TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Dogs (Ubi E3 launch)

Watch Dogs (Ubi E3 launch)

Ok, cross posting RPS is kinda redundant around here, but holy crap, look at this thing.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...nk-open-world/

Need I mention, it's really really hard to impress me with a game video. Normally it's a matter of "well, it's probably fun to playyy, I guess" even with games I know I'll probably like.
    This on the other hand is nuts. If it's half as detailed as it looks it'll be insane.

Well, that looked quite impressive.

Realistically, what's the chance the game will even come close to that?

I can't really figure out what sort of game it's trying to be- it looks like someone took GTA4, added a bunch of admittedly really cool hacking features, and then demoed an assassination mission. That's neat, but I feel like I need to see more to understand what exactly the game has to offer.

I'm optimistically going for 'Human Revolution cubed in depth and detail'. And not just because it has free fluro tube design in it.

Yeah, it looks good. Having said that, some of its "tricks" are a little obvious. The traffic for the car crash appears the moment the traffic lights are messed with, for example, rather than it being based on existing traffic and the "background info" bit on each NPC is clearly just generic guff rather than something that could be used in most cases.

It's marketing and back story, but the trailer has a shit-tonne of contemporary relevance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3F3KW-2ABc

I'm interested, for sure. Let's hope they build upon it beyond assassination jobs.

The Alchemist
    Came here just to post this. Amazing.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Ubisoft means I'm getting this on console, but I am absolutely planning on getting this.

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't see how they could run that on a current-gen console without a massive drop in quality.

It can't, from what I gather. They're saying it's for the next generation (which means if it's good it'll probably get picked up as an exclusive by one of them).

There are a ton of super clever things going on in that gameplay demo. And the live E3 demonstration indicated that there was some sort of drop-in co-op that may be somewhat akin to what Arkane was trying to do with The Crossing.

The potential is there but I'm pretty skeptical. It looked heavily scripted and the fact that it ultimately resulted in a shootout was disappointing but it is an E3 show reel so some of that is to be expected. My biggest concern would be the cutscene that plays after you pull the target from the car. I hope this isn't an indication of the fact there are no other ways to resolve this mission, especially since the method chosen resulted in more than a few civilian casualties (you can 'rescue' that guy from the car but you've already caused his wife or whatever to take a bullet to the face).

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    They're saying it's for the next generation (which means if it's good it'll probably get picked up as an exclusive by one of them).
    If that's true then this game might well determine which one of the next gen consoles I buy. That looked fucking amazing.

Still Subjective
    I'll stop short of amazing, but it certainly is interesting. Funny how the gunplay and driving bit reminded me very much of GTA4/Max Payne 3.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Ubisoft means I'm getting this on console
    Ubisoft DRM has been pretty innocuous for a while now. Eg Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, AC:Revelations, From Dust.

This game COULD BE promising, provided that you have multiple options for achieving goals.

It looks absolutely gorgeous. I wonder when they are planning on releasing this?

The shameless, voyeuristic gameplay opens up a tonne of possibilities, particularly if the world is in fact as detailed as it is portrayed in that video. I do hope though that there's more to hacking then just clicking on an option or two on a smartphone.

verbose douchebag
    Colour me as excited as Henke about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    It can't, from what I gather. They're saying it's for the next generation
    No, they aren't. They initially didn't disclose any platforms, but they're saying PS3, X360 and PC now.

How is that cutscene triggered if you opt to do the mission in a different way?

Oh yeah, it's your standard Ubisoft scripted "first look" trailer. I'm sure this will be at least as good as Conviction was with all of the social stealth and hiding under desks and whatever.

Classical Master 2008
    It certainly looks like the next generation in trenchcoating. Impressive.

ZylonBane
    That video made me realize how much I hate forced third-person perspective. And 100% canned "takedowns".

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    How is that cutscene triggered if you opt to do the mission in a different way?
    The one at the end? The target is on the floor and the assassin is standing over him. I imagine it would work wherever there's enough floorspace. The animation of the assassin pulling him out of the car is probably a standard animation/move that you can pull on anyone in a car, so it hasn't neccessarily been made just for that one scene.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Colour me as excited as Henke about this.
    *high five*

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    I can't really figure out what sort of game it's trying to be- it looks like someone took GTA4, added a bunch of admittedly really cool hacking features, and then demoed an assassination mission. That's neat, but I feel like I need to see more to understand what exactly the game has to offer.
    That was exactly my reaction. I was impressed but equally confused by what the game is actually supposed to be gameplay-wise.

Knows his stuff
    It's modern day Assassin's Creed obviously. I fail to see what's confusing about it.

Never played AssCreed.