TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First few seconds of the unreleased Thief 4 cinimatic!?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Un-related, but if an arrow does anything more than jack shit to that space-robot in Crysis 3 they Crytek are even further out of their barn than anyone suspected.
    Un-related? Both use a modern compound bow
    Last edited by nickie; 20th Jun 2012 at 06:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert4222 View Post
    Damn, apparently Thi4f is gonna be a first person shooter where we'll have to kill zombies and guards by shooting at them fire arrows:
    Well, that's a highly reasonable conclusion to draw based entirely on 30 seconds of pre-rendered footage having nothing to do with actual gameplay.

Does the fact that Thief 1 and 2 have proximity landmines in them mean it's a game about blowing up zombies and robots?

Strange, isn't it ? the art designers at Eidos really have some originality in their work
    Those two things don't look that similar. They're both bows. And they both have moving parts. But their joints aren't in the same spots, and it doesn't even look like they're made of the same materials.

Jeez Robert 4222, reach much? So what, every game from this point forward with a compound bow is copying Crysis3? Or maybe you forgot that Thief had bows long before Crysis did? Because of course no other Thief trailiers have shown Garrett shooting a bow.

Un-related? Both use a modern compound bow
    I meant unrelated as in talking about Crysis 3 rather than T4: Awesome Facemask. As in, firing a bow and arrow at a heavily armoured robot space thing is unlikely to have any kind of effect, unless the armour is actually made of clingfilm or something.

(PS totally forgot about the no-swearing policy in ThiefGen, sorry)

No worries.

I want to be the God of Shadows once again! I want to steal and kill silently, to be the ultimate invisible enemy. I want to play the antagonist. I want to look the normal people from above at night and smile mischievously knowing that they live only because of my will! Give me a game where I can be a stealthy, badass, godlike, supreme being of darkness.

I just love how you guys pick the crap apart about the bow, its crazy. Wait for the game, of course I know, it gives us something to talk about.

All hail the sarcasm !!! Did everyone really took my words seriously? Of course it's completely unrelated and Thief has absolutely none similarity with X-shooter or X action game

I apologise for my (very) bad joke

Ah, the classic "C'mon guys, I was just kidding around!" routine, eh? Seen a lot of that around TTLG lately.

And also ...

Oh deer

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Oh deer
    I like that!

Assassin's Creed 3 also has a bow this year. And in movies you've got Hunger Games and Avengers (which even had a rope arrow!). Archery is definitely in.

BEFORE IT WAS COOL, BRO!!

ITT we learn that bows, shockingly, all pretty much look the same.

Yeah, and they all pretty much do the same thing.

But they suck when used as blackjacks.

Well, I'm not trying to be an ass, but this thread is hysterical.

I'm not sure why or how some people think that Thief should bear no resemblance whatsoever to other games, or even modern games. Even TDP had strong elements reminiscent of Tomb Raider, Ultima, Elder Scrolls, etc. Just as much as it has informed many modern stealth games, it was informed by the adventure games of its time. It has not and does not exist in a vacuum. As long as the core gameplay elements are in place (and they look to be from all indications, including the DX:HR gameplay), I would hope the designers would draw from other successful games like SC and AC. I don't want Thief to become those games, but there are certainly elements of both that Thief should incorporate. If the bow from Crysis, Halo, or your mom's solitaire game looks cool and is more practical for a thief, then I want Garrett to have it. It is an aesthetic. And while many missteps in art design can add up to something that doesn't feel like Thief, the fact is, it's 2012 and whatever the team does isn't going to look much like Dark Engine. It can't and it shouldn't. Skyrim was awesome purely because it took all the good ideas that could never be fully fleshed out in the previous ES games and brought them to fruition. Hopefully the same thing will happen with Thief, which means it is inherently going to look and play differently.

I just don't seem to see anyone asking "will it be better?" Everyone seems to be asking "will it be the same?" It's like a bunch of old men sitting on the porch complaining about kids these days.

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    It is an aesthetic.
    Or not.
    And while many missteps in art design can add up to something that doesn't feel like Thief, the fact is, it's 2012 and whatever the team does isn't going to look much like Dark Engine.
    IMHO these two things don't have much to do with the engine. In both cases it's just about a 3D object. The problem is simply a questionable design decision (modern-looking bow lacking the usual medieval or steampunk organic), maybe with implied gameplay consequences (bringing it won't affect stealth because it's foldable...just like the old bow could be hidden inside the cloak, as The Mental Age stories lovingly pointed out). Since most people only stated that it looked out of place, there's nothing hysterical about it.

By the way, the old TDP intro shows the ergonomic wooden laminate grip of modern sport recurve bows. It always turned me off a bit, luckily nothing of it could be seen in the rest of the game. I wouldn't count on that with respect to the next game.

If steam-powered robots and electrical lights don't ruin the medieval-ness for you, then I don't see why a folding bow even matters.

Still Subjective
    Word. Nitpicking at its best.

Why do are so many people bothered by the anachronistic nature of some things and not others. Plus: magic ffs.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

You assume we've accepted everything else...!? You did notice, though, that this discussion was never about anachronism per se? You're actually making this sound awkward in the first place.

On a related note, just found this one: http://www.deviantart.com/#/d4qtdzx

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    this thread is hysterical
    Are we reading the same thread? There's barely anyone not pleased by the trailer, it's an all-time low of thiaf-related negativity besides a few opinions that the bow itself doesn't look too good. What are you on about?

Beleg is being his regular, heavy-handed know-it-all about medieval times but besides him, criticism on the bow is rather fair and reserved, even cheeky with those Crysis and Tomb Raider pics. Anyway, in my opinion, the bow does look like arse. All the rest is promising.
    Last edited by Briareos H; 24th Jun 2012 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Are we reading the same thread? There's barely anyone not pleased by the trailer, it's an all-time low of thiaf-related negativity besides a few opinions that the bow itself doesn't look too good. What are you on about?

Beleg is being his regular, heavy-handed know-it-all about medieval times but besides him, criticism on the bow is rather fair and reserved, even cheeky with those Crysis and Tomb Raider pics. Anyway, in my opinion, the bow does look like arse. All the rest is promising.
    No one noticed the anime Garrett?

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Ah. Clearly a Mechanist bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    That'd be fun, tucked away inside clothing

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast