TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you kicking?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Backed my third game on kickstarter: Satelite Reign

I'm a HUGE fan of the original Syndicate + didn't mind Syndicate Wars, so was a no brainer for me.
    That one looked really good to me too. Which is interesting because I didn't like Syndicate very much really.

Backed Satellite Reign and Tangiers. A sandbox stealth game that rebuilds itself based on the players actions. It looks bloody gorgeous!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ealist-stealth

I just independently saw Tangiers, looks pretty cool. It's definitely indie unpolished, but it's got stealth & I like the way the environment evolves with the gameplay, which we've talked about before (in the Zany Game Ideas thread) as one potential way to make exploration more into a game mechanic itself.

Since I know few games that have ever played with that idea, it'll be interesting to look at just as a data-point to see how the mechanic plays.

And generally speaking there could be more surreal games out there, where the rules of reality have their own dream-like logic not bound to ours. It can take advantage of what's special about interactivity better, and there's innumerable other realities out there to play with to always stay too close to ours.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm also backing Tangiers, just got a line on it a few days ago from skacky here on the boards. Looks like it's going to be close on meeting it's goal. Thief and stealth fans check it out, here's a short description that basically sold me without seeing any video or gameplay:

Tangiers is a blend of stealth and exploration for Windows, Mac and Linux built within the Unity engine.

Using the sandbox stealth of Looking Glass Studio's Thief series as the base of Tangiers, we're looking to build a world inspired by, embodying and adapting the alternative avant-garde of the 20th century.

Writers such as Burroughs and Ballard, artists within the Dada movement and the music and textures of Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire and David Lynch all drive us. They are our motivations - often oblique, sometimes in open reference.

Still quite worried about Satelite Reign. As of this post its sitting on 272K with another 78K needed with only 7 days to go. Daily it's been getting around 6-9K for quite a while now. So unless there is a late surge then it looks like this ones not going to happen.

So get backing guys. I really want to see this game get done. Even an extra 10k to that total would make a big difference. I would put more down but the summer sale has depleted my bank account by a fair bit.

Ah, Satellite Reign is the game I will probably regret not backing the most, but I've decided against supporting Kickstarter projects with exclusive in-game content. Hope it will make it.

Oh well, at least that means a lot more money for Tangiers.

I came back to share about Tangiers and found out that's it's already discussed. The game looked really good and I can't wait to get back to some Thief moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    --
    belfong, the self proclaimed german tourist

That Tangiers project looks really good. It kind of reminds me of another project that I backed and that's nearing completion -- Paper Sorcerer: http://www.ultrarunaway.com/.

Maybe Tangiers deserves a separate thread here, as it's so heavily Thief inspired?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Maybe most people think the zombie thing is played out, but this still looks like a lot of fun to me, so I pledged. I do tend to think they aimed a bit high on their Kickstarter goal though.

I just backed Tangiers after learning of it from the Penny-Arcade Report and then popped over to TTLG to see if it was being discussed here yet.
    If the guys making it are Thief fans, does anyone know if they're active in these forums?

Since you asked... I lurk the boards daily, have done since about 2001. Do have another account, but it's filled with stupid fucking posts I made when I was 14.

Scariest part of game development is anticipating Koki's reaction.

I haven't heard any talk about Starbound on this forum. Is anyone else here looking forward to it? It's basically an unofficial sequel to Terraria with crap loads more content and features. I preordered it as soon as they enabled orders.

I backed Tangiers up a few days ago and got a thanks reply from Michael. Keep up the good work! The funny thing is, I'm currently attending a summer school for digital humanities and showed it to a few guys. One of them is currently exploring ways to visualize and convey information in 3D spaces. This is a lot of words for computer games with brains in them, but the audience was mature enough to take him seriously (heck, a philosophy professor yesterday explained computer functions with Angry Birds!). He wants to do something with early 90s Prague (quite noir) IIRC and so I showed him your concept of materialising words that can be picked up.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I do tend to think they aimed a bit high on their Kickstarter goal though.
    It will probably get funded. If there's anything that the masses love, it's zombies, Minecraft and tower defence. This one has all three of those elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Maybe most people think the zombie thing is played out, but this still looks like a lot of fun to me, so I pledged. I do tend to think they aimed a bit high on their Kickstarter goal though.

I dunno, that game looks extremely generic and uninspired. I'd hesitate to back a game that looks like a Minecraft mod without some evidence that they have good ideas of their own.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

FYI, EA's interest in making further Alice games HINGES on the success of this Kickstarter. American McGee's studio, Spicy Horse, is trying to secure funds to option the film rights and produce a series of animated shorts. The original game's composer, Chris Vrenna is on-board, as well as classic HK action film director, Tsui Hark.

Are you ready to lose Alice?

If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you believe in Alice and her Wonderland. The question is – have you proven your belief by supporting her latest adventure?

Let me share a secret with you… I’m worried. I’m worried about Alice’s future. Why? Because a fan recently wrote me and said, “I’m going to sit this one out. I don’t care about the Otherlands animations, I just want the game.” This made me realize that I really need your help to save Alice. I wrote back and explained, “The success of the Otherlands project will prove the value of Alice to people who think the audience just isn’t there.” “I get it, I love Alice, but I can only give you $5,” came the response. It warmed my heart and made me realize it’s your passion that keeps me tied to Alice. The project gives me reason to get up in the morning, but if that support doesn’t come then I feel there’s little to motivate me to keep going.

People just like you are backing. They are making a difference.

Here’s what I need you to do: I need you to keep the long term picture in mind. I need you to back this project in any amount. Why? Because this isn’t just about the Otherlands animations – it’s about showing the world the importance of Alice and her Wonderland.

There are 11,000 people following the Alice: Otherlands Facebook page and over 30,000 people seeing posts from that page. If each of those people lent just a little support, our campaign would fund successfully in a matter of hours. We could show the world once and for all how important Alice is to us.

Won’t you help me do that?
    http://www.americanmcgee.com/2013/07...to-lose-alice/
    First stretch goal:- At $450,000, they'll be able to hire the actors responsible for Alice and Chesire Cat to reprise their roles.
    American McGee
    Alice and the Cheshire Cat (Susie Brann and Roger Jackson) are back in Alice: Otherlands! We've secured commitments from both these great voice actors to lend their support to the series of Otherlands animations. Head over and check out details on the Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s/posts/553831

https://www.facebook.com/americanmcg...51594548172075

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    FYI, EA's interest in making further Alice games HINGES on the success of this Kickstarter. American McGee's studio, Spicy Horse, is trying to secure funds to option the film rights and produce a series of animated shorts. The original game's composer, Chris Vrenna is on-board, as well as classic HK action film director, Tsui Hark.
    ... and this is kind of what I always fear Kickstarter would (not deliberately) promote. Big Investor: "We'll make your game if YOU pay for its development". YOU ARE THE GODDAMN INVESTOR IT'S YOUR JOB TO PROVIDE THE FUNDHAHAHAHARHARAHAR^

Southquarter.com/fms
    The press release I read states that AM sees these shorts as the third part of the trilogy (the games being the first 2, of course). That in turn would potentially lead to a movie. I didn't see any mention of a new game in the plan. You can assume a game would be involved if there's a movie, but with not even a mention, I'm not very optimistic.

Personally, I have no interest in funding animated shorts, others opinions may vary. I think if he were really serious about a game, he would just simply try to fund the game. I get the feeling he's trying to move beyond that.

First stretch goal:- At $450,000, they'll be able to hire the actors responsible for Alice and Chesire Cat to reprise their roles.
    Uh, with 3 days left, and currently at 150K, I think it's safe to say they're not going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Harvey View Post
    Since you asked... I lurk the boards daily, have done since about 2001. Do have another account, but it's filled with stupid fucking posts I made when I was 14.

Scariest part of game development is anticipating Koki's reaction.
    Hey Alex! Good to see you here! I hope Tangiers get funded. Can't wait to see what you have. I'm not sure if anyone here get that you are the person behind Tangiers.

Is it true that Michael's notebook is on duct tape? If it's so old, how can it run 3D game??
    --
    belfong, the self proclaimed german tourist

I hadn't backed anything for a while but in the last couple of weeks I've backed a whole load of stuff (LIONESS, Lacuna Passage, The Agents (card game), Project Maiden). I've also thrown some money towards Tangiers, with the beta option making it my largest Kickstarter pledge to date; it looks so good and I want to get as much of it that I can.
    Last edited by Angel Dust; 3rd Aug 2013 at 17:24.

LGS

Thanks Angel Really trying to get Tangiers to carry a lot of the Thief "feeling", so I hope we do you good

And yes Belfong - the laptop is held together by ductape It can't actually play Tangiers, but it just about lets him sort out textures and stuff....

PC Gamering Smartey Man

...and Alice Otherlands is funded. :thumbup:

Alex, Tangiers looks amazing! Fantastic work. Anyone who's interested should definitely check out the latest update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hD5kqTgFBI

Southquarter.com/fms
    As I watch Tangiers slowly scrape and crawl to their Kickstarter finish line, I start to realize why EM has decided broaden Thief's appeal and play up to the console audience. I really thought there would be far more interest in this game, and it has gotten decent press.

But just because I understand it, doesn't mean I like it.

Same. I was kind of hoping that the eh... "modern design" of Thi4f would give us a boost from people after a more traditional stealth approach. Apparently that's not the case, in fact one of the most common bits of feedback I get is "meh, stealth".

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast