TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MS Surface - finally a tablet for proper gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    it's not like you can pull a bunch of windows files from your desktop onto the tablet to play around with when you go on a trip -- a bunch of pdfs to read, music & videos without going through some voodoo ritual
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Or hell, just transfer files between it and my desktop without having to jump through iTunes, or jailbreak it and use Filezilla to SSH into it. I could...oh hell...I could drag and drop files on it from explorer. Holy shit, I could probably even see it on the network! THE MIRACLES OF TECHNOLOGY!
    You guys are both iPad users, aren't you? Whilst (imho) this is no killer Android tablet out there putting files onto your Android device is as easy as plugging a USB stick in. Easier. I have 4 methods of getting files onto my tablet. 1.USB cable/port, 2.Transfer over wifi, 3.Transfer over bluetooth, 4. Transfer to the cloud then back down from the cloud.

The only think that is of interest, to me, in these new things is the OS. I do think it's a great idea having a seamless environment, which is why I champion iPhone and iPad combos for Mac users.

But that's it. Unless they are powerful enough to run all my Steam games I don't see any other advantages over other tablets. I'd never do serious work on a tablet anyway, buy ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Those have existed since before 2002, even with a detachable keyboard. Nobody bought them. Apple comes, gets their iPad out and suddenly everyone thinks this is the future of computing.
    I fell for the concept of a tablet PC around the first time saw an XP powered Archos back around 05-06. The reason no one bought them was because, quite frankly, they sucked. Good idea though they were, the initial tablets were cramped, halfassed, and awkward machines to use. Beyond the novelty of it, being able to hold the teasing hint of things to come, there was absolutely no compelling reason to grab a tablet over a proper laptop.

See, I think of tablets as being better laptops than laptops. No, they're not perfect for every conceivable situation that might arise. No one type of computer is. Nor do I believe them to be the entire future of PCs in general. But they are more portable machines than clamshell laptops. Having a tablet you can hold in one hand and manipulate with the other is (at least in my opinion) preferable to having something you have to sit down with, pop open, then lay on your lap or open on a desk to use. I can work with one quicker than the other, in a wider variety of situations.

Think about it. If you were a photographer out doing, I dunno, taking pictures of ironic crap and douchy hipster shit, and you wanted to edit your douchy hipster shots, would you rather have a laptop you have to sit in your lap and hunch over, manipulating a cursor with a mouse nub or touchpad, or something that's basically a single slab you can hold in the crook of your arm while standing up, editing your photos directly onscreen with a couple of finger and a stylus?

Also it's more likely to make you look cooler and get you laid.

The iPad isn't the revelation some people make it out to be, and didn't change everything like all the Apple advertisements claim. But it did do one thing right. It showed the potential of the form factor when someone plays to its strengths. How good it could be, given enough power and flexibility.

If an only slightly bulkier computer from 2007 (my Thinkpad X61 Tablet -- which is one of the best ultraportable laptops ever made) still outperforms CPU-wise the Microsoft Surface "pro", then it means that progress in portable x86 computing has been almost nil and that people are buying into the hype more than the actual thing. Accessibility my arse, only market-criers who manage to shout the loudest when people are most vulnerable.
    Depends on if you think that the progress of a portable CPU is measured solely in performance. These days, CPUs are considerably faster than what most people need. Hell, there's absolutely no reason for most people to upgrade past a Core2Duo and 2GB ram. That's not to say that there's no room for improvement on the performance front, because there will always be people who need that extra oomph. We videogame geek hobbyist types and the always nebulously defined and mysterious high end professional can use all the cores and gigahertz they can get on.

But instead of focusing solely on performance, why not also work on efficiency as well? That benefits us all just as well. Is a new processor generation that only performs 2.3514% better than the previous model, but consumes only half the power and resources any less of an upgrade than a new CPU generation that performs 50% faster? Guess it depends on if you're on a desktop or laptop really. But hey, we'd all love gaming laptops that last 15 hours on a charge, wouldn't we?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Jun 2012 at 04:03.

Knows his stuff
    Heeeey, that looks good! Not terribly expensive, wireless, awesome-looking. Seems like it's only compatible with Atari classic game packs and a few select other titles though, rather than working with everything. That's not optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    You can have a gamepad on Android tablets and lots of tablet portfolio cases come with bluetooth keyboards now.
    I'll admit I'm no expert when it comes to tablets. I looked into what was available when I bought my iPad a couple of years ago, but since then I haven't been amazed by anything else on the market, untill I saw the Surface. Maybe Android-equivalents exist already but having Win 8 as the OS would be pretty sweet. I think I'll wait out the release of the Surface and see what the reviews say. If it totally sucks I'll considering looking into Android tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Heeeey, that looks good! Not terribly expensive, wireless, awesome-looking. Seems like it's only compatible with Atari classic game packs and a few select other titles though, rather than working with everything. That's not optimal.
    If you're big into jailbreaking, it'd work on all the emulators you'll find on Cydia. Just about every one of them supports the iCade stick, and this uses the same API/drivers/whatnots.

Taking a break

It seems like all I do recently is just find pictures online and repost them on TTLG. Why did I ever bother hitting the keyboard in the first place? This is much better.

Knows his stuff
    If you're big into jailbreaking
    Not really, tried to jailbreak it once but my iOS version was too new to be breakable by the thingy I had downloaded. I'm tempted to give it another go though. Emulators+the iCade gamepad might be just the ticket for some proper gaming till my next tablet-upgrade.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Why did I ever bother hitting the keyboard in the first place?
    A question for the ages, why don't you go ponder it somewhere else?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I have 4 methods of getting files onto my tablet. 1.USB cable/port, 2.Transfer over wifi, 3.Transfer over bluetooth, 4. Transfer to the cloud then back down from the cloud.
    It fits into category 2 but you might want to look at AirDroid if you haven't seen it already. It makes it very easy to transfer files using a web browser from a computer (or tablet) on the same network.

I was initially very cynical about tablets, but I do love using my Android tablet for certain applications, particularly those that don't involve significant data input. I know some who don't mind the on-screen keyboard but personally I find it crippling in comparison to a proper keyboard. In comparison to cheap laptops or netbooks it's a luxury item which makes up for some of its user interface limitations with ergonomics and battery life.

I'm a bit concerned that the Pro version of Surface tablet loses some of the ergonomics by being 50% thicker and somewhat heavier than both the basic Surface tablet and competitors' products. That, the likely price point and lower battery life may put the Pro version into a niche position where it gets less attention from developers than more mass-market alternatives.

verbose douchebag
    Hmmmm. This whole conversation is making me revisit my opinion about not wanting a tablet. Will be interested in seeing what comes out in the next few years.

The Alchemist
    Ok, I'm watching the Surface Keynote and all I can do is laugh because the poor guy is having so much trouble getting the thing to do what he wants it to.

Exact moment he has issues.

Also, they need to give this guy less cocaine. Or more... not sure.

Knows his stuff
    Looks like it glitches out so he goes and picks up another tablet to continue the presentation with. Probably a few bugs to iron out yet. Hope they'll get it working as it should by release-time.

The Alchemist
    The thing is that its shit like this that is going to keep this tablet down. I mean I think of the Apple iPad presentations compared to this and it's apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    It fits into category 2 but you might want to look at AirDroid if you haven't seen it already. It makes it very easy to transfer files using a web browser from a computer (or tablet) on the same network.
    Ok, I already transfer files from a web browser with Wifi File Transfer but this AirDroid thing is the shiznit! Wifi File Transfer usurped and bettered

I'll tell you, right now we're in a really nice place with Android. There are a TON of awesome apps out there.