TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you kicking?

My first Kickstarter project has been completed: Expeditions: Conquistador. It'll be a while until I get around to it, but it's cool to be able to point to a project and say that I contributed to this, even though in a fairly small way only.

My 2nd kickstarter to back this year is Massive Chalice by Double Fine.

I love a good strategy rpg so figured why not. Plus Double Fine have a good track record.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

RE: Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded

The game was due at the end of May but during the KS backers beta they found a boatload of bugs, so it's been pushed back to the end of June.

Anyway the score by Journey's Austin Wintory sounds awesome!

A Hat in Time looks like an adorable little platformer where you not only get to be the little girl, you get to thwart the devil deeds of another one. If that doesn't appeal to you, how about a banjo kazooie/mario 64 style collect-a-thon platformer with influence from other great run'n'jump games from the era? I am only kicking in for the moe factor.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hon-platformer

Level 10,000 achieved

SPINTIRES Kickstarter status: GOAL REACHED! 43 BIG SMACKERS IN DA BANK!

At 3000 pounds over the goal, and with 7 days to go I'm thinking it might even hit the Co-op Multiplayer stretch goal.

About a day left on Energy Hook. I thought it might make a bigger splash, but it's hardly moved at all in the past week. I was hoping they'd reach the 55K target, but even 40K seems in question.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Spin Tires KS completed at 60,935. That's 20,935 over the target. As a thanks to the fans, the devs are releasing an update to the tech demo to open it up a bit and make it moddable. The old 2011 demo had a surprisingly active mod scene where people would make new trucks and maps for it, so I'm sure we'll be seeing some cool new content show up for Spin Tires before it even releases in January of next year.

verbose douchebag
    No way in a million years would you catch me on one of these, but FUUUUUUCK, what an idea!

I thought it was a land based airboat at first. Kinda less interested that it's not.

verbose douchebag
    Now that, I would buy

Features a built-in tent for flamping (fly/camping)
    I cannot believe I now live on a planet where we NEED a word for 'fly/camping'.

I'm not sure whether this is awesome, terrifying, or both.
    Last edited by DDL; 21st Jun 2013 at 12:54.

I can't imagine how they can claim in all seriousness that it is a "safe" form of travel. Overhead power lines, accidentally landing in heavy freeway traffic, young children taking it for a spin... It looks like fun but goddamn

The Unknown Game

I haven't seen devs take such an academic approach to gaming since, well, Looking Glass. Count the academics working on it. Looks like it's going to be the ur-procedural game, for the fantasy genre anyway.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I can't imagine how they can claim in all seriousness that it is a "safe" form of travel. Overhead power lines, accidentally landing in heavy freeway traffic, young children taking it for a spin... It looks like fun but goddamn
    Can you imagine the mayhem if even 1% of people travelled like this?

How about this?

As far as aircraft go, that flying bike seems actually pretty safe. No extremely volatile fuels, keeps to low speed, aerodynamically stable, and remains aerodynamic during power loss, not to mention it always has a parachute deployed. Also remember, 25mph is an extraordinarily low speed for any aircraft.

It'd still be enormously dangerous to try to take off and land in any crowded area but if you have an open field (even just like a public park or something) I can't see it being any more dangerous than, say, a motorcycle. Once up in the air there's not much that can go wrong.

My main questions would be fuel capacity and retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    How about this?
    A good way for some to avoid the booze bus.

Tbh, I really don't think I could trust the average home pilot to fly any safer than the average driver.

RE: Tug

Despite the daunting array of Phd students involved in its development, that video didn't do much to pique my interest in it for some reason. I can't put my finger on it exactly, it's just the vibe I get from the presentation which makes it appear more of an academic exercise, with the art work and environments existing merely as a backdrop to the tech they are roadshowing.

In saying that, some of the features they are trying to pull off are ambitious and potenially groundbreaking, and if successful could have some amazing ramifications for the gaming industry. I just hope it's also fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Tbh, I really don't think I could trust the average home pilot to fly any safer than the average driver.
    Keep in mind the takeoffs & landings are automated, so the driver is only in control of in-air maneuvers... Which you'd think have to be at least safer than driving, considering there's not really much to actually run into up there.

The thing I wondered about was that breakdowns would be more catastrophic (the para-sail bike is better for this, since if all else fails the parachute floats you down), and people dropping things (or themselves) or trespassing, and there not being an easy way to stop things like that.

RE: TUG
    Hmm, actually my thinking was sort of similar... This game itself is like a prototype of this kind of genre (I'd call it Minecraft-like for a Skyrim-like world) that I think may actually fizzle, but the next game that's inspired by it will probably be all kinds of epic.

It's possible that what we saw is like Minecraft alpha that set the stage for what came later, if it evolves as much as they say. But they need to bump it to that next level. For one, I actually don't like the cartoonish elements IMO (the PC & NPCs & objects, trees, etc) much. Minecraft is for cartoony. The whole point of this, what should set it apart, is that it's more realistic & gritty, so it should take a more realistic Skyrim aesthetic with the PC, NPCs, objects, and world IMO. Actually that's a really important part I really wish they'd adopt, or leave it for another game or a branch version. As it is now, all that's kind of a turnoff to me ... also the "tech demo" flavor that you mention.

The reason I picked it out BTW is because it uses Miguel Cepero's VoxelFarm engine (blog), which I've been following forever. Some of the videos it shows are *exactly* the kind of procedural terrain & architecture (the mountain ranges, trees, caves, temples) I want to see for this kind of game... I hope TUG, or a branch version of it maybe, takes up that aesthetic.
    Last edited by demagogue; 22nd Jun 2013 at 11:34. Reason: added comment on flying car

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Heh. Thanks, Eva :)

Backed my third game on kickstarter: Satelite Reign

I'm a HUGE fan of the original Syndicate + didn't mind Syndicate Wars, so was a no brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Backed my third game on kickstarter: Satelite Reign
    Me too. Always will be a Syndicate fanboy.

Damn straight

is Best Pony
    Yes, insta-pledge from me.

Little Witch Academia 2, the possibility for a series from one of the most delightful animated shorts in years, I'm all game for that. Gonna toss $100 their way next Thursday.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tch-academia-2

The original, if you're not in the weeb-scene. Totally worth watching if you like animation of any kind.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast