TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which FM threads have you "tagged" lately?

Archivist

Which FM threads have you "tagged" lately?

Having played some older FMs lately, it struck me how seldomly the practice of tagging a FM thread is used. From now on I intend to do so for every mission I play and I hope more people follow this example.

The benefits:
    - It makes a (type of) mission easier to find by searching for a tag via the Advanced Search Menu, by typing the mission's title, name of the author or a certain characteristic (like 'Mansion'). The more missions are properly tagged, the more complete a search result will be;
    - Searching for 'tags' is more effective then searching for 'keyword(s)' (ever tried to locate the thread about uncadonego's FM 'Just Take a Look' using keywords?);
    - "Can you recommend me a city FM?" kind of threads can become redundant;
    - Less known FMs can be rediscovered;
    - People stumbling on a FM thread can decide whether or not the missions meets their criteria to try it out (zombies, city FM etc.);
    - It might help kamyk to get his Fan mission listing by type-thread up-to-date.

Enough reason to encourage it's use .
    Feel free to post in this thread 1) the names of the FM's you recently played and tagged, 2) it's author and anything else you want to share.

Here are mine as example:
    Gerrard's Temple by jericho
    Out for a Revenge by Istvan Varga
    Profane Ascension by Tomi
    Retaliation by HipBreaker

Ideas to include as tag
    Types of setting: city, mansion, sewers, island etc.;
    Types of AI: mechanists, hammerites, undead etc.;
    FMs main goal: revenge, escape, kidnap etc.;
    Type of sky/weather: snow, rain, fog, moon;
    Other characteristics: [full mission title], [name of author], briefing movie (if included), maps (if included), recommended, etc.
    Last edited by The Phantom; 9th Jun 2012 at 10:18.

Back in Oct 2011 I added to the "Fan mission listing by type-thread" with a list I was trying to finalize for the Thief Wiki: updated list of tags.

I didn't get a lot of responses, to say the least, I guess people's ambition toward tagging wavers.

The Forums tagging is a bit unorganized, since it encompasses all Forums. Looking at this thread, there are almost too many tags. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I think the wikis implementation is easier to use.

The cloud on the wiki can be partially seen here(at the bottom), it is not fully searchable yet, since I wanted to finalize the tags first, but the final cloud would look like this.
    You can see how the tagging work on a FM page and how they are edited here.

Archivist
    You're doing a good job on those tag lists, Sxerks Quite extensive.

I wouldn't say interest for tagging is wavering. It has never been popular and extensively used, like with keyword searching that uses all text to find result, while tagging requires active involvement from members to expend it's database. But once the number of tags is growing, tagging itself should become more popular, I hope .

Quote Originally Posted by Sxerks View Post
    The Forums tagging is a bit unorganized, since it encompasses all Forums.
    It don't think this matters. While forum tagging might be more unorganized, Tag-searching for, say 'Mechanists', only locates those threads tagged with this hit, so it's unlikely you'll end up in a place/forum where you don't want to be.
    I believe the tag cloud on the Wiki is entirely visible, while on the forums you see only the most popular tags. Don't know which one would be easier or more user friendly, they both have their advantages I guess

Anyone who came up with ideas for FMs to play after a tag search (of course taking the so far limited participating threads into consideration) or recently tagged a thread himself after playing a mission? Feel free to share how you contributed.

Archivist
    I've tagged some threads of FMs by madwolf recently (Moth to a Flame & Turn of the Tide), as well as added [name of author] and [title of FM]-tags to threads of FMs by Ramirez's Old Fat Burricks, HipBreaker and madwolf.

Looking for tags included in any of these threads should bring up these missions as result.

Haha you mean tags are good for something other than cheap comedy?
    Well that's good news.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    None!

Archivist
    "None" what exactly ?

Without this thread, I'd not even have noticed there was a tagging system... Seems kinda pointless, but I'm that way about a lot of 'metadata' people add to things -- Just like if you bother putting a name on a file that actually makes sense you don't need metadata, the topic of a thread should me more than sufficient to find it.

That and nobody other than those lacking a life can be bothered to waste time filling out that extra information. Complete and utter waste of time.

Archivist
    I wish backers of tagging would have an equally distinct opinion about the subject.

I disagree here, it's certainly a useful tool. If the few minutes it takes to add a few tags to a thread is a "waste of time", the same can be said of posting a reply to a newly arrived FM.

But everyone can decide for themselves.

Without this thread, I'd not even have noticed there was a tagging system
    Then this thread at least served some purpose

The name of the file contains next to no information about what kind of FM it is, and thread text not much more. A tagging system is very useful for people that use it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    "None" what exactly ?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    Which FM threads have you "tagged" lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    None!

Still need a uniform tag list to go by. So if anyone is interested go over to that thread and discuss which tag are still needed and which ones don't really fit.

Also, the individual FM pages over on the wiki link to the applicable TTLG forum threads(for the most part), so it might be easier to find the right threads from there.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Alright, I tried to complete the tags in my fms threads, but I hit a limit. Any way to add more than 10 ? Phantom it seems you can add dozens and dozens of tags.

Edit : I just tagged last lighthouse keeper by Eternauta, because I played it yesterday. Awesome mission btw.
    For some reason I can add 25 tags in this thread. Maybe the fact I'm the author of my fms threads gives me an automatic limit...

Everytime I play a mission I think I'll add tags in its thread now.
    Last edited by DrK; 20th Jun 2012 at 08:14.

Archivist
    That's odd. I've added 20+ to the Turn of the Tide-thread, but just now noticed the line "You cannot add any tags. Please remove some first." when I try to add more. And for the Moth to a Flame-thread I can still include an additional 9 tags max. Don't know why you're limited to 10 only , maybe an admin/mod can tell.

Checking the Rocksbourg 3-thread, I can still add 15 tags. Maybe there's a lower limit for the thread starter? I would try to tag another FM thread, one you didn't started, and see how many you can include there.
    Feel free to PM/post the remaining tags you like to add for your FMs and I can include them for you.

Just did, see my previous post.
    Sure I'll send you the tags.

Archivist
    Eric, I just see you updated your post and confirmed my suspicion.

Thanks for your contribution btw

Don't know why you're limited to 10 only , maybe an admin/mod can tell.
    Enquiries are in hand.

"None" what exactly ?

No tags of any kind on FMs or other. Do you have a problem with the word "NONE"? Self explanatory to most who speak English.

Archivist
    No problem at all. Excuse me for not initially getting the meaning of the "sentence", but you might consider lengthen them a bit to avoid confusion.

No problem at all. Excuse me for not initially getting the meaning of the "sentence", but you might consider lengthen them a bit to avoid confusion.
    Excuse me for not elaborating. I thought the question and susequent answer were self-explanatory.

Archivist
    The threads for The Greyfeather Gems Part 1 & 2 are now supplied with tags and will show up in a tag-search henceforth. I also added a [mission title] and [author] tag to the thread of another mission by Morrgan: Careless Little Fly.

last lighthouse keeper by Eternauta
    Bonds of mine by Antimatter_16
    The box by Ghost_in_the_shell
    The hole by Eepcat

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Alright, I tried to complete the tags in my fms threads, but I hit a limit. Any way to add more than 10 ? Phantom it seems you can add dozens and dozens of tags.

Edit : I just tagged last lighthouse keeper by Eternauta, because I played it yesterday. Awesome mission btw.
    For some reason I can add 25 tags in this thread. Maybe the fact I'm the author of my fms threads gives me an automatic limit...

Everytime I play a mission I think I'll add tags in its thread now.
    Just to confirm, forum settings allow thread starters up to 10 tags of a 25 tag limit.

Archivist
    [Mission title] & [Author name] tags added to the thread 'A Smuggler's Request' (FM by RiCh E).

Comprehensive tags added to the thread 'Just Take A Look' (FM by uncadonego).

Added tags for What've You Found Little Fly by Xorak.

There's just the 2 of us adding tags, that's gonna take a loooong time

Archivist
    Lol, indeed, but maybe more people will join eventually .

Glad you're still participating, Eric!