TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dark Mod FM contest insights?

Personally I like Brethren's shot-in-the-dark idea about The Dark Mod about it being too similar to Thief and I think Dark Mod should have a bit of innovation of its own (as it kind of does, actually!)

But another thing that doesn't attach [at least] me as much to Dark Mod is the lack of a solid Single Player campaign with a really believable protagonist like Garrett having a very thrilling adventure. Think about how did you guys feel about Thief 1 when you had played just 4 levels of it? Is it cool? Well, yeah, revolutionary for that time. But only after the whole experience (Constantine, plot twist, finale) did it become so important and such.

So I'm not sure just how well I explained myself in those 2 paragraphs but to sum it up: combining a big adventure with a couple of new things along with forcing everyone to play it (somehow) should develop love for TDM as a game.
    And from what I understand you guys are already on the task with that epic campaign you're building.

Think about how did you guys feel about Thief 1 when you had played just 4 levels of it? Is it cool? Well, yeah, revolutionary for that time. But only after the whole experience (Constantine, plot twist, finale) did it become so important and such.
    Not for me. I was hooked well before the end of Bafford's.

Of course, I never found the Thief "story" to be all that impressive. It was the general aspects of the setting (medieval steampunk), cool hints about different factions, and the attitude (not the specific details, of which there were precious few) of the protagonist, that sold me, alongside the sheer joy of stealth gameplay.