TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101520 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you kicking?

Moderator and Priest
    You know you're downloading the demo just like I am right now. We might make fun of Henke for his weird taste in games, but physics trucks are a weakness we all have.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Actually, futuristic racers are my weakness, and have been ever since I got Wipeout XL as my first Playstation game a whole half my life ago.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Wipeout games were always nice tech demos for Sony systems at launch.

Someone at Sony must've had a conscience though since they recently closed their Cambridge studio responsible for copypasting the same tracks over and over since the '90s. Now if only Namco would do the same for their Ridge Racer team.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You know you're downloading the demo just like I am right now. We might make fun of Henke for his weird taste in games, but physics trucks are a weakness we all have.
    T'is true, no man can resist the siren song of the physics truck.

Still Subjective
    I've got to be honest here guys - I just don't get it. I don't understand what itch these games scratch. Go for a real drive, it's not like these are racing games where you're doing something you absolutely can't in real life - go drive on some country roads.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm not about to go offroading in my Nissan Almera thankyouverymuch. The closest I get to this kind of thing IRL is driving my dad's tractor through the forrest when we're out cutting trees and logging. I enjoy it very much but it's not something I can do on a weekly basis, much less whenever I get the itch to do so. Also, getting stuck in the mud in a game is more fun when it just adds to the challenge of navigating the terrain, and doesn't include the actual arduous labor of getting your vehicle out of there.

Level 10,000 achieved

EMERGENCY SPINTIRES KICKSTARTER UPDATE MAY I HAVE UR ATTENTION

They lowered the pledge for a digital copy to a more reasonable 20. At that price I don't see how EVERYONE everywhere ever would not chip in.

So pledge, guys.

Come on.

COME ON YOU ASSHOLES I WANNA PLAY THIS GAME

I have to say I'm more keen on the likes of "Screamer 4x4" than "Careful Mud Trucker". That water and mud tech does look brilliant, though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well if you prefer your off-roading to be in the context of a competition and not work, check out Off-Road Drive. It's not quite as good as Screamer 4x4, but I think it might be the best off-road "racer" that's come out since.

All these cool truck sim type things should just get together and make a game version of Wages of Fear. Make it co-op too for added spice.
    I might have more interest that way. (I know there's missions in a few of them that are similar, but I want the real deal)

verbose douchebag
    I've never been in to racing games and I'm not sure the driving-as-job games excite me either, but I'd play the shit out of any new game which attempted something like Carmageddon or Twisted Metal.

Chakat sex pillow
    You mean like this one?

verbose douchebag
    Thank you Sulphur. I'll play the shit out of that.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Autoduel is planned as an online multiplayer game
    I was interested up until I read the above sentence.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Denis Dyack and Precursor's founders (not Dyack) address the Kotaku article.
    >

Summary:-
    • He says it's bullshit from unconfirmed sources. Many publications passed on the article before Kotaku, including Chris Kohler of Wired, because it was all unconfirmed.
    • He argues that he does value artists otherwise so many wouldn't have stayed at SK for like 20 years.
    • Activision had full disclosure on what was happening on X-Men Destiny. SK had game making database software where Acti could see who was working on what at any given moment and they could download assets/builds/etc by the minute for their own disposal.
    • At Precursor Games Dyack has nothing to do with the business side of things, he's solely focusing on the creative.
    • The founders of Precursor paint Dyack as man who had an open door policy and valued what his employees had to say.

SPACE VIKINGS!!!!

Level 10,000 achieved
    On the off chance that any of you haven't already pledged your lifesavings to the Spintires Kickstarter, I made a video of the recently added UAZ!

COME ON YOU DONGWADS PLEDGE

DONGWADS : "What is game?!"

henke: "uh, you drive lumber around Siberia."

DONGWADS: "And?"

henke: "and it's really hard coz it's muddy"

DONGWADS: "Game look like Far Cry 3. What proportion of game like Far Cry 3, expressed as percentage?"

henke: "uh, maybe 15, plus a million percent mud!"

DONGWADS: _

Great video, henke; that looks more like fun to me, so I'm definitely tempted. It still seems a bit pricey (even at half the original ask), but I'll at least consider it now!

The kickstarter project I'm interested is Limit Theory, and Voxel Engine isn't on Kickstarter yet, but it will be eventually... Both of them are procedurally generated open world games (for scifi and fantasy respectively), which is all the rage these days.

Voxel Engine, or the main game that will come out of it, is probably the upcoming game I'm most interested in because it's the ideal blend of Minecraft-like generation & modifiability for a Skyrim-like world. I can already imagine all the building projects -- cities & castles and cathedrals -- & adventure maps people will make on it, and of course a cool multiplayer place to hang out. I mean it could have all the fun & mods & energy that Minecraft is getting that's in a "realistic" fantasy world.

You lot remember The Neverhood? The guys behind it got back together, including the director and the music man and writer. The kickstarter is supposed to go live today. It's called Armikrog. It's gonna be another claymation point & click adventure. https://www.facebook.com/armikrog They've got some stuff there about early development and stuff.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by retractingblinds View Post
    You lot remember The Neverhood? The guys behind it got back together, including the director and the music man and writer. The kickstarter is supposed to go live today. It's called Armikrog. It's gonna be another claymation point & click adventure. https://www.facebook.com/armikrog They've got some stuff there about early development and stuff.
    Dethtoll will be pledging $100 minimum, because he's Doug TenNapel's #1 fan.

Doug Tennapel can go fuck himself with a rake. But don't nobody tell him I said that -- he might mistake it as me coming on to him and that would be gay!

(is that why you posted that, Eva? So I'd kneejerk-react and remind everyone why Doug Tennapel sucks?)

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Doug Tennapel can go fuck himself with a rake. But don't nobody tell him I said that -- he might mistake it as me coming on to him and that would be gay!

(is that why you posted that, Eva? So I'd kneejerk-react and remind everyone why Doug Tennapel sucks?)
    doesn't stop him from being a great animator and writer.

Actually I think he's kind of overrated on top of being a big flappy bigot.

Energy Hook

I could have sworn this was discussed here already, but I must be thinking of RPS comments.

"Energy Hook" is an indie project based around the web-swinging mechanics of "Spiderman 2" (with the developer being the same guy responsible for them in the older game). I've not played the Spiderman games, but evidentially SM2 was the one where the swinging felt like you were attaching to real things, rather than magical sky hooks.

As the new game is all about the swinging, it seems that you get style points for doing it well:

Working on Tony Hawk games gave me an appreciation for games that reward you for style, and something I never really got to do with the mechanics in Spider-Man 2 was explore that. So this is an opportunity for me to do just that, create a swinging game where style is just as important as speed, where mixing up wall-runs and loops and big air with your swings is more important than just getting from point A to point B.
    The Kickstarter campaign seems to have been a little controversial, as he made it a $1 target (hence guaranteeing he gets all money pledged), with all the real targets as stretch goals. His explanation is that the basic game will be released regardless of Kickstarter, and so the campaign really is all about the stretch goals -- how much better can the game be made with a cash injection? I concluded that he seemed pretty genuine about it all, so it might be a bit unfortunate that this approach put some people off. I guess it's difficult to judge how these things will play out.

I also had to appreciate that his response to hitting the goal to get Brian Luzietti doing the game audio was "We're a team again! Snoopy dance." :)

Next goals are a first-person mode with Oculus Rift support (first-person VR spiderman does sound kinda awesome :), and at $55K the Spiderman 2 animation director will be hired to work on mid-air animations. They moved the latter down from being the $110K goal (which is now looking very unlikely), because they really want it to happen.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../energy-hook-0

There's about a week left to go.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 2nd Jun 2013 at 20:40.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101520 ... LastLast