosphere) manage to generate significantly more than that in an atmosphere? I'm honestly confused. My space example was to account for the fact that 8Gs (final) in atmosphere is against air resistance, whereas the same thrust in space would produce higher acceleration.
    I mean, sure, if the atmosphere was "a brick wall", and you already had a decent velocity, then the deceleration would be killer, but if the atmosphere was a brick wall then your 8Gs are not going to get you a decent velocity in the first place. Are we purely talking "use massively streamlined shape to acquire high speed, then change inclination to expose massively unstreamlined shape to atmosphere, decelerate on resistance and thus get as close to hitting a brick wall as possible"?

Because that's pretty much the only way I can see it working, and if that's the case, well, A) that seems like a stupid thing to do, and B) while I'd be nevertheless forced to admit defeat, I'm also slightly disturbed at how much more hardcore physicsy you're taking this. I'm still thinking along line of "look how much more we could throw the pilot around if we didn't constantly have to account for atmosphere", and you're practically getting into "they didn't alter apparent Gs for minor changes in altitude, those fucks. That's no hardcore sim" territory, here.

We seem to be essentially have a conflict regarding

A)how much pseudo science is allowed (i.e. you include fuel and likely thrust capacities, and fucking ship alloy compositions, I use "computer game space magic")
    B)what maneuvers are involved, since I guess I could also come up with a ton of ways of getting insane decelerations in space with only an 8G thruster, if you really want (space can have brick walls)
    C)how destructive they are (8Gs being apparently a weak-ass cap, but also fatal?)

I kinda feel like I waded into an argument about horse meat in food and have suddenly found myself trying to justify buffer choice in diagnostic qPCR. It's an argument that has rapidly gone way beyond my initial questioning, and into crazy territory.

So, really, unless you actually care enough to address any of that, I'm gonna just say "assuming we're talking the aerodynamic brickwall example..ok, I guess you win, I guess?" and concede the field. Congrats.

So, anyway: what's everyone kicking? Apart from brick walls at 8Gs, of course.

verbose douchebag
    As also posted on the SIm CIty thread, I am kicking Civitas, if only because fuck EA.

Seriously though, it looks good, and with a strong modding community, it could become incredibly diverse.

Ooo. Interesting.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

That Kickstarter was an incredibly disorganised mess. There was a lack of follow-through on promised updates ("We're working on a big update for tomorrow." *5 days later, no still update) by the game's developers and barely any communication in general from them. What's more there was a lack of transparency, the developers were so secretive. Small wonder why many believed it to be a scam.

I would not have touched this project with a barge pole.

Slightly relevant, I'm kickstarting this cute little art project. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...just-the-women Injected two $15 pledges in, gonna commission Cate Archer from NOLF and either SHODAN or Viktoria...likely SHODAN as she's more recognizable.

verbose douchebag
    As a long-time fan of the Battle Isle series (I have them perma-installed), I am kicking the SHIT out of THIS.

I loved History Line as a teenager, but when I tried to replay the game after it came out on GOG (or, if ZB is watching, GoG ) I couldn't get back into it. The controls were just so amazingly unwieldy!

Ghost of a Tail

Picked up on this from from RPS, I'd love to see more games with art in the art direction.

I like it when he scratches his bum.

Just saw that and tried to get to the IGG page, but it doesn't load. I wouldn't be surprised if half the internet is there right now. Seriously, I want to make this game happen. Watching the trailer, I thought two things: Redwall and Morrowind. What could be more perfect.

Infinite Space 3

New sequel to Strange Adventures & Weird Worlds? Backed!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...3-sea-of-stars

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    New sequel to Strange Adventures & Weird Worlds? Backed!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...3-sea-of-stars
    You beat me to it! I read about that on the way to work this morning and thought hell-yeah, what all us SAIS fans have been waiting for...a sequel...finally!

In my opinion they probably should have developed the game a bit more before submitting it to Kickstarter though. What they've got there looks really Alpha compared with other popular titles on kickstarter -- at least the ones that I have seen anyway. I mean, there's not much to look at yet and Ikka isn't exactly the most entertaining presenter I've ever seen. I wonder why Aardvark didn't jump on as well.

Anyway, looking forward to this and I've put down some cash towards their efforts. I like the idea of the 3D navigational maps and am hoping that they might consider doing this for combat as well. It would definitely make the Urlukai or Zorg battles very challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I'm curious whether the Dreamfall Episodes Kickstarter will reach its final goal, The Longest Journey Home... which I'm almost more curious about than the main game itself.
    Doesn't look like that's going to happen

Besides Dreamfall Chapters, I'm supporting DreadOut (link to the playable demo there too), basically because I just want more Fatal Frame.

One more non-videogame project: Chapeau Claque, a new album of (generally) cheery German music.

They also stick to their promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Doesn't look like that's going to happen
    They still want to do it; it's just not going to be their next project after Episodes.

I got my $100 backer award for kickstarting The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa (aka Barkley 2).

Warning, lewd levels off the charts:
    http://i.imgur.com/eF68cVA.jpg

Totally SFW.

Quote Originally Posted by retractingblinds View Post
    I got my $100 backer award for kickstarting The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa (aka Barkley 2).

Warning, lewd levels off the charts:
    http://i.imgur.com/eF68cVA.jpg

Totally SFW.
    I wish I knew about that game before the Kickstarter ended because I would have happily helped fund it. I think it's going to be great.

i've been watching the ToG streams and everything, and they've improved a ton since the original Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. Have you played that at all?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I'll tell you what I'm NOT gonna back, Shadow of the Eternals

I loved Eternal Darkness and MGS: The Twin Snakes, but HAHA, NO. Not in a million years will I give Denis Dyack any money directly.

Further reading:-
    There's no guarantees that Precursor will use your money to actually make the game.
    It uses "flexible funding", so they get your money regardless of whether they meet their funding goal or not.
    They're taking instant payments through Paypal and not using a middleman with "insurance" in place to protect backers like Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

Precursor is using art assets, computers and other equipment purchased from Silicon Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by retractingblinds View Post
    i've been watching the ToG streams and everything, and they've improved a ton since the original Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. Have you played that at all?
    I played the original a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I haven't been following the development of the sequel, actually, but what I've seen looks great so far.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I'll tell you what I'm NOT gonna back, Shadow of the Eternals
    Now they've launched a 2nd kickstarter campaign, to run simultaneous with their crowdfunding campaign.

These guys are really kind of strange, and starting to look a little desperate.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I saw that earlier. Their argument for not using Kickstarter before is that it's only available in US and Canada. How that explains the countless KS campaigns by studios located in neither country? I'm guessing you'd be forced to use USD or GBP. (Frankly I'm glad that USD is the standard for KS, because screw the high valued Euro by comparison).

Level 10,000 achieved

The Spintires kickstarter is up, and pricey as hell! 40 pounds for a copy of the finished game! Then again ST is most defenitely a niche title, and at a £40 000 goal I guess they're hoping that a thousand off-road-trucking-sim-starved weirdoes will chip in. And you know what? I'm one of those off-road-trucking-sim-starved weirdoes. Spintires has been one of my most anticipated titles since I first played the 2011 demo a year ago. Backed!

The supplied tech demo is great but in the end it was the gameplay description that swayed me to part with my money.

The wild off-road adventure begins in Russia, circa 1980-90. You are supplied with a soviet truck and a set of primitive tools for navigation. The task is to collect and deliver logs from deep within the wilderness, ready for shipment abroad. First, you must load the truck with the logs using the supplied claw crane, then using a map and compass you need navigate to your objectives with the logs secure to complete the objective successfully. Plot a course and navigate using landmarks whilst trying not to loose your precious cargo, becoming stuck in the mud or depleting all of your fuel reserves. Plans accordingly so that you can pass a fuelling out-post and stop by when required.

Having to plan out the route, getting use a crane to load on cargo and having to navigate by using landmarks? Aww hell yeah.

I would encourage one and all to check out the playable Tech Demo, available via Oovee's website. Worth trying out even if you're not interested in off-road-trucking, simply to check out that gameengine. Seriously, it's a great engine. Loads fast, runs and looks great. And the mud, water and vegetation physics are top-notch.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    "Who would even buy this?"

"That henke fellow on TTLG's a guaranteed sale."

"That forum's still around?"

"Gotta keep the Thief fans off the street somehow."

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891419 ... LastLast