TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween Contest Interest and Progress Thread

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Halloween Contest Interest and Progress Thread

See this thread for Contest Details and Rules :http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...44#post2132244

Looks like we have a contest ! The Moderators Nickie, Tannar, and NightWalker have agreed to organize the contest. Some voting poll sites are being checked out for use.

The contest will be regulated by one rule only: Start time, and Finish time, with the Theme: "Halloween" or Scary. Start time is anytime between July 2nd and October 30th. End of Contest is October 30th, or when the Fan Missions are released. We all agreed to have basically no restrictions. Do anything you like, but just stick to the Halloween Theme, or Scary. You pick. The idea of course is to provide Halloween entertainment, and have some fun trying to win the Contest.

Anonymous entries are Welcome ! The author of course will be identified when all votes are in. Not everyone, (especially the new players) can profile an Authors work.

Prizes: I have some like new gaming software for 1st place and 2nd place winners. I will ship them anywhere in the world. Since I am also a contestant in this contest, if by chance I win 1st or 2nd place, the Prizes will be awarded downline. If I win 1st place, the 1st place prize will go to the 2nd place winner, and the 2nd place prize will go to the 3rd place winner. epithumia-(thiefmissions.com) will also throw some prizes into the pool, where the winners will be able to jump into to select their prizes.

Lets see what happens starting today or tomorrow for more official details. One of the moderators may create an official contest thread.

Anyone interested in a Halloween Contest?

Anyone wanting to host another contest ? TG, T2 ? You know how it is after you spend hundreds of hours on an fm, and release it, only to find out how bored you are, and that you need something?

I was thinking for something to release on Halloween ? You know, Vampires, Werewolves, Undead, Haunts,Fireshadows, Wizards, Goblins, Orcs. Anyone interested ? Would give us 4 months to complete,providing we start by the end of June.

I was also wanting to enter a contest where everyone would vote by a Poll system consisting of the common catagories, but in 4 separate Poll forms. With the old Garrettloader system that Richard Potter developed using his type of grading system, but only like I said above. Each catagory in it's own poll. This way it is public, from start to finish, and the Fans can vote in the Polls just as soon as they finish a mission. The Contestant with the highest score wins. The results of the Polls are visible to all, and the progress of the Contestants winning status can clearly be followed all the way through to the end of the Contest Play period. The comments can be hidden with spoilers, and those that wish to peek could, or the Comments can be submitted to a third party for nonbiased reasons. Then be released when the Winner is announced.

Prizes : I have some like new game software that I would offer to the 1st place winner, and to the 2nd place winner. I would also mail them anywhere in the world. Tempted yet? Also, since I would be a contestant, if by chance I won, I would gladly pass the software down to 2nd and 3rd place winners. Now, does this tempt you even more ? epithumia wants to throw some goodies into the prize pool, so here is a double-double Temptation for entering the Halloween/Scary contest for Halloween 2012.

Progress of your work. Please feel free to post.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 9th Jul 2012 at 13:09. Reason: finalize details

Just throwing this out there - intruder suggested an "Abandoned" contest in a previous thread. How about combining the two ideas? Four months is realistically only enough time for smallerish contest sized missions. Using abandoned missions, larger/grander levels could be achieved.

So...

1) Use an abandoned mission from The Weary Taffer as a base.
    2) Missions must have a scary/horror/Halloween theme.

As far as the poll goes, I'm fine with that, but I still think the poll results should be private/secret. Public polls will only deter people from voting truthfully.

Anyone else out there interested in hosting this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Just throwing this out there - intruder suggested an "Abandoned" contest in a previous thread. How about combining the two ideas? Four months is realistically only enough time for smallerish contest sized missions. Using abandoned missions, larger/grander levels could be achieved.

So...

As far as the poll goes, I'm fine with that, but I still think the poll results should be private/secret. Public polls will only deter people from voting truthfully.

Anyone else out there interested in hosting this time?
    Hi Mike, you are probably right about a better way to vote. A third party who is not in the contest, and hopefully a Moderator. Tannar ? Nickie ? Broken Arts ? NightWalker ? any of you great people want to host this, and keep scores, comments ect? We know that these fine people are honest and fair, and nonbiased, as they are "Moderators"

The abandoned fm along with halloween sounds great to me.

This sounds like a lot of fun, but I want to focus on finish Drymian Codex and then getting back to DCE. I'll be happy to let people pick abandoned missions from my archive, of course, though. A few of those have been used in released missions already, but there's no reason to exclude those. I don't necessarily think we shouldn't allow other abandoned missions, either, as long as they're publicly available to everyone at the start of the contest.
    Last edited by Yandros; 20th Jun 2012 at 22:38.

I might be interested in this one, might help stop me getting burned out trying to finish off Sturmdrang Peak.

A Halloween Contest sounds like a lot of fun. You've managed again to distract me from all my work I'm actually supposed to do

I gotta say though, from a personal standpoint, I'm not as keen on the idea of working from an old mission. Seems like that's been the focus of the last few contests. I'd prefer a size limit. But that's just me; depends on overall interest...

What about having a firm deadline as the only rule of this contest apart from the theme (Halloween/scary/undead/...)?

While browsing through deviantArt I found some inspiring work for a possible Halloween FM:
    Radojavor's Halloween Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    What about having a firm deadline as the only rule of this contest apart from the theme (Halloween/scary/undead/...)?

While browsing through deviantArt I found some inspiring work for a possible Halloween FM:
    Radojavor's Halloween Gallery
    How about Halloween/scary/any creature/undead and a firm deadline to start, and to finish as you say. (It might be fun for some to see a monster rip a guard to shreds, as that might scare them.) What I meant about a firm deadline to start, is just knowing that we have active contestants. Someday I would like to enter a 64x64x64 contest, but for now, I would like nolimits on size. If the contestant wishes to create their own map from scratch, that should be allowed too if it is agreed upon by all.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 22nd Jun 2012 at 08:36.

Sounds good to me.

I wish I could .......
    That'll be the day, when I can make a FM of my own
    Keep hoping I can some day though

I encourage anyone who actually can make the deadline to start right now! and if you need a tester: count me in!!! I'm glad to be of help

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post

So...

I really dislike how many of the recent contests have had these arbitrary restrictions as to what can and cannot be built. I feel that they really cripple creativity and scare away potential authors.

There's a huge difference between vague restrictions on theme ("water", "horror", etc.) and specific restrictions on what you can use ("no custom content", "must be based on an OM", "must be based on an abandoned FM.")
    The former are nice soft restrictions which are largely open for interpretation, while I feel the latter are too harsh and drive away people who might want to make something of their own.

For example, I'm sure there are a lot of authors who love designing and creating the architecture of their mission - something which they can't do very much of if the requirement is for their mission to be based around someone else's architecture.

(And we all know what I think about stock content, from the other example restriction. )

So, what criteria for a contest might tempt you NV? It's been a while since your last mission.

That's more or less how I feel NV - a scary/Halloween theme is nice and broad and fires the imagination. Having to shoe-horn ideas into an existing mission, not so much.

Ok, so what about this set of rules:

1. Contest beginns on XX.XX.2012.
    2. Contest ends on 30.10.2012 (or a few days earlier).
    3. The mission has to feature a Halloween-theme or at least should be considered as "scary".
    4. There is no size limit.
    5. You are allowed to use OMs.
    6. You are allowed to use FMs and abandoned FMs, given that the approval of the original author(s) was granted.
    Last edited by intruder; 24th Jun 2012 at 08:44. Reason: fixed typos

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Ok, so what about this set of rules:

1. Contest beginns on XX.XX.2012.
    2. Contest ends on 30.10.2012 (or a few days earlier).
    3. The mission has to feature a Halloween-theme or at least should be considered as "scaring".
    4. There is no size limit.
    5. You are allowed to use OMs.
    6. You are allowed to use FMs and abandoned FMs, taken that the approval of the original author(s) was granted.
    Perfect !

"You are allowed" sounds so much nicer than "you are required."

So essentially a Halloween theme, no other building restrictions, and your mission HAS to be in on a certain date so it can be released on Halloween. Sound good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    So, what criteria for a contest might tempt you NV? It's been a while since your last mission.
    I'll enter if someone can convince TheNightTerror to collaborate with me on the horror content mission we thought up, started, and abandoned five years ago, shortly before the original Master of Horror contest.

Yeah ... all of these names responding here will guarantee to make this a most interesting contest

BTW: I agree with all Nameless Voice said here .... and .... I've lots of creepy ideas to help someone who's into Dromed!
    Last edited by Gloria Creep; 25th Jun 2012 at 00:53.
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I'll enter if someone can convince TheNightTerror to collaborate with me on the horror content mission we thought up, started, and abandoned five years ago, shortly before the original Master of Horror contest.
    I'm very intrigued by this!

(/also looks back at abandoned ideas from horror contest...)

Definitely a challenge. I'll do my best.

We have three days until the end of this month which would give us all 3-1/2 months to build, complete, and then 2 weeks for beta testing before the deadline of October 31st Halloween.

I am definitely in ! Anyone else ? Nicked ? Intruder ? Nickie ?

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    We have three days until the end of this month which would give us all 3-1/2 months to build, complete, and then 2 weeks for beta testing before the deadline of October 31st Halloween.

Actually, I think nickie was offering to host the contest, courtesy of TTLG.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post

Yeah I'll throw my name in then. You might get more names with a big announcement thread in TEG.